HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
Well I guess Savard, Gobo, Weber, or Prout could play in our top 6 forward role since we will have guys like Letestu, Umberger that will have to play that role
Who are you drafting that's magically going to fix the front end this year?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:24 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Who are you drafting that's magically going to fix the front end this year?
Unless Yak falls to #2 probably no one (and even one guy is not going to make this team an offensive juggernaut)-but that's the point if you don't start to rebuild the offense the future will remain bleak. Who you going to pick next year-Seth Jones?

I think it has to be a forward.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Unless Yak falls to #2 probably no one (and even one guy is not going to make this team an offensive juggernaut)-but that's the point if you don't start to rebuild the offense the future will remain bleak. Who you going to pick next year-Seth Jones?

And my point is that by developing skilled depth on the defensive side you can up grade the front end via trade. And since young developed D have a greater value you can get a better return down the road. Build from the back end out. My preference would be to get to the point where we are really solid, and by that I would mean top third in the league, on the blue line.

Fix one problem, and fix it right, then fix the next problem.

Old
06-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I assure you, that was not my goal!

I really think Columbus drafts Galchenyuk; I think his showing at the combine was strong enough to warrant them taking the risk, and I think that they need to get the best potential player available. This is why I think Montreal takes Grigorenko - they need depth down the middle as well; the Islanders get the guy that they would probably take at #2, and Toronto lands Filip Forsberg.
Here's my rationale with taking Galchenyuk.... Brassard has two years remaining on his current deal. I would imagine that Galy returns to Juniors next year which likely means he ends up with the CBJ in Brass's contract year. Johansen plays center next year (3rd line? 2nd line? wherever) and we have a better idea how Brass and Johan perform while have a third potential top 6 center developing. When Brass and Johan's contracts need renewed in 2 years you can hopefully make an educated decision on where you sit with your top 2 centers.

Also, Chaput and Jenner will both be pushing for jobs but neither has the offensive gifts that Galchenyuk have and I think Jenner could play wing. I just think we have a good situation to review (yet still have potential to achieve) and adding to one of the toughest positions to stock would be a great idea. With the Nash trade you can get another 1st and likely draft a wing or d-man. We're fairly well stocked on defense which could also be used to trade for wings.

Now goaltending.....

Old
06-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Cmon Friday. Take Galchenyuk at the 2 spot. Nash gets us some magical combination that gives hope for this coming season. Harding or Schneider or Luongo becomes the #1, and a competent #2 is signed. Mason gets claimed on waivers by some lucky team thinking he'll turn it around.

Davidson is brought in as President of hockey operations. There are no early season suspensions or injuries, allowing the team to gel out of the gate.

Isn't fiction wonderful?

Old
06-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:

Nashville has done pretty well with a group of no name forwards that are pluggers, grinders, some skill but very little high end offensive talent. Sure, they haven't won a cup but with their defense and goaltending, I think it's a great way to start. We fix the goaltending and we're in much better competitive shape. we'll get the forwards too but strong defensive depth and provide a world of winning hockey

Old
06-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Here's my rationale with taking Galchenyuk.... Brassard has two years remaining on his current deal. I would imagine that Galy returns to Juniors next year which likely means he ends up with the CBJ in Brass's contract year. Johansen plays center next year (3rd line? 2nd line? wherever) and we have a better idea how Brass and Johan perform while have a third potential top 6 center developing. When Brass and Johan's contracts need renewed in 2 years you can hopefully make an educated decision on where you sit with your top 2 centers.

Also, Chaput and Jenner will both be pushing for jobs but neither has the offensive gifts that Galchenyuk have and I think Jenner could play wing. I just think we have a good situation to review (yet still have potential to achieve) and adding to one of the toughest positions to stock would be a great idea. With the Nash trade you can get another 1st and likely draft a wing or d-man. We're fairly well stocked on defense which could also be used to trade for wings.

Now goaltending.....
I still prefer Murray and the build from the back end. This is a very acceptable and a quite probable alternative. Well done.

Now goaltending......

Old
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
We get it. You hate management. If you want to complain, go to the Fire Howson thread.
You're mistaken sir. I have no faith in their drafting ability based on years of accumulated evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Best looking girlfriend I've ever seen at a draft was Brian Finley in 1999.

For those who have never heard of Brian Finley, he's the lone exception to the idea that "Nashville is magic with goalies".
Thanks for bringing us back on topic.
So you're saying we need to scout their girlfriends in the stands before announcing the pick? Given past results, we might as well try it.

Or we could post a poll and use that. Or just let Cap'n pick because he says the most.

...and fire Howson.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

So We are looking for the "Ryan Tannehill" of the NHL draft....

Old
06-16-2012, 10:27 AM
big eyeball

Draft Tickets

I have four tickets for Saturday rounds 2-7. I can't go but I would really like to have as many Bluejackets jerseys in that arena as we can get. I'll let them go for cheap, PM me if interested. Thanks

Old
06-16-2012, 10:44 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
No, the Mrs.Tannehill

Old
06-16-2012, 10:49 AM
jacks johnson

Quote:
And my point is that by developing skilled depth on the defensive side you can up grade the front end via trade. And since young developed D have a greater value you can get a better return down the road. Build from the back end out. My preference would be to get to the point where we are really solid, and by that I would mean top third in the league, on the blue line.

I understand build from the back end, but you get elite forwards when you have a chance. We have pretty good depth at D, and little to none at the forward position. Say we draft Murray, yeah we have a better defense, maybe win a few more games in the short term, probably miss the playoffs, and draft around 12-14 next year, you don't pick up a forsberg or galchenyuk in that range usually. Look at some of the past #2 picks the past 10 years, like a Malkin. Murray could be great, but a lot of scouts feel like a Reily or Reinhart have a higher ceiling, if we went D, I would trade down and grab one of these guys. But we don't need D. Get a goalie like Schneider, Rask, Bernier, and with our current D, we already have a pretty decent team. Trading Nash should help get a few more pieces to really build on. I don't expect a Galchenyuk to be our savior next year, let him develop, but we need forwards in a bad way, especially when you look at our current top 6.

Also, Nashville has one of the best goalies in the game, a great defense, but they are pretty lacking at the forward position. Now they are going to try to address bringing in scoring, but teams usually don't trade elite forwards, unless they are getting a big return, maybe they are able to attract a Paraise ?

Old
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
EspenK

Quote:

I'm not sure you can achieve what you want by how you propose to do it. Sooner or later, somebody has to be your #5,6,& 7 d-men. They get less time, their stats suffer, their trade value diminishes and everyone is looking for one of your top 4. So you trade your top 4. Bad things happen when you trade one of your top 4 d-men. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist parodying the Direct TV ad). Then you have to have a GM who is willing to trade a top 4 guy. And someone who is willing to give up front line talent for a D-man. I am skeptical it can happen the way you envision. Obviously I prefer to draft offense and try to get it right for a change. We'll know Friday.

Look what Dion Phaneuf garnered. Of course Scotty Gomez yielded Ryan McDonagh so maybe it can work in reverse.

Old
06-16-2012, 10:58 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I understand build from the back end, but you get elite forwards when you have a chance. We have pretty good depth at D, and little to none at the forward position. Say we draft Murray, yeah we have a better defense, maybe win a few more games in the short term, probably miss the playoffs, and draft around 12-14 next year, you don't pick up a forsberg or galchenyuk in that range usually. Look at some of the past #2 picks the past 10 years, like a Malkin. Murray could be great, but a lot of scouts feel like a Reily or Reinhart have a higher ceiling, if we went D, I would trade down and grab one of these guys. But we don't need D. Get a goalie like Schneider, Rask, Bernier, and with our current D, we already have a pretty decent team. Trading Nash should help get a few more pieces to really build on. I don't expect a Galchenyuk to be our savior next year, let him develop, but we need forwards in a bad way, especially when you look at our current top 6.
I agree, especially the bolded portion.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:11 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Also, Nashville has one of the best goalies in the game, a great defense, but they are pretty lacking at the forward position. Now they are going to try to address bringing in scoring, but teams usually don't trade elite forwards, unless they are getting a big return, maybe they are able to attract a Paraise ?
Yes, poor Nashville. All they've done is made the playoffs the last two years.

Seriously, people talk about building from the goal out and then the draft comes and this focus goes out the window. If you are using a pick on a forward, it better be a center. Look at the teams that win the Cup--goal, defense, center. Those are the priorities. You can get good enough wings in free agency. As we've seen time and again, the others are not so easily acquired.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:31 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Yes, poor Nashville. All they've done is made the playoffs the last two years.

Seriously, people talk about building from the goal out and then the draft comes and this focus goes out the window. If you are using a pick on a forward, it better be a center. Look at the teams that win the Cup--goal, defense, center. Those are the priorities. You can get good enough wings in free agency. As we've seen time and again, the others are not so easily acquired.
I think the UFA pool is shrinking over the last few years and I expect it to continue to shrink as GM's lock up their you talent for longer periods of time. of course if the Jackets sign Parise, I'll change my mind.

I agree that the Cup goes to the team that is strong at the positions you mentioned. However after being "brainwashed" by the Mayor and others about not drafting a goalie sooner than 165th nor trading for a potentially outstanding one, looks like goalie is off the table for immediate help as far as the draft goes.

I favor Galchenyuk for the reasons you state. You have to have a good to great center depth. Potentially, Galy/RyJo could be a solid 1/2 for years to come. Throw in Jenner/Chaput on the third-could be very solid.

Adding Murray ranks for me above adding Forsberg. IMO he is too young and forwards are easier (although not necessarily for the Jackets) to come by.

Old
06-16-2012, 11:56 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I agree that the Cup goes to the team that is strong at the positions you mentioned. However after being "brainwashed" by the Mayor and others about not drafting a goalie sooner than 165th nor trading for a potentially outstanding one, looks like goalie is off the table for immediate help as far as the draft goes.

I favor Galchenyuk for the reasons you state. You have to have a good to great center depth. Potentially, Galy/RyJo could be a solid 1/2 for years to come. Throw in Jenner/Chaput on the third-could be very solid.

Adding Murray ranks for me above adding Forsberg. IMO he is too young and forwards are easier (although not necessarily for the Jackets) to come by.
Let me count the ways MB is wrong...
Marty Brodeur--#20 overall
Patrick Roy--#51 overall
Jonanathan Quick--#72 overall
Marc Andre Fleury--#1 overall
Chris Osgood--#54 overall
J.S. Giguere--#13 overall
Cam Ward--#25 overall
Mike Richter--#28 overall
Tom Barrasso--#5 overall
Grant Fuhr--#8 overall
Mike Vernon--#56 overall
Bill Ranford--#52 overall
Ken Dryden--#14 overall
Billy Smith--#59 overall

I think those guys won some Cups, no?

Notable exceptions--
Antti Niemi--undrafted
Nikolai Khabibulin--#204 overall
Tim Thomas--#217 overall
Dominick Hasek--#199
Ed Belfour--undrafted
Bernie Parent

Another point--the exceptions didn't tend to win multiple Cups.

Oh, by the way, Josh Harding was drafted #38 overall. So, if it isn't wise to draft a goalie that high, is it wise to sign him as a free agent after he was drafted that high?

Old
06-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Let me count the ways MB is wrong...
Marty Brodeur--#20 overall
Patrick Roy--#51 overall
Jonanathan Quick--#72 overall
Marc Andre Fleury--#1 overall
Chris Osgood--#54 overall
J.S. Giguere--#13 overall
Cam Ward--#25 overall
Mike Richter--#28 overall
Tom Barrasso--#5 overall
Grant Fuhr--#8 overall
Mike Vernon--#56 overall
Bill Ranford--#52 overall
Ken Dryden--#14 overall
Billy Smith--#59 overall

I think those guys won some Cups, no?
So?

Narrow it down to the last 20 years, then take a look at how those players were acquired and for what. That leaves us:

1992-93 - 3rd-round pick nine years earlier (Patrick Roy)
1993-94 - 2nd-round pick nine years earlier (Mike Richter)
1994-95 - 1st-round pick five years earlier (Martin Brodeur)
1995-96 - Acquired six months earlier with Mike Keane for Kovalenko, Thibault, and Rucinsky (Patrick Roy)
1996-97 - Acquired three years earlier for Steve Chiasson (Mike Vernon)
1997-98 - 3rd-round pick seven years earlier (Chris Osgood)
1998-99 - Signed as a free agent two years earlier (Ed Belfour)
1999-00 - 1st-round pick ten years earlier (Brodeur)
2000-01 - Acquired five years earlier in the same deal referenced for 1995-96 (Patrick Roy)
2001-02 - Acquired one year earlier for Slava Kozlov and a 1st-rounder (Dominik Hasek)
2002-03 - 1st-round pick thirteen years earlier (Brodeur)
2003-04 - Acquired three years earlier with Stanislav Neckar for Mike Johnson, Paul Mara, Ruslan Zainullin, and a 2nd-rounder (Nikolai Khabibulin)
2005-06 - 1st-round pick four years earlier (Cam Ward)
2006-07 - Acquired seven years earlier for 2nd-round pick (J-S Giguere)
2007-08 - Signed as free agent three years prior (Chris Osgood)
2008-09 - 1st-round pick six years earlier (Marc-Andre Fleury)
2009-10 - Signed as undrafted European free agent two years earlier (Antti Niemi)
2010-11 - Signed as undrafted European free agent nine years earlier (Tim Thomas)
2011-12 - 3rd-round pick seven years earlier (Jonathan Quick)

My point is, and has been, that a significant outlay of assets to get a goalie isn't exactly a great idea. Essentially, it's the one position that mirrors the NFL development model...a good one can come from anywhere in the draft (or outside the draft), and the return on any goalie that ranks below "elite" in the market is less than would be expected for a forward or defenseman of similar caliber.

Don't forget that Jaroslav Halak had the huge playoff year, then was traded for a good-but-not-great prospect in Lars Eller. People were up in arms last year because Varlamov netted a 1st- and 2nd-round pick that was universally regarded as significant overpayment.

Harding was 38th overall...what's your point? Even if he were signed, I doubt that he'd net anything more than a 3rd-rounder in the trade market.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:10 PM
CalBuckeyeRob

I think the problem in evaluating goalies is that performance is often deceptive. Curtis Sanford had a 2.60 GAA and a .911 Save percentage and went 10-18. Craig Anderson for Ottawa and Cam Ward for Carolina had worse GAAs and only marginally better save percentages while putting up winning records. Offense can make a goalie seem more effective than he really was.

Until a goalie puts up significantly better than league average stats for several years you cannot be sure if the stats are simply a fluke or due to the surrounding talent making them appear better. For that reason, you trade for a guy that looked great on Vancouver, he might be average or worse on Columbus. Because of that, you pay less for goalies in trade because there are so few Roys and Brodeurs in the talent pool.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:03 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Quote:
No, the Mrs.Tannehill
Yes, according to "Leesmith's Rule" this is how we should draft. And barring a real looker beinga available, we go with whoever the person with the most posts in this thread picks (Cap'n's Rule).

...and then we fire Howson.

Old
06-16-2012, 03:27 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Out of our cannon?

Old
06-16-2012, 08:44 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

One name continues to prevade my thinking now that its become official that the CBJ are at least fielding offers for the 2nd overall. Howson seemed general pleased, despite the +/- rating, with John Moore's inagural season in Columbus. Moore was billed as the best-skating defenseman in his draft. This year, Brad Skjei with the USNDTP is rated very similar, skating-wise, to John Moore, and many mocks I've seen have him going with in the 19-26 range (Moore went 18th).

I don't forsee a drastic tradedown until the early twenties, but if Howson wants him, he could potentially get extra pick(s) back to move down into the teens or 20.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Yes, according to "Leesmith's Rule" this is how we should draft. And barring a real looker beinga available, we go with whoever the person with the most posts in this thread picks (Cap'n's Rule).

Hey, my approach will boost TV ratings. They've gone to hell since CBJCougar stopped sitting behind the Jackets bench.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
One name continues to prevade my thinking now that its become official that the CBJ are at least fielding offers for the 2nd overall. Howson seemed general pleased, despite the +/- rating, with John Moore's inagural season in Columbus. Moore was billed as the best-skating defenseman in his draft. This year, Brad Skjei with the USNDTP is rated very similar, skating-wise, to John Moore, and many mocks I've seen have him going with in the 19-26 range (Moore went 18th).

I don't forsee a drastic tradedown until the early twenties, but if Howson wants him, he could potentially get extra pick(s) back to move down into the teens or 20.
Remind me why we would want another John Moore? Do we really need two of those guys?

Old
06-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Summer issues are killing me with staying current here but if I may say this;

1. Buffalo does not want to deal with the CBJ in any format.... not for Nash, draft picks or anything else. A gut statement not fact but I just don't see that organization being bold when they have a history of building via their system.

2. If Nail is gone at #2 the pick for the CBJ is Murray; this CBJ HF board talk of Forsberg at #2 is folly.. That said, book it, Howson will take the 17 year old Forsberg who will be lucky to have an NHL impact by 2015 if then.

Closed Thread