HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

World Championships

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
  #151
Shrimper
WinItFor#58
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 62,439
vCash: 50
Would very much like him as a back-up.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  #152
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
A 34 year old rookie for a backup? I'm not sure about that.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:57 AM
  #153
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,702
vCash: 500
Not surprised. I figured the Pens would start turning over every stone imaginable to find better goalie depth. Our lack of it really got exposed last season.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:01 PM
  #154
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 15,874
vCash: 500
We really need goaltenders. With BJ & Thiessen failing horribly this year.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:01 PM
  #155
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
I mean, it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't anoint any rookie as the de facto backup.

Now, if he'd agree to a two-way deal and then we could sign a guy like Conklin, Ellis or Leighton and let the two compete for the job, I'd be cool with that.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
  #156
Will Hunting
Registered User
 
Will Hunting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: European Union
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I mean, it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't anoint any rookie as the de facto backup.

Now, if he'd agree to a two-way deal and then we could sign a guy like Conklin, Ellis or Leighton and let the two compete for the job, I'd be cool with that.
Vehanen is just different level comparing to Conklin or Leighton. He has over 97% till now on WCH(has some very solid saves also today). He also have had 3 straight playoffs in KHL with 93,7%, 95,7% and 94,3% respectively. He is very good and very probably has some pride. He probably wouldn´t accept a deal where he isn´t 100% sure about his job. 20-25 games (as mentioned in that article) is a minimum what Vehanen is worth and could accept. Man, he could also bring some serious competition for MAF (and maybe earn some more games). That competition for MAF is that much needed. Many are considering him as a best goalie outside of NHL and I am also one of them and that´s without big doubts.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
  #157
Penslaaja
Registered User
 
Penslaaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Vehanen is just different level comparing to Conklin or Leighton. He has over 97% till now on WCH(has some very solid saves also today). He also have had 3 straight playoffs in KHL with 93,7%, 95,7% and 94,3% respectively. He is very good and very probably has some pride. He probably wouldn´t accept a deal where he isn´t 100% sure about his job. 20-25 games (as mentioned in that article) is a minimum what Vehanen is worth and could accept. Man, he could also bring some serious competition for MAF (and maybe earn some more games). That competition for MAF is that much needed. Many are considering him as a best goalie outside of NHL and I am also one of them and that´s without big doubts.
This 100%

Penslaaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
  #158
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Lots of "best players outside the NHL" flop and one that's 34 and hasn't played a game in North America seems even riskier than a guy like Gustavsson, Pesonen, etc. How much room for improvement is a 34 year old going have? He might already be on the verge of declining.

I don't doubt Vehanen wants guarantees to come over. But if I were a GM I'd be hesitant to do so. You'd want a plan B if Vehanen stinks, or is unhappy with his role and goes back to Europe.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
  #159
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 15,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Lots of "best players outside the NHL" flop and one that's 34 and hasn't played a game in North America seems even riskier than a guy like Gustavsson, Pesonen, etc. How much room for improvement is a 34 year old going have? He might already be on the verge of declining.

I don't doubt Vehanen wants guarantees to come over. But if I were a GM I'd be hesitant to do so. You'd want a plan B if Vehanen stinks, or is unhappy with his role and goes back to Europe.
As long as it's not a long term deal & there is some kind of depth in the AHL it wouldn't hurt to take a shot. Problem is we don't have the depth in the AHL. The entire goalie situation through out the organization has fallen out in a matter of a season.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:24 PM
  #160
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 500
Yea he can't be any worse than what we have.

Today's game was an absolute snoozer. Geno picked up an assist i think. This new format with all these games is too much. IIHF and it's sponsers have really lost the plot.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:30 PM
  #161
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,477
vCash: 500
Geno now with 14 pts in 7 games.

7 goals and 7 assists.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
  #162
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Yea he can't be any worse than what we have.

Today's game was an absolute snoozer. Geno picked up an assist i think. This new format with all these games is too much. IIHF and it's sponsers have really lost the plot.
Yup ... team Russia was on autopilot for this one. Not really sure how they managed a 4-0 shut out for as little effort as they put into it.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 09:49 PM
  #163
EM71
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Yup ... team Russia was on autopilot for this one. Not really sure how they managed a 4-0 shut out for as little effort as they put into it.
They were playing Italy.
They could of beaten them with half the team blindfolded and the other half back in the hotel.

But all seriousness, after taking out the Swedes and the Czechs and basically locking up 1st place in their group its kind of hard to get up for a game against probably the worst team at the tournament.
The quarterfinals can't start soon enough.

EM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:00 PM
  #164
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM71 View Post
They were playing Italy.
They could of beaten them with half the team blindfolded and the other half back in the hotel.

But all seriousness, after taking out the Swedes and the Czechs and basically locking up 1st place in their group its kind of hard to get up for a game against probably the worst team at the tournament.
The quarterfinals can't start soon enough.
Yeah, there's that

I read a couple of Google Translate mangled articles where they were saying they played maybe 80% ... enough for a decent warm up, not enough to potentially get hurt ... basically they treated it like a practice.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
  #165
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,070
vCash: 500
Quarterfinals are all but set right now.

Russia vs Norway
Sweden vs Czech

Canada vs Slovakia
USA vs Finland

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
  #166
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Quarterfinals are all but set right now.

Canada vs Slovakia

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:31 AM
  #167
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Quarterfinals are all but set right now.

Russia vs Norway
Sweden vs Czech

Canada vs Slovakia
USA vs Finland
Well people will get a chance to see the Finnish goalie who may be Fleury's back up next season. By the way, I am just a little bit pleased to see John Curry on the USA roster. He seemed like a decent guy when he was with the Penguins.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
  #168
Saku11
Registered User
 
Saku11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Kimmo Porttila ‏ @KimmoPorttila
Kysyin äsken Datsjukilta, mitä Ovetchkin ja Semin tuovat joukkueeseen. "Varusteita ja mailoja". #owned #mm2012

Translate:
I just asked Datsyuk that what Ovetchkin and Semin will bring to the team. "Equipment and sticks".
lololol

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:09 PM
  #169
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏ @dchesnokov
It looks like Malkin won't be the center for Ovechkin and Semin. The line will probably look Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Semin.
And so begins Semin's recruitment to Detroit...

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
  #170
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saku11 View Post
Kimmo Porttila ‏ @KimmoPorttila
Kysyin äsken Datsjukilta, mitä Ovetchkin ja Semin tuovat joukkueeseen. "Varusteita ja mailoja". #owned #mm2012

Translate:
I just asked Datsyuk that what Ovetchkin and Semin will bring to the team. "Equipment and sticks".
lololol
Rofl.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:44 PM
  #171
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 500
Time:
8:45am et/12:45 gmt/14:45 cet
Russia vs Norway Quarterfinal today.

Ovie and Semin join Geno, Datsyuk and crew.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:18 AM
  #172
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,477
vCash: 500
Slovaks beat Canada! Slovaks beat Canada!


Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:42 AM
  #173
TheEdge27
Registered User
 
TheEdge27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 528
vCash: 543
Radio just said USA plays at 1130, are these games streamed anywhere? Sorry if this has already been covered.

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:46 AM
  #174
DegenX
Mixing the Kool-Aid
 
DegenX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
Radio just said USA plays at 1130, are these games streamed anywhere? Sorry if this has already been covered.
USA game may be on NBC sports, if not
http://www.sportlemon.tv/c-3.html

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
  #175
TheEdge27
Registered User
 
TheEdge27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 528
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
USA game may be on NBC sports, if not
http://www.sportlemon.tv/c-3.html
Thank you so much. My workday just got a lot better!

TheEdge27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.