HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jeff Carter Vs Dustin Brown

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2004, 10:03 AM
MojoJojo

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter Vs Dustin Brown

When the Flyers made their 1st round selection in 2003, they chose Jeff Carter at #11 over Dustin Brown. On the Flyers board many were upset, and felt that Clarke made a mistake and went with a safe but unspectacular pick passing up a potential star. Since then It seems Carter has been progressing very well. So who would you rather have and why?

Old
12-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
When the Flyers made their 1st round selection in 2003, they chose Jeff Carter at #11 over Dustin Brown. On the Flyers board many were upset, and felt that Clarke made a mistake and went with a safe but unspectacular pick passing up a potential star.
If that's the case, then they were speaking out of sheer ignorance. Brown was the safe pick and Carter was the guy who had the higher star upside.

Out of the two, I would pick Carter as a nice gamble. But I really like Brown.

Old
12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
i definitely like brown, hes my pick

Old
12-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
If that's the case, then they were speaking out of sheer ignorance. Brown was the safe pick and Carter was the guy who had the higher star upside.

Out of the two, I would pick Carter as a nice gamble. But I really like Brown.
I agree. Carter has more upside, based mainly on the fact that he has a nice skill-set in a much bigger package. Brown on the other hand looks to be a Deadmarsh clone. I think both teams will be happy with their selection.

Old
12-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Matt13

Dustin is currently playing with The Manchester Monarchs.

25 GP 12 Goals 16 Assists 28 Points plus 7 12 PIMS

Dustin has been most commonly compared to Adam Deadmarsh. Dustin lays out nice hits, grinds the corners, has great hockey sense, but is nothing of the fighter that Adam was. He will be a 1st liner in the years to come. This kid has a complete game.

Old
12-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Jungle Boy

Brown.
I think that he will be better than Deader

Old
12-14-2004, 10:17 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
Dustin is currently playing with The Manchester Monarchs.

25 GP 12 Goals 16 Assists 28 Points plus 7 12 PIMS

Dustin has been most commonly compared to Adam Deadmarsh. Dustin lays out nice hits, grinds the corners, has great hockey sense, but is nothing of the fighter that Adam was. He will be a 1st liner in the years to come. This kid has a complete game.
Yeah, he's been doing quite well in the AHL. Top three in goals scored, top ten in scoring on a great team. Manchester is really doing well, I cant wait until they play the Phantoms on the 17th at Philly.

Old
12-14-2004, 10:18 AM
Matt13

I may be in the minority but I get a little offended by the Deader comparison.

Deader has so much heart for the game and his teammates it was unreal. All you have to do is look back during the Kings Ottawa brawl, when after the faceoff Deader gets in a fight and then as he is in the box starts yelling to the Ottawa penalty box that was filled with Ottawa players as well and yells "you're next". The intense look on his face was frickin awesome.

Old
12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Agree Herb. Dustin is gritty, but he doesn't have the killer instinct that Deader has/had. I would definitely like to see DB drop the gloves.

12-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Jungle Boy

and then get punched in the head and finish his career with a concussion... nah

Old
12-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Matt13

Its not as simple as a punch to the head. When you punish your body as much as Adam did night after night, it was just a matter of time before a small thing was turned into a big thing.

Old
12-14-2004, 12:59 PM
John Flyers Fan

On draft day I Dustin Brown was the player I wanted, and was disappointed when they took Carter. Main reason was that I knew very little about Carter at the time.

When their draft pick came up again later in the first round I was hoping for Anthony Stewart, and was again disappointed when they took Mike Richards. Fast forward a few months and I'll glady stick with Richards.

The Flyers draft in 2003 could become one of the best in recent memory:

11 Jeff Carter
24 Mike Richards
69 Colin Fraser **
81 Stefan Ruzicka
85 Alexandre Picard
87 Ryan Potulny
95 Rick Kozak **
108 Kevin Romy
140 David Tremblay
191 Rejean Beauchemin
193 Ville Hostikka

** - since traded

Old
12-14-2004, 01:06 PM
nikolai19

I have to jump in here and give my .02

While I think there are comparisons between Deadmarsh and Brown there are also some major differences.

Deader is a much faster skater than DB. With that said, it explains a lot more the reckless abandon that Deader played with. Brown seems to be smarter and pick his spots when he hits guys. He laid out one of the Pack's guys the other night and was probably skating 30% when he did it.

Because of Deadmarsh's speed, he was able to go around guys and break into the net (at usually bad angles), but get shots off. Brownie tends to put himself 5 feet in front of the net constantly and get rebounds and cause havoc. Deader did this as well, but Brownie I think in the longrun will be more effective.

Size wise, I guess they are close...right now. Brownie just turned 20 and most likely is not done growing. At 6'1" 205lbs, he's already bigger than Deadmarsh, 6'0" 195lbs. I think when all is said and done Brownie could be 215lbs in a few years, and if he works on his skating with the added weight, it will benefit him.

Deadmarsh scored 30 goals once in his career and was a 20 goal scorer numerous times. I think Brown will be a 30 goal scorer in this league more than once primarily because he will benefit in his time with Manchester playing with Cammalleri, Lehoux, Grebeshkov, and Gleason. These are guys that LA management are touting as the next generation. If they stick together, the more they play, the better they will get. The results from this year already, speak for themselves.

I think overall, I can see why there is a comparison. I'm sure if someone pisses Dustin off enough, he'll go with them. However, at this point, I think overall Brownie will bring more to the table scoring wise and hockey smarts, but will be lucky if he can match Deader's intensity and toughness.

It would be nice if the season started up if Deader was healthy enough to sign with LA and be a mentor for Brownie. One can only dream...

Old
12-14-2004, 01:14 PM
BuppY

I would take Carter I am a big fan of his and I think he has a lot of talent and he is just a very good all around player. I compare him to Mats Sundin, and If he can become something like Mats Flyers fans are going to be happy for years to come!!!

Old
12-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Levitate

Quote:
He laid out one of the Pack's guys the other night and was probably skating 30% when he did it.
if i'm thinking of the correct hit, that was helminen he hit...who's like 5 foot nothing and was standing still looking for the puck at the moment.

not saying it wasn't a good hit, but you don't have to be moving very fast to cream a little guy who's standing still and not expecting it

Old
12-14-2004, 01:47 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Carter has more upside.

Old
12-14-2004, 02:24 PM
mercury

As a Flyers fan, I am very happy with Carter's development, and with the 2003 draft overall.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:25 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

for hte most part, i agree with everyone here. brown is the safer pick, carter is the higher upside. both are great picks and both will add a lot to the team. hard to nitpick between these two players and hard for me to say i'd rathe rhave carter then brown at this point.

Old
12-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Brock

First and foremost, like most here, I agree that you can't go wrong with either. I've always been a fan of both.

However, I've always been the bigger fan of Jeff Carter. Carter is nearly the perfect prospect, if you ask me. He's fast, he's strong, he's big, he's got great hands, he can dangle with the best of em, he's a solid playmaker. Essentially, Carter is the perfect offensive weapon for todays NHL. However, Carter has also evolved physically and mentally. He's become quite the good leader and his defensive play has improved, as has his consistency level.

I think Jeff's destined for a first line job in the NHL as a possible top 10 centerman in the NHL. I'm not so sure Dustin's potential is that high.

Old
12-14-2004, 05:13 PM
BuppY

If they both reach their potential, who whould want Carter=Sundin or Brown=Healthy Deadmarsh. I'd take Carter

Old
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
It Kills Me

I'd take Carter, higher potential.

Old
12-14-2004, 05:42 PM
willie

A tough question. As a Kings fan, I can't complain at all about Brown's development and would not trade him straight up for Carter. That said, it is a very tough question.

I would like to point out one thing that I feel needs to be emphasized.

As good as Carter has been playing this season and last, he is only playing junior hockey. He's a man among boys. If Brown had been in the CHL the past two years, we would be hearing the same rave reviews. (and he very well may have led Guelph to a Memorial Cup championship) I would suggest what Brown is doing this season (putting up better than a ppg in the AHL) is more impressive than what Carter is doing right now.

We should have a much clearer picture after Carter has played a couple years of professional hockey.

Old
12-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Agree. Good post.

Old
12-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Kings16

Second that. Good post.

I too am a Kings fan and am very happy with Brown. He has surprised everyone by showing he's ready for the NHL so soon.

Carter isn't there yet - but I thought he was by far Canada's best player at last year's WJC. I think Carter will take longer to develop and I'm concerned with what the "Bobby Clarke" affect will have on his development.

I think that the Kings will handle Brown better than Philly will handle Carter - thus I expect Brown to have the better career.

Old
12-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings16
I think Carter will take longer to develop and I'm concerned with what the "Bobby Clarke" affect will have on his development.

I think that the Kings will handle Brown better than Philly will handle Carter - thus I expect Brown to have the better career.
Let's hear some examples of Bobby Clarke negatively impacting some of his young player's careers. Eric Lindros is not sufficient evidence, either.

I'm really interested in who has been affected by the "Bobby Clarke" "affect."

Closed Thread