HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Talks Done: Cautious Optimism

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2004, 03:13 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Talks Done: Cautious Optimism

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=107451

(Tsn has changed there article 3 times already....)

Last edited by FLYLine24*: 12-09-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old
12-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Balej20*

What a joke, i cant believe this. I cant take it anymore, i need hockey.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:24 PM
True Blue

Gee what a shocker

No progress made. What a friggin' surprise. It seems that Bettman is stuck on salary cap or nothing. That mentality will kill the NHL.

"Commissioner Gary Bettman told Leafs TV on Tuesday night that if the union's offer was ''a real genuine attempt to move the process forward, than I'll be delighted. If this is just an attempt at PR, then I'm not sure we will have advanced things.''

NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin said this was in no way is a PR exercise."

So anything but a hard cap is apparently nothing but PR attempt. Guess Bettman is still searching for a "partnership". Problem is his idea of a partnership is one where he gets to name all the term. Nor really a partnership at all.

And have you seen the list of his "advisors"?

"Calgary Flames part-owner Harley Hotchkiss (chairman of the board), Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs (chairman of the finance committee), Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold, Carolina Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos and New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello."

Karmanos? Come on. At this point he is ready for the league to fold. Nashville is represented as is Calgary. Conviently it seems that anyone connected with the Rangers, Flyers, Stars, Colarado, etc.... is not a "Bettman helper".

Old
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
JR#9*

all these morons don't realize just how much damage has already been and will further be done by taking this stance.

All the advertising $$$ will go elsewhere, whatever few casual fans the game had will lose significant interest and even diehards like ourselves will have a terrible taste in their mouths.

I have serious doubts about reupping my 4 seasons depending upon how they come out of this nonsense.If the on ice product isn't significantly improved I sit home rather than blow any more money dealing with the forced and fabricated parity the NHL is cramming down everybodies throats. :mad:

Old
12-09-2004, 03:40 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Maybe the NHLPA should require that there be a Owner Stupidity Guarantee

I just love the fact that the owners want the emplyees to save them from themselves. Maybe the next commissioner should be a shrink that way anytime that a owner feels compelled, for what ever reason, i.e. the barking dog or Elvis made me do it excuse, he can get immediate help. The owners and Badman created this situation and they are the ones responsible. I truly hope this destroys hockey and the fans turn away and don't comeback and 6 - 12 teams fold and that can be the Badman's legacy. NY, Phil, Tor, Mtl, Bos, Chic, Det and the other cities that support the sport will have teams. The fact that the people who run a poor franchise are driving this bus comes as no surprise. Under Badman's watch the NHL has continued on a downward spiral. Who would have thought that we all would think of John Zeigler with reverence and awe!

Old
12-09-2004, 03:45 PM
red devil

On The Score they just mentioned that there will be another meeting set for next Tuesday or Wednesday in New York. The meetings aren't over yet and the NHL probably just wanted to see all the details in the proposal before they offered one of their own. You have to remember that we are talking about a $2 billion business, that have opposing parties disputing on losses in the hundreds of millions. As long as they keep talking it can only be positive, but this will take be long and drawn out process.

To listen to the news conference: www.fan960.com

Last edited by red devil: 12-09-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old
12-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Fletch

Am I reading the wrong article?

it was a positive article, I thought. It says the proposal was well-received by the league and that they will speak again next Tuesday or Wednesday. Nothing to jump up and down about, but a dialogue has started, and seemingly this offer will be addressed and talks will resume (of course the league may then counter with its salary cap, possibly raising the amount, and possibly giving on other issues).

Old
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
NYRangers

Why, because they didn'y strike a deal that meeting was a joke?

"The union's new offer was well-received by the league."

Thats a great sign. An even bigger positive is that they have another meeting in a week. Thats as close as you can have between meetings. Both sides go back and talk about the last meeting / upcoming meeting and get ready to talk again.

I am very happy with the outcome of the meeting.

Old
12-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

guys on the business of hockey board are saying sportsnet is reporting the league may have liked the proposal. what a friggin surprise that bettmen may not be stuck on a salary cap. that mentality may save the nhl

tsn has this to say

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=107451

The union's new offer was well-received by the league despite missing some elements - notably a link between player costs and league revenues - a salary cap, in other words

Old
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
it was a positive article, I thought. It says the proposal was well-received by the league and that they will speak again next Tuesday or Wednesday. Nothing to jump up and down about, but a dialogue has started, and seemingly this offer will be addressed and talks will resume (of course the league may then counter with its salary cap, possibly raising the amount, and possibly giving on other issues).
I somewhat agree that it was positive. At least Bettman can no longer say that the players union is not making an effort to adress the problems. I would have liked to see the next meeting be sooner than next Wednesday or Thursday. There still doesn't seem to be enough urgency to me to get a deal....

Old
12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I somewhat agree that it was positive. At least Bettman can no longer say that the players union is not making an effort to adress the problems. I would have liked to see the next meeting be sooner than next Wednesday or Thursday. There still doesn't seem to be enough urgency to me to get a deal....
According to Brooks Bettman can´t come with a counter proposal based on the NHLPA´s offer and then claim impasse. So it could be a positive sign that they atleast will be meeting again. NHLPA hasn´t commented on the meeting yet, that will be interesting!

Old
12-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
According to Brooks Bettman can´t come with a counter proposal based on the NHLPA´s offer and then claim impasse. So it could be a positive sign that they atleast will be meeting again. NHLPA hasn´t commented on the meeting yet, that will be interesting!
press conferance postponed until 6 bettmen is on a conferance call with the other owners

Old
12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Blueshirt13

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but what if the league did like the general foundation of the offer and the delay in meeting is because the league bargaining team has to come back to NY to meet with the other owners before accepting or making a counter offer?

Atleast they are talking, which is something they haven't done in three months.

Old
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch

They keep changing it on TSN. Its a more positive article now. which is a good thing.

Old
12-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Did I not read the right article? Sounds quite positive to me.

Old
12-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3233282

fox sports is saying talks broke down and things don't look good!

NHL spokesman Frank Brown came out to say commissioner Gary Bettman will address the media later this afternoon. While Brown said he didn't know if there would be a meeting tomorrow, it does not look good.

Toronto's FAN Sports Radio reported the NHL contingent has already made its way back to New York, but the league is also still scheduled to meet with the media in Toronto today. Meanwhile, Sportsnet.ca is reporting that the NHL has requested a meeting with the NHLPA on Tuesday, but no word on whether it will be in New York or Toronto.

Old
12-09-2004, 04:37 PM
FLYLine24*

Kara is an idiot. Dont listen to what she has to say. Im 100% sure she wasnt even there but "HEARD" info from other people.

BTW shes a big Devils fan. Boooooooo

Old
12-09-2004, 04:45 PM
FLYLine24*

NHLPA proposed a 24% Salary rollback. Wow
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...09_122430_3892

Old
12-09-2004, 05:22 PM
xander

what did you all expect, the NHL to accept the union's prosal outright?

If there are more meetings schedualed then it meens the NHL will most likely offer a counter proposal, which is atleast more than we've gotten over the last few months. It's way to early to declare this meeting to be either positive or negative.

Old
12-09-2004, 05:25 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
what did you all expect, the NHL to accept the union's prosal outright?

I dont think anybody here is expecting that...maybe on the isles board.

Old
12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Levitate

if they have a counter proposal that builds on this proposal, then good deal...if it's just a cookie cutter "cap proposal" then we got nowhere

if the league somehow doesn't ask for a cap (i'm still not holding my breath) i imagine they'll ask for a lower point where the tax kicks in and maybe up the tax to 100% instead of 75% or whatever...maybe tweaking to the entry level contracts, etc. that's if they actually decide to negotiate fairly

i'd hope that basically the NHLPA calculated this proposal out and can show the owners exactly how it saves them money and how much it saves them, so they can say "it's not a cap but you can look and see how much money it will save you and you can see the mechanisms in place to make sure things stay in control". and i'm sure it's calculated to show how the league will generate a profit under that system.

Old
12-09-2004, 05:30 PM
xander

well, I was unaware that TSN had updated the article several times, so when I first read the thread and saw poster dismayed that there where meetings schedualed for next tuesday I was wondering what they could be complaining about. Now I see it was an issue of changing information.

Old
12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Edge

the only problem is i dont see how a deal under these circumstances will solve any problems......

Old
12-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
the only problem is i dont see how a deal under these circumstances will solve any problems......
I was thinking the samething...lets see what the Owners come back with, because this proposal just wont cut it.

Old
12-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I was thinking the samething...lets see what the Owners come back with, because this proposal just wont cut it.
I think contraction would solve some of the NHL's problems. If players are willing to roll back salaries do you think they would be willing to give up a few jobs? Lets not kid ourselves, the NHL has WAY overexpanded, to the point certain franchises have become a drag on the league, and a big reason why we are where we are. Sure things looked great in '94 after we won the cup, but Gary Bettman seriously overestimated the appeal of hockey across this country. I just dont think people get as rabid about sports they never played themselves growing up. Obviously the motivation was quick money, but how could you bring in new teams when some existing ones are barely surviving and think this day would never come? There's a good chance the NHL will have less teams when/if it comes back (not as part of any agreement, more likely because of franchises folding), and I think that would be a potential upside to this fiasco.

Less garbage teams means less boring games, I would say. And For some reason I don't feel as if most people in Raleigh or Nashville (for example) would miss their NHL franchise all that much. Sure there have been success stories, Columbus and Dallas (non traditional market) for example, but people actually play/like hockey in Ohio, and Dallas has benefited from a winning team. They are definetly overpaid, but now it looks as if Bettman wants players to pay for his own mistakes.

Closed Thread