HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hip/Groin Pain

Old
05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
SydNap

vCash: 500
Hip/Groin Pain

The thread about mohawk turns made me realize I should post about hip/groin pain. I've been through an agonizing 6 months because I've been skating hard about and have been trying to loosen my hips to allow for more turnout. It's been so bad that I've suited up, skated 1 shift and then realized I couldn't even push off (hips have been that bad). I probably averaged half a goal/game over the winter session I play in. I started PT a few months ago with a great group, and if you're suffering from pain in the hip/groin and stretching doesn't seem to do it, I recommend you see someone that specializes in body symmetry/muscle balance and that knows about how the hip joint needs to be strengthened specifically for hockey. In addition, I started wearing these:

http://reviews.underarmour.com/2471/...ws/reviews.htm

and can't say enough about them. They cut any pain I'm having way down, and I haven't "tweaked" either my hips or groin while playing and wearing these (I now own 3 pairs and wear whenever I run, lift, or do dryland as well).

My last four games goal totals: 2,4,2,2 and the PT and coreshorts PRO have really been worth it. Hope this helps some other long-suffering wannabe out there. Good luck!

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Jive Time

I constantly fight hip and groin pain so lately I have been considering core shorts as an option. Last weekend I almost bought a pair but I decided to buy a groin strap instead to deal with a nagging pull.

My question is, does anyone else wear core shorts and do you wear them under your compression shorts (the ones with the cup and velcro)? If you do, how tight should these things be?

For what it's worth, the groin strap seemed to work really well. Instantly warms up the groin area and keeps it that way. The material is just like a wet suit.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 04:05 PM
SydNap

I have been wearing the core shorts under my regular Bauer compression jock, and it works fine. The U.A. core shorts tend to fit a little tight according to reviews. I am 5'11" and currently 210 with decent sized legs and rear and the XL fits me really well. I wear a 36" pant for reference. Good luck!

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I'm dealing with the hip thing which doesn't seem to be going away even though I'm cutting down on extra skating and doing hot showers righ before a game with extra stretching. I'm going to try these shorts.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Tuckerw68

Core shorts help I had 4 years of constant groin pulls and hip flexor pulls missing 3 months of hockey at a time and came back with core shorts and you can feel the increased support

Tuckerw68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:24 PM
qmechanic

Those of you who wear Coreshorts: do you wear them for games, practice, or both? I've been having groin pull problems lately and just ordered the Coreshorts Pro.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Tuckerw68

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
Those of you who wear Coreshorts: do you wear them for games, practice, or both? I've been having groin pull problems lately and just ordered the Coreshorts Pro.
Both

Tuckerw68 is offline   Reply With Quote