HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Ross MacLochness

vCash: 500
Therrien and Carbonneau should not be granted an interview.

If Bergevin wants to continue with the conservative, sit-back style of hockey that we have seen for the last 15 years, of which Therrien and Carbonneau were a huge part of (don't let 07-08's PP domination fool you) then at least go and hire a guy who knows how to coach hockey: Jacques Martin.

Therrien and Carbonneau are a joke. I'll be particularly irate if Carbo is re-hired. Don't feel like going on a rant of how terrible I think that guy was, but the simple fact is this: If we are going to pick from our recent past, Therrien and Carbo can't hold a candle to Martin. JM isn't my cup of tea, and the media will make fun of his demeanor, but he is CLEARLY better than those two bums.

So really it should come down to Hartley, Roy, Groulx, or Martin if we are going to bilingual route. Can Crawford speak it I have no idea. But nobody other than those 4 should be in contention.

Roy would be my choice because of the extreme philosphy shift he would bring but only if Larry Robinson is standing next to him.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
GordonGraham

l like the 5 guys in the poll they cant go wrong with any of them

Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
l like the 5 guys in the poll they cant go wrong with any of them
Really, really not sure if serious.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In Montreal. And it's not like he was doing great things with his roster in his last year in pittsburgh. That being said, out of the remaining 4, I take Therrien. I've seen Crawford, Hartley+Carbo say some pretty headshake worthy things on TV, the latter two especially.
Therrien has a 77-77 record coaching the habs.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Uh.. Stanley cup, here we come?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
peate
Good grief!

A Roy, Carbo and Robinson combo would be pretty good but we'll have to wait until the Devils are either eliminated or their parade is over.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

In this order:
Roy

Therrien/Hartley

Crawford

Carbonneau

Old
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM
BobbyFischer*

Does Bergevin have the balls to hire Patrick Roy as habs coach?

I'm not quite sure...

Old
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

I'm not quite sure...
It takes 'balls' to run into the middle of traffic. What are you getting at?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:17 AM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:

I'm not quite sure...
Does he have the brains NOT to? That's my question.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Marchy79

I chose Patrick Roy.

The guy has a few intangibles that anti-Roy supporters overlook, which are good things to have in my books.

+ Desire to succeed. (Nobody infringes on Roy's desire to win. He's very much like Charlie Sheen that way (in the Winning. Nothing Else. <- the title of his autobiography))
+ Underrated leadership abilities. Believe it or not, for as much of a hot head he has a reputation as being... He is also a gravitating force in the room. In fact, he has always been that way. Management may of had a problem with him... I dont hear players doing the same, and espescially those who are professionals, and he helped make them Champions.
A few amazing stories of this, is Craig Billington. A very nomadic career, before finding a home as his back up. He was riding the minor league busses from time to time, signed the deal, and was nervous upon meeting the man... What he found was a man who was intensely focused on the game, his team and improving outcomes. NOT this arrogant snide guy that people perceive.
Craig said Patrick LOVED talking about the game, and even helped Craig develop in to one heck of a backup goalie, and stretched his career some.
+That being said, he's the type of guy, with hockey in the blood (probably like so many of us). He eats sleeps dreams about the game. Giving tips to those who need it, and giving wake up calls to those who need that.
+ He is very much like Messier, in that he DEMANDS that players commit 110% to the game. Shrinking violets simply dont fare well on his clubs. What's better, is because he gravitates the room, players DO respond to him.

+ People ask what makes him a great coach... It's his consistency. He isnt part to really bad clubs in Quebec, and YES he can get the players to ensure that doesnt happen, however it has to be mentioned his team is clearly building a dominant regime in the QMJHL...
+ Furthermore, he HAS won the BIG Jr. Prize, as the hometeam non-champion club to boot. <-- That simply does not happen very often.

+ 4 Stanley Cups as a player cannot be dismissed...

+ Praise from Demers from the last Habs championships, the Sakic quote about the Panthers, and their Rats in the 1st Colorado Championship... Bourque, and giving his friend the proper NHL send off (with a Ring, not like Brad Park). The first one, and the intense youth he showed...

+ The history of being St. Patrick of the Habs...

Roy, Robinson, and another...

That's what I hope for...

Bergevin probably would know that Roy is more of a team guy than he is credited as being (at least around here at times)

Old
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It takes 'balls' to run into the middle of traffic. What are you getting at?
My point is if Roy does bad, it looks terrible on Bergevin.

If he gets an experienced coach.. he still looks bad but not AS bad, somehow.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double XX L View Post
I chose Patrick Roy.
I'm not seeing anything in your post that would qualify him for the job as a NHL head coach.

I'm seeing that he's able to use economic advantadge to build highly talented teams, that he's got "desire to succeed" and "hockey in the blood", and "demands 110%". Here's the thing: none of the above is a core competency for the job. His credentials as a player or his place in the history of the Habs are likewise completely irrelevant.

And this is my problem with every endorsement of Roy as a coach: it seems he is being suggested for reasons that have practically nothing to do with the job he's going to be asked to do. He's being suggested for the team's image, not for his coaching.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Yup...and in his one winning season he rode on the back of a rare Hart Trophy winning goalie despite us giving up 45 shots/night. He also cost us a great chance at an East Conference appearance with his stupid series changing penalty for losing his composure.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Yup...and in his one winning season he rode on the back of a rare Hart Trophy winning goalie despite us giving up 45 shots/night. He also cost us a great chance at an East Conference appearance with his stupid series changing penalty for losing his composure.
Dude, please...

The Brind'amour-Battaglia-Cole line was too beaucoup for les Habitents

Old
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Here are two thoughts, though the Quebec media may not like it

A) If there are better candidates for the coaching position who are english and/or not fluently bilingual, then why not hire a suitable bilingual assistant coach (ala Carbonneau) who can be the francophone voice for the media

B) If there are better candidates for the coaching position who are english and/or not fluently bilingual, hire a freakin translator until he learns enough to do the job.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Hartley has slammed Price repeatedly on television and he's considered a serious candidate to become our head coach? Lord help us!
On TV, you give your opinion on players based on what you see and know. As a coach, you have to work with the players you have and understand that they are responsible if you want to keep your job. Do we know if Hartley loved some of our players though? No reports about how he loves Pacioretty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Lol Therrien. Couldn't win with a stacked team. No free agent would want to come play for that ass. Heck, he cost the Habs a series with his yapping. No thanks.
That's pretty much not analysing the rest of what went on if you are reducing our loss to his yapping. Though, it's more about you not liking the guy that really analysing his job, which in the end is fine with me. We are not robots, contrary to some people around here, I have no problem with people being biased, that's just normal. And Therrien did take a team that finished dead last in his division to make it a pretty good team after all. Yes, he was not alone doing that, there something called players that helped a whole lot. But then, if you are able to say that he ALONE was responsible for not making Pittsburgh a cup team, I guess we could also say that he ALONE took the team from Olczyk and made it a pretty good one as well. And I have a hard time bashing a guy who lost in the finals against the Red Wings. As far as I'm concerned, the Wings were more stacked than Pittsburgh. Add to the fact that coaches can evolve and change (see: Hitchcock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I agree with you WS except I don't give a damn what the 'people' want, French or English. Stop chewing that bone, you are too smart for that, and you have other better arguments.
What I think is irrelevant. This team doesn't play for me, you or any other individual but for an anonymous mass that already talked and said that they want one of their own to coach that team. And again, they are not wrong based on the fact that there are no other slam dunk coach in waiting. There are none. You saw the coaches that people talk for Calgary or Edmonton? Some of you really think that we should go with Sutter? Point is, we won't have the ideal coach. But guess what? We don't have the ideal coach NOW, who freakin knows how it will turn out in the winter? Do people really believed Hitchcock would have done such a great job? Would people thought that the LA Sutter would really do THAT great? I wonder where those people were when LA almost didn't make the playoffs..... and so on....

Old
05-18-2012, 12:31 PM
SaskRinkRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not seeing anything in your post that would qualify him for the job as a NHL head coach.

I'm seeing that he's able to use economic advantadge to build highly talented teams, that he's got "desire to succeed" and "hockey in the blood", and "demands 110%". Here's the thing: none of the above is a core competency for the job. His credentials as a player or his place in the history of the Habs are likewise completely irrelevant.

And this is my problem with every endorsement of Roy as a coach: it seems he is being suggested for reasons that have practically nothing to do with the job he's going to be asked to do. He's being suggested for the team's image, not for his coaching.
Agree with this.

Also, people keep highlighting Roy's "desire to win" and his "passion" and his "demand for 110%" as if every single other coach in the world doesn't have those qualities. How many NHL coaches - or coaches anywhere, really - do you think there are that could take or leave winning?

Every coach at the professional level wants to win, and none of them will accept less than 110%.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
nikhilmtl

I thought the Canadiens organization was all about class. If so, why would you hire a loose cannon like Roy? He's seriously an idiot. There are better candidates for the job.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:48 PM
EveryDay

Why everyone hates Carbonneau....

look at the 2007-2008 season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

He's not my top candidate but stop acting like he suck.

Roy
Hartley/Carbonneau
Therrien
Groulx
Crawford

Last edited by EveryDay: 05-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old
05-18-2012, 03:00 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Why everyone hates Carbonneau....

look at the 2007-2008 season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

He's not my top candidate but stop acting like he suck.
I liked Carbo, made some head scratching decisions but all in all I liked him. He had that horrible stretch and the only real help he got was Schneider. I honestly think one of the reasons why he got fired was him wanting to play Halak instead of Price. Gainey had fired Julien in similar circumstances.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:10 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I liked Carbo, made some head scratching decisions but all in all I liked him. He had that horrible stretch and the only real help he got was Schneider. I honestly think one of the reasons why he got fired was him wanting to play Halak instead of Price. Gainey had fired Julien in similar circumstances.
Every coach make scratching decision... even thruw i want new blood in this team team Carbonneau still won us the title in the East that year. Hartley would be very interesting also since he won everything at every level.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:22 PM
llamateizer

dont know if already posted

http://www.habsolumentfan.com/conten...-serait-choisi

Hartley is selected.
they wait the end of the memorial cup to announce it

its not necessarly a legit source

Old
05-18-2012, 03:24 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
dont know if already posted

http://www.habsolumentfan.com/conten...-serait-choisi

Hartley is selected.
they wait the end of the memorial cup to announce it

its not necessarly a legit source
Its been post this morning but release...Source not accepted.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Just to be fair: that's not my blog

Closed Thread