HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Riddum

vCash: 500
Carbonneau deserves another shot. He's the best out of that group.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:02 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCantHandleMyRiddum View Post
Carbonneau deserves another shot. He's the best out of that group.
Carbonneau needs to stop being a horrible tactician before he can be considered. His teams were invariably terrible on 5-on-5 play and that's even more important now with fewer penalty calls than it was back when he coached.

Furthermore, anyone who cannot recognize that Alex bleeping Tanguay is a better 5-on-5 player than Tom Kostopoulos is not a NHL-quality coach.

He's the worst out of that group and considering the low quality of the group of candidates that's quite the indictment. Carbo is basically Cunneyworth except he speaks French.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm not seeing anything in your post that would qualify him for the job as a NHL head coach.

I'm seeing that he's able to use economic advantadge to build highly talented teams, that he's got "desire to succeed" and "hockey in the blood", and "demands 110%". Here's the thing: none of the above is a core competency for the job. His credentials as a player or his place in the history of the Habs are likewise completely irrelevant.

And this is my problem with every endorsement of Roy as a coach: it seems he is being suggested for reasons that have practically nothing to do with the job he's going to be asked to do. He's being suggested for the team's image, not for his coaching.
Mathman, do the same work for EVERY available candidate. What did Crawford did lately for him to deserve the job? What did anybody proved lately? Hey, the last guy that DID prove something lately is Hartley. Mind you, in a Swiss league. Yet, he is the one responsible for recognizing which imports he'd need to make that team a good one. Also, somehow, he did have the type of season LA seems to be having. At the bottom of the teams that made the playoffs and win the whole thing. Yes, just a Swiss league, yet, in any league, being able to be brand new and have the respect of your players and made them win....that has to count for something.

So frankly, the ONLY way you could analyse a coach's work, unless you know them personnally, is with their record. And while nobody is perfect, the end result is that Hartley won in every league he coached. That also has to count for something. But hey.....he bashed Price in a couple of occasions, so he clearly can't coach the Habs. As if coaches never bashes their players....

Old
05-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Roke

Quote:
He's the worst out of that group and considering the low quality of the group of candidates that's quite the indictment. Carbo is basically Cunneyworth except he speaks French.
That's unfair to Carbonneau, at least he's smart enough to not healthy scratch a #1 defenseman.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
whoever gets nominated, this board will explode and ya'll gonna want to fire Bergervin.

Roy: Too emotional, too arrogant.
Hartley: Hasn't coached in 5 years, he worked for TVA so he sucks.
Therrien: Couldn't win with Pittsburgh and his English is horrible.
Carbo: He sucks on l'Antichambre, what an idiot

Old
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Mathman, do the same work for EVERY available candidate. What did Crawford did lately for him to deserve the job? What did anybody proved lately?
Ah, but see, when you talk about Crawford it's about his coaching style, his approach to the game and, yes, his prior NHL results. Same think with Hartley.

This is almost never discussed about Patrick Roy. The arguments for selecting Patrick Roy all revolve around image, whereas at least for the others, the arguments at least revolve around coaching.

Put it another way: if Patrick Roy wasn't Patrick Roy, HALL OF FAMER!, or if we were looking to fill the Oilers' coaching vacancy, Roy would not even be on the radar, whereas the others might at least get seriously looked at.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
That's unfair to Carbonneau, at least he's smart enough to not healthy scratch a #1 defenseman.
Does playing a future all-star D-man as a fourth-line left-winger count?

Old
05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Ah, but see, when you talk about Crawford it's about his coaching style, his approach to the game and, yes, his prior NHL results.

None of which is ever discussed about Patrick Roy. The arguments for selecting Patrick Roy all revolve around image, whereas at least for the others, the arguments at least revolve around coaching.

Put it another way: if Patrick Roy wasn't Patrick Roy, HALL OF FAMER!, or if we were looking to fill the Oilers' coaching vacancy, Roy would not even be on the radar.
Well Roy can't have prior results 'cause he's a rookie, just like a few more rookies who are hired in this league. Not sure I've rarely seen also a rookie coach's style being dissected the way the ones who have had a job in the NHL are. Somehow, most rookies do come from AHL teams who have had some success in that league. Yet, do people take into consideration the team they had in hand that made them succesful? Do they really take into consideration the improvement of young players? And even then, at some point, while you do have some great stories, there are others who failed terribly. And yet, when the GM hired them, they obviously thought the world out of them.

So even if you are unable to have a real stand on a guy because you haven't unable to follow him closely and see his coaching style, you could get to his candidacy by removing the ones that are available. I know, not the greatest and "winner" way of choosing a coach, but it's that time of the year with the available candidates. But then, that's only if you are unable to dissect Roy's style of coaching. Yep, he didn't look awfully good this year or the year before, but did he really had the players to go further. Prior to this year, most experts were not seeing the Remparts to be that great as they were in the regular season. Mind you, you'll say that when you lead a team 3-0, you shouldn't lose 4-3. Yet, a Cup winner went through this as well.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
whoever gets nominated, this board will explode and ya'll gonna want to fire Bergervin.

Roy: Too emotional, too arrogant.
Hartley: Hasn't coached in 5 years, he worked for TVA so he sucks.
Therrien: Couldn't win with Pittsburgh and his English is horrible.
Carbo: He sucks on l'Antichambre, what an idiot
It will be one of these four unless something totally unexpected happens like hiring a guy like Martin Raymond or Pascal Vincent or Gerard Gallant.

For those who are constantly bashing the top four candidates, PLEASE, give us a list - just a list of THREE potential and available guys who could be better than them... NOT EQUAL ! BETTER !

Old
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
It will be one of these four unless something totally unexpected happens like hiring a guy like Martin Raymond or Pascal Vincent or Gerard Gallant.

For those who are constantly bashing the top four candidates, PLEASE, give us a list - just a list of THREE potential and available guys who could be better than them... NOT EQUAL ! BETTER !
Does he speak french?

Old
05-18-2012, 04:58 PM
jwolf

I have no problem with Hartley or Crawford. As a lover of underdogs, I'm secretly hoping it'll be Groulx or Martin Raymond (ok, not so secretly anymore...). Won't happen, but I like new blood.

Whomever the new coach is, I'll be supremely disappointed if Larry Robinson isn't brought back into the fold. He wants to be here and - moreover - we need him!

Old
05-18-2012, 05:05 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I have no problem with Hartley or Crawford. As a lover of underdogs, I'm secretly hoping it'll be Groulx or Martin Raymond (ok, not so secretly anymore...). Won't happen, but I like new blood.

Whomever the new coach is, I'll be supremely disappointed if Larry Robinson isn't brought back into the fold. He wants to be here and - moreover - we need him!

Not true. I have seen a link saying otherwise.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I didn't think Crawford did a bad job with Dallas. Voted for him, mostly because the rest make me want to vomit, best of the worst?

Old
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Does he speak french?
No.

Not only that, but he's the worst possible coach named in that thread.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:54 PM
WG

Quote:
Ah, but see, when you talk about Crawford it's about his coaching style, his approach to the game and, yes, his prior NHL results. Same think with Hartley.

This is almost never discussed about Patrick Roy. The arguments for selecting Patrick Roy all revolve around image, whereas at least for the others, the arguments at least revolve around coaching.

Put it another way: if Patrick Roy wasn't Patrick Roy, HALL OF FAMER!, or if we were looking to fill the Oilers' coaching vacancy, Roy would not even be on the radar, whereas the others might at least get seriously looked at.
As I have said previously, if he weren't former Hab legend Patrick Roy, he'd be in the same boat as Groulx, whose possible candidacy has gotten surprisingly little traction either in the media or on this board.

I'd rather have Groulx than Roy and I'd rather have Roy than the various recylced candidates we've heard about.

I do disagree with you though that Roy's canadiacy is strictly a Habs/franco thing. He is an undeniable great as a player and he has done the time coaching at the Junior level. I believe that a lot of NHL teams could sell the idea of Roy as a new coach, moreso than the dozens of realtively unknown junior coaches.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

I voted Hartley but it could have been Roy as well. I believe in both hoping they'll be well surrounded.

But I can wait to see the Hartley haters at work if Shawinigan doesn't look good at the Mem Cup...they might even think he had something to do with their possible bad performance since he was there to "help" lately....

Old
05-18-2012, 06:08 PM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WG View Post
As I have said previously, if he weren't former Hab legend Patrick Roy, he'd be in the same boat as Groulx, whose possible candidacy has gotten surprisingly little traction either in the media or on this board.
Didnt get any traction cause the guy tried the pro level for 1 year couldnt handle it and came back to junior hockey.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Considering the lack of candidates in the experienced coaching ranks, I think its a strong possibility to see a rookie head coach. I really wish there was an attractive candidate with nhl experience. Looks like Bergevin is gonna have to take a larger risk than I was hoping for as his first hire. Actually, I'd rather take that risk than hiring any of the recycled candidates.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Derek Zoolander
En un clin d'œil

Give me St Patrick or give me death!

Old
05-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander View Post
Give me St Patrick or give me death!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Death

Does he speak French?

Old
05-18-2012, 07:41 PM
PorkChopSandwiches

Has anyone given thought that they might announce Hartley as HC on Tuesday and have Roy as an AC ? What are the pros and cons to that ?

Old
05-18-2012, 07:49 PM
deandebean

Take it as you may, but Ben Groulx mandated a real estate guy from the Outaouais region (that my biz partner knows) to start looking for a house in the Hudson-St-Lazare region.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Take it as you may, but Ben Groulx mandated a real estate guy from the Outaouais region (that my biz partner knows) to start looking for a house in the Hudson-St-Lazare region.
I see Groulx more as an assistant coach than anything else.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
deandebean

Not to try to soften my previous post, but it doesnt mean he's getting closer to the Habs. It means that Groulx is looking for some new digs. That's it. Nothing else.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:55 PM
sheed36

Bergevin silent on Habs coaching search...

SHAWINIGAN, Que. -- New Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin vowed that his search for a head coach would be confidential and he kept to his word when he arrived at the Mastercard Memorial Cup on Friday night....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...eal_canadiens/

Closed Thread