HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think we would be well served drafting any of those 4 players. I'll let you figure out which player isn't in the 4.
I agree and no figuring necessary.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:01 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think we would be well served drafting any of those 4 players. I'll let you figure out which player isn't in the 4.
I need help.

Yak wears a blue sweater.
The guy we don't want has a work ethic issue.
Peter is not in the draft
Grigo's work ethic has been questioned

We don't want Grigo?

Old
05-11-2012, 12:20 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

It is funny but really, Murrays play on WC could help him to the number one in the draft and we can get Yakupov.

To Grigorenko. I wanted him because I didnt know about his character but after play-off... I dont know whether it is good idea to draft him and, if Montreal wont trade him IMO he can fall like Fowler in 2010 or Murphy in the last draft.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Perro

LA's pick

I'm sure this is listed somewhere else, but I couldn't see it.
Does everyone think that Columbus will take LA's pick this year or next. I am guessing that they will take next.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Ludicrous Speed

They'll either take it next year or trade it. Or, if a guy they like falls and they don't think he'll last to our second rounder, they might use it. So really, it's anyone's guess until two picks beforehand.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:56 PM
alphafox

I don't think there is anyway we take it this year. Right now the pick is 27-30 in a shallow draft. I could see us trading in in a package if we have a trade target we really want, but in all likely hood we keep it till next year. It is hard to get to the playoffs in the west every year, let alone the conference finals. Don't get me wrong I don't think LA is going to tank next year but look at all the breaks they have had Quick has played out of his mind all year, the team was healthy for most of the year particularly in the lead up to the playoffs.

(DISCLAIMER I AM NOT HOPING FOR INJURY FOR THE KINGS)

Imagine a kings team next year with quick going down? Richards? Do they make the playoffs? Who are they replacing Penner and Stoll with? Is the Kings team in the playoffs the new rule or an abboration? There are so many things that can wreck a season that waiting till 2013 makes the most sense, maybe it turns into a top 10 pick who knows.

Old
05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-ryan-murray/

Quote:
According to online bookmaker Bodog, the Edmonton Oilers are most likely to draft Russian forward Nail Yakupov (-200) with the first overall pick this summer. After Yakupov, Canadian defenseman Ryan Murray (+150) is the next likeliest option, with “trade the pick/any other player” the longshot at +600.

Those who like to bet on this sort of stuff might want to note what Oilers president Kevin Lowe told 630 CHED in Edmonton yesterday (via Eye on Hockey) about Murray, who’s currently playing for Team Canada at the world championships.

“He’s played remarkably well for a young fellow and I’ve talked to the other GMs and scouts that are here and they all agree that he’s going to play in the National Hockey League next year, no question,” Lowe said.

”There’s no surprise why Central Scouting has him rated second. He’s the top player. And often with the top players, or occasionally with the top players, they’re not ready to play in the National Hockey League, but I don’t question his readiness for next year.”

If there’s one area the Oilers need to upgrade, it’s the back end. Up front, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall should provide offense for years to come.

Edmonton has some good prospects in defensemen Jeff Petry, Oscar Klefbom, and David Musil. However, Murray could be too good to pass up, and if he can play in the NHL next season, even better.

If we had to bet, we’d sooner wager $100 (to win $150) on Murray than $100 (to win $50) on Yakupov.

Old
05-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Trying to make it more palatable for the Oilers' fans when they either draft Murray #1, or else make a minor trade with Columbus to fall back to #2 and draft Murray there.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:23 AM
georgiabluejacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Trying to make it more palatable for the Oilers' fans when they either draft Murray #1, or else make a minor trade with Columbus to fall back to #2 and draft Murray there.
By minor you mean we buy them a hot dog at the concession stand then sure, other wise take Murray at 1, or we will at 2.

Old
05-12-2012, 01:38 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
By minor you mean we buy them a hot dog at the concession stand then sure, other wise take Murray at 1, or we will at 2.
Agreed. Alice Cooper put it best:

Force their hand. Either way, we get a top shelf player ... there isn't anything in the top two picks that we don't need.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:06 AM
EspenK

I was just reading the article about Kevin Lowe suggesting Murray was the best player. And of course it had a bunch of comments attached to it and the concept of drafting the best player available came up again. In hockey that apparently is the rule.

I don't get it. Let's assume Yak is the "bpa" over Murray. But not by much.

The Oilers have Hall, RNH, Eberle & Gagner in their top 6. `They don't seem to be lacking for firepower. But their defense isn't so hot, although they do have some highly regarded prospects in the pipeline. None of the prospects are rated (or weren't during their draft years) as highly as Murray.

I say throw the bpa convention out the window and take Murray. Draft for need. Other than "that is the way it works in hockey", is there any other real good reason for the Oilers not to take Murray given that most, if not all, experts agree he is NHL ready?

Old
05-12-2012, 09:36 AM
CBJ Tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Assuming this part is true. I agree 100%.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:17 AM
PHIFLY28

ok so who do jacket fans want? i say either gally or grigs personnaly i think forsberg is a complementary piece not an elite number 1 center :
REBUILDING PLAN:
2012-GRIGORENKO/GALCHENYUK
2013-MACKINNON
2014-EKBLAD
2015-McDAVID
trade nash to rangers for kreider,MDZ,1ST 2013

McDavid-20121ST-MACKINNON
kREIDER-JOHANSEN-XXX

Defense:
JJ-EKBLAD
MDZ-METHOT
MOORE-XXX SIGN MICHAEL HOUSER AND DRAFT GOALIES THOUGHTS?

Old
05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIFLY28 View Post
ok so who do jacket fans want? i say either gally or grigs personnaly i think forsberg is a complementary piece not an elite number 1 center :
REBUILDING PLAN:
2013-MACKINNON
2014-EKBLAD
2015-McDAVID

kREIDER-JOHANSEN-XXX

Defense:
JJ-EKBLAD
MDZ-METHOT
So basically, we should tank for the 1st overall for the next 3 years? Sure everyone would love that. :

Just a sidenote, I'd rather have Seth Jones than Ekblad, but maybe that's just me.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
So basically, we should tank for the 1st overall for the next 3 years? Sure everyone would love that. :

Just a sidenote, I'd rather have Seth Jones than Ekblad, but maybe that's just me.

Especially whoever finished 29th because when the Jackets lost the lottery, well you know

Old
05-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiabluejacket View Post
I've been saying for a few weeks that, with Edmonton, I'd make a deal that would involve (at most) moving players in both directions who need a change of scenery. Then everyone saves face; Columbus gives up nothing to move up, and Edmonton loses nothing to fall back. No one's going to shed tears if Linus Omark is moved as part of a deal that involves flipping picks and five or six players.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I was just reading the article about Kevin Lowe suggesting Murray was the best player. And of course it had a bunch of comments attached to it and the concept of drafting the best player available came up again. In hockey that apparently is the rule.

The Oilers have Hall, RNH, Eberle & Gagner in their top 6. `They don't seem to be lacking for firepower. But their defense isn't so hot, although they do have some highly regarded prospects in the pipeline. None of the prospects are rated (or weren't during their draft years) as highly as Murray.

I say throw the bpa convention out the window and take Murray. Draft for need. Other than "that is the way it works in hockey", is there any other real good reason for the Oilers not to take Murray given that most, if not all, experts agree he is NHL ready?
The one thing that strikes me with Edmonton's forward corps....they are very small and appear to be injury prone. Hemsky, Hall, RNH and potentially Yakupov have all had injuries (I only added Hemsky due to his re-signing, not young forward....). They don't have much size up front that I recall. That could factor into the decision and change up either the draft order or their choice.

Personally, I don't want to move any assets to jump up to #1. I think you stick with #2 and see what Edmonton does. I don't think the CBJ are in a losing situation even at #2 and potentially no Yakupov.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:30 PM
gymrat

just to clear onething up what was said was ....He's a top player not he's the top player .Look up Bob Stauffer tweeter hhe's the one who did the interview with Lowe ....

Old
05-12-2012, 10:12 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
just to clear onething up what was said was ....He's a top player not he's the top player .Look up Bob Stauffer tweeter hhe's the one who did the interview with Lowe ....
Quote:
”There’s no surprise why Central Scouting has him rated second. He’s the top player. And often with the top players, or occasionally with the top players, they’re not ready to play in the National Hockey League, but I don’t question his readiness for next year.”
Sounds like Lowe thinks he is the Top player.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
With Yak out take the best defenseman, don't trade.. Good defenseman are hard to find and cheap if from the draft, I know scoring wins but with a team trying to start over defending the net comes first... The current NHL game is focused on defense by committee in front of the goalie, get a defenseman.

Last edited by Robert: 05-12-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 07:35 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
With Yak out take the best defenseman, don't trade.. Good defenseman are hard to find and cheap if from the draft, I know scoring wins but with a team trying to start over defending the net comes first... The current NHL game is focused on defense by committee in front of the goalie, get a defenseman.
Maybe its time to put in a "3 second" area to open up scoring. I go back and forth on the excitement factor of a 1-0, 2-1 game.

As I do on Murray vs Offense. Watching guys like Alzner, Girardi, McDonagh, Stahl, del Zotto, Carlson I can definitely see the value of adding a guy of their kind.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:37 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIFLY28 View Post
REBUILDING PLAN:
2013-MACKINNON
2014-EKBLAD
2015-McDAVID

kREIDER-JOHANSEN-XXX

Defense:
JJ-EKBLAD
MDZ-METHOT
dream wit us

rangers never trade kreider and del zotto, no for nash

Old
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I agree, and I like what I see and here of Murray. Some say he is ready for the NHL, and has tremendous up-side. Plus, as far as I am concerned, you can never have enough top shelf D men.

Take Murray, and land some offense with the Nash trade. Maybe a UFA or two.

Grab a good goalie somewhere, and become a stingy team. That will go a long way to making this team a contender. Build a wall that rarely hemorrhages goals. The offense will hopefully take care of itself with a few good moves, and some improved play from some of our current group.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I agree, and I like what I see and here of Murray. Some say he is ready for the NHL, and has tremendous up-side. Plus, as far as I am concerned, you can never have enough top shelf D men.

Take Murray, and land some offense with the Nash trade. Maybe a UFA or two.

Grab a good goalie somewhere, and become a stingy team. That will go a long way to making this team a contender. Build a wall that rarely hemorrhages goals. The offense will hopefully take care of itself with a few good moves, and some improved play from some of our current group.
There's a reason teams like LA, St. Louis, Phoenix, and Nashville were the four remaining teams in the West ... while teams built on offense first were watching from the stands.

I'm glad people are finally starting to take notice of what a defense first team can do. This is why I've wanted Ryan Murray, if we can't get Nail Yakupov.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:17 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
There's a reason teams like LA, St. Louis, Phoenix, and Nashville were the four remaining teams in the West ... while teams built on offense first were watching from the stands.

I'm glad people are finally starting to take notice of what a defense first team can do. This is why I've wanted Ryan Murray, if we can't get Nail Yakupov.
So Yak must be that much better in your mind to take him over the top D guy even though you seem to be advocating defense first?

Closed Thread