HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if New Jersey won the cup

Old
05-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Rangers1985

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Devs played the rangers to a 3-3 record during the regular season. More than held their own and controlled puck possession in most of those games. Lundqvist is the one guy standing in our way if it's the Rangers in the ECF. He can send the devils home singlhandedly.

Biron played in one of the losses.

Rangers1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Holtby isn't that superior to Brodeur. And besides Alzner and Carlsson, the Caps defense is trash. I cringe when I see Hamrlik and Wideman out there.

The Capitals system is just as frustrating as the Rangers though.

They wear you out, and Holtby has played very well.

The Capitals wouldve beaten the Flyers quite handily if they met up.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Holtby isn't that superior to Brodeur. And besides Alzner and Carlsson, the Caps defense is trash. I cringe when I see Hamrlik and Wideman out there.
Holtby is on Lundqvist/Quick level this past month. There are some great goalies currently playing in the playoffs right now and Bryz and Marty are the two worst left imo. Hank, Quick, Holtby, Rinne, Smith, Marty, Bryz IMO.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Everyone matches up well against us according to these boards and somehow we're still here.
Interesting that the heavily-favored #1 seed needs to justify how it's still there...struggling against the 8 and 7 seeds is a sure sign they're one of the best teams left.

Devils look good now but didn't look so good vs. a very mediocre Florida team. The Flyers have been overhyped all season. They looked great vs. the Penguins but the Penguins were awful in every respect.

The only team that looks like world beaters right now is LA.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I don't see it, mainly because I don't think the remaining teams will have nearly as much trouble with the forecheck as Philly.
And not only does that forecheck generate goals but it also help a great deal with keeping puck out of their net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
The Flyers have been overhyped all season.
By whom? And when?
The Flyers only got hyped after the series against Pittsburgh, and even then a lot of people were pointing out their obvious flaws.
Aside from that all I heard all season long was how the Flyers weren't gonna make it far because of Bryzgalov. Turns out the defense would be the real culprit.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Interesting that the heavily-favored #1 seed needs to justify how it's still there...struggling against the 8 and 7 seeds is a sure sign they're one of the best teams left.
If you thought the Rangers would dominate anybody, even the low seeds, you haven't watched the Rangers.

And if you thought they were heavily favored against anyone, you're not paying attention to the boards.

All year we've been an ugly, bottom-line team that hasn't impressed anyone. Why would that change, now 93 games in?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
dogyekcoh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I think PHX is the most underrated, but yes I think they have a solid shot at making the finals. Still think the Kings are the team to beat currently. We often talk about solid defense + goaltending vs. potent offense when comparing various contenders, but I think LA is the only team with potent offense, defense, and goaltending. Rangers have D + tending, Flyers are all offense, Caps are D and streaky offense with some solid but non-veteran tending, PHX is D and tending but weak offense, etc.

I would say of the teams left:

1) Kings
2) NJ
3) NYR
4) PHX
5) PHI / NSH / WSH
As a Kings fan. Here is what I see.
1) Rangers
2) Devils
3) Coyotes
4) Caps
5) Preds
6) Kings
7) Flyers

dogyekcoh* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I don't see it, mainly because I don't think the remaining teams will have nearly as much trouble with the forecheck as Philly.
And not only does that forecheck generate goals but it also help a great deal with keeping puck out of their net.
Rangers had alot of trouble with the forecheck earlier this year. Besides Del Z and Staal on occasion, I wouldn't say the rangers have amazing puck movers back there. They are limited when under pressure. And the caps defense after Alzner and Carlson is Matt Carle like. But with that said, Lundqvist and Holtby the way they're playing would erase alot of mistakes.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Holtby is on Lundqvist/Quick level this past month. There are some great goalies currently playing in the playoffs right now and Bryz and Marty are the two worst left imo. Hank, Quick, Holtby, Rinne, Smith, Marty, Bryz IMO.
Stop, just stop

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogyekcoh View Post
As a Kings fan. Here is what I see.
1) Rangers
2) Devils
3) Coyotes
4) Caps
5) Preds
6) Kings
7) Flyers
Reverse jinx

Old
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Rangers1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Stop, just stop

Have you even watched the Rangers-Capials series?

Quicks played great, but he isnt the sole reason the Kings are where they are. That credit goes to Brown and the offense scoring 3 G/G.

Lundqvist and Holtby are the reasons why their teams are where they are.

Quick's workload has yet to match theirs, especially Lundqvist's.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
aemoreira1981

Not sure that I can agree, although it could make the Devils' decision on goaltending more difficult if the Devils do win it all and Brodeur decides to retire on top.

That said, I see the Western Conference champion, especially if it's the Kings, as the favorites, especially if the Devils have to play the Rangers in what is already a fierce cross-Hudson River rivalry, where neither team will escape unscathed. Then again, a Devils-Rangers matchup will save on travel costs as they can take buses to and from games (not even needing to take a train).

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:56 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
hahahahahaah with those goalies??? had to be joking
What? Marty is still capable of dominating.

Quote:
insane defensive system, quick d balanced d, offense can show up at any instance with backstrom, semin and ovi. mike green is coming into his own this series after taking a while to recover from a concussion. The caps are arguably the best team left in the playoffs imo.
Hmm. You just described the Devils to a T. Just replace the Caps names with Elias, Kovalchuk, and Parise. Zidlicky is the closest we have to Mike Green. But we still have guys like Andy Greene and Mark Fayne who are solid 2 way d-men who are good both offensively and defensively.

Quote:
This isn't saying much. Somebody has to be the worst. BTW, I have Rinne above Holtby, but that's irrelevant. Marty is still very capable of stealing games much like Roloson last year.

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:58 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Can we all agree that this has to be the most wide open the playoffs have been since the lockout? Is there any team you CAN'T make a case for?

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Can we all agree that this has to be the most wide open the playoffs have been since the lockout? Is there any team you CAN'T make a case for?
Pittsburgh!!

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Not sure that I can agree, although it could make the Devils' decision on goaltending more difficult if the Devils do win it all and Brodeur decides to retire on top.

That said, I see the Western Conference champion, especially if it's the Kings, as the favorites, especially if the Devils have to play the Rangers in what is already a fierce cross-Hudson River rivalry, where neither team will escape unscathed. Then again, a Devils-Rangers matchup will save on travel costs as they can take buses to and from games (not even needing to take a train).
Kings actually have d-men who can nullify our forecheck. And that goes for Phoenix and Nashville as well.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

If they win one more game, they've got a 1/4 shot.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:15 PM
NYVanfan

nothing surprises me anymore in these playoffs
this is real parity ... most ever, perhaps

i went to 2 Devils games this year -- saw them lose in a snoozer to the Habs, then get spanked by Pitt late in the year. Both times (plus many of the games i saw on tv ...and owning Marty & Zach in my fantasy league) made me certain this was a team going nowhere this year.

Whole different universe now though ...Zidlicky looking like a great add, Henrique looking like a Calder fav, Parise back to 90-pt form, Kovy looking decidedly non-bumlike and Marty turning back the clock a decade or so.... good to see

Watch it be a Phx-NJ cup, a matchup not one person in the world would've predicted.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Tundra

Devils likely to get back Josefson next round. So their lines will look something like this.

Parise-Elias-Clarkson
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Ponikarovsky
Zubrus-Henrique-Sykora
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Size, skill, defensive awareness.... That's an underrated group of foot soldiers to go along with the stars. BTW Zubrus, Poni, Bernier and Kovy are all close to 230 pounds or above, outweighing most defensemen in the league.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:18 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1985 View Post
Have you even watched the Rangers-Capials series?

Quicks played great, but he isnt the sole reason the Kings are where they are. That credit goes to Brown and the offense scoring 3 G/G.

Lundqvist and Holtby are the reasons why their teams are where they are.

Quick's workload has yet to match theirs, especially Lundqvist's.
Uhhh, switching the teams, isn't this the same argument as to why Quick should win the Vezina and not Lundqvist (less goal support and more workload)?

Oh, and the workload thing isn't true either:

Lundqvist: 332 shots against in 11 games= 30.18 shots per game
Quick: 274 shots against in 9 games= 30.44 shots per game

Old
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Tons of hockey still to play, and I'm even a fan of a team (Washington) that is still playing hockey, but even I think a Kings-Devils series right now would be something to see.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

While NJ are underrated, they're not nearly as underrated as Phoenix. I hope they face each other in the finals.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Gotta say that the Devils do have the look of the hot playoff team. Ferocious forecheck and commanding their will on the puck.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
I agree...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
They basically have a 1 in 4 chance at this point, I don't think anyone else on this site would be surprised either.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote