*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I'm guessing that as long as any OA has a possibility of making the next level, or has already signed as an OA, the Rangers would "assume" they won't be in their plans until confirmation that they are returning is received.

I'm thinking AC returns for an OA season and he'll be back a lot quicker than Randell was.
Agreed....With a work stoppage (or whatever they call it) the players on 2 way contracts will be sent down to the Marlies to be in game condition. While the Leafs are lousy at best their AHL depth is good and there may not be a spot in the AHL nor the ECHL (filter down effect from all teams) for AC. Last year a similar player like Jamie Devane was sent back to the OHL (Plymouth) and I suspect as you that the Leafs will do the same with AC.

BTW I noticed that Mitch Eden has committed to the BCHL. IMHO I'm glad to see this happen since I don't think he would warrant a 2nd draft pick going to the Gennies. Losing (2) 4th rounders on a 3rd rd OHL pick was questionable enough!!

Old
08-13-2012, 03:06 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
BTW I noticed that Mitch Eden has committed to the BCHL. IMHO I'm glad to see this happen since I don't think he would warrant a 2nd draft pick going to the Gennies. Losing (2) 4th rounders on a 3rd rd OHL pick was questionable enough!!
I heard that as well. Wonder what Spott & Co. were thinking by spending those assets to acquire if they didnt think they could lock him up. I would think that Oshawa would have given permission to talk to him before trading for him...no?

Old
08-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Phatpat88

http://www.thejuniorhockeynews.com/C...r%20Union.html its a good read not to sure if it's true

Old
08-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Sec108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
http://www.thejuniorhockeynews.com/C...r%20Union.html its a good read not to sure if it's true
Can't blame the players.gotta protect yourself these days from all the blood suckers out there.

Old
08-18-2012, 02:36 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
Can't blame the players.gotta protect yourself these days from all the blood suckers out there.
Somehow doesn't sound real to me. But we'll see.

Old
08-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Somehow doesn't sound real to me. But we'll see.
Its not. No agent that I have texted with knows anything about this, and If the NHLPA has told us anything, its that agents run player's associations.

Old
08-20-2012, 09:38 AM
BenchedGuy

Didnt see it discussed yet anywhere. TMD has printed somewhat of a retraction and removed the story from their site. The Rangers are discontinuing legal proceedings against TMD and Slovin.

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...ach-settlement

Quote:
The Michigan Daily has removed the article that caused the Kitchener Rangers to commence legal proceedings against the newspaper and the reporter, Matt Slovin. As they have acceded to what was from the outset the Kitchener Rangers’ primary demand, we are discontinuing the legal proceedings as against the newspaper and Mr. Slovin.
http://www.michigandaily.com/news/clarification

Old
08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Ward Cornell

As per Intheoradio on Twitter.....Kitchener #Rangers Kegan Blasby signs on with the Hamilton Redwings #OJHL after playing with Markham Waxers, Markham folded a few weeks ago.

Looks like Spott has him pencilled in for next year with an appearance this season for injury and WJHC fill-in.

Old
08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Phatpat88

MONTREAL -- Georges Laraque has been hired as executive director of the fledgling Canadian Hockey League Players' Association.
The former NHL tough guy announced on his Twitter account that he was "proud" to accept the role Tuesday.
Specific details about how the CHLPA -- which would represent major junior hockey players in Canada -- will function have yet to be formally announced.
CHL president Dave Branch told The Canadian Press on Tuesday night that he had yet to be contacted by a union representative.
Laraque spent three years in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League -- winning a Memorial Cup with the Granby Predateurs in 1996 -- before moving on to a NHL career that spanned 695 games.This is from tsn

Last edited by Phatpat88: 08-21-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 08:28 AM
BenchedGuy

If anyone is going to the AGM tonight, would you be able to give some feedback tomorrow? I am not able to get there.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:10 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
If anyone is going to the AGM tonight, would you be able to give some feedback tomorrow? I am not able to get there.
I plan to attend, so I'll do my best!

Old
08-27-2012, 09:18 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I plan to attend, so I'll do my best!
Thanks....very much appreciated!

oh and watch out for John C, I wouldnt be surprised to see him lurking.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:24 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:

I won't be surprised to see him, but as a non-shareholder, he doesn't have an official voice. He'll probably be outside handing out flyers detailing his opinion on everything (still haven't quite figured out why he thinks anyone else gives a damn what HE thinks).

Old
08-27-2012, 09:41 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I won't be surprised to see him, but as a non-shareholder, he doesn't have an official voice. He'll probably be outside handing out flyers detailing his opinion on everything (still haven't quite figured out why he thinks anyone else gives a damn what HE thinks).
Oh, I expect to hear about him trying to spew some propaganda on how the team could be run. But people do have to remember....his wife still has her tickets and a vote. Wonder if he will be getting proxy's for her?

Old
08-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Ward Cornell

http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Training Camp Roster:
Quote:
Adam Abu-Ali - Tough kid with skill. Looking to make big impression this year at camp.

Justin Bailey - A future NHL first round draft pick if all breaks right this season.

Taylor Best - Free agent who played for Whitby Fury last year.

Juraj Bezuch - Euro in camp as insurance in case Faksa makes the NHL.

Kegan Blasby - Recently signed to play with Hamilton Red Wings. A 2012 draft pick who is expected to play a big part with the Rangers down the road.

Brandon Bockmann - 2011 draft pick at wing who brings a solid physical game.

Eric Bogart - Big goalie that has already received attention from NHL scouts.

Brett Clampitt - Was a star at last year's camp and the effort eventually landed him on the roster.

Stephen Cooney - Drafted in 2011. Ended season playing for Arnprior in Ottawa valley.

Jordan Delaurier - Northern boy who had solid numbers last season.

Radek Faksa - Should take Mike Catenacci's spot as team's first line centre.

Ben Fanelli - Back for another year after remarkable comeback from head injury. Captain candidate.

Cory Genovese - Went from practice part to starter on blue line.

John Gibson - Hoping to get a full, healthy season under his belt.

Jared Gilbert - Showed well with Dutchmen, looking to latch on main roster this time.

Keli Grant - Head injuries hurt last season. Provides depth at wing.

Matt Greenfield - American goalie with good upside. Crowded crease right now though.

Danny Hanlon - Free agent who played for Waterloo midgets last year.

Tyler Hoffman - Free agent from Kitchener Dutchmen.

Frank Hora - Scouts very high on this defenceman.

Max Iafrate - Had taste of show with Caps rookie camp. Needs to take a leap this season.

Hunter Jackson - Free agent from Markham Waxers.

Jordan Kerr - Free agent, son of former Ranger Scott Kerr.

Ty Learn - 2012 draft pick, already signed to Rangers.

Brandon Lesway - Experience gives him an edge, but will be pushed hard for a roster spot.

Darby Llewellyn - Fourth rounder in 2012, has inked deal with club.

Matia Marcantuoni - Huge boost for Rangers, if he can stay healthy.

Nic Marchand - Free agent from Ayr midgets.

Evan McEneny - Like Marcantuoni, also looking for bounce back year.

Curtis Meighan - Established himself as a solid two-way player and strong at faceoffs.

Stephen Midensky - Hopefully he added some bulk in the off-season. Competition fierce on blue line.

Eric Ming - In the mould of Tyler Randell. A solid piece going forward.

Jack Moylan - Hard not to love a guy that names his cat Ranger.

Ryan Murphy - Riding a hot streak. Rangers hoping he returns from Carolina.

Cam Nicholl - A free agent forward from Jr. C loop.

Frank Palazzese - Will he still be here in a month?

Brent Pedersen - Rangers need him to score more if they want to have a big year.

Chris Poletek - 10th rounder from this past year's draft.

Matt Puempel - Big off-season acquisition from Peterborough Petes.

Tobi Rieder - Is 50 goals in the offing?

Matt Schmalz - Rangers first rounder brings size and skill.

Ethan Spaxman - Blueliner is another late round selection from 2012.

Josh Sterk - Team has flirted with idea of him as second line centre.

Owen Stewart - Played for Gloucester Rangers last year.

Aaron Thow - Free agent out of North York Rangers.

Ben Thomson - Probably the team's most physical presence on the roster this season.

Dan Volpe - Free agent from Mississauga Reps.

Jesse Young - Ended year on high after slow start.

Danylo Znaczko - My new favourite last name on the Rangers.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Stephen Midensky - Hopefully he added some bulk in the off-season. Competition fierce on blue line.

No added bulk based on what I saw in the summer Carnovale League.

Old
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post

IMHO not sure even with added bilk would help him make this team!

Old
08-27-2012, 02:58 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
IMHO not sure even with added bilk would help him make this team!
Unless there are some major changes/trades coming up, I really can't see him making the top 7. Even then I would like to see one of the draft picks taking up a 7th spot like Stewart/Hora/Spaxman

Murphy / Fanelli
McEneny / Iafrate
Young / Genovese
Gilbert

Old
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Unless there are some major changes/trades coming up, I really can't see him making the top 7. Even then I would like to see one of the draft picks taking up a 7th spot like Stewart/Hora/Spaxman

Murphy / Fanelli
McEneny / Iafrate
Young / Genovese
Gilbert
Agreed 100%. Considering the camp invitees as well, Midensky isn't necessarily in my top-10.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Agreed 100%. Considering the camp invitees as well, Midensky isn't necessarily in my top-10.
I just hope whoever are last pairing of defencemen or the 4th line forwards that Spott rediscovers his coaching philosophy from a few years ago of playing them!
I found it frustrating seeing kids sitting and then during the playoffs saying he had no reliable depth!
He had depth but he never played them the first half of the season, so when the real hockey started in the 2nd half they had zero experience!

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/uplo...rt_2012_EV.pdf

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-27-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old
08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Yeah....he's here!

Old
08-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Yeah....he's here!
What did they talk about at the meeting

Old
08-27-2012, 09:55 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
What did they talk about at the meeting
They reviewed the financials - a few interesting points. Since 2003, the Rangers have donated $2.7 million to the community. Also, the expansion project is on schedule and expected to be about $100K above budget - peanuts compared to the overall $10 million price tag. They showed a video of the progress since December when the work started, and talked about the enhancements to both the training areas and the new seating. They are installing dehumidification devices, similar to the ones at ACC, which will help regulate the temperature in the Aud and more importantly result in better ice - a huge need.

They talked about the big coin they'll lose if the NHL lockout does come to pass and the entire NHL season is lost.

Briefly talked about the CHLPA - not much is known and the team will not make a statement. The players are being told they can speak with anyone about it but the team will not.

Discussed the legal goings on with the U of Michigan paper. Two days before the case was headed to court, the paper complied, and the court case was dropped. It was never about the money; it was about the ability to recruit. To this point, they don't know who the "unnamed sources" were.

Faksa is expected to be back, per Spott's conversations with Dallas. Crescenzi will not be attending training camp. Puempel is a kid they've had their eye on since his OHL draft. If Murphy hadn't been available when the Rangers drafted, they'd have taken Puempel. Spott will look at a Puempel-Faksa-Reider line. Also will have 3 OA's before January 10. They're treating this 50th anniversary year as a Memorial Cup year - they want it to be great.

Finally, Spott talked a bit about the situation going on in the Soo right now. He said that they spend time talking with the players about various and assorted situations they might find themselves in, and how to remove themselves. Also they bring in the Waterloo Regional Police to do seminars on the same thing.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 - it was wonderful. Although Mr. Cosman did have lackeys handing out papers at the entrance. I suggested to the young man who asked if I wanted one that he tell the man who asked him to distribute these to stick it. He asked where. I behaved like a lady and said "you choose".

Old
08-27-2012, 10:00 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Yeah....he's here!
And he's found the magic of Grecian Formula or Miss Clairol!

Old
08-27-2012, 11:40 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post

I have just about every d-man from last year ahead of him on the depth chart. And after seeing some of the rookie camp, I had Eden ahead of him too.

If we were a team who was going into a rebuilding year and who would be dealing veterans for picks/prospects, then maybe he could crack the top six.

What's the Carnovale league?

I've said for a while now that I expect AC here for his OA season. But Spott saying he won't be taking part in camp tells me one thing - he's asked for a trade.

Historically, virtually ALL players that are Rangers property take part in training camp. Players who are graduating players (potential OA's) are often on the ice as well whether they expect to be back or not. AC isn't guaranteed anything at the next level. He hasn't dominated at this level to the point where he is "above" playing in this league like OA aged players like Roy, Richards, Downie were in their day.

I have to assume that AC has been told that Faksa and MM are ahead of him on the depth chart down the middle (MM is a natural centerman and I think could wind up centering the second line). Therefore, as an NHL signed player, if AC is to eventually be returned to the OHL, he has probably asked to be then dealt to a team that will give him a chance to play a bigger role. I don't see any other reason for him to not attend training camp. If he can't be a second linbe centerman here, how does he crack the Marlies?

Catennacci, Sol and Melchiori all were at camp last year (not sure about Randell) with Sol and Melchiori ready to go the Jets camp. Unless one of these FA hopefuls on the training camp roster are OA's, this will be the 1st camp in years where there aren't any OA's taking part.

It was nice to see a detailed traing camp roster posted on Josh Brown's blog.
But, then I read this:
"Eric Ming - In the mold of Tyler Randell. A solid piece going forward."

Good lord what has Brown been watching the last couple of years?!?! Tyler Randell? Yeesh!!! That makes me doubt anything he's said about any of the other players at camp that we haven't seen here yet!

Last edited by EvenSteven: 08-28-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Closed Thread