HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2012, 01:50 PM
  #676
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
So is the worm starting to turn towards "keeping LA's pick and taking the best Goaltender available in that spot" ?


I would probably be ok with that since we'd be making the very next pick too....
I have always been okay with that. I am also okay with us not using the pick this year. I probably would prefer us to use it this year on a goaltender though.

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 02:01 PM
  #677
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
NJ has to be thinking of taking a goalie if they're keeping that pick. There's no reason otherwise that they would keep it. I really doubt that Subban or Dansk last that long. Frederik Andersen might be the wildcard if he is re-entering the draft and whether a team takes a risk on Andrei Vasilevski.

Likely the Jackets get a better goalie using the pick next season. The only reason to use it this year is a year of development, but still, the success of the Carter trade depends on that pick. I hate to see it wasted. This is a really weak draft and using it this year makes similar to a 2nd rounder.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
  #678
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
NJ has to be thinking of taking a goalie if they're keeping that pick. There's no reason otherwise that they would keep it. I really doubt that Subban or Dansk last that long. Frederik Andersen might be the wildcard if he is re-entering the draft and whether a team takes a risk on Andrei Vasilevski.

Likely the Jackets get a better goalie using the pick next season. The only reason to use it this year is a year of development, but still, the success of the Carter trade depends on that pick. I hate to see it wasted. This is a really weak draft and using it this year makes similar to a 2nd rounder.
Agreed. And when it comes down to it, there's a great chance that Subban, Dansk, and Vasilevsky don't even become the best goalies of this draft. Take the pick next year, use the second rounder on a scoring forward like Tim Bozon, then take a guy like Jon Gillies, Anthony Stolarz, Matt Murray, or Collin Olsen later in the draft.

In addition to Comrie, next year also has Zach Fucale slated to go in the top 10 or 15. I'd say take BPA with the first pick next year, then take one of these goalies with LA's pick.

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
  #679
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Vasilevsky wants to play in CHL or AHL the next season. I think we could draft two goalies from the couple Subban, Vasilevsky, Dansk, Makarov. IMO Vasilevsky and Dansk or Vasilevsky and Makarov. If not so Dansk and Makarov.

mt-svk is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 02:39 PM
  #680
v3rs3
Registered User
 
v3rs3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
I really thought Andrei Makarov looked solid in the WJC gold medal game. I'd be happy snagging him up if Dansk or Subban are gone.

v3rs3 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
  #681
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Subban, Vasilevsky and Dansk are ahead in their development and likely they are closer to the NHL. But that doesn't mean a later pick won't turn out to be a better goalie.

What to do with the LA pick and the two 2nd rounders becomes so challenging since there might be goalie(s) there but it comes down to asset management. There are bigger needs at forward. They also need to look at where in 2-3 years the goalies already in the organization will be. Anton Forsberg probably will come over next season. They could pick up Frederik Andersen or trade for a AHL ready goalie prospect. But if they use the LA pick or a 2nd rounder for a goalie, then there's going to need to be some space to get them playing time in the AHL, maybe as soon as next season.

Maybe the better strategy would be to take Joonas Korpisalo and Collin Olson this year in the later rounds, then use the LA pick next season for another goalie, especially if Anton Forsberg isn't turning out. That way they can focus on taking forwards in the 2nd round.

But the Jackets really need to walk out of the 2012 draft with 2 goalies.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
  #682
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
NJ has to be thinking of taking a goalie if they're keeping that pick. There's no reason otherwise that they would keep it. I really doubt that Subban or Dansk last that long. Frederik Andersen might be the wildcard if he is re-entering the draft and whether a team takes a risk on Andrei Vasilevski.

Likely the Jackets get a better goalie using the pick next season. The only reason to use it this year is a year of development, but still, the success of the Carter trade depends on that pick. I hate to see it wasted. This is a really weak draft and using it this year makes similar to a 2nd rounder.
FWIW, the Devils have announced they are keeping this years pick.

Nordique is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
  #683
Xoggz22
Registered User
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
NJ has to be thinking of taking a goalie if they're keeping that pick. There's no reason otherwise that they would keep it. I really doubt that Subban or Dansk last that long. Frederik Andersen might be the wildcard if he is re-entering the draft and whether a team takes a risk on Andrei Vasilevski.

Likely the Jackets get a better goalie using the pick next season. The only reason to use it this year is a year of development, but still, the success of the Carter trade depends on that pick. I hate to see it wasted. This is a really weak draft and using it this year makes similar to a 2nd rounder.
If a Nash trade were to go down with say BOS, NYR, PHI.... I think their late 1st would be used this year and LA's 1st either traded for goaltending or held until next year.

I'm still very high on Dansk and possibly Stolarz

Xoggz22 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 04:48 PM
  #684
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,444
vCash: 500
Why not just draft a goaltender with every pick, but our #2 overall ?

RDriesenUD is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
  #685
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Lou has an aging (aged?) goalie. There are a couple really good goalie prospects that could be available at that pick. Waiting another year to fill Marty's shoes won't help, so, perhaps the thought process is that it is better to address his biggest need this year than to wait?
You mean Lou would draft for need rather than the BPA? Doesn't he know that goalies are a risk if picked higher that 165th?

EspenK is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
  #686
chunkbox
Registered User
 
chunkbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Findlay , Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Why not just draft a goaltender with every pick, but our #2 overall ?
there you go making sense again ...

chunkbox is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
  #687
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 15,945
vCash: 500
I agree with above, if we get a 1st back in a deal with PHI/NYR/BOS/SJS we use that pick on the best goalie available...then we can go offense with LAs 1st and our 2nd or offense/defense either way, based on who's there...then in 4th/5th round take another goalie and we are done...

just my opinion...we get some serious depth into the system this year and next...

Fro is online now  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:04 PM
  #688
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
I still think Tanner Pearson is gonna be this years skinner/connolly. I really think this kid is gonna be special.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
  #689
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
I still think Tanner Pearson is gonna be this years skinner/connolly. I really think this kid is gonna be special.
I don't think Tanner Pearson is going to be anywhere near that good. I think Pearson will be selected in the 20-40 range, and will be a 50-60 point NHL player. There's definitely the potential for him to be better, but truly, I see him as a Matt Stajan type player.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
  #690
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Any draft picks for a Nash trade need to be 2013 not 2012. There's too big of a chance of a Kessel type of deal there where the Jackets end up with a top 10 or lottery pick in one of the best drafts in 10 years. The chance of landing one of the top players in next season's draft is worth waiting another 12 months.


The way things stand, the Jackets should be able to get some depth without having to waste the LA pick (or needing to pick up an additional 1st rounder).

I could see things going like this:

2nd - Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Murray (maybe trade down and pick up additional assets)
31st - Dansk (although, I'm not sure he'll be there, but in a good draft, he wouldn't go 1st round)
45th - Dalton Thrower (2-way WHL defenseman)
62nd - Charles Hudon (undersized QMJHL forward)
95th - Nick Ebert (they took Seth Ambroz last year, so...)
117th - Branden Troock (WHL power forward who's battled injuries)
152nd - Teddy Blueger (Latvian center, headed to Mankato)
182nd - Collin Olson (USNTDP goalie, headed to OSU)

That adds depth and next year's draft would be the opportunity to add serious talent if they land a top 10 pick. Multiple top 10 picks would be amazing.


Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 06-13-2012 at 06:30 PM.
JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
  #691
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Any draft picks for a Nash trade need to be 2013 not 2012. There's too big of a chance of a Kessel type of deal there where the Jackets end up with a top 10 or lottery pick in one of the best drafts in 10 years. The chance of landing one of the top players in next season's draft is worth waiting another 12 months.
Which team interested in Nash do you think is going to be in the lottery next year that is on his list?

If Toronto is on his list, that seems like the only one. I don't see any chance of SJ being a lottery team next year. Or Philly. Or NYR. Etc.

And, if we're dealing with Toronto, why not go the full Kessell if that is your concern and ask them for this year's pick AND next year's, PLUS a roster player because Nash is a better talent now than Kessell was then?

The idea that LA's pick is going to be that much better next year is a joke. We constantly here that "next year's draft is going to be deeper." Then it rolls around and it turns out it isn't as deep as people thought once there has been time to really scrutinize the players. Beyond which, very few drafts are so deep that there is a significant difference from one year to the next in the 20-30 range of picks. The notable exception was, of course, the 2003 draft, in which we took Zherdev when guys like Burns, Mike Richards, Corey Perry and a guy named Ryan Kessler who just happened to play college hockey right here in Columbus were all taken in the 20-30 range. Unfortunately, 2003 is the exception to the rule, by far.


Last edited by CapnCornelius: 06-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
CapnCornelius is online now  
Old
06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
  #692
JacketsFanWest
Registered User
 
JacketsFanWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
No one would have thought the Canadiens or Ducks would have had as bad of seasons as they did or that the Lightning and Sabres would miss the playoffs. A team like SJ can retool and fail. All it takes is goaltending or injury issues and a team could tank.

This year's draft class was destroyed by injuries, but it was always promoted as strong defensive draft. MacKinnon has the Crosby connection and buzz from holding out on the QMJHL draft, but he's still an incredibly highly rated prospect who's only a few days removed from being a 2014 draft pick and still dominated the QMJHL. If he was available this year as a 16 year old, he'd go first over Yakupov. How many lottery balls would you want the Jackets to have with a chance for a player like that?

Forsberg and Murray aren't exactly exciting prospects. Seth Jones, MacKinnon, Max Domi, Sasha Barkov, Hunter Shinkaruk and Elias Lindholm are.

It's going to be the first draft in a long time that there's a real debate on who's #1 and if someone breaks free and becomes the clear-cut #1, then that's going to be a really good player. It's also should be the first draft in years that there's goalies talked about as going Top 10 and maybe Top 5.

JacketsFanWest is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 08:22 PM
  #693
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ
 
Gagnefan924's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
No one would have thought the Canadiens or Ducks would have had as bad of seasons as they did or that the Lightning and Sabres would miss the playoffs. A team like SJ can retool and fail. All it takes is goaltending or injury issues and a team could tank.

This year's draft class was destroyed by injuries, but it was always promoted as strong defensive draft. MacKinnon has the Crosby connection and buzz from holding out on the QMJHL draft, but he's still an incredibly highly rated prospect who's only a few days removed from being a 2014 draft pick and still dominated the QMJHL. If he was available this year as a 16 year old, he'd go first over Yakupov. How many lottery balls would you want the Jackets to have with a chance for a player like that?

Forsberg and Murray aren't exactly exciting prospects. Seth Jones, MacKinnon, Max Domi, Sasha Barkov, Hunter Shinkaruk and Elias Lindholm are.

It's going to be the first draft in a long time that there's a real debate on who's #1 and if someone breaks free and becomes the clear-cut #1, then that's going to be a really good player. It's also should be the first draft in years that there's goalies talked about as going Top 10 and maybe Top 5.
Im not going to pretend that I know all the prospects you just listed after Forsberg and Murray, but Murray was hyped as a complete stud last year. The same **** happens every year with draft picks...

Gagnefan924 is offline  
Old
06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
  #694
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Any draft picks for a Nash trade need to be 2013 not 2012. There's too big of a chance of a Kessel type of deal there where the Jackets end up with a top 10 or lottery pick in one of the best drafts in 10 years. The chance of landing one of the top players in next season's draft is worth waiting another 12 months.


The way things stand, the Jackets should be able to get some depth without having to waste the LA pick (or needing to pick up an additional 1st rounder).

I could see things going like this:

2nd - Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Murray (maybe trade down and pick up additional assets)
31st - Dansk (although, I'm not sure he'll be there, but in a good draft, he wouldn't go 1st round)
45th - Dalton Thrower (2-way WHL defenseman)
62nd - Charles Hudon (undersized QMJHL forward)
95th - Nick Ebert (they took Seth Ambroz last year, so...)
117th - Branden Troock (WHL power forward who's battled injuries)
152nd - Teddy Blueger (Latvian center, headed to Mankato)
182nd - Collin Olson (USNTDP goalie, headed to OSU)

That adds depth and next year's draft would be the opportunity to add serious talent if they land a top 10 pick. Multiple top 10 picks would be amazing.
If the 2012 draft goes anything like that for the Jackets, you and I both will be ecstatic. While I'm not thrilled with Dalton Thrower at 45 (depending on who's there), the rest of that is very intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Im not going to pretend that I know all the prospects you just listed after Forsberg and Murray, but Murray was hyped as a complete stud last year. The same **** happens every year with draft picks...
While I somewhat disagree with what JFW said there (I do see excitement in Murray and Forsberg), he's sort of right. I think if they mixed the two drafts, there are easily 5-6 players that would compete with Nail Yakupov for first overall right now. The thing is, this year's draft is fairly "blah", whereas next year's draft looks to be loaded with top tier talent, and has the depth to produce some significant NHL players in the late first/early second rounds.

Once you get to about 12-14 in this year's draft, you're talking about players that I honestly don't think would go in the first round next year. It's that big of a difference.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
  #695
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Which team interested in Nash do you think is going to be in the lottery next year that is on his list?

If Toronto is on his list, that seems like the only one. I don't see any chance of SJ being a lottery team next year. Or Philly. Or NYR. Etc.

And, if we're dealing with Toronto, why not go the full Kessell if that is your concern and ask them for this year's pick AND next year's, PLUS a roster player because Nash is a better talent now than Kessell was then?

The idea that LA's pick is going to be that much better next year is a joke. We constantly here that "next year's draft is going to be deeper." Then it rolls around and it turns out it isn't as deep as people thought once there has been time to really scrutinize the players. Beyond which, very few drafts are so deep that there is a significant difference from one year to the next in the 20-30 range of picks. The notable exception was, of course, the 2003 draft, in which we took Zherdev when guys like Burns, Mike Richards, Corey Perry and a guy named Ryan Kessler who just happened to play college hockey right here in Columbus were all taken in the 20-30 range. Unfortunately, 2003 is the exception to the rule, by far.
I feel like that literally only happened this year due to the injuries, but I really only started paying attention to the draft in-depth in '07. 2008 lived up to whatever hype there was, '09 was pretty solid, as were '10 and '11 so far. TBH, I think there's middle ground. Scouting has evolved so much just since the lockout ended. The players most people rate in the first round seem to be hitting the big stage not only earlier, but with more effect (except for us..). Yes, you do get a full year of scrutiny, but that's just a natural occurrence. Conversely, lots of players in the draft that go under the radar get the "underrated" label too. Look at the Scheifele pick last year. Couturier was still on the board, and he had been supposedly a top 3 pick for the year or so leading up to the draft. Scheifele, a good prospect in his own right, is one of those guys people expected to be picked in the 15ish range. Couturier lasted so long because of all of the scrutiny, and it turns out he's as good as advertised (so far).

2013 should be a special draft given the accolades most of the top players had this year alone. If they can play as well as they did this year (and, in theory, they should improve on it), there is no reason to believe it shouldn't be special.

I do agree, though, that the mid-first-round picks in a given draft typically have the same chance of success as such picks in another draft.


Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 06-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 09:53 AM
  #696
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I don't see the point in holding out. Again, we can try to read the crystal ball, but the Kings may well be a better team next year. The core of their team will return. They have some cap space to work with. Banking on their pick being anything other than bottom of the first round again next year is probably foolish. We could use some organizational depth now instead of waiting the year.
Its a tough call imo. You grab that pick now, or push it back a year to improve its position. The Kings will likely make the playoffs next year, its however very unlikely they'll win the cup. Taking the pick now, means getting a prospect in the system a year sooner, even if its likely to be a slightly less attractive prospect to what we'd get with next year's LA 1st round pick.

If I'm Howson and Co. and I see a real use for that pick this year, I'd excercise my rites to it. If I'm not sure, I parlay it til next season hoping the field looks better and the pick becomes petter positioned.

Given the sense of urgency, I expect the pick will be used this year.

Nordique is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 10:13 AM
  #697
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I feel like that literally only happened this year due to the injuries, but I really only started paying attention to the draft in-depth in '07. 2008 lived up to whatever hype there was, '09 was pretty solid, as were '10 and '11 so far. TBH, I think there's middle ground. Scouting has evolved so much just since the lockout ended. The players most people rate in the first round seem to be hitting the big stage not only earlier, but with more effect (except for us..). Yes, you do get a full year of scrutiny, but that's just a natural occurrence. Conversely, lots of players in the draft that go under the radar get the "underrated" label too. Look at the Scheifele pick last year. Couturier was still on the board, and he had been supposedly a top 3 pick for the year or so leading up to the draft. Scheifele, a good prospect in his own right, is one of those guys people expected to be picked in the 15ish range. Couturier lasted so long because of all of the scrutiny, and it turns out he's as good as advertised (so far).

2013 should be a special draft given the accolades most of the top players had this year alone. If they can play as well as they did this year (and, in theory, they should improve on it), there is no reason to believe it shouldn't be special.

I do agree, though, that the mid-first-round picks in a given draft typically have the same chance of success as such picks in another draft.
Good analogy. I definitely think that there are not only more scouting resources to teams post-lockout (saving money on player salary with the cap and all), but there are also better opportunities to view these players, with the WJCs being bigger than ever, and junior hockey in general really starting to expand and grow it's reputation. In Canada and the United States, we're seeing the grassroots programs that used to be aimed towards developing "systematic" players, once again focusing on players' individual skillsets. There's a reason the WHL had it's first #1 overall pick since 1996 last year, and it has nothing to do with the lack of talent elsewhere.

And not to derail the thread, but for what it's worth, we nailed the Scheifele pick spot on last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its a tough call imo. You grab that pick now, or push it back a year to improve its position. The Kings will likely make the playoffs next year, its however very unlikely they'll win the cup. Taking the pick now, means getting a prospect in the system a year sooner, even if its likely to be a slightly less attractive prospect to what we'd get with next year's LA 1st round pick.

If I'm Howson and Co. and I see a real use for that pick this year, I'd excercise my rites to it. If I'm not sure, I parlay it til next season hoping the field looks better and the pick becomes petter positioned.

Given the sense of urgency, I expect the pick will be used this year.
Some good points here. The Jackets have until two picks before to decide if they want that pick or not. If there are two or three players that are on their immediate board, they could use this pick and the #31 pick and get two of them. While I'm a proponent of holding off until next year, if there's a gem prospect there, take him. That being said, don't use it on a Dalton Smith type player!

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 10:14 AM
  #698
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
No one would have thought the Canadiens or Ducks would have had as bad of seasons as they did or that the Lightning and Sabres would miss the playoffs. A team like SJ can retool and fail. All it takes is goaltending or injury issues and a team could tank.
I pretty much had the Ducks pegged from day one. As for the others? Meh. Didn't exactly expect any of them to win the Stanley Cup. Of that bunch, the Lightning was the biggest surprise.

Quote:
This year's draft class was destroyed by injuries, but it was always promoted as strong defensive draft. MacKinnon has the Crosby connection and buzz from holding out on the QMJHL draft, but he's still an incredibly highly rated prospect who's only a few days removed from being a 2014 draft pick and still dominated the QMJHL. If he was available this year as a 16 year old, he'd go first over Yakupov. How many lottery balls would you want the Jackets to have with a chance for a player like that?
I really don't care. I'm just going to be honest here that the whole fascination with prospects does nothing for me. I don't think I could endure a whole year of [Something that rhymes with MacKinnon] for MacKinnon. If he falls to us, great. But if this team's whole plan is to hope that some balls bounce their way, we see how well that worked out this time. I've had about enough of leaving things to chance. It is time to make things happen now instead of hoping for some dumb luck in the future.

Quote:
It's going to be the first draft in a long time that there's a real debate on who's #1 and if someone breaks free and becomes the clear-cut #1, then that's going to be a really good player. It's also should be the first draft in years that there's goalies talked about as going Top 10 and maybe Top 5.
Yeah, I remember a lot of people feeling that way about the 2007 draft a year out from it and even in the days preceding it. There was the whole cult of Angelo Esposito which came crashing down as the year progressed. And there was a lot of drama at the time about which of the top 3 would be #1. Now the Flyers would be more than willing to trade JVR, Turris didn't work out for the Coyotes and was already traded and even the great Patrick Kane is the subject of trade rumors because of his non-stop dance party. And how ironic that many Jackets fans are desperate to get Logan Couture in a Rick Nash trade, when our fool GM passed him over for Voracek? Five years later that draft looks far weaker than all of the prospectfiles were telling us.

CapnCornelius is online now  
Old
06-14-2012, 10:17 AM
  #699
CalBuckeyeRob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its a tough call imo. You grab that pick now, or push it back a year to improve its position. The Kings will likely make the playoffs next year, its however very unlikely they'll win the cup. Taking the pick now, means getting a prospect in the system a year sooner, even if its likely to be a slightly less attractive prospect to what we'd get with next year's LA 1st round pick.

If I'm Howson and Co. and I see a real use for that pick this year, I'd excercise my rites to it. If I'm not sure, I parlay it til next season hoping the field looks better and the pick becomes petter positioned.

Given the sense of urgency, I expect the pick will be used this year.
Fully agree. When you know that you need to wait at least 2-3 years to get the guy ready to play at the NHL level, the cost of waiting one more year is significant. It is almost certain that the Kings will have a better regular season record than this year. Even if the pick improves to #20 next year, is it worth delaying the pick a year? I suspect they will make a list of the top 20 guys on their board and if they can get 2 of them with picks 30 and 31 they will just use the pick now.

CalBuckeyeRob is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 11:00 AM
  #700
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its a tough call imo. You grab that pick now, or push it back a year to improve its position. The Kings will likely make the playoffs next year, its however very unlikely they'll win the cup. Taking the pick now, means getting a prospect in the system a year sooner, even if its likely to be a slightly less attractive prospect to what we'd get with next year's LA 1st round pick.

If I'm Howson and Co. and I see a real use for that pick this year, I'd excercise my rites to it. If I'm not sure, I parlay it til next season hoping the field looks better and the pick becomes petter positioned.

Given the sense of urgency, I expect the pick will be used this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Some good points here. The Jackets have until two picks before to decide if they want that pick or not. If there are two or three players that are on their immediate board, they could use this pick and the #31 pick and get two of them. While I'm a proponent of holding off until next year, if there's a gem prospect there, take him. That being said, don't use it on a Dalton Smith type player!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBuckeyeRob View Post
Fully agree. When you know that you need to wait at least 2-3 years to get the guy ready to play at the NHL level, the cost of waiting one more year is significant. It is almost certain that the Kings will have a better regular season record than this year. Even if the pick improves to #20 next year, is it worth delaying the pick a year? I suspect they will make a list of the top 20 guys on their board and if they can get 2 of them with picks 30 and 31 they will just use the pick now.
I also agree .

RDriesenUD is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.