Notices

At Least The Bruins Helped Make History

Old
05-07-2012, 06:39 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

vCash: 500
At Least The Bruins Helped Make History

I just saw on The Score that this is the first year in history that both the defending Stanley Cup Champions and the defending NBA Champions ( Dallas Mavericks ) got eliminated in the first round the following season. Not surprisingly - this doesn't make me feel any better.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:47 AM
ODAAT

I don`t watch hoops but as for the NHL, and someone here far more keen than I can look into comfirming it, I read that outside of the Pens/Wings when they went head to head a few years in a row, there hasn`t been a Cup Winner who`s made it past the 2nd round the following year.

I "think" (again, this would require comfirmation) that this was also true for the Cup finalist, the team who lost as well.

Just bloody tiring playing into June obviously

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:59 AM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I don`t watch hoops but as for the NHL, and someone here far more keen than I can look into comfirming it, I read that outside of the Pens/Wings when they went head to head a few years in a row, there hasn`t been a Cup Winner who`s made it past the 2nd round the following year.
That is true as Chicago won the Cup in 2010 but lost in the first round to Vancouver in 2011 and we all know what happened to the team that won the Cup in 2011.

BostonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:21 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
That is true as Chicago won the Cup in 2010 but lost in the first round to Vancouver in 2011 and we all know what happened to the team that won the Cup in 2011.
Yep, ya even look at a few teams such as the Bolts/Canes, if not mistaken, the Canes missed the playoffs all together after their Cup win, the Bolts this past year, although not in the Cup finals, didn`t qualify, it`s the parody aspect too.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:37 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Yeah, because that makes it more acceptable to lose to a team you should have beaten...

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:39 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Yeah, because that makes it more acceptable to lose to a team you should have beaten...
Not saying that LS, I merely yakking about an article that I wish I had of bookmarked, found it interesting about just how early the exits of Cup finalist teams have been in the year following their long run

Old
05-07-2012, 07:39 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
It would appear the modern day hockey player no longer has the conditioning or drive to even give the look of trying to defend their title...The Pens and Wings not only went to back to back Cups but both also won their first round matchup the following year...They should share their secrets...

I wonder if it's long term too as the Pens and Wings have done nothing really the past three years...the Canes, Ducks and Hawks have been also rans for the most part as well...Hopefully it's not a foreshadowing of whats to come for our Bruins.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Not saying that LS, I merely yakking about an article that I wish I had of bookmarked, found it interesting about just how early the exits of Cup finalist teams have been in the year following their long run
It's interesting to me in that it just shows you the importance of getting on a roll at the right time, having the right match ups, overall health, and how each year is truly it's own living breathing entity. What you did last year has zero impact on what will happen next year.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:44 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It's interesting to me in that it just shows you the importance of getting on a roll at the right time, having the right match ups, overall health, and how each year is truly it's own living breathing entity. What you did last year has zero impact on what will happen next year.
Getting up for the play-off games never hurt either, which is a problem I've only heard from the Bruins so far from these ex-Cup teams losing first round.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:46 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
It would appear the modern day hockey player no longer has the conditioning or drive to even give the look of trying to defend their title...The Pens and Wings not only went to back to back Cups but both also won their first round matchup the following year...They should share their secrets...

I wonder if it's long term too as the Pens and Wings have done nothing really the past three years...the Canes, Ducks and Hawks have been also rans for the most part as well...Hopefully it's not a foreshadowing of whats to come for our Bruins.
It`s a weird stat (man I wish I could find that article), I`m not sure it`s about conditioning as I think that all these NHL`ers, outside of maybe the Kostitsyn`s/Rhadulov`s who are out all night keep themselves in great shape and lead a mostly disciplined and regimented lifestyle when it comes to fitness.

Playoffs, as we well know are a strange bird, a bounce here and there, a team who gets hot, a goalie etc.....I just think that eventually, as much as the will is there, often it`s hard for the body to catch up, I`m an old man, I get tuckered out if I play back to back games of golf on consecutive days

Not excuse making, and I didn`t like reading Marchand/Looch`s comments about having difficulty summining up that emotional part of playoff hockey, but many on this team, and others, looked wiped out.

Look at the Flyers right now, 2nd round sweep at the hands of our boys, and against the Devs, after a 5 gamer with the Pens (albeit a war at times) they look absolutely beat and worn down, not one bit of push back to their game, yet the Devs after a long series with the Panthers, and a virtual non hit affair, appear fresh.

Old
05-07-2012, 07:46 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Getting up for the play-off games never hurt either, which is a problem I've only heard from the Bruins so far from these ex-Cup teams losing first round.
Ha! Yeah, hearing those type of comments was disheartening to me. Like how in the world can you be a professional athlete and not find the internal motivation to get up for the playoffs? It's absurd. Right up there with Adrian Gonzalez saying the Red Sox losing last year was God's will. How about give an honest effort and see how it shakes out instead of blaming higher powers for your team sucking the last month of the season?

Old
05-07-2012, 07:48 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Me thinks this is more of a case of Looch and Marchy making a statement probably that many others have felt, only they exhibited the discipline and awareness that it`s best left unsaid to the media

I`m intersted in what the Flyers will say post losing to the Devs, cuz that has been a mail in effort so far IMO, ironically, their best player has been the space cadet, not over yet but...

Old
05-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Me thinks this is more of a case of Looch and Marchy making a statement probably that many others have felt, only they exhibited the discipline and awareness that it`s best left unsaid to the media

I`m intersted in what the Flyers will say post losing to the Devs, cuz that has been a mail in effort so far IMO, ironically, their best player has been the space cadet, not over yet but...
I'm just as interested in what the hell the Predators' excuse is. Ridiculous that they should be getting their ***** handed to them by a team as inferior as the Coyotes.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 08:40 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:

Conditioning? I think the conditioning is probably miles above what it was decades ago, even with the longer schedule. I mean how many modern day players smoke between periods nowadays? How many old-timers worked cardio, nautilaus or free weights?

Drive is probably a whole 'nother matter. Hard to get psyched when you're getting a million+ bucks a year. It's not like the old days when the meat packing plant job was waiting for you when the season was over....

Question: And this is something that surprised me...I read somewhere that NHL players do not get paid for post season play, as opposed to MLB and NFL getting a share of the post season monies. Is this true or is someone talking through their hat? I can't imagine playing almost 2 months extra for no pay....even if it is the Cup.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 10:04 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Conditioning? I think the conditioning is probably miles above what it was decades ago, even with the longer schedule. I mean how many modern day players smoke between periods nowadays? How many old-timers worked cardio, nautilaus or free weights?

Drive is probably a whole 'nother matter. Hard to get psyched when you're getting a million+ bucks a year. It's not like the old days when the meat packing plant job was waiting for you when the season was over....

Question: And this is something that surprised me...I read somewhere that NHL players do not get paid for post season play, as opposed to MLB and NFL getting a share of the post season monies. Is this true or is someone talking through their hat? I can't imagine playing almost 2 months extra for no pay....even if it is the Cup.
Yeah they do...it's per round or something...

Old
05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Yeah they do...it's per round or something...
I think the team gets paid in one huge bonus, like a quarter mil per round or something. What they do with the money is up to them. I don't think it's per player though.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:10 PM
doc5hole

Something didn't sit right with me when I saw the title of the thread, and so it is ...

The Celtics and the Canadiens won the championship in 1969, and both failed to make the playoffs in 1970. THAT has not happened since.

The year the Devils missed ('96), Houston was the defending NBA champ and the Rockets lost in the second round.

The year the Hurricanes missed ('07), Miami was the defending NBA champ and the Heat lost in the opening round but did make the playoffs in the sequel season.

As an aside, Detroit and Pittsburgh made it two consecutive years. No NHL team has been in three straight Cup finals since the 84-85 Edmonton Oilers. In the modern era, the following NHL teams have made 3 or more consecutive Cup finals ...
* St. Louis: 3 ... 68-70 (first 3 years of 6-team expansion Western Division playoffs were self-contained)
Philadelphia: 3 ... 74-76
Montreal: 4 ... 76-79
NYI: 5 ... 80-84
Edmonton: 3 ... 83-85 (going back in 87, 88 & 90, that made it 6 finals in 8 years)

Besides the aformentioned, the following teams in the modern era (1967-) have made the final two years in a row ...
Montreal: 2 = 5 (overlapping back 3 years into Original 6 era ... 65-69)
Boston: 77-78
Edmonton: 87-88
Pittsburgh: 91-92
Detroit: 97-98* (Detroit was in 3 times in a 4-year period ... '95)
Dallas: 99-00
New Jersey: 00-01* (same for Jersey ...3 times in 4 years ... '03)
Detroit: 08-09
Pittsburgh: 08-09

Besides the aformentioned, the following teams in the modern era (1967-) have made the final two times within a 3-year period ...
Boston: 70 & 72
Chicago: 71 & 73
Philly: 85 & 87
Boston: 88 & 90

doc5hole is offline   Reply With Quote