HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2012, 07:11 PM
  #651
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I like your theory of who to pick.

"Apparent hockey skills" have done us about as much good as a dart board.

"Good looking girlfriends" is helpful too.

Would rather we get past the pony show and start hiring and firing certain people.
Best looking girlfriend I've ever seen at a draft was Brian Finley in 1999.

For those who have never heard of Brian Finley, he's the lone exception to the idea that "Nashville is magic with goalies".

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 07:22 PM
  #652
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
In two past drafts, Columbus has taken the top-rated European skater. Those didn't work out so hot.
Management should not do anything that hasn't work in the past.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 07:49 PM
  #653
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling
 
Jovavic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: IR with CBJ
Country: Qatar
Posts: 10,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Best looking girlfriend I've ever seen at a draft was Brian Finley in 1999.

For those who have never heard of Brian Finley, he's the lone exception to the idea that "Nashville is magic with goalies".
He could've worked out if not for injuries.

Jovavic is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 07:57 PM
  #654
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
A scout is posting on Twitter the accurate heights/weights/wingspans from the Combine since they haven't been posted on NHL.com yet. https://twitter.com/#!/MarkEdwardsHP

So far, for top draft prospects:

Filip Forsberg: Height- 73.25 inches (6' 1.25) Wing Span- 74.25 and Weight is 188lb

Mathew Dumba: Height- 71.5 inches (5' 11.5) Wing Span- 75 inches and Weight is 184 lb

Nail Yakupov Height- 71.25 inches (5' 11.25) Wing Span- 73.75 inches and Weight 185 lb
Good thing the Blues aren't in the lottery. There is no one Hitch would want.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
  #655
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
He could've worked out if not for injuries.
If I've learned anything from the Dekanich situation, it's that teams should be clairvoyant about injuries going forward. This goes double if there's been no injury history to speak of; clearly the law of averages will cause a cataclysmic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Good thing the Blues aren't in the lottery. There is no one Hitch would want.
"Trade the pick, and make sure that Mike Rupp is coming back our way!"

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
  #656
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,700
vCash: 500
Here's a vote for Grigo

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1333


EspenK is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 08:51 PM
  #657
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 15,417
vCash: 500
Alex Galchenyuk: Height- 72.5 inches, Wing Span- 75.5 inches and Weight is 194 lb #NHLCombine

Fro is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 09:05 PM
  #658
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Interesting. Should he become a star, whoever drafts him will be given great credit for having seen past his apparent flaws. On the other hand, should he prove to be exactly as described by his current detractors, he could well cost the GM who drafts him his job. We're I Howson, I'd not risk it.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 10:56 PM
  #659
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
For reasons that make no sense to me, Devils will be keeping their pick this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=634601

So, Jackets will pick 31st and they'll have the option of the LA's 30th.

Nanabijou is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
  #660
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 15,417
vCash: 500
yeah, i don't get it either...but i'm guessing they will pick whoever is there from dansk and subban...which worries me

Fro is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
  #661
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Best looking girlfriend I've ever seen at a draft was Brian Finley in 1999.

For those who have never heard of Brian Finley, he's the lone exception to the idea that "Nashville is magic with goalies".
How is Chet Pickard working out so far? The last I heard, they weren't all that thoroughly impressed with him. (Spent the bulk of the last two years in the ECHL).

Maybe it's just North American goalies that they're struggling with?

As for the Devils retaining their pick, it is a bit surprising. 29th overall in a fairly thin draft would be a good pick to give up, but looking at their prospect cupboard, maybe they're just hopeful that drafting a player now - and getting one more year of mileage out of Martin Brodeur - will afford them a similar opportunity next year. With the loss of Zach Parise, I'd be really surprised to see them picking any lower than 18th next year, and in a deeper draft.

Lou Lamoriello always has something up his sleeve, though.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
  #662
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
yeah, i don't get it either...but i'm guessing they will pick whoever is there from dansk and subban...which worries me
There could also be a trade of some type already worked out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
How is Chet Pickard working out so far? The last I heard, they weren't all that thoroughly impressed with him. (Spent the bulk of the last two years in the ECHL).

Maybe it's just North American goalies that they're struggling with?

As for the Devils retaining their pick, it is a bit surprising. 29th overall in a fairly thin draft would be a good pick to give up, but looking at their prospect cupboard, maybe they're just hopeful that drafting a player now - and getting one more year of mileage out of Martin Brodeur - will afford them a similar opportunity next year. With the loss of Zach Parise, I'd be really surprised to see them picking any lower than 18th next year, and in a deeper draft.

Lou Lamoriello always has something up his sleeve, though.
I'm sticking with only Finley because Pickard at least has a chance to still do something. The clock is ticking on him, but he's still going.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 03:40 AM
  #663
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Just looking at the interviews and the way he carries himself, I want Galchenyuk. Especially with the highlights he put up that are all over Youtube....if Yak is taken by EDM, take Galchenyuk...
Agree. I prefer Galchenyuk, but Igor Larionov said that Burke wants both, Galchenyuk and Yakupov. But the true is that I dont know how he wants to do it.

Here is an interview with Larionov, agent of Yakupov and Galchenyuk:
http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/5/igo...the-2012-draft

and an interview with Yakupov:
http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/12/na...ying-in-canada


Last edited by mt-svk: 06-13-2012 at 03:45 AM.
mt-svk is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 08:20 AM
  #664
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Hey guys,

Habs fan here, we all know the old blowhard that Burke is and how he wants one of galchenyuk or yakupov, and I've been hearing for a while now that your team would be interested in murray and forsberg. Burke will be coming hard and fast after your pick and because he's in the same conference I hope bergevin does the same. What I'm proposing is this, if Burke makes an offer, I'd really like the habs to best it. CBJ moves down one you still get your player montreal gets galchenyuk.

(obviously this only works though if CBJ want murray or forsberg or someone else instead of galchenyuk)


Last edited by subbanged: 06-13-2012 at 08:27 AM.
subbanged is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
  #665
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Hey guys,

Habs fan here, we all know the old blowhard that Burke is and how he wants one of galchenyuk or yakupov, and I've been hearing for a while now that your team would be interested in murray and forsberg. Burke will be coming hard and fast after your pick and because he's in the same conference I hope bergevin does the same. What I'm proposing is this, if Burke makes an offer, I'd really like the habs to best it. CBJ moves down one you still get your player montreal gets galchenyuk.
Anything's possible, subbanged, what would the Habs be prepared to offer to switch spots with the Jackets? Personally, I'm in favor of the CBJ selecting Galchenyuk, so it would have to be a pretty enticing offer.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 08:35 AM
  #666
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
How is Chet Pickard working out so far? The last I heard, they weren't all that thoroughly impressed with him. (Spent the bulk of the last two years in the ECHL).

Maybe it's just North American goalies that they're struggling with?

As for the Devils retaining their pick, it is a bit surprising. 29th overall in a fairly thin draft would be a good pick to give up, but looking at their prospect cupboard, maybe they're just hopeful that drafting a player now - and getting one more year of mileage out of Martin Brodeur - will afford them a similar opportunity next year. With the loss of Zach Parise, I'd be really surprised to see them picking any lower than 18th next year, and in a deeper draft.

Lou Lamoriello always has something up his sleeve, though.
Lou has an aging (aged?) goalie. There are a couple really good goalie prospects that could be available at that pick. Waiting another year to fill Marty's shoes won't help, so, perhaps the thought process is that it is better to address his biggest need this year than to wait?

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
  #667
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Anything's possible, subbanged, what would the Habs be prepared to offer to switch spots with the Jackets? Personally, I'm in favor of the CBJ selecting Galchenyuk, so it would have to be a pretty enticing offer.
Well at the end of the day it wouldn't be anything too too crazy, I figured something along the lines of the habs third (or nashvilles second I think there seperated by 8 picks that would come down to the negotiating ability of howson and bergevin) and kristo could possibly get it done.

Really depends on team need, but I figured your defense is young so you probably want a forward prospect as well. If you'd rather a defenseman however, It gets a little trickier because I don't think the organization wants to give up Ellis, Tinordi or Beaulieu as all we hear about is how they'll play together next year and the year after in the ahl then together with the habs in two. however weber and diaz would both be available.

subbanged is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 09:34 AM
  #668
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Well at the end of the day it wouldn't be anything too too crazy, I figured something along the lines of the habs third (or nashvilles second I think there seperated by 8 picks that would come down to the negotiating ability of howson and bergevin) and kristo could possibly get it done.

Really depends on team need, but I figured your defense is young so you probably want a forward prospect as well. If you'd rather a defenseman however, It gets a little trickier because I don't think the organization wants to give up Ellis, Tinordi or Beaulieu as all we hear about is how they'll play together next year and the year after in the ahl then together with the habs in two. however weber and diaz would both be available.
I guess it all depends on how highly the Jackets rate Galchenyuk. If he's their guy, they'll just stay where they are and take him. If they have doubts or rate someone else more highly, then the pick might be available. I'm not sure if what you're proposing would be better than what might be offered by Burke or others. What would be needed to make you're trade happen would depend on who the Jackets might covet with the third pick - Forsberg, Murray, or Grigorenko (sp?). It's too confusing for me, I'll let someone else jump in who's better at these things than I!

pete goegan is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 09:39 AM
  #669
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I guess it all depends on how highly the Jackets rate Galchenyuk. If he's their guy, they'll just stay where they are and take him. If they have doubts or rate someone else more highly, then the pick might be available. I'm not sure if what you're proposing would be better than what might be offered by Burke or others. What would be needed to make you're trade happen would depend on who the Jackets might covet with the third pick - Forsberg, Murray, or Grigorenko (sp?). It's too confusing for me, I'll let someone else jump in who's better at these things than I!
Well that's the point, that way both teams get their guy but it would mainly be designed so that jackets get their guy and something extra, rather then trading down to five and not getting the player they want (assuming of course they see murray or forsberg as the #2) simply because montreal would likely take forsberg if galchenyuk is gone, and the islanders will take murray.

Also I really wish you guys had won the lottery this would all be so much simpler, you get yakupov, edmonton gets murray and we can all move along

subbanged is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 10:08 AM
  #670
Xoggz22
Registered User
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
How is Chet Pickard working out so far? The last I heard, they weren't all that thoroughly impressed with him. (Spent the bulk of the last two years in the ECHL).

Maybe it's just North American goalies that they're struggling with?

As for the Devils retaining their pick, it is a bit surprising. 29th overall in a fairly thin draft would be a good pick to give up, but looking at their prospect cupboard, maybe they're just hopeful that drafting a player now - and getting one more year of mileage out of Martin Brodeur - will afford them a similar opportunity next year. With the loss of Zach Parise, I'd be really surprised to see them picking any lower than 18th next year, and in a deeper draft.

Lou Lamoriello always has something up his sleeve, though.
Gotta believe they are looking squarely at one of the top Goalies....

Xoggz22 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 10:36 AM
  #671
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
There could also be a trade of some type already worked out as well.

I'm sticking with only Finley because Pickard at least has a chance to still do something. The clock is ticking on him, but he's still going.
Fair enough, Pickard could definitely do something with his career still. It has to be considered a long shot though. I also agree with your first point, New Jersey may have something in the works, and might be dealing that pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Lou has an aging (aged?) goalie. There are a couple really good goalie prospects that could be available at that pick. Waiting another year to fill Marty's shoes won't help, so, perhaps the thought process is that it is better to address his biggest need this year than to wait?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Gotta believe they are looking squarely at one of the top Goalies....
Could be; but there are some very good goaltenders in next year's draft also. Eric Comrie, for example, not only has NHL bloodlines, but is developing in the same program that has produced Carey Price and the aforementioned Chet Pickard. He could be a top-10 pick next year, but with New Jersey likely losing Zach Parise, an aging Martin Brodeur, and possibly Ilya Kovalchuk missing time due to whatever ailed him in the finals ... it's not unfathomable that their pick next year is in that range.

If it's me, and I'm choosing between Eric Comrie and Malcom Subban or Oscar Dansk, I'm taking Comrie ... even if it were this year's draft.

That's just one example - there are some other very good keepers who could either rise or fall into next year's draft.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
  #672
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,250
vCash: 500
So is the worm starting to turn towards "keeping LA's pick and taking the best Goaltender available in that spot" ?


I would probably be ok with that since we'd be making the very next pick too....

KeithBWhittington is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 11:22 AM
  #673
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Could be; but there are some very good goaltenders in next year's draft also. Eric Comrie, for example, not only has NHL bloodlines, but is developing in the same program that has produced Carey Price and the aforementioned Chet Pickard. He could be a top-10 pick next year, but with New Jersey likely losing Zach Parise, an aging Martin Brodeur, and possibly Ilya Kovalchuk missing time due to whatever ailed him in the finals ... it's not unfathomable that their pick next year is in that range.

If it's me, and I'm choosing between Eric Comrie and Malcom Subban or Oscar Dansk, I'm taking Comrie ... even if it were this year's draft.

That's just one example - there are some other very good keepers who could either rise or fall into next year's draft.
If they were picking top 10 the temptation would be to take a forward or defenseman. And, again, a year of development at this point is a big deal. I'm amazed Brodeur has lasted this long.

A year out it is hard to predict drafts with any scientific certainty. If I've learned anything by now it is, don't doubt Uncle Lou. That SOB will find some way to patch together a team even if he has seemingly no scoring power. Wait, I think that gives me an idea. *Paging Lou Lamoriello to the Blue (Jackets) Courtesy Phone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
So is the worm starting to turn towards "keeping LA's pick and taking the best Goaltender available in that spot" ?


I would probably be ok with that since we'd be making the very next pick too....
I don't see the point in holding out. Again, we can try to read the crystal ball, but the Kings may well be a better team next year. The core of their team will return. They have some cap space to work with. Banking on their pick being anything other than bottom of the first round again next year is probably foolish. We could use some organizational depth now instead of waiting the year.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 01:29 PM
  #674
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
I posted about this in the Forsberg thread on the Prospects forum, but I wanted to point this out for the general discussion about high draft picks going straight to the NHL and development of some players (like Ryan Johansen).

When Mats Sundin was drafted first overall, he was about 6'2, 185 lbs. His draft photos are barely recognizable:
http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!B8%289l!wCW...fdgvQ~~_35.JPG He stayed in Sweden for year, in part because of his military obligation (mandatory service ended in 2010 in Sweden). He was still growing and during that year, he was struggling in the SEL. He even had to replace his skates several times because he was outgrowing them. Had he played in the NHL, it would have been an even bigger struggle for him.

A prospect like Yakupov already has his size. He's not growing, he may get stronger, but he's already built like a stocky tank.

I can't imagine the bashing that would have happened if draft-watchers were online back in 1989 and Sundin was picked when he was that less physically developed and had such low numbers playing in the third tier Swedish league.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
  #675
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
I posted about this in the Forsberg thread on the Prospects forum, but I wanted to point this out for the general discussion about high draft picks going straight to the NHL and development of some players (like Ryan Johansen).

When Mats Sundin was drafted first overall, he was about 6'2, 185 lbs. His draft photos are barely recognizable:
http://i.ebayimg.com/17/!B8%289l!wCW...fdgvQ~~_35.JPG He stayed in Sweden for year, in part because of his military obligation (mandatory service ended in 2010 in Sweden). He was still growing and during that year, he was struggling in the SEL. He even had to replace his skates several times because he was outgrowing them. Had he played in the NHL, it would have been an even bigger struggle for him.

A prospect like Yakupov already has his size. He's not growing, he may get stronger, but he's already built like a stocky tank.

I can't imagine the bashing that would have happened if draft-watchers were online back in 1989 and Sundin was picked when he was that less physically developed and had such low numbers playing in the third tier Swedish league.
Imagine the bashing over the fact that Dave Chyzowski (picked #2) played in the NHL for part of the 1989-90 season as well, or that Stu Barnes (picked #4) went back to the WHL and put up even bigger numbers than the year before while playing fewer games.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.