HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Sabres fan coming in peace....just wondering if CBJ would consider trading out of number two, and what kind of value they'd be looking for.

To Buffalo: #2 overall in 2012
To CBJ: #12 overall in 2012 AND 1st round pick in 2013

Old
06-12-2012, 07:14 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

there was a post several pages back from a buffalo fan offering both 1st and Stafford for #2...that kind of a deal would work for me

Old
06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
there was a post several pages back from a buffalo fan offering both 1st and Stafford for #2...that kind of a deal would work for me
I would like one of those 1sts be in 2013. Stock piling high picks in 2013 should be the cornerstone of our rebuild, IMO.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:29 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
I would like one of those 1sts be in 2013. Stock piling high picks in 2013 should be the cornerstone of our rebuild, IMO.
If you wanted stafford and the 2013 pick, how about:

To BUF: 2012 1st round pick (CBJ)

To CBJ: F - Drew Stafford
2012 1st round pick (NSH)
2013 1st round pick (BUF)

Old
06-12-2012, 08:43 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
As an observer with no dog in this fight, I would say Buffalo would have to give up much more than anything being offered here. The Jackets would be crazy to move the pick that far out. If I were moving the pick a top five pick would have to be coming the other way or no deal.

Once you get out of the top five, or top seven or eight, the quality goes down markedly and so do your options.

I would do something like swap picks with Carolina and they add Ryan Murphy.

When the Oilers had the #2 pick, I threw out that proposal and it was close to fair value imo.

Old
06-12-2012, 09:16 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
To Buffalo: #2 overall in 2012
To CBJ: #12 overall in 2012 AND 1st round pick in 2013
Why would we want to do that?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:30 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I would consider that an EXCELLENT draft.
seconded.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
For me, if Yak is not available, I would take Galy. But it would figure in the year that we are finally the "worst" there would be no clear consensus of who is deserving of the second pick. I am not going to complain about whoever we pick. Seems to be a judgement call this year more than ever. I just hope for once we make the right move.
All of this.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:14 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Forsberg strikes me as a safe pick in terms of his potential to contribute in the NHL. He's neither boom nor bust from what I can tell (which is gleaned solely from scouting reports).

If we take him at #2, I will be pretty irritated. He'll be there at 4 or 5, and I think both NYI and TOR would be interested in trading up with us. If we take him at 4 or 5, I will probably be pretty happy.

This has potential to be Tom Hickey 2.0. So by that metric, we're 5 years out from the Cup.

Old
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

This is the full write up by Adam French on his projection that the Jackets will select Galchenyuk with the second pick in the draft:

"Galchenyuk quite possibly has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft or so scouts and those who’ve seen him say. He might be the hardest working fitness nut in the draft and adding that to his immense talent is a great combination. He has amazing stamina and is a great skater; at the combine he showed that despite his long injury to his ACL he has the most explosiveness. One of the reasons I think he will go so high is that he is the best center in the draft period. He doesn’t have the same question marks as Grigorenko and he is actually a center unlike some (cough Forsberg). Though his 6’1 height measurement is very generous considering he looks more like 5’11, he is still considered a center with size and is great at protecting the puck. He’s also a center that is versatile; he plays a two-way game and is adept at both playmaking and scoring. Columbus has always searched for “that” center and Brassard isn’t it and I doubt Johansen is, Galchenyuk is their man."

Old
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourIgnoreList View Post
Forsberg strikes me as a safe pick in terms of his potential to contribute in the NHL. He's neither boom nor bust from what I can tell (which is gleaned solely from scouting reports).

If we take him at #2, I will be pretty irritated. He'll be there at 4 or 5, and I think both NYI and TOR would be interested in trading up with us. If we take him at 4 or 5, I will probably be pretty happy.

This has potential to be Tom Hickey 2.0. So by that metric, we're 5 years out from the Cup.
I don't understand the comparison. Hickey was a complete reach at 4, not to mention he's a defenseman, and Forsberg at 4 would be right about where he should be picked.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
If you wanted stafford and the 2013 pick, how about:

To BUF: 2012 1st round pick (CBJ)

To CBJ: F - Drew Stafford
2012 1st round pick (NSH)
2013 1st round pick (BUF)
You would have yourself a deal, sir.

Quote:

These comments make zero sense. Thomas Hickey was, in his draft year, considered by many to be a pick in the 10-15 range. Including myself, and I'd been following him very closely. To see him selected at #4 was shocking - even to a WHL fan like myself, who had seen what he could do.

Filip Forsberg is, by all accounts, one of the four top forwards in this draft. He's the #1 rated European, and he could very well turn into a Corey Perry type player. Is that not boom enough for you?

Just because he isn't your horse, doesn't mean he isn't a good player. He's almost a full year younger than everyone else that will be drafted around him - the fact that he's even being mentioned in the same breath is a big deal in itself.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I don't understand the comparison. Hickey was a complete reach at 4, not to mention he's a defenseman, and Forsberg at 4 would be right about where he should be picked.
Just in the sense that LA wanted to trade down but couldn't make it happen and ended up taking Hickey higher than he was supposed to go. I think we will likely end up taking Forsberg at #2, which is a reach, though much less of one than Hickey.

ETA: Forsberg is apparently now the concensus number 2 when multiple ratings are aggregated (have lost the link though). So I stand corrected on him being a reach at 2. Still not all that excited about him in that position, though.

Last edited by OnYourIgnoreList: 06-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old
06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This is the full write up by Adam French on his projection that the Jackets will select Galchenyuk with the second pick in the draft:

"Galchenyuk quite possibly has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft or so scouts and those who’ve seen him say. He might be the hardest working fitness nut in the draft and adding that to his immense talent is a great combination. He has amazing stamina and is a great skater; at the combine he showed that despite his long injury to his ACL he has the most explosiveness. One of the reasons I think he will go so high is that he is the best center in the draft period. He doesn’t have the same question marks as Grigorenko and he is actually a center unlike some (cough Forsberg). Though his 6’1 height measurement is very generous considering he looks more like 5’11, he is still considered a center with size and is great at protecting the puck. He’s also a center that is versatile; he plays a two-way game and is adept at both playmaking and scoring. Columbus has always searched for “that” center and Brassard isn’t it and I doubt Johansen is, Galchenyuk is their man."
Wow, we're already hearing the first bits of "Johansen is a bust?"

I've always said, my bias is towards defensemen and centers because the good ones are hard to come by. I vasilate on whether I'd take Murray or Galchenyuk with the pick without any other picks being acquired in the top 10. Today I'd go with Murray just because of the injury concerns with Galchenyuk, but I could be again convinced otherwise.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Wow, we're already hearing the first bits of "Johansen is a bust?"

Yeah, I noticed that, too, though just saying he's not "that guy" doesn't necessarily imply "bust." Still, I agree that it's rediculous to make that kind of judgement after only one season.

Quote:
I've always said, my bias is towards defensemen and centers because the good ones are hard to come by. I vasilate on whether I'd take Murray or Galchenyuk with the pick without any other picks being acquired in the top 10. Today I'd go with Murray just because of the injury concerns with Galchenyuk, but I could be again convinced otherwise.
There are legitimate reasons to waiver between the two; but, personally, I don't place that high a level of concern on the knee injury. Knee surgery on a kid that young and motivated can be very successful and may even lead to stronger and better developed legs. His performance at the combine might relieve some doubts around the league. I suppose if you judged the two absolutely equal in every respect, the injury could be used as a tie breaker; but I think other factors will be, in the end, more significant.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:02 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Just because he isn't your horse, doesn't mean he isn't a good player. He's almost a full year younger than everyone else that will be drafted around him - the fact that he's even being mentioned in the same breath is a big deal in itself.
Where did I say he wasn't a good player? I said I felt he'd be a solid NHL'er. I simply don't care to see him picked at #2 because it's likely he'd be there at 4 or 5 and would like to think they can trade down and still get him if he's the target.

The Hickey reference was clearly mis-made and I'm excedingly sorry it seems to have gotten you worked all into a froth.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Matt

I would take that galchenyuk kid in a heartbeat.

Old
06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
There are legitimate reasons to waiver between the two; but, personally, I don't place that high a level of concern on the knee injury. Knee surgery on a kid that young and motivated can be very successful and may even lead to stronger and better developed legs. His performance at the combine might relieve some doubts around the league. I suppose if you judged the two absolutely equal in every respect, the injury could be used as a tie breaker; but I think other factors will be, in the end, more significant.
Those knee injuries are certainly not the career enders that they used to be. Medicine has come a long way since seeing guys have their careers cut short by ACL/MCL injuries, and guys like Jared Cowen are a prime example of such. It takes a little time to rehab, but if done correctly, players are back to their normal selves within 16-18 months. For a guy like Galchenyuk, who keeps himself in such tremendous shape, I don't see this being a major point of concern. Which is why, in my mock draft, I had us selecting him ahead of Murray and Forsberg.

Quote:
Where did I say he wasn't a good player? I said I felt he'd be a solid NHL'er. I simply don't care to see him picked at #2 because it's likely he'd be there at 4 or 5 and would like to think they can trade down and still get him if he's the target.

The Hickey reference was clearly mis-made and I'm excedingly sorry it seems to have gotten you worked all into a froth.
I don't see the Islanders offering us what we perceive to be enough to trade up to #4. The Islanders have enough pieces on the way that they are in a good spot to stay right where they are, and take whatever falls to them - be it Murray, Galchenyuk, or Forsberg. They could use any piece and have the luxury of time to allow him to develop.

Say we swap with Toronto, and Brian Burke moves up to select the player he wants - which will be Galchenyuk or Forsberg. Then Montreal takes whichever one remains, and the Islanders select Ryan Murray. Then what are we left with? Nobody wants to see us select Grigorenko and watch another poor attitude bust happen. Griffin Reinhart would probably be the next best fit for us at this point. Would you rather have him and a couple of other minor pieces instead of Filip Forsberg?

If Forsberg is the guy Craig Patrick and co. have their eye on, then so be it. I do believe Galchenyuk has better upside, and I do believe Ryan Murray is the better overall player. However, Filip Forsberg in 2-3 years could surpass both of those players ... he has the size, shooting ability, and work ethic to do so. I won't be disappointed, as long as we don't miss out on one of the "big four" prospects in this year's draft.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Just looking at the interviews and the way he carries himself, I want Galchenyuk. Especially with the highlights he put up that are all over Youtube....if Yak is taken by EDM, take Galchenyuk...

Old
06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I won't be disappointed, as long as we don't miss out on one of the "big four" prospects in this year's draft.
I pretty much feel the same, though I, too, certainly have an order of personal preference among the four.

Old
06-12-2012, 03:17 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Just looking at the interviews and the way he carries himself, I want Galchenyuk. Especially with the highlights he put up that are all over Youtube....if Yak is taken by EDM, take Galchenyuk...
I like your theory of who to pick.

"Apparent hockey skills" have done us about as much good as a dart board.

"Good looking girlfriends" is helpful too.

Would rather we get past the pony show and start hiring and firing certain people.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
JacketsFanWest

A scout is posting on Twitter the accurate heights/weights/wingspans from the Combine since they haven't been posted on NHL.com yet. https://twitter.com/#!/MarkEdwardsHP

So far, for top draft prospects:

Filip Forsberg: Height- 73.25 inches (6' 1.25) Wing Span- 74.25 and Weight is 188lb

Mathew Dumba: Height- 71.5 inches (5' 11.5) Wing Span- 75 inches and Weight is 184 lb

Nail Yakupov Height- 71.25 inches (5' 11.25) Wing Span- 73.75 inches and Weight 185 lb

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 06-12-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old
06-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Crede777
Deputized

In two past drafts, Columbus has taken the top-rated European skater. Those didn't work out so hot.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I like your theory of who to pick.

"Apparent hockey skills" have done us about as much good as a dart board.

"Good looking girlfriends" is helpful too.

Would rather we get past the pony show and start hiring and firing certain people.
We get it. You hate management. If you want to complain, go to the Fire Howson thread.

Old
06-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
In two past drafts, Columbus has taken the top-rated European skater. Those didn't work out so hot.
And Alex Picard was the #3 North American skater, and Brassard ranked ahead of Kessel. I would go further, but I only have reports on the 2004, 2005, and 2006 drafts.

Closed Thread