HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part VIII

View Poll Results: Your choice for next HC
Marc Crawford 23 16.67%
Bob Hartley 47 34.06%
Michel Therrien 11 7.97%
Patrick Roy 49 35.51%
Guy Carbonneau 8 5.80%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
After looking at some all-time NHL coaching records, learned Terry Murray was born and raised in Shawville, Quebec (according to wiki). Curious if anyone knows if he is bilingual or not?
Yes the Murrays are indeed from Shawville, Quebec, but unfortunately so are a lot of unilingual anglophones including our very own Grant McCagg. Having said that I have no idea if Terry Murray can speak any French.

EDIT: I just learned that "no", Terry Murray does not speak French. Too bad because he's known for being a great teacher and in my opinion blows our current usual suspect candidates out of the water.

Last edited by Schooner Guy: 05-20-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old
05-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmtl View Post
Because its ****ing 2012. By the way, there are many Habs fans who are not francophone. Why does the coach or the team have to be based on a francophone identity? It worked in the 70s, it won't work today. For God's sake, most star french players don't even want to play here. U want a team full of francophone players at the cost of being competitive? Thank God you are not in charge.
It's about being able to serve the magority of your fandom in the language they speak. Personaly i've been able to understand and read and watch english tv shows since I was 13 years old, learning it by myself but in my circle i'm an anomaly. Most people I know wouldn't be able to tell an english tourist direction. What can I say Quebec is its own little World and many will spend their days never knowing one word in english because they don't have to.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
The only thing really worrying me about Hartley was the reports that I read of him just not getting along with his players. But then again, they're only reports.

His resume is by far the most impressive out of all the candidates, dude wins.
The thing about Hartley is that he has an intense style and after a while players gets tired of it. But I guess if the Habs can keep him for 3 years it would be enough.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Look who's whining now? Come on, man. The fan base is what it is: sensitive on the language issue, for very good reasons. Mainly: this franchise was built on a francophone identity. And it's part of the cultural heritage of the french canadians across the country.
First off let me say I think the coach should speak French. True you can have an unilingual English coach with a translator but the optics are lousy so that's an idea for the wastepaper basket.

Now to some of the points you brought up.

1) Go back and look at the Canadiens history and you will see that it was not built on a French Canadian identity. It was built on bi-ethnic identity. The first owner was an Anglo. True, the team was built with the goal of having mostly French canadian players, owners & fans. But things being what they are in Montreal it never worked out that way. The first owner was Ambrose O'Brien, He sold it to George Kennedy who sold it it to Leo Dandurand (an American not a Franco). When the Maroons were around the Habs were suppose to be the team for French Canadians and the Maroons for the English Canadians. But things being what they are in Montreal, the Maroons folded into the Candiens.

The Habs have had a strong BI-ETHNIC identity right up to the turn of the millennium. Then it became a MULT-ETHNIC team. They may have been called the Flying Frenchmen but if you go check to the rosters of the team you'll find that the Habs were a healthy mix of Francos & Anglos.

2) For that other point that the core fans across Canada are Francos well, that's nonsense. The Habs have fans across Canada and even going into the states and the overwhelming majority of them are anglos. You only have to look to Subban (from T.O.), Kadri (from T.O.) and Crosby (from Nova Scotia) saying publicly they grew up as fans of the Habs. Then contrast that with Bergevin from Boston saying he grew up hating the Habs. And most of the French canadian players in the NHL who are not from Montreal really have little or no affection for the Habs. Martin Lapointe, Briere are two examples that jump to mind.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
macavoy

An interesting quote about Hartley

In Pat Hickey's article about Morgan Ellis, I found this little tidbit

Quote:
Veilleux conceded that everyone, including the rabid fan base here, has cast the Cataractes in the underdog role, and they are at a further disadvantage because they haven’t played a game in a month.

They have had intense practices, a pep talk or two from Veilleux’s long-time mentor Bob Hartley, and an exhibition game against former Shawinigan players, including Jason Pominville of the Buffalo Sabres.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:35 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Just woke up from a dream where we hired Marc Crawford as head coach and Bob Hartley as assistant coach...

05-20-2012, 12:38 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Just woke up from a nightmare where we hired Marc Crawford as head coach and Bob Hartley as assistant coach...
fixed

Old
05-20-2012, 12:42 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Just woke up from a dream where we hired Marc Crawford as head coach and Bob Hartley as assistant coach...
Dream?

Old
05-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's about being able to serve the magority of your fandom in the language they speak. Personaly i've been able to understand and read and watch english tv shows since I was 13 years old, learning it by myself but in my circle i'm an anomaly. Most people I know wouldn't be able to tell an english tourist direction. What can I say Quebec is its own little World and many will spend their days never knowing one word in english because they don't have to.
I think you're out of touch to assume that the majority of the Montreal Canadiens fanbase is unilingual french...the Montreal Canadiens are a global brand.

Look at the calendar...it's May 2012

Old
05-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think you're out of touch to assume that the majority of the Montreal Canadiens fanbase is unilingual french...the Montreal Canadiens are a global brand.

That's what really gets me the most when people speak of the language. It's as if the large majority of the Habs fanbase only speaks french and english is an alien language.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Not The One

Quote:

People like you were saying the SAME THING in 1912. Francophones can't be NHL players, coaches, owners, bla bla bla....

Look at the roster for Montreal's OTHER pro hockey team at the time. Here and here.

At least there was a team in Québec for us, right? Nope.

Now of course it's Wrong for francophone fans wishing for a francophone coach on their local team, but Right for anglophone fans wishing for an anglophone coach on the only team with a francophone fanbase.

My, how things change...

Old
05-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Bob in Niagara

I could really care less what language the coach speaks...as long as he is a very good coach, I will be happy....I understand the ability to speak french is important for those in the province of Quebec...but I can assure you that the Habs fanbase extends far beyond those borders and those fans are mainly English speaking....take a trip out west to a Habs game and check it out for yourself...

Old
05-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
People like you were saying the SAME THING in 1912. Francophones can't be NHL players, coaches, owners, bla bla bla....

Look at the roster for Montreal's OTHER pro hockey team at the time. Here and here.

Now of course it's Wrong for francophone fans wishing for a francophone coach on their local team, but Right for anglophone fans wishing for an anglophone coach on the only team with a francophone fanbase.

My, how things change...
'people like me'?

you mean a francophone like me? Yes, shocking as it may be...I live in Ottawa, but my first language is french

Look..youR post made little sense. I never said anything about the language of the coach...All I said was that it was out of touch to think that the MAJORITY of the Habs fanbase is unilingual french.

It's NOT 1912...putting links of hockeydb.com from rosters from the 1920's just strengthens my point that some people, are way out of touch

Old
05-20-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Look who's whining now? Come on, man. The fan base is what it is: sensitive on the language issue, for very good reasons. Mainly: this franchise was built on a francophone identity. And it's part of the cultural heritage of the french canadians across the country. Does it mean it's a secular fan base? No, by no means. But the core of its fan base is francophone and the core wants a coach that can speak the native tongue.

If any of you guys haven't figure this thing out since birth, then what the hell are you doing as Montreal fans??? My goodness, read its history a bit more. It's not even a debatable subject: it's a team that was built with a francophone identity. And its core of fans wants a francophone identity, be it the coach or the players. Simple as that.

You may not agree with this. Good, I understand. But it's fact. It's been fact since the days of the Rocket and has been fact since the end of Pierre Gauthier's tenure.

Mind you, the Anglos in Montreal and elsewhere have always had the same arguments over the last 50 years. I've heard the same stuff, I've read the same stuff. And you know what? Since Toe Blake, management, coaches and players have been either Montreal-born or raised, francophone or bilingual at a minimal stage. Heck, even Sam Pollock spoke some french. Al McNeil is the last coach (before our interim this season) to have been a unilingual one. And he failed miserably, having its captain laugh at his face publicly. Like Jean Perron, the Habs won the cup in spite of him. He left after one season.

Soooooo, why is it sooooooooo hard to cope with this FACT? Why?
With all due respect, and I personally have no side to pick on this language debate (I couldn't careless what language a coach speaks) but I keep reading about the history of the Montreal Canadiens and how it's built on a francophone identity...

I have trouble seeing how that's got anything to do with what's going on today...We live in a different time...The Boston Red sox for 44 years were owned by a racist owner, Tom Yawkey, no players of color were even allowed to play on that team or they didn't even employ people of color.

Does that mean the Red Sox should go back to that 'history' today? I know that's a different example...but we live in a different time, the Montreal Canadiens today, do not exist in the same time period as they did when they were created

It doesnt mean they shouldn't honor their identity...they just shouldn't be limited to it IMO.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:
With all due respect, and I personally have no side to pick on this language debate (I couldn't careless what language a coach speaks) but I keep reading about the history of the Montreal Canadiens and how it's built on a francophone identity...

I have trouble seeing how that's got anything to do with what's going on today...We live in a different time...The Boston Red sox for 44 years were owned by a racist owner, Tom Yawkey, no players of color were even allowed to play on that team or they didn't even employ people of color.

Does that mean the Red Sox should go back to that 'history' today? I know that's a different example...but we live in a different time, the Montreal Canadiens today, do not exist in the same time period as they did when they were created

It doesnt mean they shouldn't honor their identity...they just shouldn't be limited to it IMO.
All we can read on this thread is HOW BAD so and so - these bilingual potential coaches - are... But NO ONE can come up with at least 2 or 3 names of UNILINGUAL, AVAILABLE guys (with experience) who are CLEARLY SUPERIOR and who could coach the Habs....

Old
05-20-2012, 02:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Don't twist things. Nobody has stated that they would prefer an anglo coach over any french coach. What people have said is let's get the best coach, French or English.

And me? I say go french, as they are as good or better than any Anglo candidate right now, and it will keep people happy and let Habs get on with the rebuilding job!
OK, Fine. name me at least ONE UNILINGUAL potential coach with experience and who is CLEARLY SUPERIOR to any of the candidates we're talking about so far.

If you cannot name one, then there is NO reason to not choose a bilingual coach.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post

My, how things change...

Anglophones fans don't necessarily want an anglophone coach. Anglophones want the best coach available to win hockey games. He could be from Mars for all I care. I think I speak for the entire anglo fanabse when I say that.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
SnapVirus

Its easy to say that. Cauze all coaches speaks english.

If all coaches were speaking french. All francophones wouldnt mind either if the next coach is from Mars.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
'people like me'?

you mean a francophone like me? Yes, shocking as it may be...I live in Ottawa, but my first language is french

Look..youR post made little sense. I never said anything about the language of the coach...All I said was that it was out of touch to think that the MAJORITY of the Habs fanbase is unilingual french.

It's NOT 1912...putting links of hockeydb.com from rosters from the 1920's just strengthens my point that some people, are way out of touch
Game, set, and match! Good job! (je suis francophone pvi)

Old
05-20-2012, 03:17 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Anglophones fans don't necessarily want an anglophone coach. Anglophones want the best coach available to win hockey games. He could be from Mars for all I care. I think I speak for the entire anglo fanabse when I say that.
I'm French and I approve this message.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Its easy to say that. Cauze all coaches speaks english.

If all coaches were speaking french. All francophones wouldnt mind either if the next coach is from Mars.
Are you assuming the hypothetical coach from mars speaks french? I only threw that example out there because it doesn't matter to anglophones whether they speak the coach's language. The language of giving yourself the best chance at winning games is more important to them, whether that means the coach speaks only french, russian, or german or whatever.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And Montréal is a separate world from most of Québec. The Canadiens core fanbase is in a bilingual city where even the most francophone neighbourhoods are exposed to English, for better or worse.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
I'm French and I approve this message.
WHO is that best UNILINGUAL AVAILABLE COACH...who is CLEARLY superior to any of the AVAILABLE Bilingual ones out there ?

BILINGUAL doesn't mean FRENCH-QUEBEC BORN COACH !

Old
05-20-2012, 03:46 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
WHO is that best UNILINGUAL AVAILABLE COACH...who is CLEARLY superior to any of the AVAILABLE Bilingual ones out there ?

BILINGUAL doesn't mean FRENCH-QUEBEC BORN COACH !
Where did I say I didn't want a bilingual coach? Learn to read.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Are you assuming the hypothetical coach from mars speaks french? I only threw that example out there because it doesn't matter to anglophones whether they speak the coach's language. The language of giving yourself the best chance at winning games is more important to them, whether that means the coach speaks only french, russian, or german or whatever.
I think it might matter very much because 100% of all people that have ever coached in the NHL spoke english. There are a handfull of francos and two euros in 100+ years, but everybody HAD to speak english.

Closed Thread