HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tentative deal in place for Coyotes sale to Jamison?

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Tentative deal in place for Coyotes sale to Jamison?

First reported by the Phoenix Business Journal:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395274

Quote:
FOX 10 News in Phoenix and the Phoenix Business Journal report that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is in Glendale, Ariz., to announce a tentative agreement has been struck.
Edit: Link to original PBJ article here

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 05-07-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old
05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Thanks, i heard this mentioned on the radio this morning but didn't catch everything about it.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:20 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

The Devil will be in the details on this one. Is the CoG in the loop or is this a pressure play by the NHL and Jamison? If all three parties are in the loop will the deal be clean or have sweeteners and if so will it be Goldwater proof?

I have to admit since last spring I have only watched this saga with passing interest.....It just feels like not much has actually happened and I have gotten deal fatigue. Now that we have fresh news I will plug back in for what might be the final push one way or the other.

Edit: just read the PBJ link hank included and it looks like there will be an arena management fee at a minimum so this deal will have some hair on it.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

vCash: 50
Get the popcorn out, should be entertaining.

I'm expecting this will be a ploy to turn up the heat on the CoG. If they don't sign the most one sided lease in history the NHL will move the team and pin the blame on the council.

It's the Bettman way my friends.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Either way this saga has to end. It's been hard on the players, I'm sure the fans want the team to stay, and it looks horrible on the league.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
The Devil will be in the details on this one. Is the CoG in the loop or is this a pressure play by the NHL and Jamison? If all three parties are in the loop will the deal be clean or have sweeteners and if so will it be Goldwater proof?

I have to admit since last spring I have only watched this saga with passing interest.....It just feels like not much has actually happened and I have gotten deal fatigue. Now that we have fresh news I will plug back in for what might be the final push one way or the other.

Edit: just read the PBJ link hank included and it looks like there will be an arena management fee at a minimum so this deal will have some hair on it.
It's hard to know what and who to believe in this saga, but it seems as though CoG has been working closely with Jamison to ensure the deal will pass muster with GWI. Article from April:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392867

Quoting for emphasis:

Quote:
Sources also told The Phoenix Business Journal that the NHL is ready to finalize a deal with Jamison once an arena lease with Glendale is approved.
So the finalizing will be in the form of CoG vote on May 22nd, and you're absolutely right, the devil will be in the details of this arena management fee. Whether CoG feels the benefit of retaining the Coyotes as an anchor tenant outweighs the problem of going further in debt, and whether GWI deems the deal to be in violation of the AZ gift clause.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Guys, please keep this thread on the topic of the deal and it's specifics. Any mention of the viability of the Coyotes, why they left Winnipeg, blah blah blah will be deleted. Thanks.

05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 867
I don't see the team staying there unless the new owner is given an opt-out clause after a few years. The GWI has any new deal red-flagged from the start - they'll likely have to prove that the arena management fee is competitive with deals elsewhere and in that case it won't provide much help.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

There is no way I am falling for this again. I will believe the deal is done when it is signed, sealed, delivered, and approved by GWI.

Following the Coyotes through so many of these deals teaches you to take every 'announcement' with a grain of salt.

Having said that, you would hope that the parties involved would have learned something from the last 3 near sales and do something that will pass the Goldwater smell test. I guess we will see.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:05 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
honestly i hope the Coyotes stay in Phoenix...way to many east coast teams the NHL needs markets like Arizona in the west

Old
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Fool me once (Reinsdorf), shame on you.
Fool me twice (Ice Edge Holdings), shame on me.
Fool me thrice (Hulsizer), shame Glendale.
Fool me fourice (Jamison), shame on Bettman.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Interesting timing.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:22 PM
WaveRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Get the popcorn out, should be entertaining.

I'm expecting this will be a ploy to turn up the heat on the CoG. If they don't sign the most one sided lease in history the NHL will move the team and pin the blame on the council.

It's the Bettman way my friends.
I agree I believe that's the ploy here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
There is no way I am falling for this again. I will believe the deal is done when it is signed, sealed, delivered, and approved by GWI.

Following the Coyotes through so many of these deals teaches you to take every 'announcement' with a grain of salt.

Having said that, you would hope that the parties involved would have learned something from the last 3 near sales and do something that will pass the Goldwater smell test. I guess we will see.
What I want to see how the whole GWI thing plays out shouild they come to an agreement. Will they sue ? Will they just sabre rattle ? Would sabre rattling scare investors away ?

I must admit I am a Coyote Hater though I try not let that come through ... I can't help it, I loved the Jets and I am still bitter

Old
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
ghost88*

Aren't they losing around 20-25million a year?

Yikes... I wonder if this guy is making the purchase with his heart and not his head. It would take an absolute miracle to turn that franchise into a profitable business in its current location.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
tntkid

I won't believe anything until all the contracts are signed.
If the Coyotes were not doing so well in the playoffs right now there would be zero talk of any owner willing to lose millions of dollars to keep a team in Arizona.

It seems more like a move to motivate fan attendance & the Coyotes to play better in the playoffs.

It is setting poor example to other failing franchises that they could they could have poor attendance & lose millions & not have to worry about relocation.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost88 View Post
Aren't they losing around 20-25million a year?

Yikes... I wonder if this guy is making the purchase with his heart and not his head. It would take an absolute miracle to turn that franchise into a profitable business in its current location.
More like 35-40 million, last year they took the whole 25 million arena management and still lost a pile on top of that.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Crazed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I don't see the team staying there unless the new owner is given an opt-out clause after a few years. The GWI has any new deal red-flagged from the start - they'll likely have to prove that the arena management fee is competitive with deals elsewhere and in that case it won't provide much help.
I was thinking the exact same thing, or at least able to relocate. Easy to look viable in a legitimate Stanley Cup run... but 5 years down the road they could easily be in a similar situation. truth is, selling "72%" of your tickets is not going to be a money maker.

Hopefully they can stick around a while. I absolutely hate this franchise, and would love a rivalry with them.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
With all honesty, I stopped really paying attention to what was going on down there after we got a team in Winnipeg.

Gathering my thoughts now I hope the deal does go through for them. Everyone says they're worthy of it, they sell out their playoff games and I'm happy for 'em.'

I just hope they support this team when times are lean. Right now they have a decent team on the up-swing, if they truly want to keep what they have they need to support the product on the ice 100% of the time. Hopefully after this entire fiasco with the NHL owning the team and all the CoG council and Goldwater crap the fans don't take their team for granted.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:59 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Ironic

Winnipeg gets NHL back and the Yotes finally have playoff success all in the same year

Old
05-07-2012, 07:40 PM
gholas
UnRegistered UnUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Interesting timing.
easy bet for PHX to lose tonight

Old
05-07-2012, 08:47 PM
jimmycrackcorn

This is a fair question - how many season tickets will Bettman mandate be sold to support the new owner? My guess - there will be no mandate. Because it would NEVER be met.

Double standard anyone?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 05-07-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: mod edit
Old
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
This is a fair question - how many season tickets will Bettman mandate be sold to support the new owner? My guess - there will be no mandate. Because it would NEVER be met.

Double standard anyone?

Quoted for truth. Winnipeg had to sell 13,000 season tickets for three years. Phoenix can't even sell 13,000 tickets for a single game.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Anyone have a link to watch on NHL.com?

edit - found it - http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...id=DL|PHX|home

05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Double standard anyone?

How so? Unless you're buying in to conspiracies, the 13K drive wasn't mandated by the NHL but rather by TNSE. A similar drive by Jamison in Phoenix would actually make a lot of sense, but I doubt it will happen.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:

Double standard anyone?

That is to move a franchise not keep one.

Closed Thread