HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EHM 07 - Part 9

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Can anyone share some tactics ? For an offensive team ? One that will help my top players actually lead the league in scoring ?
Here are my unit tactics for my 4 lines. Note, this won't help you if your players aren't similar to mine. You have to play to their strengths.

1st Line:

2nd Line:

3rd Line:

4th Line:

And no, I'm not going to post every player's stats and their personal tactic settings. But for my 1st line, they are the all around greats. My 2nd line is pretty much a 1b line, with most of them having similar stats (Forsberg regen - Modano regen - Jagr regen). My 3rd line has good defensive stats and are fast, I have them dumping the puck often and just playing defensively. My 4th line is tough (can fight), defensive and doesn't try and do a lot of scoring. Granted, I get scored on a lot but I score on the opposition more

Old
07-02-2012, 04:35 PM
shinderhizzle84

vCash: 500
I've always heard that for tactics you have to play to your unit's strength--but when people say that it just always confuses me.

For instance, in the post above, Wordup advises one to play to his team's strengths--yet where is he getting his analysis for his team's strength? On the 1st line's tactics, I see that he has five stars in offense--so he naturally has a very offensive mindset.

But he has 4 stars in toughness--wouldn't this warrant raising aggressiveness or hitting? Is there some sort of guide to unit tactics? What to look for and what each bar actually does? Every time I see a pair of tactics on places like TBL it has gap control tight or very tight and puck pressure heavy or very heavy--yet I've never truly understood why people do this, what this actually means and how this actually effects the game or the way your team plays.

What do you all use to judge your team's "strengths"? And how much do you adjust something in the unit tactics sheet by based on the stars, if at all?

Old
07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
RO8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinderhizzle84 View Post
I've always heard that for tactics you have to play to your unit's strength--but when people say that it just always confuses me.

For instance, in the post above, Wordup advises one to play to his team's strengths--yet where is he getting his analysis for his team's strength? On the 1st line's tactics, I see that he has five stars in offense--so he naturally has a very offensive mindset.

But he has 4 stars in toughness--wouldn't this warrant raising aggressiveness or hitting? Is there some sort of guide to unit tactics? What to look for and what each bar actually does? Every time I see a pair of tactics on places like TBL it has gap control tight or very tight and puck pressure heavy or very heavy--yet I've never truly understood why people do this, what this actually means and how this actually effects the game or the way your team plays.

What do you all use to judge your team's "strengths"? And how much do you adjust something in the unit tactics sheet by based on the stars, if at all?
You can't max out every setting because you demand to much from your players on the ice at once. If you want them to be mainly scoring goals having them get aggressive and hitting really hard will probably only cause them to go to the box. Obviously if you designed your top line as big strong goalscorers then maybe you want them hitting harder but these are decisions you have to make. The best way to find out is to set your tactics one way try them for that month then switch and try for another month and compare or do like I do play with your gut and learn as you go.

I personally ask more from my top line players then WordUp, and have much worse players as well, I ask them to backcheck more because I feel the backcheck helps them force turnovers and lead to more scoring chances. I also ask for heavy shots from every line since I want my bottom 2 defensive lines to basically hit and direct the puck to the net and my top 2 lines to score. Every once and a while my guys get tired and have a crappy game but right now with default original Vancouver rosters I often out chance the opponents by 10 shots and Loui gives them a run for their money even if they do keep the chances even.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinderhizzle84 View Post

For my "unit" (line)'s tactic, I play to how I want it to go. I want my 1st line to be very offensive, my 2nd line offensive, then I go defensive with my 3rd and 4th lines. I go into personal tactics to really play to their strengths but the unit tactics are for the general tactic of the line. If a personal tactic for a player isn't used, they go by the unit's tactic. For instance, my first line of Ovechkin/Emeliamenko/Kramer all have green stats for everything, however I don't max them out on defensive tactics because I want them to score, not defend (in real hockey of course you want both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO8 View Post
You can't max out every setting because you demand to much from your players on the ice at once. If you want them to be mainly scoring goals having them get aggressive and hitting really hard will probably only cause them to go to the box. Obviously if you designed your top line as big strong goalscorers then maybe you want them hitting harder but these are decisions you have to make. The best way to find out is to set your tactics one way try them for that month then switch and try for another month and compare or do like I do play with your gut and learn as you go.

I personally ask more from my top line players then WordUp, and have much worse players as well, I ask them to backcheck more because I feel the backcheck helps them force turnovers and lead to more scoring chances. I also ask for heavy shots from every line since I want my bottom 2 defensive lines to basically hit and direct the puck to the net and my top 2 lines to score. Every once and a while my guys get tired and have a crappy game but right now with default original Vancouver rosters I often out chance the opponents by 10 shots and Loui gives them a run for their money even if they do keep the chances even.
I may try this for my top lines to see if it cuts down my goals against. I always end the season with 60+ wins but Carey Price has only won about 2 Vezinas and keeps having below-.900 seasons. This season he's at .910 so far. I find whenever he has a good season, the following will be really crappy. First time ever, I've gotten a goalie to take a pay-cut (he went from 4.6 mil to 4.0 because of his sub-par performances).

Old
07-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Frank Gallagher
"Alcohol is a gift"

Why can't I get those really good numbers for my players in this game?

Old
07-03-2012, 12:49 AM
MapleLeafs9
MapleLeafs9

vCash: 100
Oh wow. I decided to try and trade for Crosby while he was out with his bad concussion, and they would've said yes for just Luke Schenn So I just added a bunch of assets what I felt was more reasonable. BAM! Crosby's a Leaf.

Using Manimal 4.2b rosters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crosby.jpg‎ (230.0 KB, 48 views)

Old
07-03-2012, 01:49 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Can anyone share some tactics ? For an offensive team ? One that will help my top players actually lead the league in scoring ?
I set my team's default as:

Mentality: Very Offensive
Aggressiveness: High
Backchecking: the second-to-max setting
Gap Control: Tight
Puck Pressure: Heavy
Hitting: Heavy
Tempo: High
Passing: Creative
Shooting: Barrage
Dumping: minimal

Plus individual tactics:

- every player is set on Join rush
- every player is set on Shoot
- players with green stickhandling get Carry the puck
- players with green passing get Adventurous passing
- players with green hitting get Very heavy hitting
- players with green speed get Very high tempo
- all D-men get maxed Backchecking and Very tight Gap control

That's all I use, and it's enough to crush the league offensively even with mediocre roster. Defense is another matter, though, especially if your goalie isn't great, lot of 9-5 games

Old
07-03-2012, 01:56 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I set my team's default as:

Mentality: Very Offensive
Aggressiveness: High
Backchecking: the second-to-max setting
Gap Control: Tight
Puck Pressure: Heavy
Hitting: Heavy
Tempo: High
Passing: Creative
Shooting: Barrage
Dumping: minimal

Plus individual tactics:

- every player is set on Join rush
- every player is set on Shoot
- players with green stickhandling get Carry the puck
- players with green passing get Adventurous passing
- players with green hitting get Very heavy hitting
- players with green speed get Very high tempo
- all D-men get maxed Backchecking and Very tight Gap control

That's all I use, and it's enough to crush the league offensively even with mediocre roster. Defense is another matter, though, especially if your goalie isn't great, lot of 9-5 games
Alright thanks I'll try it out, I'm play CHL, well the Q to be specific, I have the 5th ranked team but were like mediocre so I hired a coach, then fired him, and hired a different one... I like a 12 game span..

If I understand correctly you apply team tactics, an then set player specifics ? How does that work ?

Old
07-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Dobbie71064
Go Thrashers!

Ive got a few rather dumb questions for you guys, im fairly new to the game, ive played a few games but i normally loose interest after a season or two. A few things have stumped me though,

A- What is a good way to tell how a prospect may develop? What ratings are good in a prospect?

B- Is there a good way to get players to re-sign with you? Any time i try to negotiate with my minor league prospects none of them are ever interested in a contract extension at this time. I normally end up running out of time at the end.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:00 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Anyone know when the new Lidas roster comes out?

Old
07-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Lidas hasn't done rosters in quite a while. Manimal at TBL does them now, and my guess is that he's not in a hurry to put something together... in July.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:39 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Lidas hasn't done rosters in quite a while. Manimal at TBL does them now, and my guess is that he's not in a hurry to put something together... in July.
This. If anything look in October... maybe late October, for that season's roster to be put out.

Old
07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
MapleLeafs9
MapleLeafs9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbie71064 View Post
Ive got a few rather dumb questions for you guys, im fairly new to the game, ive played a few games but i normally loose interest after a season or two. A few things have stumped me though,

A- What is a good way to tell how a prospect may develop? What ratings are good in a prospect?

B- Is there a good way to get players to re-sign with you? Any time i try to negotiate with my minor league prospects none of them are ever interested in a contract extension at this time. I normally end up running out of time at the end.
A- I usually look at anticipation, determination, work rate, flair, positioning. And I will never draft a centre if his faceoffs is lower than 12...or else he'll always be under 50% at the NHL level. Also never bring an 18 year old to the NHL right away, even if it's a phenom, he will not put up more than 30-35 points and will have plenty of 5-rated games.

B- For RFA's just give them a qualifying offer for 10 years to guarantee they wont re-sign, but you'll keep their rights, then on/after July 1st they will always re-sign, and usually for pretty cheap too. If you're trying to sign UFA's and it says "does not want to negotiate at the current time", you can still sign them. If the offer is similar or a bit more than what they are earning now, they will usually re-sign. Not all the time though, it all depends on their Loyalty attribute I believe, which you would see as "Loyal" on the "Mental characteristics" thingy once you've scouted them. If you do not see it...then they aren't very loyal LOL.

Hope I helped

Old
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
What tactics do I use to stop allowing so many damn goals?

Please help me.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 900
Oh, and I get scored on within the first 15 seconds of almost every game. Guaranteed. Doesn't matter which lines I match, what the unit tactics are... I'm down 1-0 after the first shift of the game.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Defensive ones?

Honestly, tactics are dependent on your players and your team's strengths and weaknesses. There is no magic tactic that prevents goals.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

Please help me.
The game heavily favors offense. And so many people play the game with the hopes of having their top-line go 1, 2, 3 in scoring and break Gretzky's records, so defensive tactics are fairly uncharted territory relatively speaking. I play nothing but defense by last 10 saves or so...mixed results at the NHL level (did get a third place for the Vezina once with Fleury, least SA/g, etc.) but I've been mainly plying my tactics at the junior level because I feel I get a better understanding of how the game thinks down there.

The way the game generates players, sometimes players have huge differences in attributes within themselves and then against their peers. Even sometimes in a nonsensical fashion (goaltender with glove: 2, blocker: 3 but reflexes: 20 ...what is he reflexing? He can only make kicksaves? He doesn't have arms? or defensemen with anticipation of 1 but positioning of 15 or vice versa...how does he know to be so good positionally if he's dumb as a post?).

Anyway, I try to use the varied structure of junior hockey to test out some things. And sometimes I get amazing results from players that are otherwise scrubs. I had one guy not long ago that's almost all red attributes, except his position is 9 or 10, work rate and determination are high (15 or so) and strength/stamina are high-ish. His passing is 1, anticipation 2, wristshot 4, etc. He played on the 4th line and his avg. rating was over 7, he scored 14 goals and 20 something points while being a +14 or +16 (sorry, going off memory) and was a big help in the playoffs. He just must be a player that fits the system well, I feel...

I had one guy a few saves ago that I won't forget. I started unemployed. Long story slightly shorter, I ended up in Victoriaville (QMJHL) and had an extra d-man who had good positional skills and worked hard, so I moved him to wing...tore it up. Played 3rd and 4th line, didn't really score (wasn't his job) but had a rating up near 8 despite a very low point total. It seems like no goals against were yielded when he was out there. I leave juniors for a job in the ECHL, the player went undrafted, so I signed him to the ECHL, same situation, tore it up. Few years later, I leave the ECHL for the AHL, bring him with me, same results...unfortunately, I never saw it through to get an NHL job, but there's little doubt he would have been awesome there too.

It's just about finding players that fit and there's more to the game than just attributes I feel. Even though it's a numbers game, per se, there's something a little more to it than just the numbers we see on that one page. As a coach myself, defense isn't just about technical ability, it's a mentality. Some players have it, some don't. You have to find the right guys. For every story like I told above, I have 10 where a player looked amazing and sucked out loud - just recently a guy in juniors that was all yellow, and some green at 18 years old, anticipation 13, positioning 18, pokecheck 15 or so, the whole deal, no weaknesses...I put him on my team, completely sucked...moved him around my lineup a little, worked with him a little...played 30 games or so, rating was hovering at 6...he would have 3 point games and still only get a 7 rating (hard to do) and it's just a case where he didn't fit...I traded him to another OHL club, he scored 8 points in his first 2 games (10 ratings) and went on to have a hugely productive second half - like nearly 2 pts/gm...

So, I've been exploring defense a lot in the game with varied success. But don't have a firm enough grasp yet I feel. Just had a good season with a pretty average goalie in the OHL. Led the league in GAA, save pct. and was 3rd in shutouts I think...lowest sa/g numbers, good team defense. So good, that the goalie could get a shutout and still only get an 8 rating...which isn't terribly common, but that's the game probably telling you that he didn't have to work a lot for this one (which is good). So despite leading in the two main goalie stat categories, he didn't even finish top-3 for OHL Goaltender of the year...not sure if that's right or not, or the game just telling me that the goalie was a product of the system (his backup, was also top-5 in the same categories). Not sure.

But games aren't fun for me when I know how to win. So I basically have the mindset that offense is cheating and cheating in a video game where I'm the human and already have the advantage is not fun at all to me. So, trying to be a defensive team has really made it a new game for me (even if it never quite got old in the first place)...if I hit any major breakthroughs, I'll pass it along...but as Richie Daggers Crime puts it, and always bluntly and to the point, there's no magic formula...your tactics have to bring out your team's strengths...and if you don't know what your team's strengths are, you should assemble a team with a particular strength and see if it works...

Sorry for the long post, just an avid player of the game and defensive coaching tactics...

Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

There's always some tactics that are superior... yes, EHM2007 favors offense, heavily. The original EHM OTOH grossly favored defense, sub-100 point Art Rosses were the norm, and the best tactic was Hit&Grind...

Old
07-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
There's always some tactics that are superior... yes, EHM2007 favors offense, heavily. The original EHM OTOH grossly favored defense, sub-100 point Art Rosses were the norm, and the best tactic was Hit&Grind...
Oh, is that right? I can't speak for that. I had an early text version of the game that I didn't really get into (it had "overall" ratings for players and Carlo Colaiacovo was a "13" and I got confused, and never really got into it), I picked up with EHM 2005 and became a big fan since then. So I'll obviously defer to you on that point. I always didn't mean my post to be a slight on anyone's playing tactics, hopefully it wasn't taken that way. Speaking strictly personally.

That sounds like a game for me though

Old
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
ThePuckBaron
Avalado Coloranch

Question I have recently installed the patch which allows me to use rosters from this past year. I've noticed that the scheduling is the same as in 2007 where there are 8 divisional games per season. Is there a way to update this??

Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 PM
4thlinegrinders

game 7 ecf

there were 41 fights in this series lol

Old
07-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePuckBaron View Post
Is there a way to update this??
No, I don't believe there is.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Quote:
Yeah. I got Bure to score like 170 though, playing with Mario and whoever. On the Flyers

Old
07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Kavliary2000

This game is just awesome...ive been playing it since it came out.

I know OOTP is working on a hockey sim...ill obviously try it but it will be hard to let go of EHM2007.

I have a long wishlist of minor tweaks to EHM2007 that would greatly improve the experience. HAs anyone ever put such a list together?

Old
07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
ThePuckBaron
Avalado Coloranch

It was only exhibition but...

Dave Steckel was a +1

Closed Thread