HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who would you be ok with DW moving

View Poll Results: Who would you be ok with DW dealing
Thornton 11 8.66%
Marleau 80 62.99%
Pavelski 27 21.26%
Havlat 20 15.75%
Clowe 91 71.65%
Vlasic 12 9.45%
Boyle 71 55.91%
Burns 5 3.94%
Murray 108 85.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
WSS11

vCash: 772
Who would you be ok with DW moving

Now that the owners have given DW their vote of confidence and his jobs safe, you can probably count on him making one more desperate attempt at a cup. We all know that DW is notorious for bringing in talent in via trade and not FA. My question to you guys is simple.. NMC/NTC aside, of our top 6 F (not including Couture) and top D, who would you support DW dealing this off season in his attempt clear cap space and in making the changes necessary to improve this team?

WSS11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS11 View Post
Now that the owners have given DW their vote of confidence and his jobs safe, you can probably count on him making one more desperate attempt at a cup. We all know that DW is notorious for bringing in talent in via trade and not FA. My question to you guys is simple.. NMC/NTC aside, of our top 6 F (not including Couture) and top D, who would you support DW dealing this off season in his attempt clear cap space and in making the changes necessary to improve this team?
Clowe -> For a speedy winger or Top Prospect + Pick
Boyle -> Only if we can pick Suter (pipe dream) or a good offensive defenseman
Murray -> He is way too slow. Picks.
Demers -> Picks/Forward Prospect(s)

05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Trojan35

vCash: 500
Marleau/Havlat - Can't move these guys as the top 6 is already too slow. Sharks lost to the Blues because they looked old and slow.
Thornton - Can't move him because the return won't make up for his two-way play.
Couture - Keep - Potential.
Vlasic - I think he's worth more than he'd return. Sharks really fall apart when he's not in the lineup.
Burns - Keep - Potential.

Everyone else I'm ok with assuming real value is coming back. Would like to keep Clowe because his skillset is rare, but at some point we have to give to get especially if we want to add some RFA's of value.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Clowe, Murray, Boyle and assuming the price is right Marleau (doubtful due to NMC), and Pavelski (Love him, but his value is probably as high as it will ever be.)

I don't want DW to give Pavelski away because he would feel like he needs to get rid of him though. I would want him to trade him assuming we upgrade the team in a substantial way.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
kluu

Clowe has more votes than Marleau.... sad...

kluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:52 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

Marleau. He'd net a Richards/Carter-esque return which would probably singlehandedly revitalize our lineup.

Oh wait, what's that? He's got a NMC?

Well, we're done here.

Murray for picks and we'll see the same team next year with Stuart on the back-end and a healthy Havlat as the only real change. That'll be good enough for 2nd in the division behind LA and potentially a 2nd-round appearance.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad with that kind of predicability.

RammsteinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:55 PM
WTFetus

Clowe, Boyle, and Murray definitely.

Marleau and Pavelski depending on how good the return is. If you get someone like Sharp back, then I'm all for it.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:56 PM
NathanCouture
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Marleau/Havlat - Can't move these guys as the top 6 is already too slow. Sharks lost to the Blues because they looked old and slow.
I agree that we are too slow, but when was the last time that Marleau's speed was a factor? Just saying that speed that doesn't contribute to goals/defense is wasted speed.

NathanCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahddanmit View Post
I agree that we are too slow, but when was the last time that Marleau's speed was a factor? Just saying that speed that doesn't contribute to goals/defense is wasted speed.
The emphasis on possession this year virtually eliminated individual speed as a factor in scoring for the Sharks. In that sense I understand the rhetorical question. Marleau is substantially less useful given the Sharks play of the last season. Unfortunately, part of the correction to their issues is in utilizing the individual speed more.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
do0glas

I'd agree about marleau. Unless tmac changes his system to better utilize his speed then we can do better and set ourselves up in the future.

Players that are more explosively quick on their first step In a possession game are more desirable if the game plan stays the same.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I'd agree about marleau. Unless tmac changes his system to better utilize his speed then we can do better and set ourselves up in the future.

Players that are more explosively quick on their first step In a possession game are more desirable if the game plan stays the same.
The problem is that only one team in recent history (post-lockout) has parlayed the system into a win. And that team has more recently tried to open up their game while TM has been closing down the game of the Sharks.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:50 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
accidentally voted. meant to pick everyone except Pavelski and Marleau

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:35 PM
lsx

Marleau, Niemi, and the coaches.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Hard to speak in generalizations because you don't know whats coming back. There are some who are unmoveable. In that group I would place Pavelski, Burns, Thornton, Vlasic, and Courure. Marleau, Clowe and Braun are not likely to move, but there is a chance. Players who could more are the usual suspects.

05-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
accidentally voted. meant to pick everyone except Pavelski and Marleau

Couture? Vlasic? Burns? You're ok with dealing any one of them?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
SJeasy

Everyone should be mentioning the purpose of their moves. Is it a rebuild? Is it a tweak believing that the window is still open?

My take is that the keepers on a rebuild are guys who have the character to work with young players on improving their games. The guys who won't give up/let up if the team results tank for 2-4 years. They may very well be giving up their chance at a cup.

If it is a tweak, it needs to be a precise move or a couple of moves with no more if you really think the Sharks are close. Massive moves tend to take time to yield a cup result.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
I just don't think we're going to be a contender next season like we have been for the past four years. So in that case, the three players I would absolutely not trade are Couture, Burns, and Vlasic. Neither would I trade Havlat, Pavelski, or Marleau. JT only if there's the classical "overpayment" (as in, more than we gave up to get him. ). Murray is as good as gone as far as I'm concerned. I won't be at all upset if Niemi is traded or Clowe. Demers or Braun, only if it's in a package for a young top-6 winger (JVR, etc). Boyle, only if we can pick up another good defenseman (because Braun/UFA does not sound like a good 2nd pair to me) like if we trade Clowe for a defenseman, and then Boyle for a forward, etc. But I would not shop Boyle, like I felt like doing in the immediate aftermath of elimination.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
bizdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Everyone should be mentioning the purpose of their moves. Is it a rebuild? Is it a tweak believing that the window is still open?

My take is that the keepers on a rebuild are guys who have the character to work with young players on improving their games. The guys who won't give up/let up if the team results tank for 2-4 years. They may very well be giving up their chance at a cup.

If it is a tweak, it needs to be a precise move or a couple of moves with no more if you really think the Sharks are close. Massive moves tend to take time to yield a cup result.
Much of this depends on the coaching staff and the org's on-ice philosophy for next year but I'd be, for now, flexible in the direction I'd ultimately take. If I'm DW, I entertain and explore all potential offers; then weigh the sum whole of the best moves possible on the radar screen.

Nobody is untouchable.

For example, gather and then assess all the smaller tweak moves and larger wholesale trades or swaps. If we go with a complete or staggered rebuild what kind of opportunity exists now to cash in our current for future assets this offseason? If it's not there this offseason, we don't do it. But if an amazing deal or set of deals opens up, I get ready to pull the trigger.

Perhaps a smaller overhaul of proven players to better mix and match character and skillsets our team needs without a complete rebuild is available- like moving a Marleau for a Sharp or a Clowe/Murray for a more agile replacement is the only thing in the cards. I make those moves.

Basically, survey the landscape. If the long term value isn't there, then just tweak or do a swap here and there with character being more important than skillset. If the long term value is there in one big or a combination of deals- go rebuild.

In either case, I do not trade away picks or developing youth unless they're a goaltender or would otherwise fetch a King's Ransom.

bizdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:43 PM
TealTownUSA

marleau, murray, clowe.

though i have a feeling that demers would shine in another system. i'd hate to see that happen, but i'd move him for a 2nd rounder or a solid 3rd liner.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
unchibaka

Murray, Clowe, Marleau.

unchibaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:15 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
I polled Murray only, but I think virtually every team in the league would love to have him, and all the rest. I'm continually suprised at people wanting to get rid of Pavelski, Clowe and Marleau. Do you honestly think SJ would be better without them?
Pavs is future Capt imho
Clowe is a beast
Marleau scores...a lot!

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Clowe Me

Murray, Clowe, Marleau (won't happen, though), on the fence with Boyle.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
StalockSuperfan

I'm ok with moving anyone on the roster but Couture, Vlasic, and Burns in order to get younger and faster.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Iron Chef

Murray is the only person for me as of now. I think other teams would love to have him and the return would justify trading him now. Everyone else, tough for me to say because I have no idea if they plan to overhaul the fundamentals of our system, or just the PK. I'm in the camp that you decide on the system, then build your team around that.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
do0glas

The window is still there. I think you exhaust this window.

If the value of marleau is too good to pass up, try to get him to wave, otherwise you keep him JT and Boyle

Limit boyles minutes, shelter JT a bit, give marleau the 2nd line.

Try to add by moving clowe and Murray if you can. We need the tween scenario back and a scoring third line.

Obviously tweaks need to happen to the system. Possession is good, but flexibility definitely helps.

Was vlasic really ready for the top pairing? Would burns vlasic work out better against top competition. Boyle/demers in the second line. Try to acquire Stuart.

We should reasonably be able to expect a 50 PT return from a healthy clowe. If the staff doesn't see it, move him. I'd rather give marleau and whoever a really solid F1 like wingels for the season than have a 30-40 PT clowe on the second line.

4th line of winnik-desjardins-wingels us the only thing I'm sure of in the bottom six.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote