HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group H May 5 Canada 4, United States 5 (OT)

View Poll Results: Who wins this game?
Canada in regulation 54 58.70%
Canada in OT/shootout 14 15.22%
USA in regulation 19 20.65%
USA in OT/shootout 5 5.43%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2012, 10:06 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

vCash: 500
Canada has so much more talent though ):

Old
05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
joe89

This game should fit Howie better. He's much better when he gets some rubber going his way on a regular basis.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:07 AM
espo*

Canada played a much tougher team then the U.S did though, I wonder if the U.S could have beaten that Slovakian team I saw yesterday...............i'm doubtful of it really.

Canada can be a little disjointed and still beat teams like that............the U.S can't.

Something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
France has been together as a team for over a month...and they looked it in the beginning. After the midway point in the second period, the US team started to reeally bring things together.

it will not be easy for some of these teams to gel quickly, but I think the US has a solid group of guys familiar with one another..

I would be more worried about Canada personally. they did not look good in their opener, and they lacked a cohesive unit... whatever issues the US has, Canada has as well...

I still can see Canada pulling out a 3-2 or 4-2 win....but I can easily see it the other way around this early in the tournament

Old
05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'll watch this for at least half an hour and then flip b/w this and Rangers/Caps.

It's pretty funny...I watch a lot of hockey and have never heard of some of the guys on the US team. Surely they could have put together a better squad.
There is always a new guy on the team, especially for this kind of hockey. I am not the most intense hockey fan, but I am familiar with 13 of the guys on the USA team, at least two from the Red Wings. I have seen five of them play in person in the AHL within the last few years.

On the other hand, I never heard of Vlasic or Matt Hackett. Is he related to Jeff from the Blackhawks, Bruins and Canadiens?

Last edited by adsfan: 05-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old
05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Canada has so much more talent though ):

I just used your quote to quote sumfin. Don't mean nuthin'. Not a thing.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:12 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Let's go U-S-A!

Yeah, baby! Do it for the people!

Old
05-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Is the game on at 12:00 or 12:45? Thread title says the former, but TSN has their broadcast starting at 12:45?

Old
05-05-2012, 10:15 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck420 View Post
This is going to become so apparent in the elimination round.

I could honestly see a US game that is won by defensive production as the wear starts to show.
when you have only a handful of quality scoring forwards (until a Oshie, Backes, JVR, etc) arrives, our defense is going to have to help generate our offense...and I think we built a very solid group that is capable of doing that

Old
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

A Great American:

Old
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Single game tickets for this game: 156 eur - 196 eur

By looking at the available tickets for the game I predict maybe 7000-8000 attendance. Sad. This should be sold out but organizers kills the atmosphere.

Still hoping for a good and physical hockey game.
That is absurd. Shame on the organizers.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Flat Stanley

USA! USA! USA!

Old
05-05-2012, 10:21 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Canada has the better forwards, not gonna argue that, but the US has the better defense and by a solid margin imo.

Canada has some older beef on that blueline, something that will cost them longterm. the US has such a quick and mobile defense that it is going to be our calling card

also agree with Jimmy Howard...a true #1 in net for us will make a huge difference
Can't really agree on the defence. Keith is clearly the best on either team, and Bouwmeester is probably second. Butler, Petry, Braun and Faulk certainly don't scare anyone, but of course Schenn and Murray don't do that for Canada either. Vlasic is probably better defensively than any American defenceman and Phaneuf... who knows with him. He's roughly the same as Johnson though. USA has a decent top 3 for this tournament but it isn't an impressive group really. If Canada didn't have the injuries on the blueline I would have them decidedly ahead.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:24 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Can't really agree on the defence. Keith is clearly the best on either team, and Bouwmeester is probably second. Butler, Petry, Braun and Faulk certainly don't scare anyone, but of course Schenn and Murray don't do that for Canada either. Vlasic is probably better defensively than any American defenceman and Phaneuf... who knows with him. He's roughly the same as Johnson though. USA has a decent top 3 for this tournament but it isn't an impressive group really. If Canada didn't have the injuries on the blueline I would have them decidedly ahead.
mobile. mobile. mobile...

the US defense will be mobile, thats my point.

Canada has some solid guys on the blueline, but not overly impressed with their defense. I think on the bigger ice, this is where the US can outskate a lot of their opponents...Outside of Keith, I think its a pretty weak group of dmen personally.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:28 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:

Canada has some solid guys on the blueline, but not overly impressed with their defense. I think on the bigger ice, this is where the US can outskate a lot of their opponents...Outside of Keith, I think its a pretty weak group of dmen personally.
I have to agree. I said before the tournament started that our defence will be our undoing at some point, and I still stand by that statement. However, if the Kings knock out the Blues and the Coyotes knock out the Predators, I'd love to try and add at least one (or both) of Alex Pietrangelo and Shea Weber. We'd have the best defence in the tournament.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:29 AM
therealdeal

Maybe shouldn't be in this thread, but Kyle Quincey is joining Team Canada for the tournament.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:32 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Maybe shouldn't be in this thread, but Kyle Quincey is joining Team Canada for the tournament.
No Pietrangelo/Weber, but still an upgrade on Schenn.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Finnpin

Last edited by Finnpin: 05-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old
05-05-2012, 10:37 AM
undertow

dubnyk should get this start. he was way more dominant at end of season than ward was.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
No Pietrangelo/Weber, but still an upgrade on Schenn.
He's there to play a more full time role in the place of Murray. Explain to me how Schenn was horrible last game, it's obvious you don't watch the game and just see him and watch for his mistakes and think he's bad, never noticing all the simple and effective things he completes. Put your nhl crap aside people and watch the games with two eyes before you talk crap about a player on an internet forum. Sheesh never thought i'd have to defend a leafs player in my life.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:43 AM
JackSlater

Quote:

I don't really see that being a huge issue... the Canadian defencemen are generally better all things included. Being more mobile won't suddenly make Butler or Petry better than Phaneuf. Keith and Bouwmeester can move as well as any American defenceman, and Vlasic isn't bad either. Murray is a very strong skater; his primary issue is lack of experience. Phaneuf and Schenn are the only mobility concerns.

In any event, I'm hoping for a good game with no injuries either way. Hopefully the refs are at least mildly competent as well.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:48 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I don't really see that being a huge issue... the Canadian defencemen are generally better all things included. Being more mobile won't suddenly make Butler or Petry better than Phaneuf. Keith and Bouwmeester can move as well as any American defenceman, and Vlasic isn't bad either. Murray is a very strong skater; his primary issue is lack of experience. Phaneuf and Schenn are the only mobility concerns.

In any event, I'm hoping for a good game with no injuries either way. Hopefully the refs are at least mildly competent as well.
how much do you expect an 18 year old kid to play on your blueline?

again, this is team Canada we are talking about here, when you are adding an 18 year old junior to your top 6 it really shows me the lack of overall talent the squad has.

Murray is a good kid, but with the amount of depth and talent you have he should not even get a sniff here. He is a solid player, but I am really confused by his addition as I dont think he will be that elite of a player in the NHL..or right now in this tournament.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Meh. We have one good line. Good thing it's only the WC.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Elever
Hth

Dammit why couldn't this be 2 hrs later? I wanna watch the CL final.

Old
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Looks like Quincey is joining Team Canada, don't know if he's playing tonight though.

05-05-2012, 10:52 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
He's there to play a more full time role in the place of Murray. Explain to me how Schenn was horrible last game, it's obvious you don't watch the game and just see him and watch for his mistakes and think he's bad, never noticing all the simple and effective things he completes. Put your nhl crap aside people and watch the games with two eyes before you talk crap about a player on an internet forum. Sheesh never thought i'd have to defend a leafs player in my life.
It's funny because I'm a Leafs fan and I watch Schenn on a nightly basis. He's as slow and lumbering as they come and that's on NHL ice. He will get burned by the speedy forwards over here, just watch.

Closed Thread