HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Trade Anderson, Draft Malcolm Subban

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
  #76
Al Cverik
Registered User
 
Al Cverik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
Andy is one of the biggest reasons you get in the playoffs when everyone thought you would be in the basement of the conference. To even think of trading him (even through the middle of a rebuild) would kill the mentality and morale of the guys under contract and the prospects. Eliminated and a week and a half later get rid of the goaltender. UNBELEIVABLE!!! What's next?? Calling for Maclean to be fired because we didn't go
82-0.??

Al Cverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:20 PM
  #77
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
We made the playoffs ahead of schedule.

If trading Anderson now can land us the next Chris Pronger and / or Bobby Ryan, of course you make that trade.

We are still a rebuilding team. Like it or not, guys like Anderson and Alfredsson are not going to be around when the team is a true contender again.

Lehner has already proved that he can play at the NHL level, and he is still only 20.

This is about looking ahead 3 years, not to next season where MAYBE we make the playoffs again.

Anderson is a truly valuable trading chip. Murray should be listening to offers for him If he's not then he isn't doing his job.

It's not about taking the article seriously. I think it's a legitimate idea, and of all the nonsense that Brennan comes up with, this one doesn't even rank so I don't get why anyone is actually upset over this and calling for his head to roll over it.

The real irony is that you people that constantly freak out over what Brennan writes are the ones that are keeping him employed.

Indifference is the real weapon. Nobody cares, nobody reads, writer is turfed.

All you are doing is validating his employment.
See that is the dumb part... We are a contender NOW. Anderson has 3 more years on his deal, all you need to do is make the playoffs and you are at least a contender these days. Will we be deeper and better as Cowen, Silfverberg, Turris and so many others come off their entry level or very cheap deals? When our bottom 6 or 7 forwards aren't making almost all less then $1 million a season save Neil.

By that logic we should just trade Neil now too... He could get us a good return and he likely won't be around in 2015/16 when we are supposed to be "serious contenders".

Anderson was a great goalie all season AND in the playoffs, why would we even consider trading him for anything? Let's say we traded Anderson instead of Rundblad for Turris? That is basically what Brennan is suggesting... What would have happened? Likely we just don't make the playoffs... at all.

Most important and best Senators this past season were 1) Karlsson, 2) Spezza and 3) Anderson. Some might include Alfredsson.

I really, really think so many Sens fans and NHL fans don't get how good Anderson was this season. You can look at his save percentage or goals against and see him as an average starter, a decent goalie but not a great one. This team leaves the goalie out to dry a lot from the style they play. Anderson might be the BEST possible goalie for this team. At least how he played this season. He might not be the best goalie for many or any other team but the confidence he gives us, his ability to almost never have a bad game, but just the odd bad goal is huge. We have just never had it on Ottawa before. Other goalies would melt down if they struggled for a period and let in sOme bad goals but Anderson is the key to third period comebacks. He gives the team such confidence to feel that if they are within a goal or two 40 minutes into a game they truly believe they can or will come back to win. It is so huge. Anderson has swagger, he has confidence and he is able to actually WIN games... Lots of games 47 games so far in a Senators uniform in only 1.2 seasons. 47 wins. In only a season plus the deadline season the year before.

Why would you want to trade him? We know as Sens fans the immense value of a goalie that a team is confident behind and doesn't worry about at all. You can't worry about being scored on a ton and also play an uptempo possession game like the Sens do.

Anderson is so much more valuable to the Senators then he would be to another team, it is silly to trade him now or anytime soon I think.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:26 PM
  #78
Philadelphia Collins
Registered User
 
Philadelphia Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
After 20 years, we have a (young) #1 goalie

now lets trade him for prospects and start the process over, and somehow become better in the process

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:18 AM
  #79
Caseus
squirrelly wrath
 
Caseus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Don can count to potato.
I was all set to post a very nasty, very vocal response to Brennan's column, but you summed it up better than I could.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:51 AM
  #80
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Don can count to potato.
One potato, two potato, three potato four, five potato, six potato, seven potato, more?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:11 AM
  #81
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps
 
Andre Benoit Bawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 50
Step 1: Trade Anderson
Step 2: Draft Malcolm Subban
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit


overused but this truly rings true in this case

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:27 AM
  #82
tony d
The man
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,259
vCash: 500
Yeah, that's what we'll do trade a top 10-15 goalie in the league and the reason we made the playoffs. As others have said Brennan must be trying to get fired.

__________________
People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:00 AM
  #83
Madskillz65
Registered User
 
Madskillz65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Why don't we just trade Spezza instead?

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:58 AM
  #84
Matt The Ace
@MattTheAce
 
Matt The Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Carleton Place, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Matt The Ace
You want Brennan to stop writing articles? Stop reading them and make complaints!

Trading Anderson would fetch us a lot but there is no point of trading him and drafting a goaltender. We would be taking a BIG step backwards and a HUGE gamble of a draft pick.

Plus neither Bishop nor Lehner can take over as number 1 right now. They have yet to prove that they can take over and lead an NHL team to the playoffs.

Don't even follow this clown on Twitter. I am definitely unfollowing.

Also if you want to follow me on Twitter: @CelticSenator

Matt The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
  #85
CarknerCountry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSenator View Post
You want Brennan to stop writing articles? Stop reading them and make complaints!

Trading Anderson would fetch us a lot but there is no point of trading him and drafting a goaltender. We would be taking a BIG step backwards and a HUGE gamble of a draft pick.

Plus neither Bishop nor Lehner can take over as number 1 right now. They have yet to prove that they can take over and lead an NHL team to the playoffs.

Don't even follow this clown on Twitter. I am definitely unfollowing.

Also if you want to follow me on Twitter: @CelticSenator
Love how fans say Bishop nor Lehner cant take over...How do you know that?? I for one think Bishop can...Look at holtby with the caps as proof...Would there be growing pains? of course..If Sens fans think all three will be happy for years your sadly mistaken..


Last edited by CanadianHockey: 05-06-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
  #86
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Love how fans say Bishop nor Lehner cant take over...How do you know that?? I for one think Bishop can...Look at holtby with the caps as proof...Would there be growing pains? of course..If Sens fans think all three will be happy for years your sadly mistaken..
Right. We don't KNOW that. We also don't KNOW that Mike Brodeur couldn't of been a franchise goalie for us based on those 3 wins he had for us. We just didn't KNOW.

Bishop is not a true #1 goalie, plain and simple. There is no tip-toeing around it. And explain to me what you expect to get out of trading away Anderson? I've yet to hear a legitimate trade proposal that would be a good idea.

You talk about people being sadly mistaken, yet you spout off that "Bishop could do it" without giving any statistical proof or logical reasoning as to WHY this would be a good idea. You, are sadly mistaken.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:42 AM
  #87
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 14,602
vCash: 500
I don't think it has been said, but would Anderson actually fetch a lot in return? It doesn't seem goalies ever have a big trade market or trade value for that matter. We probably would not get anything that great for Anderson to begin with, because I don't see him as a player that management of other teams would want to spend a lot to acquire. I'm a huge Anderson fan too, it just seems like he doesn't get that much respect/hype in the NHL and I could see GM's being weary of giving up a lot to get him. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I always saw it.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:57 AM
  #88
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSenator View Post
You want Brennan to stop writing articles? Stop reading them and make complaints!

Trading Anderson would fetch us a lot but there is no point of trading him and drafting a goaltender. We would be taking a BIG step backwards and a HUGE gamble of a draft pick.

Plus neither Bishop nor Lehner can take over as number 1 right now. They have yet to prove that they can take over and lead an NHL team to the playoffs.

Don't even follow this clown on Twitter. I am definitely unfollowing.

Also if you want to follow me on Twitter: @CelticSenator
How can you complain about his articles if you don't read them?

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 12:18 PM
  #89
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,864
vCash: 500
It wouldnt be right IMO.

1. You have Bishop and Lehner
2. You need a goalie with experiences in this season, if Bishop or Lehner show or both show that he can bed the first, in this case yes, but either in the season or after the next season

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
  #90
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront
 
QuietOnTheFront's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Jimmy Howard is amused by your comments.
Then Jimmy Howard must not have watched any of the trade deadline segments. Why do you think Detroit tried to sign Nabokov a year ago? A goalie can look extremely talented in a solid system. Are you forgetting Brian Elliot's transformation from sieve to Vezina candidate? Numbers don't always tell the story of a goaltender's actual talent.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
  #91
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™
 
John Holmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,623
vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
Then Jimmy Howard must not have watched any of the trade deadline segments. Why do you think Detroit tried to sign Nabokov a year ago? A goalie can look extremely talented in a solid system. Are you forgetting Brian Elliot's transformation from sieve to Vezina candidate? Numbers don't always tell the story of a goaltender's actual talent.
True dat!


John Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 02:52 PM
  #92
Holdurbreathe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
See that is the dumb part... We are a contender NOW. Anderson has 3 more years on his deal, all you need to do is make the playoffs and you are at least a contender these days. Will we be deeper and better as Cowen, Silfverberg, Turris and so many others come off their entry level or very cheap deals? When our bottom 6 or 7 forwards aren't making almost all less then $1 million a season save Neil.

By that logic we should just trade Neil now too... He could get us a good return and he likely won't be around in 2015/16 when we are supposed to be "serious contenders".

Anderson was a great goalie all season AND in the playoffs, why would we even consider trading him for anything? Let's say we traded Anderson instead of Rundblad for Turris? That is basically what Brennan is suggesting... What would have happened? Likely we just don't make the playoffs... at all.

Most important and best Senators this past season were 1) Karlsson, 2) Spezza and 3) Anderson. Some might include Alfredsson.

I really, really think so many Sens fans and NHL fans don't get how good Anderson was this season. You can look at his save percentage or goals against and see him as an average starter, a decent goalie but not a great one. This team leaves the goalie out to dry a lot from the style they play. Anderson might be the BEST possible goalie for this team. At least how he played this season. He might not be the best goalie for many or any other team but the confidence he gives us, his ability to almost never have a bad game, but just the odd bad goal is huge. We have just never had it on Ottawa before. Other goalies would melt down if they struggled for a period and let in sOme bad goals but Anderson is the key to third period comebacks. He gives the team such confidence to feel that if they are within a goal or two 40 minutes into a game they truly believe they can or will come back to win. It is so huge. Anderson has swagger, he has confidence and he is able to actually WIN games... Lots of games 47 games so far in a Senators uniform in only 1.2 seasons. 47 wins. In only a season plus the deadline season the year before.

Why would you want to trade him? We know as Sens fans the immense value of a goalie that a team is confident behind and doesn't worry about at all. You can't worry about being scored on a ton and also play an uptempo possession game like the Sens do.

Anderson is so much more valuable to the Senators then he would be to another team, it is silly to trade him now or anytime soon I think.
Wrong.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:37 PM
  #93
Senateurs
No rispek!!
 
Senateurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,275
vCash: 500
I'm all for drafting Subban and I do agree Anderson will never have as much value than right now, that is about all I agree with his article.

Subban is still far away from the NHL, maybe PK will be UFA when Malcom has a shot as a backup for Lehner.

I see Lehner as our future #1 but even though he won the Calder cup two years ago, I hasn't looked good this year. I think a full year as back up behind Anderson will do wonders for his devloppment. Wether Alfie comes back or not, it will be very difficult to duplicate this season on a player to player basis and we still finished in 8th.

I can't imagine going into next season with an unproven 21yo AHLer and an average goaltender as a pair. We need Anderson, end of story.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
  #94
Sens Rule
Registered User
 
Sens Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I don't think it has been said, but would Anderson actually fetch a lot in return? It doesn't seem goalies ever have a big trade market or trade value for that matter. We probably would not get anything that great for Anderson to begin with, because I don't see him as a player that management of other teams would want to spend a lot to acquire. I'm a huge Anderson fan too, it just seems like he doesn't get that much respect/hype in the NHL and I could see GM's being weary of giving up a lot to get him. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I always saw it.
Anderson does have a decent salary but with a recent low trade value for goalies and the fact likely Thomas and Luongo are traded this off season plus other available goalies I don't think Anderson has this massive trade value. Some team might really like him and want to give up a good roster player for him but unlikely a star. Maybe not even that. Bishop might have as much value as a useful cheap backup then a starter on a 3 year deal.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
  #95
Matt The Ace
@MattTheAce
 
Matt The Ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Carleton Place, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Matt The Ace
I got a reply from Don Brennan. Cut the weeds out and stop reading and following etc.


Matt The Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
  #96
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,946
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticSenator View Post
I got a reply from Don Brennan. Cut the weeds out and stop reading and following etc.

What does that even mean?

Image didn't work.

__________________

Senators | 67's | Texans | Blue Jays
Formerly: Manked, Mighty Manked, SeanMonahan
Follow me on Twitter @TyFi10
Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:28 AM
  #97
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I don't think it has been said, but would Anderson actually fetch a lot in return? It doesn't seem goalies ever have a big trade market or trade value for that matter. We probably would not get anything that great for Anderson to begin with, because I don't see him as a player that management of other teams would want to spend a lot to acquire. I'm a huge Anderson fan too, it just seems like he doesn't get that much respect/hype in the NHL and I could see GM's being weary of giving up a lot to get him. I could be totally wrong, but that's how I always saw it.
Best comparable is probably Halak, who had more consistent numbers over a longer period of time, who also brought his team to the conference finals, getting a 1st and 3rd.

Bishop got a 2nd, however he is younger and was basically an AHL mvp.

I don't see any situation where Craig Anderson brings much of anything of value back. His GAA was still high this year, and he also is considered inconsistent.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:32 AM
  #98
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Love how fans say Bishop nor Lehner cant take over...How do you know that?? I for one think Bishop can...Look at holtby with the caps as proof...Would there be growing pains? of course..If Sens fans think all three will be happy for years your sadly mistaken..
I would give Holtby a full season before saying he is the real deal.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 07:41 AM
  #99
TeamRenzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
How can you complain about his articles if you don't read them?
I think that is his point stop reading the articles and you wont have a reason to complain.

I dont get why everyone jumps on Brennan, his article did exactly what is was supposed to do create controversy and sell papers.

Further to that he may actually have a point, I dont agree with his point but we may in fact have a goaltending controversy next year. If the likes of Bishop, Lehner and Anderson are all ready to play in the NHL then who plays in Bingo?

What if Anderson gets outplayed in training camp?

As a manager you have to look at potential problems from all angles.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
  #100
rbkhockey29
Registered User
 
rbkhockey29's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Bishop is a good goalie but the way everyone was talking about him prior to his arrival, you'd think he was the second coming of Ken Dryden..
IMHO i think Lehner played better in his call up games than Bishop did in his. I honestly think Lehner is NHL ready. I hope the kids head is in the right spot after seeing all of his buddies promoted and he wasnt...


Last edited by rbkhockey29: 05-08-2012 at 08:11 AM.
rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.