HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
mikeysvette
Go Seadogs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
For possible coach candidates - what about Guy Carbonneau? If such names as Alain Vigneault or Michel Therrien can come back, why not Carbs?
Yea thats what I said earlier but it seems most ppl on here are passed on Carbs...but how bout this??

Coach - Babcock, Vigneault, or Quenneville
Ass. Coach - Carbonneau
D Coach - Robinson

Old
05-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
on HNIC they mentionned that Stan Bowman's sorta let know that he wasn't plenty satisfied with coaching done this year. Also talking about the hawks having 2 different camps of people with different mindsets. 1 of them included Tallon, Dudley, Bergevin, Quenneville.. the other 1 Bowman, macgiver, Smith ...which reinforces the fact Chicago would prolly let him walk away.

I'm not a hockey god but if you'd ask me I'd rather have Tallo, Dudley, Bergevin, Quenneville than the rest lol. Yes, Tallon messed up with signings like Campbell and Huet but god he turned the Hawks into a SC team and friggen did the same this year with Florida. Dudley in 1 year in Atlanta brought Chicago's underestimated guys like Ladd and Byfuglien with him for barely nothing in return. Quenneville never missed the playoffs, got to W conference final twice and won the SC once.

Fetching Dudley from Toronto is friggen awesome. As for Quenneville, I'd still prefer Babcock or idk, maybe Roy, but I definitly wouldn't be against him.
Actually Tallon didn't want Q

Q was brought in by influence of Scotty Bowman on Rocky Wirtz (Scotty and team pres were one's who forced Tallon to fire his friend Denis Savard)

Tallon didn't want to fire Savard ,, If Tallon had his way Denis Savard would have never been fired (And Hawks likely never win cup as Savard was a terrible in game coach)

And for Buff + Ladd (+ a cap dump in Sopel , A 4th liner in Eager and a cancer in Aliu)

The Hawks got

1st round pick (Kevin Hayes)
2nd round pick (Justin Holl)
2nd round pick (Adam Clendening)
LW Jeremy Morin

I wouldn't call that nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Tallon didn't want to sign either Campbell or Huet to his contracts, it was (I think) the team President who wanted to usher a new era of stars who forced his hand.
Tallon went all in on Campbell

He followed him for years and wanted him badly ,, Hawks team president and ROcky Wirtz gave him blank check basically and Tallon spent it insanely

Campbell was Tallon boy (He also traded for him this past summer to confirm his love of Brian Campbell)

Huet is the one that is always source of debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Blackhawk fans are nearly universal in their hate for Quenneville at this point, although you could say the same about us with Martin, and he's still a good coach.
Most of the hate is result of his BFF Mike Kitchen

The guy is worst coach in NHL and destroyed Hawks special teams ,, Yet Q wont fire his friend

Old
05-07-2012, 05:02 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
My point was that Hartley isn't a great coach, nor was he ever. That without his results in Colorado behind All-star teams, teams that would be clear favorites to win the cup today, you wouldn't even be talking about him.
Until whitesnake pointed out Hartley's record I also thought little of Hartley.

If Hartley isn't a great coach then how do you explain that he has won in every league?

NHL
AHL
Q
And now in the Swiss league.

Has he been blessed with an all-star team wherever he went?

Old
05-07-2012, 05:07 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by peate View Post
Todd pimping Jacques Lemaire this morning.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...356/story.html
Please God No!!!!!

Old
05-07-2012, 05:09 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Roy with Carbo and Robinson.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
I would like to see Lemaire. Whether we like it or not, he's a good coach. And as Overlords said, whether we like it or not (and I don't) that is the way the league is trending. If we can be as ahead of the trend as we can get at this point, good.
I disagree with you a bit.

A good example is the LA Kings. They are playing extremely aggressive in your face hockey. As soon as a Blues player received the puck, there was a Kings player checking them.

No standing around the Blue line by the Kings.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:15 PM
SouthernHab

And on a side note, I do not understand one bit the requests for Carbo to return as a coach in Montreal........head coach, assistant coach or even Zamboni driver.

Have we forgotten his poor judgement? Like press boxing Ryder when we were hurting for goals. Or playing DMen as forwards?

Talent was wasted with Carbo behind the bench. He is fine where he is at right now.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
And on a side note, I do not understand one bit the requests for Carbo to return as a coach in Montreal........head coach, assistant coach or even Zamboni driver.

Have we forgotten his poor judgement? Like press boxing Ryder when we were hurting for goals. Or playing DMen as forwards?

Talent was wasted with Carbo behind the bench. He is fine where he is at right now.
To his credit, he had a divided lockerroom and minimal talent to work with. Price, AKost, Pleks, SKost or even Pacs/Lats/Lapierre/Kosto were half the players they are now. Markov was good, but after him? Hamrlik, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois, Gorges and Komisarek. Gorges wasn't that good, Brise/Dandy/Bouillon were terrible. Leaving Komi with Markov and Hamrlik.

Tanguay and Kovalev were the two best talents on his team... that says enough.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
To his credit, he had a divided lockerroom and minimal talent to work with. Price, AKost, Pleks, SKost or even Pacs/Lats/Lapierre/Kosto were half the players they are now. Markov was good, but after him? Hamrlik, Dandenault, Bouillon, Brisebois, Gorges and Komisarek. Gorges wasn't that good, Brise/Dandy/Bouillon were terrible. Leaving Komi with Markov and Hamrlik.

Tanguay and Kovalev were the two best talents on his team... that says enough.
In your first sentence, you nailed it with regard why he should never coach in Montreal again.

"....he had a divided lockerroom......."

That falls squarely on the coaching staff.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:40 PM
TheBuriedHab

Gillis just signed an extension in Vancouver. Elliot Friedman said he expects Vigneault will get one too.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Did anyone just see the Blair Mackasey interview on CTV Montreal? He basically called Grigorenko a floater... LOL

Old
05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
In your first sentence, you nailed it with regard why he should never coach in Montreal again.

"....he had a divided lockerroom......."

That falls squarely on the coaching staff.
Yeah and not the glorious Saku Koivu or the artist Alexei Kovalev? The coaches can only do so much, Carbo even said so in his cryptic announcement after his firing: someday the truth will come out.

It's plainly clear that whatever went on that that old boy's club (Begin, Rivet, Koivu, etc) was bad for business and Gainey cleared ALL OF THEM out.

Young lockerroom + careless, myopic leadership = none of the UFAs get resigned, not even My Captain, My Captain Saku Koivu.

I'd welcome Carbo back if only because he had an untalented squad and he managed to win with them and win with style. Imagine Subban and the Patches line under Carbo? It'd be glorious.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:54 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Carbo deserves credit, he had the best record of all our recent coaches, Habs finished first overall, very good PP and PK. For a rookie coach, that's nothing to sneeze at. He should get a chance at an interview at least.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Most of the hate is result of his BFF Mike Kitchen

The guy is worst coach in NHL and destroyed Hawks special teams ,, Yet Q wont fire his friend
Thanks for the insight.

Quote:

Well to be fair to Carbo, it seems like every coach we hire play defensemen as forwards. I wouldn't be against Carbo as an assistant in charge of the special teams.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Player 61
#Winning

AV just got harder to get... VIA Twitter

Francois Gagnon
Prolongation for coach V? RT @JSportsnet: Mike Gillis signs new contract with Canucks. good news for Vigneault and the coaching staff.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
AV just got harder to get... VIA Twitter

Francois Gagnon
Prolongation for coach V? RT @JSportsnet: Mike Gillis signs new contract with Canucks. good news for Vigneault and the coaching staff.
We don't need Vigneault.

Been there. Done that.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
We don't need Vigneault.

Been there. Done that.
Maybe other teams making subtractions for us is good, maybe.... I think he's 80 percent staying in Van-City now. Who else will Vancouver hire since now Gilllis stays? Nobody likely. Luongo will pay the price.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Gaston Gingras

If it's Roy

Price will be better

Roy knows what it is like being a young goaltender in one of the most crazy hockey cities in the world. He also knows what it takes to succeed in that environment.

What better way is there for Price to learn than under the tutelage of the Hall of Famer Roy?

Old
05-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
If it's Roy

Price will be better

Roy knows what it is like being a young goaltender in one of the most crazy hockey cities in the world. He also knows what it takes to succeed in that environment.

What better way is there for Price to learn than under the tutelage of the Hall of Famer Roy?
Yeah! Quit when the pressure to too BIG!

Old
05-07-2012, 06:28 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
For possible coach candidates - what about Guy Carbonneau? If such names as Alain Vigneault or Michel Therrien can come back, why not Carbs?
for me he is not a coach

Old
05-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Gaston Gingras

Quote:
Roy far from being a quitter!!
not in my book

Old
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Imagine Subban and the Patches line under Carbo? It'd be glorious.
It's more likely that Subban would be ON Pacioretty's line with Carbo...

Old
05-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Roy far from being a quitter!!
not in my book
He walked out on the City & his fans, & I'm from the part of the City that came up with the "St-Patrick" thing, we believed, So yeah....

Old
05-07-2012, 06:40 PM
deandebean

Quote:
He didn't quit because the pressure was too big. How old are you? The pressure was intense during the playoffs, in 1993. THAT was pressure. He quit because he couldn't stand this clown organisation. And he was right.

As for the Lemaire comment regarding Montreal, even though I can't find the exact quote from the reporter, the story went as follows. And it's the EXACT info:
1. Gainey approached Lemaire. Lemaire asked for a lot of money. Gainey was ready to dish it out. Plus, Lemaire was bringing Tremblay with him to be the buffer between himself and the media. In fact, during non-game days, it would have been Tremblay who would have met the press. It was a done deal with Gainey.
2. Tremblay went fishing up north, Lemaire went on vacation. Both, in their minds, had a sealed deal. Or so it seemed.
3. Gainey went to the prez and the owner. His plan was in place to have Lemaire and Tremblay. Instant credibility. Gainey talked about the money. No problem. Gainey talked about Tremblay's role with the media. Boivin objected vehemently. And rejected the said deal.
4. Enters Gauthier. He proposes Jacques Martin. Gainey reaches to Martin and a deal is struck.
5. Soon after, Lemaire AND Tremblay (still gone fishing) learn about the Martin deal via the media. No calls from 'class act' Gainey. Nothing. Lemaire is PIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSED. Tremblay is shocked. Lemaire doesn't return calls from the media, goes in hiding in his cottage in Lac-Simon, Québec. Won't talk about it...except to a couple of friends. And they too are appalled.

I believe François Gagnon or another brought the story up. And I'm pretty sure MAG could probably corroborate most of the story. I can assure you it's all true. And this info is held close to the vest by Lemaire. But he still talks to people in the Lac-Simon area.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Player 61
#Winning

@Deandebean, old enough, just Irish! Getting mad at management is one thing, but the whole City beloved him. He should have acted like a man, not a child & worked it out, he left all of us! It was a tantrum...

Never really heard any apologies to his fans or the City yet? He won't be hired anyway...

Closed Thread