HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF Game 5: 5/7/12 7:30 EDT: THE NEW YORK RANGERS Vs. Mystery, Alaska Capitals

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
it would appear that the coach who choses he lineup doesnt want erskine or orlov in the game. i suppose its possible that both mcphee and hunter are just butt dumb and cant see what anyone with eyes can see, which is wideman isnt an nhl player and the two defensemen that cant get in the lineup are both better.
Wideman has been on the ice for 40% of the even strength goals we have allowed. He has lost us games all by himself.

The more reasonable explanation behind his icetime is his London roots, not some sort of magic that only NHL executives can ascertain.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Are people really not noticing how awful Wideman really is? Good lord, it's not a matter of "maybe he would do better than Wideman". I'd rather have Garrett Haar out there.
have you noticed that the coach sees it differently?

Old
05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end.
Let me save you the suspense, it will be for ill.

Gollum is probably better in his own end than Wideman these days.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Wideman has been on the ice for 40% of the even strength goals we have allowed. He has lost us games all by himself.
ok....and? he could kill any nhl team's cup chances with enough ice time. he is doom in a sweater.

fine. hunter is still running him out there.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
um

you guys need to take it easy on wideman, he sucks we all know it but he is what he is

Old
05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

The more reasonable explanation behind his icetime is his London roots, not some sort of magic that only NHL executives can ascertain.
Oh come on....you can't really believe one guy has lost GAMES....by himself.

It's a team game. There's ALWAYS plenty of blame to go around.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Wideman has made some mistakes. He also hasn't played nearly as poorly as people are claiming. I'm not really a fan of his game, but he hasn't been nearly the liability people are suggesting. Wideman has been responsible for some goals against. Jeff Schultz was on for 50 more GF than GA in '09-'10; was he responsible for all of those GF?

Old
05-07-2012, 02:37 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The simple truth is that Wideman isn't as bad as his detratctors would have everyone believe. Some people have grudges against players and Wideman has clearly lost a few regulars here.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
funny. round two stanley cup playoffs. tied 2-2. game 5 in a couple of hours. here? arguing about the suck factor of the team. typical. sad.
Geez. People are arguing about the suck factor of #6, not the team. The hyperbole is strong in this one.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
have you noticed that the coach sees it differently?
He also sees Ovechkin as a 8 and a half minute per game forward. Apparently Hunter is completely reinventing the @#%&ing wheel and playing a turtle game, which is winning because we have a streaking goalie.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Wideman is about as advertised. Were Boston fans sad to see him go?

He may need Hammer as a partner more than Green.

He always gets "the lemon"

In the right pairing he like any dman will do much better. His problem this spring is his offense is not offsetting defensive liabilities common with PMD's. I don't know if the stats back it but think vs Boston he was facing quality opposition, mostly dragging Sarge around. I think Wideman has done better than Sarge.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old
05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I believe Wideman was retained for 4 obvious reasons.

Because George wanted insurance for how well Mike Green would respond to injury. Because contenders don't sell, because the market sucked, and because he covets puck movers.

Wideman is pretty much Wideman as advertised when we got him, right? He just exceeded expectations this fall. While there was a window to sell "high", it was not a priority to George. He doesn't sell on the high's very often.
There are about 7 Wideman haters who need to read this over and over again until they GET IT.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Wideman has made some mistakes. He also hasn't played nearly as poorly as people are claiming. I'm not really a fan of his game, but he hasn't been nearly the liability people are suggesting. Wideman has been responsible for some goals against. Jeff Schultz was on for 50 more GF than GA in '09-'10; was he responsible for all of those GF?
I'm pretty sure the "-" in +/- is more telling than the "+" when it comes to evaluating a defenseman and DWide is a walking ****ing minus.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
txpd

have the caps lost the game....the series yet? this is hilarious.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
There are about 7 Wideman haters who need to read this over and over again until they GET IT.
A bottom pairing making like 6 million dollars combined?! Oh baby, how did I not see the awesomeness before?!

Old
05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
have the caps lost the game....the series yet? this is hilarious.
You're overreacting and you know it.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'm more concerned about Johansson being a liability and weak link given his role than Wideman at this point. Wideman hasn't been strong but Johansson, esp. in this series so far, has been worse. His play hasn't been as costly but as far as pulling his weight he has really struggled in a role that he may not be cut out for. I'd at least think about seeing what Ward could do with Johansson's minutes.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
You're overreacting and you know it.
this is a game day thread for a really big game. the last page and a half is wideman/mcphee bashing as if the game is an afterthought. its still hilarious.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
A bottom pairing making like 6 million dollars combined?! Oh baby, how did I not see the awesomeness before?!

Take that up with McPhee. I don't think anyone likes that price for a bottom pair.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the "-" in +/- is more telling than the "+" when it comes to evaluating a defenseman and DWide is a walking ****ing minus.
Holtby's been on for all 20 ESGA. They're all his fault.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I'm more concerned about Johansson being a liability and weak link given his role than Wideman at this point. Wideman hasn't been strong but Johansson, esp. in this series so far, has been worse. His play hasn't been as costly but as far as pulling his weight he has really struggled in a role that he may not be cut out for. I'd at least think about seeing what Ward could do with Johansson's minutes.
Mojo has just been so bad.....so fragile when he's got the puck. Coughs it up like a madman. He's got to get stronger. I think we'll see a big difference in his game once he fills out.

Old
05-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

the difference is, mojo has backstrom to cover up his alarmingly dogchit play. wideman has...jeff schultz. awesome.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

MJ needs to get rid of the puck much sooner. And like Aucoin, stay off the boards as much as possible, and let the big bodies do their thing. He needs space. While he did rack up a bunch of hits it seems to have slowed.

Something not really touched on, is that Dale seems to stick with his lines. He doesn't shuffle the deck in the 2nd period because we are losing 1-0. Sure he has done some changes SOB sightings etc, but he is not re-inventing the lines every time we are down a goal. He is keeping calm and sticking to the plan. Which includes MJ in a top 6 role.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
this is a game day thread for a really big game. the last page and a half is wideman/mcphee bashing as if the game is an afterthought. its still hilarious.
Right on que ain't it ?

Some would like Sloan back over wideman I take it.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
As a big MoJo fan it pains me to say it, but he hasn't looked good out there. I'd even consider giving MP a jersey over him to see if #85 can provided his patented "I've been out of the lineup for a while and will somehow score 3 goals in the next 5 games" spark.

Closed Thread