HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: Do or Die (or Both, or Neither)

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2012, 03:54 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Care to elaborate or was this a drive by?
He didn't like the FB page I posted a link to either. I just like to support anything against GWI. It doesn't matter to me that they aren't going to hurt them.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Because this is FAR beyond a public, and sad petition.. I'm sorry, we've been down this road already.

Old
06-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Coyotes Cluster**** Thread: Same Bull****, different two weeks.

New thread title.

Old
06-15-2012, 05:06 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
C&P from the BoH thread - for those of you playing judge at home.

Links to GWI filings and a lawyer's (CasualFan) read on the docs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
CF commentary in the 13 June, Goldwater files suit thread - post #39.
Note that CF has updated his analysis - finding case law that the "designation of emergency" is the prerogative of the city council and not reviewable by the court.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=139

Old
06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

New thread title.
I support this.

06-15-2012, 05:26 PM
coyotesfan

Ownership Thread: Same old S*** just a different day

Old
06-15-2012, 05:37 PM
ScottsdaleYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Note that CF has updated his analysis - finding case law that the "designation of emergency" is the prerogative of the city council and not reviewable by the court.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=139
This is a really big deal, and if the judge agrees then all the Bolick Institute of Ambulance Chasers (I refuse to call them Goldwater anymore) will have is the contempt charge. I can't believe that the remedy would be to invalidate the result even if judge finds for Bolick.

Last edited by ScottsdaleYote: 06-15-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old
06-15-2012, 07:19 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
You honestly believe an online petition is going convince GWI to remove its suit? Or convince a judge they're just bad people?

He was talking reality.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:02 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
You honestly believe an online petition is going convince GWI to remove its suit? Or convince a judge they're just bad people?

He was talking reality.
A man can dream. If two nitwits can get GWI to sue in their behalf, why not?

Old
06-15-2012, 08:16 PM
ScarTroy

How's it looking for you guys staying? I live in Az during the season because of school and can't wait to go to more games. Hopefully my Ducks don't get completely demolished next time i go to a game between the two.

Old
06-15-2012, 08:18 PM
yotesreign

AP suggested new thread title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I support this.

Ditto.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarTroy View Post
How's it looking for you guys staying? I live in Az during the season because of school and can't wait to go to more games. Hopefully my Ducks don't get completely demolished next time i go to a game between the two.
Who knows any more? Things are more positive than they have been in a long time - we have someone who wants to own the team, we have a city that has voted to lease the arena to the team, Daly has said that the plans for next season are being made up with the team being in Phoenix.

And then we have a bunch of yahoos at the GWI who want to sabotage the whole deal.

To hear Jamison, Clark, Bettman et all speak, they are not particularly concerned about the GWI this time around. Clark has gone so far as to tell the GWI to 'bring it on.'

But one never knows for sure. I don't think I am alone in saying that I will not be 100% certain that the deal is a done deal until the NHL makes the announcement that the deal has been signed, the lease is done, and the team is here to stay. And even then...I won't truly believe it until I am sitting in section 205, row E, seat 5 on the opening night of the 2012-13 season.

Old
06-15-2012, 09:49 PM
ScarTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Who knows any more? Things are more positive than they have been in a long time - we have someone who wants to own the team, we have a city that has voted to lease the arena to the team, Daly has said that the plans for next season are being made up with the team being in Phoenix.

And then we have a bunch of yahoos at the GWI who want to sabotage the whole deal.

To hear Jamison, Clark, Bettman et all speak, they are not particularly concerned about the GWI this time around. Clark has gone so far as to tell the GWI to 'bring it on.'

But one never knows for sure. I don't think I am alone in saying that I will not be 100% certain that the deal is a done deal until the NHL makes the announcement that the deal has been signed, the lease is done, and the team is here to stay. And even then...I won't truly believe it until I am sitting in section 205, row E, seat 5 on the opening night of the 2012-13 season.
Yea, this just seems like it has been dragging on way too long, and the Yotes aren't even my team, so I can't imagine how it is for you guys.

Do you have season tickets for 205, if so how much were they? I looked on the website, but couldn't find prices for the whole season, only the infographic with the price range per game. Me and a few buddies went to a few games and sat in 208 and loved it, so i was thinking of getting season tickets or one at least one of the packs.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Let's look at remedies for a moment. The contempt accusation has real bite. The other stuff is fluff and won't go anywhere.

If COG is found in contempt of court, what would the judge do to remedy the situation?
Fine the COG? perhaps
Demand an impartial observer to review all COG documents going forward?
Overturn the vote?

My guess is that it would be a draconian move to overturn the COG vote based on the contempt finding.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
yotesreign

Quote:

I'll have to wave to you opening night - same row, but sec 208.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

The ruling cited by GWI in support of their appeal to have the vote nullified is

Johnson v. Tempe Elementary School Dist. No. 3 Governing Bd., 199 Ariz. 567, 570, 20 P.3d 1148, 1151 (App. 2000);

It involves a decision by the Tempe Elementary Board taken in closed, executive session, to take up a "cross-appeal" on an appeal of a case won by GWI against another party and in the process of appeal.

The specifics of the case, particularly the Board's vote in closed session to litigate, is far from the question of whether, and how far, Glendale's actions in not giving GWI timely and complete documentation prior to it's open vote, violated the previous court ruling.

Any action by the judge to invalidate the COG vote would be extreme, and met with an immediate appeal.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:02 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

205 was $15 per game last season, I think it's $18 per game this coming season. Not sure what partial season tickets will be.

Old
06-15-2012, 11:36 PM
ScarTroy

Quote:
205 was $15 per game last season, I think it's $18 per game this coming season. Not sure what partial season tickets will be.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I just love the crying made by the relocationists about how paying for the Coyotes is going to do damage to the city.

"Library hours will be cut."

Libraries all across the globe are becoming obsolete with such inventions as the internet, computers, smartphones, Kindle.
Besides, usually what you see in libraries today are people doing things inside of them that they should not be doing instead. I'd rather those people contribute to society in a positive way by working at a job provided with the help of the Coyotes staying and those same people can use the library the way it is attened to be used when they pay for their schooling at a college out of their own pocket.

"Jobs will be cut."
With the bad economy comes tough times and tough choices that have to be made. Plus if the Coyotes leave, many other jobs will be cut such as the police officer positions at Westgate. You know, the same position that relocationists claim are going to be cut to pay for the Coyotes to stay?

Old
06-16-2012, 09:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I just can't understand why they feel the Coyotes staying will create public spending cuts and job losses. Pretty sure the Coyotes leaving would do the same.

Old
06-16-2012, 01:04 PM

People so rarely look at both sides of an issue, that is why you see such emotional responses on hot topics.

Library Hours and Other Public Services Reduced:
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, True

Employment Decreases in COG:
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, True

The key to the deal is to find issues that are not equal, but people rarely put the time into thinking that out.

Less taxes collected in Westgate and surrounding area:
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, False

Slower return on investment in Glendale Arena (Jobing.com Arena):
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, False

There are lot of issues that result in a positive if the Coyotes stay, but people against them staying prefer to focus on the negatives.

Old
06-16-2012, 02:20 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
People so rarely look at both sides of an issue, that is why you see such emotional responses on hot topics.

Library Hours and Other Public Services Reduced:
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, True

Employment Decreases in COG:
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, True

The key to the deal is to find issues that are not equal, but people rarely put the time into thinking that out.

Less taxes collected in Westgate and surrounding area:
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, False

Slower return on investment in Glendale Arena (Jobing.com Arena):
If Coyotes Leave, True
If Coyotes Stay, False

There are lot of issues that result in a positive if the Coyotes stay, but people against them staying prefer to focus on the negatives.
Because unfortunately, that is what politics have become. Nobody really listens when you say 'this is what I did' or 'this is what I'm going to do' - because we have all learned that campaign promises usually go the way of the dodo after the election. Instead, the focus is on attack ads - and if you can use a negative to attack something, it's always easier to do than to get people listen to the positive benefits.

While I'm here in Hawaii, we've been going to the library 2-3 times per week. Only $10 for a visitor card, good for 3 months. The hours for the branch here are T/TH/FR/ST 10-5, WED 1-8. That's it. And guess what? People live with it. They go to the library between 10am and 5pm, on the four days a week it's open those hours, or if they need go in the evening, they go on Wednesday.

Sure, there have been times when we wanted to go on a Sunday or a Monday. But we somehow, someway, found a way to deal with it. It took a lot of thought, but we finally came up with a solution to our problem. We took a two-pronged approach:
1. Check out enough books to last those two extra days until we could go to the library on Tuesday
2. On Sunday and Monday - do. something. else.

I love, love, love libraries. I've always been one to use the library - I lived across the street from the Tempe library one summer and I think I went every other day. But if the hours need to be cut back, people will adjust. Libraries have NOT always been open 7 days a week, early morning to late night. I remember them being closed on Sundays when I was growing up (I lived in Glendale!). I remember them not being open in the evenings. But now we've grown accustomed to getting whatever we want, whenever we want it.

With so much digital stuff these days, I'm thinking the library usage may be down a bit from in the past. I do have a library card for the Maricopa library system, as well as Phoenix. I can't think of the last time I actually WENT to either library. I check out books online all the time, though. I read them on my iPad. I can't imagine that I'm the only one doing that. So while it's better to NOT make cuts than to make cuts, it's also not the death of civilization as we know it, as you would believe from some of the naysayers.

Old
06-16-2012, 05:34 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Because unfortunately, that is what politics have become. Nobody really listens when you say 'this is what I did' or 'this is what I'm going to do' - because we have all learned that campaign promises usually go the way of the dodo after the election. Instead, the focus is on attack ads - and if you can use a negative to attack something, it's always easier to do than to get people listen to the positive benefits.

While I'm here in Hawaii, we've been going to the library 2-3 times per week. Only $10 for a visitor card, good for 3 months. The hours for the branch here are T/TH/FR/ST 10-5, WED 1-8. That's it. And guess what? People live with it. They go to the library between 10am and 5pm, on the four days a week it's open those hours, or if they need go in the evening, they go on Wednesday.

Sure, there have been times when we wanted to go on a Sunday or a Monday. But we somehow, someway, found a way to deal with it. It took a lot of thought, but we finally came up with a solution to our problem. We took a two-pronged approach:
1. Check out enough books to last those two extra days until we could go to the library on Tuesday
2. On Sunday and Monday - do. something. else.

I love, love, love libraries. I've always been one to use the library - I lived across the street from the Tempe library one summer and I think I went every other day. But if the hours need to be cut back, people will adjust. Libraries have NOT always been open 7 days a week, early morning to late night. I remember them being closed on Sundays when I was growing up (I lived in Glendale!). I remember them not being open in the evenings. But now we've grown accustomed to getting whatever we want, whenever we want it.

With so much digital stuff these days, I'm thinking the library usage may be down a bit from in the past. I do have a library card for the Maricopa library system, as well as Phoenix. I can't think of the last time I actually WENT to either library. I check out books online all the time, though. I read them on my iPad. I can't imagine that I'm the only one doing that. So while it's better to NOT make cuts than to make cuts, it's also not the death of civilization as we know it, as you would believe from some of the naysayers.
Good library systems are a great asset for a community, in a republic*, but they don't need to be open 24/7. The one our family uses most is open 5 days a week, and some days closes at 5p and others closes at 7p. They help families that work and are at least as vital to a community as having an NHL franchise, probably more so. And we go online to reserve the books we need, so when we do go we're just there to drop off and pick up, so we're never there long enough to see all the depravity AP apparently sees in his... or has heard he'd see if he ever stepped foot in his...

* omg I just quoted Clint Bolick ("in a republic")

That said, I want both an NHL franchise and a good library system, and neither has to be open 24/7.

Old
06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
fishbert

For the new thread, how about "Coyotes [REDACTED by court order]ship Thread" ?

Old
06-17-2012, 12:03 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Updated analysis from CF on the BoH board:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=149

Bottom line: There are grounds in statute for voiding the vote if there is an Open Meeting Law violation - but not on the contempt charges. However, comments made by Judges Burke & Cooper in the contempt proceedings definitely leave open that possibility.

Closed Thread