HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Finland (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2012, 07:06 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
Actually yes I would. I really don't want to put Lehtonen in the first USA game, so their players won't get a feeling what works vs him
Erm... the guy's a full time NHL starter, been one for nearly a decade, and the last time I checked, the US team is full of players from a certain league well, I'm not so sure what it was, but I don't think it was Mestis. I think it's pretty safe to say they know quite a bit about him already.

Quote:
He won't get shots anyway. So that game is for Rämö or Vehanen. These 2 should play the next 2 games, I don't really care about the order for first USA game & KAZ. Would be interesting to see if Rämö could shutout USA tho. Lehtonen will make up for the game break by spending little bit more time in the practises. It's better than playing KAZ.
You'd also cause a s*itstorm of a goalie speculation in the Finnish media like never seen before. Sure, the players and team say it doesn't affect them, at least that much, but experience says otherwise.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:00 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

They just announced Finland's lines vs. USA:

Filppula - Koivu - Jokinen
Mäenpää - Hietanen

Pesonen - Immonen - Granlund
Väänänen - Järvinen

Komarov - Kapanen - Joensuu
Niskala - Salmela

Pyörälä - Kontiola - Pihlström
Kukkonen - Jaakola

Lehtonen in net. Vehanen as backup.

Per YLE.

With Kapanen-Kontiola switch, they go back to what they started with. In goal, it's all in Kärppä then. As it should be.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:05 AM
fr9dd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by file View Post
it's called "ievan polkka", an old finnish folk song. It has recently gained some new listeners as a popular internet meme. Several remixes exist.
thanks!!

Edit: do u know by any reasons witch version they are playing? (a) and is it realy that song?

Last edited by fr9dd9: 05-12-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old
05-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Mestaruus

Ok interesting about Lehtonen starting. Jalonen seems to believe SUI or SVK might climb higher than USA in the group and really wants a win from the USA game and he wants to give Lehtonen a chance to reset the Canada game as soon as possible. Those must be the main reasons why Lehtonen plays.

The original plan must've been that Vehanen plays Sunday's USA game as Rämö was the backup goalie vs CAN. So I believe they changed it and want to give Lehtonen that chance to reset the last game. My guess is Rämö is backup Sunday so Vehanen can concentrate for Monday.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Mestaruus

Since you talked about music. Does anyone know what was that music at the end of the 'Leijonatreenit' today on Saturday? It was German and I believe metal.

Old
05-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Hzzz

So Lehtonen will play. I would think that Rauman Lukko-fans are quite angry now

Old
05-12-2012, 08:33 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post

And I actually think it's not our players who are the source of the problems. It's the game plan, or "Meidän Peli", as they put it. It constantly seems to collapse under aggressive forechecking. For example, Sweden and Russia have employed it against us with success earlier in the season. It seems a bit strange Jalonen hasn't made the necessary adjustments already.

Yeah, if that's the case, maybe he doesn't know how to make them. But regardless, I'm still going to believe he's going to figure it out. Partially because I want to believe, partially because well, like someone put it, we really don't have a choice in the matter.

Yeah, tell me about it.

The bigger ice helps against forechecking and at least we didn't make ton of turnovers.

US plays similar style, that game shows a lot.

I hope if things won't work out at that game, he makes some fixes during the game, when it's still not too late.

Haven't you read Sihvonen's articles btw? It can't be the system

Quote:
Ok interesting about Lehtonen starting. Jalonen seems to believe SUI or SVK might climb higher than USA in the group and really wants a win from the USA game and he wants to give Lehtonen a chance to reset the Canada game as soon as possible. Those must be the main reasons why Lehtonen plays.

The original plan must've been that Vehanen plays Sunday's USA game as Rämö was the backup goalie vs CAN. So I believe they changed it and want to give Lehtonen that chance to reset the last game. My guess is Rämö is backup Sunday so Vehanen can concentrate for Monday.
Jalonen apparently has Lehtonen as no.1.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Mestaruus

Quote:
Originally Posted by File View Post
Jalonen apparently has Lehtonen as no.1.
I only said it proves how Jalonen thinks about it. They were going to put Vehanen on goal, but changed it after CAN game. There's no doubt about that. It was most likely based on the CAN game's result. Had we won the CAN game Vehanen would be starting.

Old
05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Mara

Quote:
I only said it proves how Jalonen thinks about it. They were going to put Vehanen on goal, but changed it after CAN game. There's no doubt about that. It was most likely based on the CAN game's result. Had we won the CAN game Vehanen would be starting.
Or, if Lehtonen had played a solid game. He seemed pretty pissed after the game and seems to be a lock for the nmr 1 spot.

Old
05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Many people actually predicted that Lehtonen would play back-to-back even before last night's game. If he is to be the starter (as it appears), it makes all kinds of sense really. At least to some of us.

You quoted the wrong guy in your last post, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr9dd9 View Post
do u know by any reasons witch version they are playing? (a) and is it realy that song?
Like I said, it's a folk song, so anybody can use pretty much as they will, so no keeping track of the versions. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the melody. Just Google it.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
According to Esko Seppänen, Jalonen and Kurri held an extra meeting with Pesonen-Immonen-Granlund after the training session was over: https://twitter.com/#!/EskoSeppanen/...75690493030401

Old
05-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
According to Esko Seppänen, Jalonen and Kurri held an extra meeting with Pesonen-Immonen-Granlund after the training session was over: https://twitter.com/#!/EskoSeppanen/...75690493030401
"Meidän peli" and "Läheltä ylös" is all they need to keep in mind.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Hello, just wanted to point out couple of facts:

You got getzlaf, tavares, skinner, chiken nuget-hopkins and others. This is your A-team

We dont have Selänne, timonen, pitkänen, salo, s.- koivu, t. ruutu, s. vatanen, O. Jokinen, Rinne and many others, this ous our C team.

Im happy thought, that our C team almost beat and outplayed Canada's A team.
NHL sucks and no one cares about NHL playoffs anyway, everyone just hopes the teams drop out of it fast so the palyers in them can join WHC teams.

I dont give a crap about NHL or its playoffs, World Championships are the thing! The victory of it is much bigger. Everyone with common sense knows That Mika "Säkkiveikko" Nieminen is greater legend than for Example Selänne thought, because Selanne only has stanley cup, Nieminen is a freakin World Champion.
Listen, I know your hurt that Team Finland's best choked against Team Canada's C team, but how stupid are you? Canada's defense is horrible. I can not believe they have these 6 guys on the back end. Up front, guys like Burrows, Ladd, Purcell and others have no shot at Sochi. Nugent-Hopkins is still a young guy but unlikely for 2014 along with many others. In North America, this tournament is not even talked about. I came home from work yesterday, and then realized that this game was actually played. The NHL Playoffs in the first round were probably

the best hockey anyone could have witnessed with the epic overtime games. The next best on best is 2014, every team in this tournament lacks its best players, but most European teams have their top players since it matters more to them. It does not matter to North American players. Plain and simple. It would be great if Canada wins, but it is not the end of the world. Unlike your countrymen who were crying after Finland choked a meaningless round robin game in a minor league tournament nobody cares about in North America.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Quote:
Many people actually predicted that Lehtonen would play back-to-back even before last night's game. If he is to be the starter (as it appears), it makes all kinds of sense really. At least to some of us.
I'm with File on this one. If the no.1 spot would be still up for grabs, Jalonen would give Vehanen a chance to show he's up to it, by playing him in the US game.

It gets interesting if Lehtonen has subpar performance (imo he was ok in CAN game).

But let's not hope that.

Quote:
You quoted the wrong guy in your last post, by the way.
Hurts, doesn't it

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 05-12-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Listen, I know your hurt that Team Finland's best choked against Team Canada's C team, but how stupid are you? Canada's defense is horrible. I can not believe they have these 6 guys on the back end. Up front, guys like Burrows, Ladd, Purcell and others have no shot at Sochi. Nugent-Hopkins is still a young guy but unlikely for 2014 along with many others. In North America, this tournament is not even talked about. I came home from work yesterday, and then realized that this game was actually played. The NHL Playoffs in the first round were probably

the best hockey anyone could have witnessed with the epic overtime games. The next best on best is 2014, every team in this tournament lacks its best players, but most European teams have their top players since it matters more to them. It does not matter to North American players. Plain and simple. It would be great if Canada wins, but it is not the end of the world. Unlike your countrymen who were crying after Finland choked a meaningless round robin game in a minor league tournament nobody cares about in North America.
You don't seem to understand the depth of Canadian hockey. Even your "C" team is A team by others standards. You can cry all you want that you have a subpar team, to everyone else its an A team. It just shows how much of a niche sport hockey really is when one country can field multiple teams that would be better or same quality as everyone elses best.

Old
05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Hurts, doesn't it
Immensely. As does seeing a butchered quote tag. Why doesn't this pain end already?

Old
05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Immensely. As does seeing a butchered quote tag.
Lol, fixed it for ya, bro.

Quote:
Why doesn't this pain end already?
Beer. Lots of it.

Old
05-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Eidyia

Mehar! I like you!

Old
05-12-2012, 01:42 PM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
LEAFS fan hear wondering how leo Komarov has played so far.cant find any stats on him,i watched the game yesterday(last period) and didnt hear his name,anyways i hope he hopes the pond to play for the leafs next year!!!! GO LEAFS GO!!!!

Old
05-12-2012, 02:04 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

how are the quarter finals match ups made up

is it 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd of the group?

Old
05-12-2012, 03:11 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post

So, if you don't care about the tournament, why are you trolling on Finns for losing for Canada in the tournament?

Also, just like to point out that at this point, in my opinion only two sure-fire picks for Sochi for Team Finland are Koivu and Filppula. Jokinen, Granlund, Immonen, Vaananen, Lehtonen, Komarov, maybe Kukkonen and Jaakola have a good chance to make the team in Sochi, others' shots are from somewhat good to basically non. This is not even close to being "Finland's best team" as you call this team.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:15 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko1995 View Post
So, if you don't care about the tournament, why are you trolling on Finns for losing for Canada in the tournament?

Also, just like to point out that at this point, in my opinion only two sure-fire picks for Sochi for Team Finland are Koivu and Filppula. Jokinen, Granlund, Immonen, Vaananen, Lehtonen, Komarov, maybe Kukkonen and Jaakola have a good chance to make the team in Sochi, others' shots are from somewhat good to basically non. This is not even close to being "Finland's best team" as you call this team.
Koivu, Filppula and Granlund are as close to locks as there can be. Komarov should have a pretty good shot too. If Immonen, Väänänen, Lehtonen, Jokinen, Jokinen and Jaakola make it, we're in trouble. Youngsters and other emerging players will take there spots.

Lehtonen may be an NHL starter and a pretty good one too and I love what he has shown this far, but there is no way we have to go to our 5th/6th goalie in the olympics again.

Old
05-12-2012, 04:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
If Immonen, Väänänen, Lehtonen, Jokinen, Jokinen and Jaakola make it, we're in trouble. Youngsters and other emerging players will take there spots.
Why Väänänen? He's as reliable as they come. On top of the list right now what comes to shutdown D-men.

Also, I don't see us having 12 better forwards than J.Jokinen in two years' time. And mentioning that other Jokinen is a moot point, since he's retired from NT.

We technically have the centre depth to not have the need for Immonen, but he could just make it regardless, especially if Jalonen is still coaching.

Lehtonen, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Lehtonen may be an NHL starter and a pretty good one too and I love what he has shown this far, but there is no way we have to go to our 5th/6th goalie in the olympics again.
How on Earth did you get Lehtonen that far down the rankings? Above him, there's Rinne... and, err... hmm. Kipper, yeah, but his NT days are over. Rask may be there in two years' time. Niemi is good, but not better than Kärppä.

So Lehtonen is more like 2nd/3rd, and definitely olympic material.

Though if I were to predict things, I'd say our trio is Rinne-Rask-Niemi, in that order. But if Lehtonen makes it, him being there is definitely justified.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:17 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Since you talked about music. Does anyone know what was that music at the end of the 'Leijonatreenit' today on Saturday? It was German and I believe metal.
Could it have been some of Timo Rautiainen's German work?

Old
05-13-2012, 01:39 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Why Väänänen? He's as reliable as they come. On top of the list right now what comes to shutdown D-men.

Also, I don't see us having 12 better forwards than J.Jokinen in two years' time. And mentioning that other Jokinen is a moot point, since he's retired from NT.

We technically have the centre depth to not have the need for Immonen, but he could just make it regardless, especially if Jalonen is still coaching.
Age is a factor with Immonen and Väänänen. They won't be ancient, but I'd be sad if there weren't younger players close to their level, making age a bigger factor in selection since it would be better to give the "same level" players experience for coming tournaments. As for Jussi.. As a kärpät Fan I love the guy. But i just don't see him finding that assertiveness that he'd need to make his skills all that useful. But if we lack impact players, he probably will be there, I am just overly optimistic that other players will blossom into offensive stars. Jussi can be an alright supporting player though.

Quote:
Lehtonen, see below.

How on Earth did you get Lehtonen that far down the rankings? Above him, there's Rinne... and, err... hmm. Kipper, yeah, but his NT days are over. Rask may be there in two years' time. Niemi is good, but not better than Kärppä.

So Lehtonen is more like 2nd/3rd, and definitely olympic material.

Though if I were to predict things, I'd say our trio is Rinne-Rask-Niemi, in that order. But if Lehtonen makes it, him being there is definitely justified.
I exaggerated a bit. Now that Cartman has worked out, he is on par with Bäckström (who will be ancient) and thus IMO is the third/fourth best keeper and probably will be the third best after Rinne and Rask(if he has swapped teams, Thomas will play forever). He is possibly the most naturally gifted of the bunch..

Closed Thread