Notices

Bouwmeester to Ottawa

Old
05-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Kid Canesten

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester to Ottawa

Ottawa fan coming in peace,

Over on our board, we've had discussions on who would we like to come in this off-season. Jay Bouwmeester was brought up.

Now my question is is he even available? Are Calgary looking for the cap space since we have it? And if he was available, could he be had for cheap?

All information is greatly appreciated.

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canesten View Post

Over on our board, we've had discussions on who would we like to come in this off-season. Jay Bouwmeester was brought up.

Now my question is is he even available? Are Calgary looking for the cap space since we have it? And if he was available, could he be had for cheap?

If the JBO to Ottawa thread on the main boards is any indication of your stance or what Ottawa expects they can get JBO for I'd say we'd all be better served ending the thread here.

He would definitely be available, I don't know that Calgary moves him without what many fans would consider overpayment, we definitely wouldn't be looking to move him for scraps, despite his underperforming in Calgary he has still done pretty good and we'd create a huge hole in moving him. Not like we'd be moving him with the intention to sign Suter, for instance.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Now my question is is he even available?
For the right price, anyone is available. It would likely be contingent on the Flames finding a top two replacement via trade or UFA.

Quote:
Are Calgary looking for the cap space since we have it?
No. The Flames are losing many large contracts this off-season.

Quote:
And if he was available, could he be had for cheap?
Not for cheap, no. Expect to give up at least a warm body (cap dump), 1st, and an enticing prospect. If the price is too high, we'll keep Boumeester (some of us more gladly than others).

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
For the right price, anyone is available. It would likely be contingent on the Flames finding a top two replacement via trade or UFA.

No. The Flames are losing many large contracts this off-season.

Not for cheap, no. Expect to give up at least a warm body (cap dump), 1st, and an enticing prospect. If the price is too high, we'll keep Boumeester (some of us more gladly than others).
great, now I can't reply because you stole my thunder you damned black licorice lover

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:

What prospects would you want to part with? Now that Cowens been promoted who are your best prospective defenseman?

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
What prospects would you want to part with? Now that Cowens been promoted who are your best prospective defenseman?
they don't really have any. with Cowens being recalled, Rundblad traded and Weircioch regressing I would have to say the next best is probably Chris Wideman a RH offensive defenseman playing for Miami of Ohio in the NCAA.

I don't know if I would do Bouwmeester for a 1st, Wideman and a cap dump though, not that the Sens really have a poor contract to dump, maybe Gonchar? I think I would say no or have them add anadditional pick or prospect.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

If I could get a 1st I'd drive JBo to the airport myself. Much as I hate him, we only really have 2 bonafide top 4 defensemen though. We'd have to pick up a Wideman/Stuart/Jackman/Carle type guy to replace him if we were to move him. But asking for a player, a 1st and a good prospect is just ridiculous. You'd get that for Iginla, Kipper and possibly Giordano. You don't get that for an underperforming #2defenseman making 6.7.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I was thinking something around Mark Stone and the 5 million or so in cap relief.

Powdered Toast Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I was thinking something around Mark Stone and the 5 million or so in cap relief.
I'd have little interest in Stone. The cap space is only useful to us if we can convince a Suter/Parise type to sign here. I highly doubt we have any chance at either player. We'd need a legitimate asset back to downgrade JBo to Carle or something like that. Think Silferberg or a 1st. If you wanted a lesser prospect like Stone or Noesen, I'd want a 2nd and 4th back with them.

Old
05-03-2012, 03:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
We have several boom or bust prospects like Stone so we would be looking for high end prospect talent (fair value or not). He could be had but we aren't looking for cap space so we wouldn't view him as a cap dump, he see him as a overpaid underutilized number 1 defenseman and would expect the same type of value in a trade. In short unless Ottawa gives up a blue chip prospect they won't get Jbo.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Cap space is only valuable if you're up against the cap to begin with (which we are not going into next season) or you can utilize it elsewhere (Suter and Parise won't sign here). It has no value to flames right now.

The only thing I would trade Jaybo for is on of OTT's top prospects either Zibanejad or Silfverberg and a lower pick (3rd or 4th). That is also contingent on us being able to sign a solid replacement via FA.

Jaybo may be overpaid, but he is the only top pairing dman we have.

As a fan of both teams, I have said no for a while Jaybo would be a perfect fit in OTT.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Cap space is only valuable if you're up against the cap to begin with (which we are not going into next season) or you can utilize it elsewhere (Suter and Parise won't sign here). It has no value to flames right now.

The only thing I would trade Jaybo for is on of OTT's top prospects either Zibanejad or Silfverberg and a lower pick (3rd or 4th). That is also contingent on us being able to sign a solid replacement via FA.

Jaybo may be overpaid, but he is the only top pairing dman we have.

As a fan of both teams, I have said no for a while Jaybo would be a perfect fit in OTT.
Disagree, Giordano is a top pairing guy and better than JBo in every area. The stats say so and so do my eyes.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:11 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Disagree, Giordano is a top pairing guy and better than JBo in every area. The stats say so and so do my eyes.
Then why did Jbo play against top lines and Giordano didn't? Why did he play over a minute more on the pk than Gio? He is more a typical defenseman as he likes to hit and use his body but I don't think he is better than Jbo at all.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Then why did Jbo play against top lines and Giordano didn't? Why did he play over a minute more on the pk than Gio? He is more a typical defenseman as he likes to hit and use his body but I don't think he is better than Jbo at all.
He didn't. Giordano played against better competition. Look at stats before you make generalizations.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
He didn't. Giordano played against better competition. Look at stats before you make generalizations.
No he didn't he played against better +- players unless you believe that correlates to better players.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:24 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

OT: I'm not sure why everyone is convinced Parise or Suter would never sign here. Why? Cause they're both American? Because we've missed the playoffs by a few points 3 yrs running? I'm not saying they will, but they'd be dumb not to take a look. We have the cap space to make as good an offer as anyone else, and are a great organization to play for.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRD View Post
OT: I'm not sure why everyone is convinced Parise or Suter would never sign here. Why? Cause they're both American? Because we've missed the playoffs by a few points 3 yrs running? I'm not saying they will, but they'd be dumb not to take a look. We have the cap space to make as good an offer as anyone else, and are a great organization to play for.
Suter has stated he wants to stay in the US so we wouldn't be the top of his list. I believe Parise will only leave the Devils for a better team or Minny(go home) we aren't either of those.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Quote:
Suter has stated he wants to stay in the US so we wouldn't be the top of his list. I believe Parise will only leave the Devils for a better team or Minny(go home) we aren't either of those.
Well to be fair the Devils aren't THAT much of a better team. They finished the season 12 pts up, but also finished the season on a 6 game win streak. They could have went either way.

I don't see Parise signing here, but I hate everyone on HF writing it off as an impossibility. Crazier things have happened for sure.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 04:33 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Well to be fair the Devils aren't THAT much of a better team. They finished the season 12 pts up, but also finished the season on a 6 game win streak. They could have went either way.

I don't see Parise signing here, but I hate everyone on HF writing it off as an impossibility. Crazier things have happened for sure.
Crazier things have happened but in this league 12 points is a pretty big difference. I also don't see Suter leaving a team that is much more competitive to team here when a rebuild could only be a few years away depending on how Feaster deals with this team.

Old
05-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
No he didn't he played against better +- players unless you believe that correlates to better players.
I believe Corsi is a significant stat, but doesn't tell the whole story. Just like I believe +/- is significant, but doesn't tell the whole story. +/- in conjunction with Corsi, SoC and regular NHL stats gives a very good, unbiased picture of a hockey player. You add in what NHL players, coaches and executives like Peca, Bowman and Yzerman have said about the two players and it's pretty easy to tell which one is better.

Old
05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
There is no point in arguing with the guy, his hockey knowledge comes from how he interprets stats, I don't think he has ever even watched a game

Old
05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
The Gnome

my main point about Jaybo being our only top defender is that he is the only guy that can play over 22 minutes a game and keep up a high level of play. Maybe my memory is not serving me right, but when Gio's icetime goes up his contributions on the ice go down.

Gio is at his best in a 2nd pairing role. So we should use him in that role to get a maximum for his contributions to the team.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
For Suter, I think it could come down to what Uncle Gary tells the lad about the organization.

I think Parise wouldn't be a good fit here, that's just my gut feeling though.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:37 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
I want them both to sign in Calgary purely so that the fans of the other 29 teams on HFBoards collectively s--t themselves.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
There is no point in arguing with the guy, his hockey knowledge comes from how he interprets stats, I don't think he has ever even watched a game
Classic. Right everyone who posts here has never watched a game except you. Hockey teams use the stats you hate so much. Maybe they should just call you up and ask what you think. I'm sure the Flames would be a much better team for it. Feaster talks about the pucks system all of the time. They use the exact stats I'm referencing to evaluate players. Opinions are subjective, stats are objective. I'm glad our management makes use of objective tools in player evaluation.