HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

EHM 07 - Part 9

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2012, 01:43 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 50
Signed Tretiak, he will will play in the AHL a couple of seasons then back up Parent as he nears retirement.

Bobby Clarke is gonna be a beast! I'm really interested to see the 1 year old players develop and see if they turn out anything like their actual selves.

Old
09-08-2012, 01:58 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Signed Tretiak, he will will play in the AHL a couple of seasons then back up Parent as he nears retirement.

Bobby Clarke is gonna be a beast! I'm really interested to see the 1 year old players develop and see if they turn out anything like their actual selves.
Lol Tretiak in the AHL ? Your that stacked ?

Old
09-08-2012, 09:44 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Thanks HabsFan, I cannot wait to start this beauty!

Last edited by ForzaZuffa: 09-08-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old
09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I play as the Rangers, and when I signed him, he was listed behind Giacoman and Villemure.

Predictably, he has been a beast at the AHL level (literally played every game, had a save percentage in the .950's, poor Hardy Astrom, his back-up). He has actually now passed Villemure, but I can't make room for him this season because Villemure has a NTC.

Old
09-08-2012, 12:05 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I play as the Rangers, and when I signed him, he was listed behind Giacoman and Villemure.

Predictably, he has been a beast at the AHL level (literally played every game, had a save percentage in the .950's, poor Hardy Astrom, his back-up). He has actually now passed Villemure, but I can't make room for him this season because Villemure has a NTC.
Players will waive their NTC's for certain teams....

The game choses lineups based on reputation...

Old
09-08-2012, 12:54 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Do you not read anything I or some of the other people post on here? Even if a guy is really good with attributes like Tretiak, you should give them a few AHL season (ESPECIALLY goalies). I did mention I have Parent as my starter and there's no sense in having Tretiak be back-up. I plan on having Tretiak well-developed by the time he's ready to be a starter.

It's a good strategy and I suggest doing this.

Old
09-08-2012, 01:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Do you not read anything I or some of the other people post on here? Even if a guy is really good with attributes like Tretiak, you should give them a few AHL season (ESPECIALLY goalies). I did mention I have Parent as my starter and there's no sense in having Tretiak be back-up. I plan on having Tretiak well-developed by the time he's ready to be a starter.

It's a good strategy and I suggest doing this.
He's already NHL ready..

Old
09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I signed Anders Kallur, because the Isles signed Anders Kallur in real life. Otherwise, I'm leaving the Euros alone because it seems kinda cheap to me.

Old
09-08-2012, 02:09 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
I signed Anders Kallur, because the Isles signed Anders Kallur in real life. Otherwise, I'm leaving the Euros alone because it seems kinda cheap to me.
Cheap is fine by me.

I'm not good with the Database...

Old
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Hey, I'm the Leafs GM, I'll take anyone I can get for cheap......

That said, I signed all the Russians, Swedes I could that were at least decent. I also mortgaged half my team to bring in Park, Courny, Perreault, Juha Widing, Ken Hodge, Goring, and Lemaire.

The Leafs in '74, wow, who knew? The team overall on this database isn't very solid, but luckily they have some of the top players in the league in Lanny, Borje, Sittler, Tiger and Keon so there's a good base to start with.

Old
09-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

As with early versions of a database, there are bound to be some glitches and errors discovered, unfortunately.

From reading nino's thread at TBL, it appears young players such as Linden, Modano, Sakic, Roenick etc...all grow to end up being close to, or over, 7 feet tall and 230+ pounds.

That sucks but what can you do. Hopefully it will be fixed by version 1.1.

Quote:
The only Euro I signed was Ivan Hlinka, because I wanted to add depth for Nova Scotia in the AHL. There's no room for him right now on the big club, but I'll eventually give him an opportunity.

At one point the Leafs were in talks with Tretiak, but a deal never happened. He was tempting for me, but with Dryden still being somewhat young, I figured there's no point.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old
09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Stastny seems to be developing extremely well, and is clearly looking like a steal as a 3rd rounder. He's agreed to terms and will join the Habs for the start of the upcoming training camp. I'll likely give him the opportunity to make the top 6 right away.

edit: Stastny finishes 1st in scoring at the World Championships as a 21 year old, with 16 points (5 goals) in 9 games.

Mike Bossy also seems to be developing extremely well if we're going strictly by statistics. As well as the Q, he lit up the WJC. But as with many other prospects, I've noticed his technical attributes don't really seem to be growing. Could just be that some take longer, but this is a bit worrisome if it's going to be a regular issue.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-08-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old
09-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Nino did a fantastic job - and I can't even imagine the amount of work he put into the project, but I will say that one major thing I hope he fixes for version 1.1 is the potential and attributes for some players who start out as prospects.

Look at Pelle Lindbergh for instance:

Or Kjell Samuelsson. Not saying he was a superstar by any means, but he was certainly better than this.

Another issue, is the low scoring. I'm finding that each season there are like 7 goaltenders who played in at least 50 games, who have a GAA under 2.00. Not I'm not sure if this stuff can be even tweaked in a DB or not, but it's something that should be, if it's possible.

I'm noticing that many teams are scoring around 130-150 goals in a season. Not very realistic to that era.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-09-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old
09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Players will waive their NTC's for certain teams....

The game choses lineups based on reputation...
I actually tried trading him, but he wouldn't go no matter what. Pissed me off too, since I got Detroit to offer their 2008 first rounder for him straight up.

Old
09-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm noticing that many teams are scoring around 130-150 goals in a season. Not very realistic to that era.
You gotta remember that the league is inherently imbalanced at the outset. It has a bunch of WHA teams that aren't close to being as good as the majority of NHL teams. Plus, there's a handful of teams only a few years off expansion.

Old
09-09-2012, 04:56 AM
FlyingOcto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I actually tried trading him, but he wouldn't go no matter what. Pissed me off too, since I got Detroit to offer their 2008 first rounder for him straight up.

Set his status to unwanted/unneeded and they usually accept a trade due to low morale

Old
09-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

As for my issue above with guys like Lindbergh and Samuelsson, it appears this was done on purpose by nino.

He mostly focused on the players in North America, as he wanted to get the true feel from that time period. As many Europeans didn't join the league until the early 80's, he didn't really spend much time focusing on them, and purposely left them with really low attributes.

He also gave many of the Euro's, such as Tretiak and Marian Stastny really low adaptability ratings and really high loyalty ratings in the hopes that they wouldn't sign with North American teams, and in the chance they do so, they may not really adapt well to the North American game at all.

Quote:
You gotta remember that the league is inherently imbalanced at the outset. It has a bunch of WHA teams that aren't close to being as good as the majority of NHL teams. Plus, there's a handful of teams only a few years off expansion.
Yes, this is something I'm keeping in mind. As the years go on, I'm hoping the teams get more balanced.

Old
09-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Well, Bossy is now regressing when it comes to his attributes. Every one of his physical and technical attributes have dropped a point.

Also, I'm starting to see first hand the low adaptability rating for Euro's. Stastny in his first 24 NHL games - 6 points and an average rating of 5.38..

Old
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Make It Biznasty*

Quote:
Well, Bossy is now regressing when it comes to his attributes. Every one of his physical and technical attributes have dropped a point.

Also, I'm starting to see first hand the low adaptability rating for Euro's. Stastny in his first 24 NHL games - 6 points and an average rating of 5.38..
damn that sucks

Old
09-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
He also gave many of the Euro's, such as Tretiak and Marian Stastny really low adaptability ratings and really high loyalty ratings in the hopes that they wouldn't sign with North American teams, and in the chance they do so, they may not really adapt well to the North American game at all.
IMO, this is a good thing. It prevents the NHL teams from gobbling up all the Euro talent and destroying the unique flavor of the time period, which is sorta the point of the database... to reflect the time.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:

Damn... I knew by Bossy's stats that he probably won't improve THAT much even though he's 17 at the start. Maybe if you controlled Laval you'd see a bit more of improvement.

All in all, I think this DB looks cool and I'm having some fun playing around with it but I don't expect to play it full time. I hope the people who put in the work are happy with it even with the way the prospects have been developing.

Old
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

Is it possible to retain the Chairman, DoP, and President in this game? Or is that a lost cause? I hate it that they always leave and no one else takes over.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

They just leave. But, they don't do anything anyway.

Old
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
FlyingOcto

Any one have interest in any other years? I'm looking to make a mod, the 74' DB is a bit to out of my time frame to really enjoy.

I'm thinking perhaps the early 90's or the 2000 season.

Old
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

2004-2005 would be awesome...

Closed Thread