HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who would you be ok with DW moving

View Poll Results: Who would you be ok with DW dealing
Thornton 11 8.66%
Marleau 80 62.99%
Pavelski 27 21.26%
Havlat 20 15.75%
Clowe 91 71.65%
Vlasic 12 9.45%
Boyle 71 55.91%
Burns 5 3.94%
Murray 108 85.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
This team has a fever, and the only prescription is less Marleau.
more like this board.

I honestly feel anybody could be moved if it helps the team....Couture and Burns would fetch an astronomical return....it just wont happen.
I wouldn't mind trading Vlasic for some speed and depth on the wings and then go and try to sign Stuart and Carle

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Eighth Fret

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Errrr, that was less "mentorship".

And another thing about the Briere situation, his kids are all old enough to be fairly self-sufficient. Most of the older Sharks have babies or toddlers or both.
True, on 24/7 I think he actually joked that Couturier gets along great with his daughter because they're not too far apart in years lol.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Odd notes.

IIRC, Briere has 3 kids. From what I have seen Boyle isn't doing it. Blake was. Not saying Bernier/Patty was the best partnership, but at least there was effort there.
Is that something team management can ask a player to do? I agree that it's important, but just not sure how Briere took them all in. I think taking in Giroux was a bit of a blip as Briere had just recently gotten divorced and it helped him to have a friend in his house as much as it helped Giroux being close to a vet.

I would hope that someone is taking Wingels under their wing. He seems like a really bright kid who will eventually find his place in the NHL, but if Thornton or Marleau could fastrack that by mentoring him, it would be ideal.

I was a little disappointed to see Clowe out on party night with Demers. I feel like Demers is at a real crossroads in his career where he could either realize his potential or not.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
rangerssharks414

Clowe and Murray

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eighth Fret View Post
True, on 24/7 I think he actually joked that Couturier gets along great with his daughter because they're not too far apart in years lol.
I know the long hair was confusing, but Briere has three sons.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
I know the long hair was confusing, but Briere has three sons.
LOL. Woopsie. That makes a lot more sense as to why they'd get along.

Briere - if you're reading this you have a fine young BOY.

Last edited by Eighth Fret: 05-08-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 01:49 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Is that something team management can ask a player to do? I agree that it's important, but just not sure how Briere took them all in. I think taking in Giroux was a bit of a blip as Briere had just recently gotten divorced and it helped him to have a friend in his house as much as it helped Giroux being close to a vet.

I would hope that someone is taking Wingels under their wing. He seems like a really bright kid who will eventually find his place in the NHL, but if Thornton or Marleau could fastrack that by mentoring him, it would be ideal.

I was a little disappointed to see Clowe out on party night with Demers. I feel like Demers is at a real crossroads in his career where he could either realize his potential or not.
It doesn't have to be live-in, but at least close association. I am pretty sure some of the Pronger effect on teams is Pronger keeping stuff down to a dull roar generally rather than working with specific players. Not as effective when he is injured and I suspect a heavy hand which has played into his movement. Lavi did pretty well in Carolina and there were pair ups on that team like Staal/Brindy which may not have been live-in.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
What makes you say that?
Bernier was definitely a player with attitude and work ethic issues. Marleau may not have been the best "solution" to that problem.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
OrrNumber4

Didn't know about Roenick and Mitchell/Setoguchi. Though of course correlation does not imply causation, that makes me uneasy consider how both players are doing.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 01:55 PM
5H4RK5

I love our team every year but what I see from the cup contenders is chemistry and leadership. Lines 1-4 clicking, when the going gets tough someone steps up. We need more step up players and I will trade anyone on the roster as long as it makes us better and fits our system thus chemistry and finding a leader to push us will get us to that stanley cup.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 03:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Didn't know about Roenick and Mitchell/Setoguchi. Though of course correlation does not imply causation, that makes me uneasy consider how both players are doing.
I think they were the type anyway, but it's a little concerning to me. And then the influence that those two were on Demers.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
It doesn't have to be live-in, but at least close association. I am pretty sure some of the Pronger effect on teams is Pronger keeping stuff down to a dull roar generally rather than working with specific players. Not as effective when he is injured and I suspect a heavy hand which has played into his movement. Lavi did pretty well in Carolina and there were pair ups on that team like Staal/Brindy which may not have been live-in.
Ah, got it.

I think you may be on to something there. I don't know exactly what happened in the offseason, but something seemed off to me all season in player interviews. Even in the first half of the season when we were doing alright and ripped off some winning streaks, the boys never seemed to be themselves in interviews. Clowe looked/sounded distant, Thornton wasn't cracking jokes like we're used to, Couture rarely smiled, and Pavs (who usually has a pretty good poker face) seemed to be visibly frustrated the entire season. Overall, I just kept getting the sense that something wasn't quite right in the dressing room. Maybe it was the departure of some of the glue guys or some sort of rift, but mentorship, or lack of it could be a factor in that.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Ah, got it.

I think you may be on to something there. I don't know exactly what happened in the offseason, but something seemed off to me all season in player interviews. Even in the first half of the season when we were doing alright and ripped off some winning streaks, the boys never seemed to be themselves in interviews. Clowe looked/sounded distant, Thornton wasn't cracking jokes like we're used to, Couture rarely smiled, and Pavs (who usually has a pretty good poker face) seemed to be visibly frustrated the entire season. Overall, I just kept getting the sense that something wasn't quite right in the dressing room. Maybe it was the departure of some of the glue guys or some sort of rift, but mentorship, or lack of it could be a factor in that.
Definitely. Clowe and Couture didn't seem to have any sort of "connection" like we'd seen last season, and there was definitely something off about Pavs. Frustration is definitely plausible. Maybe he didn't like playing wing because he's just not a winger.

As for Thornton, he stopped cracking so many jokes and doing shirtless interviews after he became captain. I didn't notice much of a difference, but there was something off about this team. I hope they can fix it. Part of it I think was that Seto and Heater were two of the most fun-loving guys, so maybe that had an effect. I know Pavs and Scotty were good friends, maybe that was a thing.

Bottom line is, most of us have no idea what went on or why the guys were acting so strangely (although I'll speak for myself), but we can only hope that it's resolved.

Old
05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Hold the Pickles

Voted: Marleau, Clowe, Murray
Bubble: Boyle, Pavs

I would only move Boyle if we got a long-term replacement (Suter) or We get an offer you don't refuse, but you almost certainly don't get anyway.

For Pavs, the trade would have to make complete sense--He's just too versatile, just a little small and slow. I'd be more OK with dealing him if Couture had fewer injuries. Pavs and Couture are of the same mold with Couture having the higher ceiling.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:09 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
As for Thornton, he stopped cracking so many jokes and doing shirtless interviews after he became captain.
He stopped doing shirtless interviews after someone asked him why he always does shirtless interviews.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He stopped doing shirtless interviews after someone asked him why he always does shirtless interviews.
Naw, he'd been asked that for years. Maybe it was the year before, but I think it was just him maturing and taking leadership seriously.

EDIT: Nvm, that was creepy.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Naw, he'd been asked that for years. Maybe it was the year before, but I think it was just him maturing and taking leadership seriously.

EDIT: Nvm, that was creepy.
I think it was after Roenick yelled at him "JOE PUT YOUR SHIRT ON, YOUR SCARING THE CHILDREN!"

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Man in the Mirror

voted marleau, pavelski, clowe, boyle, havlat, murray, vlasic

Man in the Mirror is offline   Reply With Quote