HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Digital Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Digital Arts Show off your graphics skills. Images may be sports-related. Request or create custom avatars, team calendars, wallpapers etc..

1st attempt at an info panel - looking for critique

Old
05-05-2012, 11:42 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
1st attempt at an info panel - looking for critique

Made this in gimp. City Burn font.

I took a "simple is more" approach. This is a 8x10.5" sign that went into a clear plastic holder and sits on the windshield during an auto show.

The purpose is to aid in answering the simple questions of year, mods and vendors used in the vehicle.

Although the vehicle is orange, its a red based orange, so i added the blue border to balance the white smoke for a red-white and blue subtle design.

Looking for critique and pointers if i make more for other cars. Suggestions?

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post

Made this in gimp. City Burn font.

I took a "simple is more" approach. This is a 8x10.5" sign that went into a clear plastic holder and sits on the windshield during an auto show.

The purpose is to aid in answering the simple questions of year, mods and vendors used in the vehicle.

Although the vehicle is orange, its a red based orange, so i added the blue border to balance the white smoke for a red-white and blue subtle design.

Looking for critique and pointers if i make more for other cars. Suggestions?
As opposed to using white outline accenting the car make, maybe use....say yellow to direct people's visual line of sight to your sign. Just a suggestion.

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Minimalist*

It sucks and I hate you

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:11 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 0
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Maybe use blur where the smoke meets the blue boarder, maybe where the car meets the boarder is too

05-07-2012, 07:21 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I'm not an expert by any means, but my two cents (well, my nickel now that we don't have pennies).

The blue detracts from the entire design, in my opinion. It draws the eye away from the content and toward the border when I'm staring at the information. It doesn't fit the overall colour scheme. White would've been better. Contrasts the rest of the sign without throwing in random, unnecessary colours to your colour scheme.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the black font on grey background either, just seems too simple. Maybe if there was an accent around the black font.

Speaking of which, why did you alternate your white-black-red scheme to black-white-red for the R/T?

05-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

I agree that the blue border distracts from the rest of the content. I'd go for black. I'm also not particularly a fan of the smoke going over the border, it looks a bit messy. I understand the concept, but I'd just keep it for the front of the car and the wheel. Also not a fan of the font used, it doesn't fit with the neat outline of the car. Maybe if it was an old challenger, but for this one, I'd go with something more rounded.

Do you have the file with all the calcs (Don't know if it's .psd for Gimp) ? I might try to do something if you want and if I have some spared time.

Zaide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 12:37 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
yeah I have the layers saved in gimps proprietary setting. I'll tinker with this.

Thanks for the tips.

As for why the R/T was reversed... the write smoke caused the white stroke to get lost and seem undefined (as just the red witih black stroke).

And I love you too, Minimalist <3

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote