HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Brian Elliott

Old
05-06-2012, 07:38 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Brian Elliott

So, does anyone still want Elliott back? He is a great goalie, but he has a long way to go and the playoffs are clearly his weakness. Granted LA just exploited the entire St. Louis team.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Pilgore88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
So, does anyone still want Elliott back? He is a great goalie, but he has a long way to go and the playoffs are clearly his weakness. Granted LA just exploited the entire St. Louis team.
What? When was this discussed.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

lmao. No No No.

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
lmao. No No No.
elaborate why not.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Nope.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
sens2k9

lolwhatisthisidonteven

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
elaborate why not.
He would be very costly to get back at this point, which is not constructive for our rebuilding team. Plus, imo, he only did so well by viture of playing in Hitchcock's heavy "Defense first!!!!" style of team play.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
i didn't want him before the playoffs. Everyone knows hes actually a garbage goalie, he just benefits from Hitchcock.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
God Says No

why? we already got the 2nd best st.louis goalie from them.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Elliott is what we saw in his time here: a solid 1B goalie with sound positioning, good hockey IQ but severe confidence issues. Playing in a defensive system like St. Louis' was great for him, but once the defence is out of the picture, Ells is the last guy I want between the pipes. He has this attitude whereby he gives up one bad goal and then, instead of focusing on the game ahead of him, his mind gets caught on the last goal: what he could have done differently, where his pads should've been, why the puck got through him, etc. In the meantime, his full attention isn't on the game, causing him to give up another weak goal... it's a vicious cycle.

I like Elliott as a person. Awesome guy and one of the friendliest hockey players I've ever seen. Definitely wouldn't want him anywhere near a team as reliant on goaltending as ours, though. A heartfelt "Pass" on Mr. Elliott, but I wish him well.

05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
bdp

I wonder how the Blues would have fared against LA with Bishop in net instead of Elliott. Couldn't have been worse, that's for sure.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:02 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Seems like goalie who left ottawa. Streaky

c_mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Hells no.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
That ship has sailed, my friend.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

We have three capable goalies. I doubt he would want to come back and fight for a position all year.

GK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Elliott is what we saw in his time here: a solid 1B goalie with sound positioning, good hockey IQ but severe confidence issues. Playing in a defensive system like St. Louis' was great for him, but once the defence is out of the picture, Ells is the last guy I want between the pipes. He has this attitude whereby he gives up one bad goal and then, instead of focusing on the game ahead of him, his mind gets caught on the last goal: what he could have done differently, where his pads should've been, why the puck got through him, etc. In the meantime, his full attention isn't on the game, causing him to give up another weak goal... it's a vicious cycle.

I like Elliott as a person. Awesome guy and one of the friendliest hockey players I've ever seen. Definitely wouldn't want him anywhere near a team as reliant on goaltending as ours, though. A heartfelt "Pass" on Mr. Elliott, but I wish him well.
Well said. Really like the guy, but he is only a decent NHL goalie and not a good fit for a young team prone to giveaways, odd man rushes, and who needs a guy back there who gives you the confidence that you can take a chance now and again and play your game. Haven't missed him at all since the trade, we have a goalie who is a great fit, and have two guys in the system who look really good as prospects.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:27 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Even with his great season, put him on any team not named the Blues and he would get lit up.

His numbers reflect his team, not him.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Dare i say more?

We want Lord Stanleys cup. If he isn't capable in the playoffs then we do not want him...

/endthread

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:46 PM
PCooper

I don't think he's a better goaltender than Anderson and I don't think he's a better prospect than Bishop or Lehner, so for those reasons and the rest listed in this thread, no.

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 08:55 PM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Dare i say more?

We want Lord Stanleys cup. If he isn't capable in the playoffs then we do not want him...

/endthread
I think the OP is a little off on that, Elliot's didn't do that bad, the Kings look unbeatable now after limping into the playoffs whereas Elliot and Halak have been steller in the regular season. Elliot will get better but I wouldn't want him back, he does better with a team that plays like the game like the Blues.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:

Yup. He would have a great run in Ottawa, get pronounced as the #1 and it ate away at his game. He only played 38 games as 1B, which was perfect. I really had hoped that the experience would have grown his confidence enough, but the same pattern has emerged. Great guy, wish him better luck. Outstanding as a back up goalie where there is a clear #1.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:18 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
This got a lot more posts than I was expecting... I just remember all the talk about Elliott having an insane season. While he was great in the first series for St.Louis, he and the Blues were clearly picked apart by Sutter and the Kings.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:
This got a lot more posts than I was expecting... I just remember all the talk about Elliott having an insane season. While he was great in the first series for St.Louis, he and the Blues were clearly picked apart by Sutter and the Kings.
Lots of us like Elliott and are rooting for him, but were not ready to believe in the turn around until he was in a position where he was the clear #1. In Ottawa it wasn't really about his skill, it was his mental ability to take being #1.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:23 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

No.. no.. and no!

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:

lalime-sydrome!

I feel bad for Elliott, he just couldn't play enough games to be a full time goalie. With that said, glad he's rebounded in STL.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote