HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andy Greene's Contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2012, 10:05 PM
  #1
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 500
Andy Greene's Contract

I will admit that when Lou gave him that type of money at the tail end of his contract, I was skeptical. He proved me wrong, especially during this series. $3.75 million next year and the year after is more than acceptable if he continues to play like this.

Tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:13 PM
  #2
Mgd31
Registered User
 
Mgd31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
Yea I hated the contract when he resigned, but he's having a great playoffs. Proving me wrong and thank God.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:18 PM
  #3
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: Poland
Posts: 25,654
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Yea I hated the contract when he resigned, but he's having a great playoffs. Proving me wrong and thank God.
I really wish he was our #2 PPQB

I dont understand why he hasnt gotten the chance. Sure he doesnt Shot much, but he is a good Offensive Dman when he has to be

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
  #4
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,168
vCash: 500
Ehhh.....

Andy Greene's play in the playoffs so far is worth the contract.
Andy Greene's play in the regular season 82 games was not worth the contract.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:19 PM
  #5
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Ehhh.....

Andy Greene's play in the playoffs so far is worth the contract.
Andy Greene's play in the regular season 82 games was not worth the contract.
What?! He was great in the regular season too.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:24 PM
  #6
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I really wish he was our #2 PPQB

I dont understand why he hasnt gotten the chance. Sure he doesnt Shot much, but he is a good Offensive Dman when he has to be
Greene is a strange bird. He will show rare flashes of physicality (I think he took Ovi out with a big hit in that 5-0 game?) and offensive prowess (remember that snipe against Pittsburgh?). And then you wonder why he can't perform like that on a regular basis. He just seems programmed to his role which is low key.

Tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:25 PM
  #7
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
What?! He was great in the regular season too.
We're talking about contract.

He was injured for like 1/3 of the year, and he only scored 1 goal in like 50 or 60 games (whatever he played), which sucks when you're supposed to be the offensively contributing defenseman. He cant get a shot on goal to save his life, and often has his shots from the point blocked and coming back at him at a velocity faster than they left his stick.

He's never going to be a hard-nosed, stay-at-home defensemen who punishes guys who get near the crease with physical play, that's not his game. What Andy Greene is is "decent" and dependable. A smart player, with few mistakes. Very little upside, but he's not going to hurt you. But steady, decent and dependable doesnt necessarily warrant $3M per year. There are boatloads of Andy Greene's making $1M to $2M in the NHL right now.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
  #8
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,893
vCash: 500
Hopefully upping that trade value down the road.

He's an average dman with good skating. His shot is blocked more than not and the rest is covered the post above me.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:44 PM
  #9
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
We're talking about contract.

He was injured for like 1/3 of the year, and he only scored 1 goal in like 50 or 60 games (whatever he played), which sucks when you're supposed to be the offensively contributing defenseman. He cant get a shot on goal to save his life, and often has his shots from the point blocked and coming back at him at a velocity faster than they left his stick.

He's never going to be a hard-nosed, stay-at-home defensemen who punishes guys who get near the crease with physical play, that's not his game. What Andy Greene is is "decent" and dependable. A smart player, with few mistakes. Very little upside, but he's not going to hurt you. But steady, decent and dependable doesnt necessarily warrant $3M per year. There are boatloads of Andy Greene's making $1M to $2M in the NHL right now.
I don't look at Greene as an offensively D-man anymore. In 2010, he was a PMD by default. We had Mike Mottau and who else? White, Salvador, Paul Martin on IR, and Martin Skoula.

With Larsson, Fayne, Zidlicky, and even Tallinder, Greene can be more of a shutdown guy. But he is also mobile and can play the PMD role if there's an injury or the pairings need a shake up. And he's pretty good in his role.

Can't complain about the contract.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:45 PM
  #10
Bleedred
Foligno sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: shouldafiredfoligno
Country: United States
Posts: 38,313
vCash: 500
Remember when it was being talked about he would be a deadline day trade last season?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:50 PM
  #11
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't look at Greene as an offensively D-man anymore. In 2010, he was a PMD by default. We had Mike Mottau and who else? White, Salvador, Paul Martin on IR, and Martin Skoula.

With Larsson, Fayne, Zidlicky, and even Tallinder, Greene can be more of a shutdown guy. But he is also mobile and can play the PMD role if there's an injury or the pairings need a shake up. And he's pretty good in his role.

Can't complain about the contract.
Do you think Fayne will follow Greene's career path or more upside?

Tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:53 PM
  #12
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Andy Greene blocks shots at a similar rate to Volchenkov while providing much more mobility at a cheaper cap hit.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 10:56 PM
  #13
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Andy Greene blocks shots at a similar rate to Volchenkov while providing much more mobility at a cheaper cap hit.
That is true, I forgot to mention that. Shot blocking is valuable in the neu nhl

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:01 PM
  #14
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Do you think Fayne will follow Greene's career path or more upside?
I think Fayne has a ton more upside.

Fayne became a core defensive player at 23. I don't think Greene really broke out until he was 27 or so.

Fayne is more mobile, has a better shot that finds the net more often and is very deflectable. Greene's defense is definitely better, but Fayne isn't a slouch in that regard either.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:13 PM
  #15
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
Andy Greene is a 2 way defensemen. He's mobile, possesses good offensive skills, and can handle physicality.

Mark Fayne is basically a bigger and stronger version of Andy Greene.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
  #16
devilsblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 500
Greenie is ok, and has been playing well, but people were killing our d corps about a week ago.

His contract? It's ok, but would prob look better if there was true #1 ahead of him.

I think Fayne has a way higher upside. Not too far behind him right now.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 03:07 AM
  #17
MountainGoat
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
he's better than Paul Martin and cheaper
Andy Greene - 3 million a year
Paul Martin - 5 million a year

  Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:12 AM
  #18
HeliDevil
Legend
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I think Fayne has a ton more upside.

Fayne became a core defensive player at 23. I don't think Greene really broke out until he was 27 or so.

Fayne is more mobile, has a better shot that finds the net more often and is very deflectable. Greene's defense is definitely better, but Fayne isn't a slouch in that regard either.
imo greene is wayyyy more mobile than fayne. i personally doubt fayne develops into as much of a two way player that greene has either. i've always liked greene for some reason. he seems to always be overlooked. i can't imagine this defense had he not re-signed here.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:16 AM
  #19
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!
 
Rob Nieds work ethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,724
vCash: 500
Fayne's playing style reminds me of Seabrook.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:45 AM
  #20
Hollywood163
Registered User
 
Hollywood163's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,255
vCash: 500
I don't know if Greene just didn't see eye to eye with Sutter of if JL changed his game, But I've been mostly happy with Greene since the 09-10 season.

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 06:48 AM
  #21
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
So glad he proved me wrong.

I`m perfectly fine with his contract as it is, he just needs to stay healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
Fayne's playing style reminds me of Seabrook.
Something between Seabrook and McDonagh.

If we can improve our defense and have Greene-Fayne as our mobile shutdown 3rd pair, oh my.

It`s a very likely scenario if Merrill+ pan out.


Last edited by Getzo5: 05-06-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:23 AM
  #22
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Ehhh.....

Andy Greene's play in the playoffs so far is worth the contract.
Andy Greene's play in the regular season 82 games was not worth the contract.
And I am 100% OK with that. If the other guys can carry him into the playoffs, there is nothing wrong with having a guy that can actually bring it when he gets there, even if he might under-perform in the regular season. Now if his play is so bad that it causes them to miss the playoffs, that's obviously another story.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:30 AM
  #23
Flame Demers*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I will admit that when Lou gave him that type of money at the tail end of his contract, I was skeptical. He proved me wrong, especially during this series. $3.75 million next year and the year after is more than acceptable if he continues to play like this.
seeing the way he has stepped up through 1.5 rounds of the playoffs. he has that edge and strength on the boards and will jump up on play if he has to.

I like it.

Flame Demers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 09:45 AM
  #24
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 23,467
vCash: 500
<< This guy was one of the only ones happy with the signing when it took place.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
  #25
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 49,855
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
<< This guy was one of the only ones happy with the signing when it took place.
I liked it too - but I also expected a bit more out of him in the reg season. Don't mind too much really given he's stepping up when it matters most. Could be worse, coulda given him $5 mil for Paul Martin's turd of a year lol.

__________________

"Chewie... we're home."
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.