HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 02:26 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Hire Dale Hunter !

Old
05-16-2012, 06:10 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The problem isn't with Carbo's coaching record, it's the "how".

Carbo's team were invariably godawful at 5-on-5, largely because his transition scheme was weak, and he systematically overplayed grinders and underplayed good 5-on-5 scorers (like Tanguay). His record as a coach was built entirely on the back of goaltending and an unsustainably good PP.

I accept that his PP work has been great, but there are fewer and fewer calls in the league today. A PP counts for much less than they once did.

In the long term, Carbo cannot be successful as a head coach unless his 5-on-5 work takes a 180. And that starts by ditching the notion that you can win games with 20 Tom Kostopouloses.
How did Carbonneau play? Keane,McPhee,Skrudland...etc? I believe part of his "problem" was that he couldn't understand players not prepared to give 100%.
Would you put Rene Bourque on the ice with 30 seconds to go,down a goal? I wouldn't. Roy probably thinks the way Carbo does about this. The GM better give these kind of coaches the right players,if not there will be problems. Prima Donna's won't be indulged. That is the attitude difference with Martin vs Carbo. My 2 pennies.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Hire Dale Hunter !
If we hire Hunter we would need to sign and bring back Hal Gill to block hundreds of shots per game. Price is going to be one tired goalie

Old
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
How did Carbonneau play? Keane,McPhee,Skrudland...etc? I believe part of his "problem" was that he couldn't understand players not prepared to give 100%.
Would you put Rene Bourque on the ice with 30 seconds to go,down a goal? I wouldn't. Roy probably thinks the way Carbo does about this. The GM better give these kind of coaches the right players,if not there will be problems. Prima Donna's won't be indulged. That is the attitude difference with Martin vs Carbo. My 2 pennies.
I tend to think this as well. To me, it seemed that Carbo couldn’t understand how a player wouldn’t give it his all everytime he was on the ice, because that is how he played in his career. A grinder like Kostopolis was always given more ice time than his play warranted, cause he was always going all out when on the ice.

In actuality, I wonder if part of that’s seasons “challenges” was most of the teams leadership (Koivu, Carbo, Gainey) played the game that way, while a fair amount of the players, and the other member of the teams leadership (Kovalev) didn’t.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
The reality is that Carbo didn't have the experience and character to coach a NHL team, he should of stayed as an assistant because one of his strong points is that players genuinely liked him he just didn't have the right strategy.
Yet he had a winning record when numbnuts decided to take over. Gainey then proceeded to take the team backwards from there...

Old
05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Gagnon said on TSN990 this morning that the Habs will announce who HC is by the end of this week or early next week.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Gagnon said on TSN990 this morning that the Habs will announce who HC is by the end of this week or early next week.
Nice so Bergevin isn't wasting time and wants the team in place for the draft. I'm liking this new direction, such a change from the Bob regime for almost the last 10 years

Old
05-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Top Corner2

My hope is it is someone unexpected that nobody has been talking about.

or Jacques Martin

Old
05-16-2012, 09:34 AM
The Doors

I think Bergevin will go off the board. Maybe a fellow Montrealer who he had as a teammate throughout his playing career. I'm expecting a young coach in the Bylsma age range.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

My guess is Michel Therrien. He's less often on RDS since the processus to find our new HC is started.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
MathMan

Quote:
That's not even it.

It's that he doesn't understand what giving 100% is for a cerebral scorer. He expects everyone to be go-go-go, dump and chase, smack the guy who had the puck three seconds ago, skate-skate-skate.

Scorers don't play that way, not because they're lazy, but because it would not be effective for them to play that way. Understanding a guy like Alex Tanguay, a cerebral player who drives the play forward by deft passes and positioning, was completely beyond him. Even when the guy was the Habs' best 5-on-5 forward and top scorer by traditional stats, Carbo still wouldn't play him more than Kostopoulos even though Tanguay was clearly the more effective player by any kind of useful measure.

Quote:
Would you put Rene Bourque on the ice with 30 seconds to go,down a goal? I wouldn't.
I wouldn't either, because Rene Bourque is just not very good. That's just the way it is and it's not really about work ethic. Montreal shouldn't have traded for him.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
My hope is it is someone unexpected that nobody has been talking about.

or Jacques Martin
Same here. The other candidates bandied about have no credibility with me or are employed by other organizations that are unlikely to let them go.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
My guess is Michel Therrien. He's less often on RDS since the processus to find our new HC is started.
Honestly.. I would be OK with Therrien.

Will be nice to have a coach with passion behind the bench.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Honestly.. I would be OK with Therrien.

No problem with a renewed Therrien as head coach.

Carbo, his very good buddy will be one of his assistants.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
MathMan

Quote:
I really don't understand how "passion behind the bench" provides much of anything other than entertainment value. A guy with a solid transition scheme and a puck possession system will actually help the team. A guy who's animated and yells at players and refs may look like he's doing something in-game, which I guess would be reassuring for fans, but at the same time that's a far cry than doing something useful.

It strikes me as not unlike overvaluing grinders' work ethic because their playstyle requires them to always be moving, even though the real reason they do that because they don't have the ability to play a different, more valuable role.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Le Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
No, he said based on what we saw with the process of hiring Marc Bergevin (knowing the candidates one day and finding out Bergevin was the succesful candidate just two says later), the new head coach COULD be known by the end of this week or early next week.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:32 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I really don't understand how "passion behind the bench" provides much of anything other than entertainment value. A guy with a solid transition scheme and a puck possession system will actually help the team. A guy who's animated and yells at players and refs may look like he's doing something in-game, which I guess would be reassuring for fans, but at the same time that's a far cry than doing something useful.

It strikes me as not unlike overvaluing grinders' work ethic because their playstyle requires them to always be moving, even though the real reason they do that because they don't have the ability to play a different, more valuable role.
Let's not generalize too much..

Therrien is a passionate coach, is he not?

Old
05-16-2012, 10:38 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Let's not generalize too much..

Therrien is a passionate coach, is he not?
If you're not a passionate coach, get out of the kitchen ! Habs, in the last few years, have lacked passion tremendously.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Et le But

I know Martin was too much of an extreme, but I don't know why fans are obsessed with coaches who shout a lot. It's nice having a coach that the players feel attached to and who can possibly intimidate refs, but we need someone who is a competent tactician too.

Professional adult hockey players shouldn't need a screaming old man to fire them up.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If you're not a passionate coach, get out of the kitchen ! Habs, in the last few years, have lacked passion tremendously.
Yes, sir.

Gordon Ramsay style.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I know Martin was too much of an extreme, but I don't know why fans are obsessed with coaches who shout a lot. It's nice having a coach that the players feel attached to and who can possibly intimidate refs, but we need someone who is a competent tactician too.

Professional adult hockey players shouldn't need a screaming old man to fire them up.
This isn't just about yelling at players.. lol.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes, sir.

Gordon Ramsay style.
that doesn't always work though. Some people don't respond well to being yelled at like that.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

you guys think martin would accept an assistant coach position?
He's a really smart coach, could not stand his HC decisions or style of play, but man as much as i hated the man i have to admit our team defence was superb with him.
I wouldnt hire him as the defence coach but just as another asst coach.

HC, carbo. D coach (robinson if his agent is right and robinson is just lying to take pressure away), Martin

Last edited by Kingbobert: 05-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

I get the strange feeling that if Crawford or Hartley were former Habs goalies that won cups.. everyone on here would want them to be the front runner.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
that doesn't always work though. Some people don't respond well to being yelled at like that.

Closed Thread