HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We NEED To Win This Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2012, 09:48 AM
  #26
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
i have one reason, and only one reason.

this!!!!

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 09:50 AM
  #27
NYRKING30
Registered User
 
NYRKING30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
What would be devastating?.
I think it would be really devastating for the players on this team. I mean at that point you would have to think they would be in their heads. It would be a demoralizing loss. I understand expectations and being further then where we thought we would be. Make no mistake we need to beat these guys. 3 times in 4 years isn't acceptable IMO.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
  #28
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Normally, I would've been satisfied at this point. But I didn't expect us to play the Caps in the 2nd round, so I hope we can finally get over this hurdle once and for all.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
  #29
folding
Rookie User
 
folding's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
The Rangers need to win every series. That being said, losing to the Caps would be embarrassing, but only because the Caps shouldn't be so dominant over us year after year.

folding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
  #30
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,207
vCash: 500
The Devils played a great game last night, they were relentless and had KILLER ****ing instinct against their opponent. I want the same out of our boys tonight.

Home ice advantage, garden will be going nuts. Pile it on early and OFTEN. Lets go...

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
  #31
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
The Devils played a great game last night, they were relentless and had KILLER ****ing instinct against their opponent. I want the same out of our boys tonight.

Home ice advantage, garden will be going nuts. Pile it on early and OFTEN. Lets go...
Totally agree, the Devils skated the Flyers into submission last night. The Flyers had absolutely no answer to the Devils' relentless pressure.

Since we're better than the Devils, the Flyers are better than the Caps and our crowd is louder, no reason the same thing can't happen tonight.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:45 AM
  #32
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now
 
TonyTheGr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Morris County, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
A couple of things about this thread:

1.) Yes, we NEED to win this series. If we lose to the Caps for the 3rd time in 4 season, pissed won't even BEGIN to define how I will feel.

2.) I really hate when people say we "won the eastern conference". We have NOT won that yet. We won the Atlantic, and are the #1 seed in the playoffs. We need to get to the next round and win THAT, before we are "Eastern Conference Champs". I hate to be nit picky, but it is a real pet peeve of mine.

3.) I love how people are talking like if we get to the Conference Finals against the Devils, that it's almost like a sure thing that we're gonna beat them. Have you guys watched the Devils lately? They are clicking on ALL cylinders right now, played us tough all year, and if we happen to get to the next round against them, it is ANYTHING but a sure victory over them. Personally, I would love if Philly found a way to win these next 3 (even if by the skin of their teeth) and we end up facing them. Because by then, I think they will be ripe for the picking after a grueling 7 game series. Unfortunately, I doubt it's going to happen. Devils are winning this, and if we end up being lucky enough to face them, it will be not be easy by any stretch of the imagination to beat them. So take the "we're so much better then them" blinders off, because right now, we really are not.

All that said. We need to win TONIGHT. Nothing else. Can't allow this team to come into our building and put a strangle hold on this series. It just can't happen. If this team is anywhere near as good as we tell ourselves, they need to prove it, starting tonight.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
  #33
M0rbid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cave
Country: United States
Posts: 7,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
A couple of things about this thread:

1.) Yes, we NEED to win this series. If we lose to the Caps for the 3rd time in 4 season, pissed won't even BEGIN to define how I will feel.

2.) I really hate when people say we "won the eastern conference". We have NOT won that yet. We won the Atlantic, and are the #1 seed in the playoffs. We need to get to the next round and win THAT, before we are "Eastern Conference Champs". I hate to be nit picky, but it is a real pet peeve of mine.

3.) I love how people are talking like if we get to the Conference Finals against the Devils, that it's almost like a sure thing that we're gonna beat them. Have you guys watched the Devils lately? They are clicking on ALL cylinders right now, played us tough all year, and if we happen to get to the next round against them, it is ANYTHING but a sure victory over them. Personally, I would love if Philly found a way to win these next 3 (even if by the skin of their teeth) and we end up facing them. Because by then, I think they will be ripe for the picking after a grueling 7 game series. Unfortunately, I doubt it's going to happen. Devils are winning this, and if we end up being lucky enough to face them, it will be not be easy by any stretch of the imagination to beat them. So take the "we're so much better then them" blinders off, because right now, we really are not.

All that said. We need to win TONIGHT. Nothing else. Can't allow this team to come into our building and put a strangle hold on this series. It just can't happen. If this team is anywhere near as good as we tell ourselves, they need to prove it, starting tonight.
This.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 10:57 AM
  #34
robwrx04
Registered User
 
robwrx04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 213
vCash: 500


Soon..

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:37 AM
  #35
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,191
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Yeah because the Devils will go to the Finals if they play the Caps

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:13 PM
  #36
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Personally I'm not part of the crowed that will take any satisfaction out of a loss to Washington based on expectations before the season. First place in the East means expectations are to win. Now!
Win now for a team that is very young is very optimistic.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:17 PM
  #37
rangers5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
before the playoffs i thought bruins/pens might beat us, but was hopeful for a east final, now that they are gone, the way stars are aligning we have a real shot at the cup, just as good as anybody

rangers have to know this and come out hard tonight, they probably will have a new jersey final waiting for them with a great chance to beat them, no travel and 7 home games plus the most spotlight sine 94

caps beating us last year was easier to take, we weren't there yet, but this year we have the better team if we show up, i wouldn't be able to watch caps/devils two teams i hate knowing that should be us

i doesn't matter if we got first, we lose and the story is we lose AGAIN to ovy, no step forward from last year

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
  #38
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
I think it would be really devastating for the players on this team. I mean at that point you would have to think they would be in their heads. It would be a demoralizing loss. I understand expectations and being further then where we thought we would be. Make no mistake we need to beat these guys. 3 times in 4 years isn't acceptable IMO.
I am not an idiot, anytime a team is knocked out of the playoffs it is demoralizing to them the players.So this is taken for granted.

The two other times the Rangers played the Caps, the Caps were SUPPOSED to beat us, and they did. This is the first time we are SUPPOSED to beat them. To me that statement,if the Rangers were to lose being beaten 3 out of 4 years should not apply.

However, this isn't the "same team" as the 08-09 Rangers or last years bunch. I don't think the stigma of getting past the Caps would bother them, as much as it bothers you.

Also,there is a Game 5 to be played,tonight, World's Most Famous Arena where this hypothetical doesn't even have to be broached. Yet,anyways.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
  #39
rangers5000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 510
vCash: 500
i get were young, i thought pens/bruins might beat us

but with all the upsets this team, even a younger team has a legit chance to come out of the east

you don't know how many chances you have at the cup, who knows maybe the next 5 years will be tougher, this is a rarity having all the powerhouses wiped out this early, rangers need to take advantage of this

rangers5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
  #40
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Win now for a team that is very young is very optimistic.
We are the number one seed in the East, with two of the next three at home we are in the drivers seat in the second round against the seven seed, we'll home ice advantage in the next round against another lower seed, and the better teams out West have been eliminated.

The road to the Stanley Cup now goes straight through Madison Square Garden. We are now the favorites.

No reason we cannot win it THIS YEAR!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
  #41
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
A couple of things about this thread:

1.) Yes, we NEED to win this series. If we lose to the Caps for the 3rd time in 4 season, pissed won't even BEGIN to define how I will feel.

2.) I really hate when people say we "won the eastern conference". We have NOT won that yet. We won the Atlantic, and are the #1 seed in the playoffs. We need to get to the next round and win THAT, before we are "Eastern Conference Champs". I hate to be nit picky, but it is a real pet peeve of mine.

3.) I love how people are talking like if we get to the Conference Finals against the Devils, that it's almost like a sure thing that we're gonna beat them. Have you guys watched the Devils lately? They are clicking on ALL cylinders right now, played us tough all year, and if we happen to get to the next round against them, it is ANYTHING but a sure victory over them. Personally, I would love if Philly found a way to win these next 3 (even if by the skin of their teeth) and we end up facing them. Because by then, I think they will be ripe for the picking after a grueling 7 game series. Unfortunately, I doubt it's going to happen. Devils are winning this, and if we end up being lucky enough to face them, it will be not be easy by any stretch of the imagination to beat them. So take the "we're so much better then them" blinders off, because right now, we really are not.

All that said. We need to win TONIGHT. Nothing else. Can't allow this team to come into our building and put a strangle hold on this series. It just can't happen. If this team is anywhere near as good as we tell ourselves, they need to prove it, starting tonight.

I agree with this.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
  #42
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823
 
Blatant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @blatantlacrosse
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
I think the reason it is so important to win this series, is because all of the powerhouses are OUT.

Philly, Pitts, Boston, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit. All out.

This gives us the "easiest" road to the Cup that we might get. We have a chance to do something awesome this year. Need to win tonight.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
  #43
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
yes. for this reason alone i want the rangers to prevail. I couldn't bear to get eliminated by the Caps 3x since the lockout.

I blame Torts if we do...
That's a refreshingly original scapegoat if we lose. Look, I'll remain optimistic(no small order for me personally) by saying we win the series in 7 games.
However, the biggest issue I see for us going forward is win or lose, Sather needs to change some of the pieces of the team because it is readily apparent that not only are we not skilled enough, our skill players are just not big enough physically to compete game in and game out with some of the other teams that are remaining in the playoffs.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
  #44
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
I think the reason it is so important to win this series, is because all of the powerhouses are OUT.

Philly, Pitts, Boston, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit. All out.

This gives us the "easiest" road to the Cup that we might get. We have a chance to do something awesome this year. Need to win tonight.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
  #45
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
We are the number one seed in the East, with two of the next three at home we are in the drivers seat in the second round against the seven seed, we'll home ice advantage in the next round against another lower seed, and the better teams out West have been eliminated.

The road to the Stanley Cup now goes straight through Madison Square Garden. We are now the favorites.

No reason we cannot win it THIS YEAR!

Your right, now no reason they can't win it this year. However,expecting a run to the Finals by pointing at the seeding is foolhardy.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
  #46
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
Your right, now no reason they can't win it this year. However,expecting a run to the Finals by pointing at the seeding is foolhardy.
Not when you are already at 2-2 against an inferior team with two of the next three in your building, and home ice advantage in the next round. It's MORE than reasonable at this point.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
  #47
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=NikC;49375565]yes. for this reason alone i want the rangers to prevail. I couldn't bear to get eliminated by the Caps 3x since the lockout.

I blame Torts if we do...[/QUOTE]


Sarcasm?

I don't see how Tortie can be blamed for the whole thing, he doesn't skate on the ice.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
  #48
TKG
Registered Excuser
 
TKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Not when you are already at 2-2 against an inferior team with two of the next three in your building, and home ice advantage in the next round. It's MORE than reasonable at this point.

I agree with everything you say here.


However, it remains to be seen, they still have to beat that inferior team.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
  #49
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
A couple of things about this thread:

1.) Yes, we NEED to win this series. If we lose to the Caps for the 3rd time in 4 season, pissed won't even BEGIN to define how I will feel.

2.) I really hate when people say we "won the eastern conference". We have NOT won that yet. We won the Atlantic, and are the #1 seed in the playoffs. We need to get to the next round and win THAT, before we are "Eastern Conference Champs". I hate to be nit picky, but it is a real pet peeve of mine.

3.) I love how people are talking like if we get to the Conference Finals against the Devils, that it's almost like a sure thing that we're gonna beat them. Have you guys watched the Devils lately? They are clicking on ALL cylinders right now, played us tough all year, and if we happen to get to the next round against them, it is ANYTHING but a sure victory over them. Personally, I would love if Philly found a way to win these next 3 (even if by the skin of their teeth) and we end up facing them. Because by then, I think they will be ripe for the picking after a grueling 7 game series. Unfortunately, I doubt it's going to happen. Devils are winning this, and if we end up being lucky enough to face them, it will be not be easy by any stretch of the imagination to beat them. So take the "we're so much better then them" blinders off, because right now, we really are not.

All that said. We need to win TONIGHT. Nothing else. Can't allow this team to come into our building and put a strangle hold on this series. It just can't happen. If this team is anywhere near as good as we tell ourselves, they need to prove it, starting tonight.
Great post; nice job stepping up to the plate in stating what a lot of fans I know feel and really fear IF we are indeed fortunate enough to get by this grueling series with the Caps.
Assuming we do win this series, we
would be much better off facing the Flyers who look like a shell of themselves after their grueling series with the Pens.
The Devils not only are more talented than us offensively, their forwards are much bigger and more physical than our skilled players.

First things first though, we need to take care of business and get thru our series before we can start worrying about the Devils who will close out the Flyers in game #5 and be rested and ready for us.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:01 PM
  #50
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
this team is young and has a multi-year window to compete.
I doubt it. This team had enough scoring problems right now. Gabby's contract is done in 2 years, and Richards will be in his mid-30s by then. Gabby leaving could potentially be replaced with another high-priced UFA if one will be available, but Richards will keep getting big money despite a slow down in performance.

Unless either Thomas or St. Croix breaks out as a 70-80 point player, I dont see how we will have the offense to compete for the Cup ady that point.

Our window to win is this year plus two more seasons after this one. After that, it is possible, but not necessarily likely unless we get really like with a prospect or a trade.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.