HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ovechkin leaves feet to headshot Girardi

Old
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
can't even blame him for using the "left my feet to protect myself" excuse. The NHL/Shanahan already pardoned Neal for leaving his feet and cited that rationale despite the fact that Neal had to 'protect' himself from an unaware opponent without the puck who was approached from the blindside. Hell, that make Ovechkin look like an angel since the puck was close and he hit Girardi from the front.

It's a joke but the sad truth is that the discipline may have taken a step backwards under Shanahan. Shanny is just the mouthpiece of Bettman and the owners... Protect the stars from injury at the hands of no-name. Violence and stars make money, not Girardi, not Cotourie (yet), no Fedetenko. The bottom line for them is keeping the moneymakers on the ice, so forget about checking stars cleanly and forget about suspending them either.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

He jumped! He cleary jumped into Girardy.

Ovie is knowing to leave the ice when hitting ... let's be real.

It was dirty and should be penalized.

Nonetheless, what goes around comes around.

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:24 PM
goalieboy82

if the hit was done in a rec league or high school league, the person would most likely be ban for a few years (or life). i wonder why sometimes no one decide to do this to players like ovi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMi-j7W2gM
edit, end nsfw

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
can't even blame him for using the "left my feet to protect myself" excuse. The NHL/Shanahan already pardoned Neal for leaving his feet and cited that rationale despite the fact that Neal had to 'protect' himself from an unaware opponent without the puck who was approached from the blindside.
Hagelin's defense for the forearm on Alfredsson was "I saw a stick coming at my face and I reacted by throwing my arms up as I was finishing the check to protect myself from the stick. "
Shanny didn't buy it-- but if you watch the hit on Alph you can see that a stick clearly is coming at Hagelin's face before his arms come up to react to it. No stick>>No elbow.

There's no consistency. League needs DISTINCTIVE guidelines for suspensions.. a point system or something to assure consistency between teams/players.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
it's obvious that there is a small group of players, about one or two per team, who take whole shifts looking for an explosive check. it's within the letter of the law but - to me - totally outside the spirit of the game. a check is to take the puck away, not to injure. but every team has a guy or two who are out there just to injure. i'll call it against a ranger - like when wolski elbowed alfredsson. that was wrong. but guys like hendrcks and neil. they are literally four or five shifts a period where there's a major chance of injury. this is where the league needs to clamp down. i don't even think ovchkin was out to hurt girardi. but he took his pot shot. cuz girardi has been *all over* him this series. but still, this is a symptom of a general lack of respect for other players. and a desire to *set a tone* with a big injurious hit. it's really not hockey. call me a wimp, all you want. i am happy to see two adults run into each other, but these *catch you with your head down* attempts to injure, they just suck.
I agree, to me it's not hockey.

The seek and destroy mentality needs to leave the game. Checking needs to be to separate the other player from the puck. Too often we see guys that aren't even concerned where the puck is. These hits, like Neil's on Boyle, Torres on Hossa, Cooke on Savard have no hockey purpose; they only serve to injure an opponent.

And yes I too believe the Ovechkin charge has a lot to do with Girardi being a big minutes defenseman. To some extent guys like Orr and Bourque were always targeted to wear them down in the playoffs but that doesn't mean players were leaping at their heads to injure them.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
that 2 minute minor is the most o*****kin will see from it.

the Rangers look like little girls this series. I'm wondering where that killer instinct that we saw in the regular season went.
Very well said!
The guys on the ice should have settled it right then and there, even if it was OV, hit him in the head as well!
We've been playing like ******* since the playoffs started, and we don't have the talent to match the Caps chance for chance. Keep on taking the body, and for god's sake let's initiate some hard contact, rather than stand by watching.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:39 PM
bmw2004

They wouldn't know how to explain themselves. Thats ehy there will be no hearing.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
goalieboy82

i wonder what will happen if someone would to get hit by ovi (or other players like him) and wont be able to play again. there comes a point in which the league is held responsible in court of law because they knew the player was dirty player and did nothing about it.

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
bubba5

Does anyone hear really think ovy is getting anything. Don't forget no injury on the play too.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Dorado*

The only thing positive I have to say about Ovie and his style o hitting is he goes over the middle as much as Al Toon ( original Concussion syndrome poster boy from the NY jets ) did . Eventually he will get his .
What I never liked was a player like Scott Stevens who virtually never handled the puck in open ice ( basically handed off to Neidermeyer ) as a stay at home D man yet was the quintessential predatory hitter . Eventually some one caught him .
On a side note as a rookie Eric lindros beat the crap out of him long before he started catching 88 with his head down

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:54 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Step 1: Dress Scott for Mitchell
Step 2:
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Everyone profits but Scott, who serves suspension

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 06:55 PM
alcoraces

Never mind that Girardi braced himself for a hit while Ovechkin was still looking down at the puck in his skates or that he had more time to get his head up than Ovechkin had to brace his own body. Charging was a borderline call at best, in the end he only left his feet in order to protect himself on what was an unavoidable collision. He deserved the two minutes but at least he didn't take the worst of the hit nor will anything more come of it. Maybe a few more ranger tears but other than that, this play is a non-issue.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:06 PM
bmw2004

Don't suspend him please. Just treat him with his own leagal pill on Monday and hope for the best outcome. **** you Овца.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:11 PM
useref15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoraces View Post

Never mind that Girardi braced himself for a hit while Ovechkin was still looking down at the puck in his skates or that he had more time to get his head up than Ovechkin had to brace his own body. Charging was a borderline call at best, in the end he only left his feet in order to protect himself on what was an unavoidable collision. He deserved the two minutes but at least he didn't take the worst of the hit nor will anything more come of it. Maybe a few more ranger tears but other than that, this play is a non-issue.
So you're showing us a pic of before he left his feet to hit his head? C'mon....what do you expect us to say after you post that pic? If I wasn't on my phone, I'd show you the screenshot of him with both skates in the air and his shoulder hitting Girardi in the head.

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Dorado*

It really is pretty simple OVIE always goes to the middle hit him high and hard

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:32 PM
alcoraces

Girardi actually drops his shoulders and skates into Ovechkin and initiates the contact. There is no argument that Ovechkin left his feet after the first point of contact, and for that reason alone, the charging call is tough to dispute.

Keep whining though, nothing is going to come of it. Those that know the game know that this hit is not worthy of anything more than the 2 minutes that were doled out on the ice.

Do something about it on Monday night then, Ovechkin hates being hit. And he hates it when the opposing team's fans pay so much attention to him. Keep it up! Please.

alcoraces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Girardi actually drops his shoulders and skates into Ovechkin and initiates the contact. There is no argument that Ovechkin left his feet after the first point of contact, and for that reason alone, the charging call is tough to dispute.

Keep whining though, nothing is going to come of it. Those that know the game know that this hit is not worthy of anything more than the 2 minutes that were doled out on the ice.

Do something about it on Monday night then, Ovechkin hates being hit. And he hates it when the opposing team's fans pay so much attention to him. Keep it up! Please.
trolls le sigh (that's speaking canadien right?). enjoy your golf season... if you guys even play golf in the snow.. i'm not sure. probably one of those few clueless sens fans that trolled here during round 1 that was calling carkner a hero. too bad he couldn't score more goals or play better defense... just kidding, it's not bad at all .

watch the video. g def doesn't initiate contact rofl. that's probably the dumbest assertion that i've heard yet. he's playing the puck, ovi completely ignores the puck and charges girardi, leaps and hits him high(follow-through gets his head--and if his head is hit as a result of a leap then he is responsible for hitting the head--see ovi on mechalik's suspension video)

Old
05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

ovi hip checks girardi and fights dubi-- dubi is all chill buddy buddy pal with ovi. ovi def showed respect. i'd take him here in a heartbeat. (and i'm sure the room would, too)

he made a bad move--deserves a suspension if only because it was a high hit caused by launching and he's got a history with it, but idk.. not a big deal if it doesn't happen. slowly more and more inclined to side with the guy. he def looks like he is kicking at the puck, but idk if he's actually trying to play it or just skating--his head is up the whole time... but if he kicked at the puck, maybe that's what caused his feet to lift?

idk... i still think the non-call on the trip that lead to the gwg was the most sour aspect of this game.

g even had the perfect amount of camaraderie in his post-game interview. sounded like he was only trying to point out that he was hit in the head because he knows his team will benefit from ovi being suspended and didn't want to hurt the odds. glad danny is okay. hope ovi gets the suspension because it was a late hit, lined him up, and launched enough to hit him high, but i won't lose sleep if he isn't.

Old
05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
mullichicken25

If this league had any integrity then he would get a small suspension....unfortunately this league is a complete joke and a disgrace to the greatest game in the world

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:39 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Not only will he get nothing, it wont be looked at.
Came here to post this.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Shanahan is practicing his delivery right now. He will look serious, will convey an attitude of a man who understands the importance of his position, and then will pronounce no further action.

After all, such unbiased luminaries as Bruce Boudreau stated that Ovechkin was skating off, then all of a sudden a player appeared in front of him and he quickly reacted in a defensive manner.
I paraphrase, but something like that. That Depends diaper wearing PJ Stock said much the same thing.
Kelly Hrudey said that the NHL "has to look at it". At least one guy with brains and integrity on the CBC team.
Wow. CBC is just as incompetent as NBC. The only one who had it right for NBC, was of all people Millbury. As for Shanny. Can't wait for Shanny night at the Garden.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
lbrowne

Quote:

While I don't think he'll get suspended, showing this freeze-frame is ridiculous. The only reason there's contact before he's leaving his feet is because of an outstretched Girardi.

Girardi is coming in for what would have been a shoulder to shoulder hard hit, but Ovi left his feet instead.

But whatever, move on and win game 5.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

#OvechkinLaichsSemin

That is all.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 08:53 PM