HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I like your theory of who to pick.

"Apparent hockey skills" have done us about as much good as a dart board.

"Good looking girlfriends" is helpful too.

Would rather we get past the pony show and start hiring and firing certain people.
Best looking girlfriend I've ever seen at a draft was Brian Finley in 1999.

For those who have never heard of Brian Finley, he's the lone exception to the idea that "Nashville is magic with goalies".

Old
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
In two past drafts, Columbus has taken the top-rated European skater. Those didn't work out so hot.
Management should not do anything that hasn't work in the past.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

For those who have never heard of Brian Finley, he's the lone exception to the idea that "Nashville is magic with goalies".
He could've worked out if not for injuries.

Old
06-12-2012, 07:57 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
A scout is posting on Twitter the accurate heights/weights/wingspans from the Combine since they haven't been posted on NHL.com yet. https://twitter.com/#!/MarkEdwardsHP

So far, for top draft prospects:

Filip Forsberg: Height- 73.25 inches (6' 1.25) Wing Span- 74.25 and Weight is 188lb

Mathew Dumba: Height- 71.5 inches (5' 11.5) Wing Span- 75 inches and Weight is 184 lb

Nail Yakupov Height- 71.25 inches (5' 11.25) Wing Span- 73.75 inches and Weight 185 lb
Good thing the Blues aren't in the lottery. There is no one Hitch would want.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
He could've worked out if not for injuries.
If I've learned anything from the Dekanich situation, it's that teams should be clairvoyant about injuries going forward. This goes double if there's been no injury history to speak of; clearly the law of averages will cause a cataclysmic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Good thing the Blues aren't in the lottery. There is no one Hitch would want.
"Trade the pick, and make sure that Mike Rupp is coming back our way!"

Old
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
EspenK

Here's a vote for Grigo

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1333

Old
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Alex Galchenyuk: Height- 72.5 inches, Wing Span- 75.5 inches and Weight is 194 lb #NHLCombine

Old
06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Interesting. Should he become a star, whoever drafts him will be given great credit for having seen past his apparent flaws. On the other hand, should he prove to be exactly as described by his current detractors, he could well cost the GM who drafts him his job. We're I Howson, I'd not risk it.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

For reasons that make no sense to me, Devils will be keeping their pick this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634601

So, Jackets will pick 31st and they'll have the option of the LA's 30th.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

yeah, i don't get it either...but i'm guessing they will pick whoever is there from dansk and subban...which worries me

Old
06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

How is Chet Pickard working out so far? The last I heard, they weren't all that thoroughly impressed with him. (Spent the bulk of the last two years in the ECHL).

Maybe it's just North American goalies that they're struggling with?

As for the Devils retaining their pick, it is a bit surprising. 29th overall in a fairly thin draft would be a good pick to give up, but looking at their prospect cupboard, maybe they're just hopeful that drafting a player now - and getting one more year of mileage out of Martin Brodeur - will afford them a similar opportunity next year. With the loss of Zach Parise, I'd be really surprised to see them picking any lower than 18th next year, and in a deeper draft.

Lou Lamoriello always has something up his sleeve, though.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
yeah, i don't get it either...but i'm guessing they will pick whoever is there from dansk and subban...which worries me
There could also be a trade of some type already worked out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
How is Chet Pickard working out so far? The last I heard, they weren't all that thoroughly impressed with him. (Spent the bulk of the last two years in the ECHL).

As for the Devils retaining their pick, it is a bit surprising. 29th overall in a fairly thin draft would be a good pick to give up, but looking at their prospect cupboard, maybe they're just hopeful that drafting a player now - and getting one more year of mileage out of Martin Brodeur - will afford them a similar opportunity next year. With the loss of Zach Parise, I'd be really surprised to see them picking any lower than 18th next year, and in a deeper draft.

I'm sticking with only Finley because Pickard at least has a chance to still do something. The clock is ticking on him, but he's still going.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:40 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Just looking at the interviews and the way he carries himself, I want Galchenyuk. Especially with the highlights he put up that are all over Youtube....if Yak is taken by EDM, take Galchenyuk...
Agree. I prefer Galchenyuk, but Igor Larionov said that Burke wants both, Galchenyuk and Yakupov. But the true is that I dont know how he wants to do it.

Here is an interview with Larionov, agent of Yakupov and Galchenyuk:
http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/5/igo...the-2012-draft

and an interview with Yakupov:
http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/12/na...ying-in-canada

Last edited by mt-svk: 06-13-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old
06-13-2012, 08:20 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Hey guys,

Habs fan here, we all know the old blowhard that Burke is and how he wants one of galchenyuk or yakupov, and I've been hearing for a while now that your team would be interested in murray and forsberg. Burke will be coming hard and fast after your pick and because he's in the same conference I hope bergevin does the same. What I'm proposing is this, if Burke makes an offer, I'd really like the habs to best it. CBJ moves down one you still get your player montreal gets galchenyuk.

(obviously this only works though if CBJ want murray or forsberg or someone else instead of galchenyuk)

Last edited by subbanged: 06-13-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old
06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Hey guys,

Habs fan here, we all know the old blowhard that Burke is and how he wants one of galchenyuk or yakupov, and I've been hearing for a while now that your team would be interested in murray and forsberg. Burke will be coming hard and fast after your pick and because he's in the same conference I hope bergevin does the same. What I'm proposing is this, if Burke makes an offer, I'd really like the habs to best it. CBJ moves down one you still get your player montreal gets galchenyuk.
Anything's possible, subbanged, what would the Habs be prepared to offer to switch spots with the Jackets? Personally, I'm in favor of the CBJ selecting Galchenyuk, so it would have to be a pretty enticing offer.

Old
06-13-2012, 08:35 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Lou has an aging (aged?) goalie. There are a couple really good goalie prospects that could be available at that pick. Waiting another year to fill Marty's shoes won't help, so, perhaps the thought process is that it is better to address his biggest need this year than to wait?

Old
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Anything's possible, subbanged, what would the Habs be prepared to offer to switch spots with the Jackets? Personally, I'm in favor of the CBJ selecting Galchenyuk, so it would have to be a pretty enticing offer.
Well at the end of the day it wouldn't be anything too too crazy, I figured something along the lines of the habs third (or nashvilles second I think there seperated by 8 picks that would come down to the negotiating ability of howson and bergevin) and kristo could possibly get it done.

Really depends on team need, but I figured your defense is young so you probably want a forward prospect as well. If you'd rather a defenseman however, It gets a little trickier because I don't think the organization wants to give up Ellis, Tinordi or Beaulieu as all we hear about is how they'll play together next year and the year after in the ahl then together with the habs in two. however weber and diaz would both be available.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:34 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Well at the end of the day it wouldn't be anything too too crazy, I figured something along the lines of the habs third (or nashvilles second I think there seperated by 8 picks that would come down to the negotiating ability of howson and bergevin) and kristo could possibly get it done.

Really depends on team need, but I figured your defense is young so you probably want a forward prospect as well. If you'd rather a defenseman however, It gets a little trickier because I don't think the organization wants to give up Ellis, Tinordi or Beaulieu as all we hear about is how they'll play together next year and the year after in the ahl then together with the habs in two. however weber and diaz would both be available.
I guess it all depends on how highly the Jackets rate Galchenyuk. If he's their guy, they'll just stay where they are and take him. If they have doubts or rate someone else more highly, then the pick might be available. I'm not sure if what you're proposing would be better than what might be offered by Burke or others. What would be needed to make you're trade happen would depend on who the Jackets might covet with the third pick - Forsberg, Murray, or Grigorenko (sp?). It's too confusing for me, I'll let someone else jump in who's better at these things than I!

Old
06-13-2012, 09:39 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I guess it all depends on how highly the Jackets rate Galchenyuk. If he's their guy, they'll just stay where they are and take him. If they have doubts or rate someone else more highly, then the pick might be available. I'm not sure if what you're proposing would be better than what might be offered by Burke or others. What would be needed to make you're trade happen would depend on who the Jackets might covet with the third pick - Forsberg, Murray, or Grigorenko (sp?). It's too confusing for me, I'll let someone else jump in who's better at these things than I!
Well that's the point, that way both teams get their guy but it would mainly be designed so that jackets get their guy and something extra, rather then trading down to five and not getting the player they want (assuming of course they see murray or forsberg as the #2) simply because montreal would likely take forsberg if galchenyuk is gone, and the islanders will take murray.

Also I really wish you guys had won the lottery this would all be so much simpler, you get yakupov, edmonton gets murray and we can all move along

Old
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:

Gotta believe they are looking squarely at one of the top Goalies....

Old
06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
There could also be a trade of some type already worked out as well.

I'm sticking with only Finley because Pickard at least has a chance to still do something. The clock is ticking on him, but he's still going.
Fair enough, Pickard could definitely do something with his career still. It has to be considered a long shot though. I also agree with your first point, New Jersey may have something in the works, and might be dealing that pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Lou has an aging (aged?) goalie. There are a couple really good goalie prospects that could be available at that pick. Waiting another year to fill Marty's shoes won't help, so, perhaps the thought process is that it is better to address his biggest need this year than to wait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Gotta believe they are looking squarely at one of the top Goalies....
Could be; but there are some very good goaltenders in next year's draft also. Eric Comrie, for example, not only has NHL bloodlines, but is developing in the same program that has produced Carey Price and the aforementioned Chet Pickard. He could be a top-10 pick next year, but with New Jersey likely losing Zach Parise, an aging Martin Brodeur, and possibly Ilya Kovalchuk missing time due to whatever ailed him in the finals ... it's not unfathomable that their pick next year is in that range.

If it's me, and I'm choosing between Eric Comrie and Malcom Subban or Oscar Dansk, I'm taking Comrie ... even if it were this year's draft.

That's just one example - there are some other very good keepers who could either rise or fall into next year's draft.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

So is the worm starting to turn towards "keeping LA's pick and taking the best Goaltender available in that spot" ?

I would probably be ok with that since we'd be making the very next pick too....

Old
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Could be; but there are some very good goaltenders in next year's draft also. Eric Comrie, for example, not only has NHL bloodlines, but is developing in the same program that has produced Carey Price and the aforementioned Chet Pickard. He could be a top-10 pick next year, but with New Jersey likely losing Zach Parise, an aging Martin Brodeur, and possibly Ilya Kovalchuk missing time due to whatever ailed him in the finals ... it's not unfathomable that their pick next year is in that range.

If it's me, and I'm choosing between Eric Comrie and Malcom Subban or Oscar Dansk, I'm taking Comrie ... even if it were this year's draft.

That's just one example - there are some other very good keepers who could either rise or fall into next year's draft.
If they were picking top 10 the temptation would be to take a forward or defenseman. And, again, a year of development at this point is a big deal. I'm amazed Brodeur has lasted this long.

A year out it is hard to predict drafts with any scientific certainty. If I've learned anything by now it is, don't doubt Uncle Lou. That SOB will find some way to patch together a team even if he has seemingly no scoring power. Wait, I think that gives me an idea. *Paging Lou Lamoriello to the Blue (Jackets) Courtesy Phone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
So is the worm starting to turn towards "keeping LA's pick and taking the best Goaltender available in that spot" ?

I would probably be ok with that since we'd be making the very next pick too....
I don't see the point in holding out. Again, we can try to read the crystal ball, but the Kings may well be a better team next year. The core of their team will return. They have some cap space to work with. Banking on their pick being anything other than bottom of the first round again next year is probably foolish. We could use some organizational depth now instead of waiting the year.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
JacketsFanWest

I posted about this in the Forsberg thread on the Prospects forum, but I wanted to point this out for the general discussion about high draft picks going straight to the NHL and development of some players (like Ryan Johansen).

When Mats Sundin was drafted first overall, he was about 6'2, 185 lbs. His draft photos are barely recognizable:
http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!B8%289l!wCW...fdgvQ~~_35.JPG He stayed in Sweden for year, in part because of his military obligation (mandatory service ended in 2010 in Sweden). He was still growing and during that year, he was struggling in the SEL. He even had to replace his skates several times because he was outgrowing them. Had he played in the NHL, it would have been an even bigger struggle for him.

A prospect like Yakupov already has his size. He's not growing, he may get stronger, but he's already built like a stocky tank.

I can't imagine the bashing that would have happened if draft-watchers were online back in 1989 and Sundin was picked when he was that less physically developed and had such low numbers playing in the third tier Swedish league.

Old
06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I posted about this in the Forsberg thread on the Prospects forum, but I wanted to point this out for the general discussion about high draft picks going straight to the NHL and development of some players (like Ryan Johansen).

When Mats Sundin was drafted first overall, he was about 6'2, 185 lbs. His draft photos are barely recognizable:
http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!B8%289l!wCW...fdgvQ~~_35.JPG He stayed in Sweden for year, in part because of his military obligation (mandatory service ended in 2010 in Sweden). He was still growing and during that year, he was struggling in the SEL. He even had to replace his skates several times because he was outgrowing them. Had he played in the NHL, it would have been an even bigger struggle for him.

A prospect like Yakupov already has his size. He's not growing, he may get stronger, but he's already built like a stocky tank.

I can't imagine the bashing that would have happened if draft-watchers were online back in 1989 and Sundin was picked when he was that less physically developed and had such low numbers playing in the third tier Swedish league.
Imagine the bashing over the fact that Dave Chyzowski (picked #2) played in the NHL for part of the 1989-90 season as well, or that Stu Barnes (picked #4) went back to the WHL and put up even bigger numbers than the year before while playing fewer games.

Closed Thread