*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2012, 01:15 AM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I just hope whoever are last pairing of defencemen or the 4th line forwards that Spott rediscovers his coaching philosophy from a few years ago of playing them!
I found it frustrating seeing kids sitting and then during the playoffs saying he had no reliable depth!
He had depth but he never played them the first half of the season, so when the real hockey started in the 2nd half they had zero experience!

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/uplo...rt_2012_EV.pdf

Spott did NOT have reliable depth in the playoffs. Not because he didn't play the fourth line forwards in the 1st half of the season. He did play the likes of Lesway, Grant, and Francisco. The problem was that: A)these guys were proven to be borderline OHLers at best (that should be sorted out at training camp), and: B)at the trade deadline, Spott the GM, of a Top Ten ranked team in the country no less, didn't give Spott the coach the depth to win come playoff time.

Same goes for the backend. Had Spott the GM dealt for a veteran stay-at-home d-man, to play on the 2nd pairing, he would have been able to rest guys like Sol and Murphy from time to time. Fanelli could have been moved down to play beside Genovese on the third pairing and that would have allowed Spott the coach to play that pairing more often.

Instead, Spott the GM was gun-shy and wouldn't do what it took to give Spott the coach the chance that this team and it's fan base deserved to make a run at it. I'm willing to bet that at the week of their respective league's trade deadlines, the Rangers were the only Top Ten ranked CHL team to NOT make a deal to better their team for a playoff run.

Now, going forward, Spott the GM has to pull a neat trick out of his hat! In a year where he says the Rangers are going for it (A Memorial cup year I think he said at the AGM), he has to try and get three OA's at or near the same quality as the three OA's he went to the third round of the playoffs with last year!

That won't be easy!! But to be better than last year, he'll have to get it done. Or at least get two OA's of their calibre (Puempel should replace Cat's production). Sterk at 2nd line center won't get it done on a Memorial cup contending team. Neither will Fanelli or Iafrate on the top pairing with Murphy.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
They reviewed the financials - a few interesting points. Since 2003, the Rangers have donated $2.7 million to the community. Also, the expansion project is on schedule and expected to be about $100K above budget - peanuts compared to the overall $10 million price tag. They showed a video of the progress since December when the work started, and talked about the enhancements to both the training areas and the new seating. They are installing dehumidification devices, similar to the ones at ACC, which will help regulate the temperature in the Aud and more importantly result in better ice - a huge need.

They talked about the big coin they'll lose if the NHL lockout does come to pass and the entire NHL season is lost.

Briefly talked about the CHLPA - not much is known and the team will not make a statement. The players are being told they can speak with anyone about it but the team will not.

Discussed the legal goings on with the U of Michigan paper. Two days before the case was headed to court, the paper complied, and the court case was dropped. It was never about the money; it was about the ability to recruit. To this point, they don't know who the "unnamed sources" were.

Faksa is expected to be back, per Spott's conversations with Dallas. Crescenzi will not be attending training camp. Puempel is a kid they've had their eye on since his OHL draft. If Murphy hadn't been available when the Rangers drafted, they'd have taken Puempel. Spott will look at a Puempel-Faksa-Reider line. Also will have 3 OA's before January 10. They're treating this 50th anniversary year as a Memorial Cup year - they want it to be great.

Finally, Spott talked a bit about the situation going on in the Soo right now. He said that they spend time talking with the players about various and assorted situations they might find themselves in, and how to remove themselves. Also they bring in the Waterloo Regional Police to do seminars on the same thing.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 - it was wonderful. Although Mr. Cosman did have lackeys handing out papers at the entrance. I suggested to the young man who asked if I wanted one that he tell the man who asked him to distribute these to stick it. He asked where. I behaved like a lady and said "you choose".
Thanks for the info CharlieGirl!!

Good to hear they are treating the 50th special.
I like hearing that Puempel-Faksa-Rieder line is something the are going to try from the start. I hope it means they plan on bringing in some 2nd line talent as an OA.

I didnt think about the developmental money's lost in a lockout. That would add up.

Quote:
Yesterday 07:23 PM
Ward Cornell
Yeah....he's here!
Not shocking, did anyone actually look at what his minions were handing out? Didnt know if it was good for a laugh.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:09 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I have just about every d-man from last year ahead of him on the depth chart. And after seeing some of the rookie camp, I had Eden ahead of him too.

If we were a team who was going into a rebuilding year and who would be dealing veterans for picks/prospects, then maybe he could crack the top six.

What's the Carnovale league?

I've said for a while now that I expect AC here for his OA season. But Spott saying he won't be taking part in camp tells me one thing - he's asked for a trade.

Historically, virtually ALL players that are Rangers property take part in training camp. Players who are graduating players (potential OA's) are often on the ice as well whether they expect to be back or not. AC isn't guaranteed anything at the next level. He hasn't dominated at this level to the point where he is "above" playing in this league like OA aged players like Roy, Richards, Downie were in their day.

I have to assume that AC has been told that Faksa and MM are ahead of him on the depth chart down the middle (MM is a natural centerman and I think could wind up centering the second line). Therefore, as an NHL signed player, if AC is to eventually be returned to the OHL, he has probably asked to be then dealt to a team that will give him a chance to play a bigger role. I don't see any other reason for him to not attend training camp. If he can't be a second linbe centerman here, how does he crack the Marlies?

Catennacci, Sol and Melchiori all were at camp last year (not sure about Randell) with Sol and Melchiori ready to go the Jets camp. Unless one of these FA hopefuls on the training camp roster are OA's, this will be the 1st camp in years where there aren't any OA's taking part.

It was nice to see a detailed traing camp roster posted on Josh Brown's blog.
But, then I read this:
"Eric Ming - In the mold of Tyler Randell. A solid piece going forward."

Good lord what has Brown been watching the last couple of years?!?! Tyler Randell? Yeesh!!! That makes me doubt anything he's said about any of the other players at camp that we haven't seen here yet!
I assume he is talking about the Carnevale Hockey Group that puts on a Junior Summer League. Link below has some info. Brett Ritchie, Ryan Sproul and others play in.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/p...&seasonid=9200

Didn't think about AC that way, you may be on to something. Obviously 3rd line is not going to get a ton of minutes. One would think he would want bigger minutes if he comes back to the OHL.

I also don't see Ming being the same impact as Randell, but I can see him trying to mould his game that way for his role on this Ranger squad. A very poor man's Randell if you will.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:19 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Not shocking, did anyone actually look at what his minions were handing out? Didnt know if it was good for a laugh.
It was a sheet outlining the directors who have served for quite some time and the ones who are new (aka the ones we should vote for, I suppose).

I didn't take one, but I did use the one the person beside me had for handy reference on who NOT to vote for.

The sad part is that there are probably individuals running for Director who have no connection to Cosman, and yet who did not receive votes because of his interference. Personally, if I were one of them, I'd be pretty cranky.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Spott did NOT have reliable depth in the playoffs. Not because he didn't play the fourth line forwards in the 1st half of the season. He did play the likes of Lesway, Grant, and Francisco. The problem was that: A)these guys were proven to be borderline OHLers at best (that should be sorted out at training camp), and: B)at the trade deadline, Spott the GM, of a Top Ten ranked team in the country no less, didn't give Spott the coach the depth to win come playoff time.

Same goes for the backend. Had Spott the GM dealt for a veteran stay-at-home d-man, to play on the 2nd pairing, he would have been able to rest guys like Sol and Murphy from time to time. Fanelli could have been moved down to play beside Genovese on the third pairing and that would have allowed Spott the coach to play that pairing more often.

Instead, Spott the GM was gun-shy and wouldn't do what it took to give Spott the coach the chance that this team and it's fan base deserved to make a run at it. I'm willing to bet that at the week of their respective league's trade deadlines, the Rangers were the only Top Ten ranked CHL team to NOT make a deal to better their team for a playoff run.

Now, going forward, Spott the GM has to pull a neat trick out of his hat! In a year where he says the Rangers are going for it (A Memorial cup year I think he said at the AGM), he has to try and get three OA's at or near the same quality as the three OA's he went to the third round of the playoffs with last year!

That won't be easy!! But to be better than last year, he'll have to get it done. Or at least get two OA's of their calibre (Puempel should replace Cat's production). Sterk at 2nd line center won't get it done on a Memorial cup contending team. Neither will Fanelli or Iafrate on the top pairing with Murphy.
I didn't see the 4th line get much playing time at all nor the last paring of d-men. I grant you this that a lot of it had to do with lack of talent at forward. But the depth of D wasn't that bad until they brought in Midensky.
I appreciate Spott going for it this year but it bothers me that he's such a crappy trader. He has to know when to trade to build up assets to "go for it" and he hasn't in the past and now when he needs assets his draft cupboard while not bare isn't abundant (the two 4th given up for Eden is very questionable at best). IMHO he'll need to actually bodies (Gilbert comes to mind but he'll need to top that up to get anything of value). He did day that nothing may be done on the OA till later in the season which leads me to believe he may just try to pick up another teams cast-off at the OA cut-off date (late-November?)
I also suspect he picked up players like Lesway and Midensky as a gamble that they could play and develop into a "free" tradeable assets which hasn't happen.

As for AC asking for a trade, he's presently at WhistleBear Golf Course playing golf with the Rangers....I doubt your scenerio is correct.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-28-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old
08-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
It was a sheet outlining the directors who have served for quite some time and the ones who are new (aka the ones we should vote for, I suppose).

I didn't take one, but I did use the one the person beside me had for handy reference on who NOT to vote for.

The sad part is that there are probably individuals running for Director who have no connection to Cosman, and yet who did not receive votes because of his interference. Personally, if I were one of them, I'd be pretty cranky.
I sat behind the Cosman lackies and when they left they were the only ones leaving empty cans, chip bags and broken chips on the floor.
The rest of the ppl had enough courtesy and respect to actually use the trash cans and recyclable bins.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:31 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

I didn't take one, but I did use the one the person beside me had for handy reference on who NOT to vote for.The sad part is that there are probably individuals running for Director who have no connection to Cosman, and yet who did not receive votes because of his interference. Personally, if I were one of them, I'd be pretty cranky.
....I would have done the exact same thing!

Will his tirade ever end?

I saw the media release sent out and who was all elected. Pretty much the same names, which to me, if it isn't broken (which I believe) then don't fix it.

Old
08-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Tim Wallach

For sure AC did NOT ask for a trade. Very simply put, the Leafs, he and his agent want him to focus hard on the pro camp this fall and the Rangers respect that.

Old
08-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
I have just about every d-man from last year ahead of him on the depth chart. And after seeing some of the rookie camp, I had Eden ahead of him too.

If we were a team who was going into a rebuilding year and who would be dealing veterans for picks/prospects, then maybe he could crack the top six.

What's the Carnovale league?

I've said for a while now that I expect AC here for his OA season. But Spott saying he won't be taking part in camp tells me one thing - he's asked for a trade.

Historically, virtually ALL players that are Rangers property take part in training camp. Players who are graduating players (potential OA's) are often on the ice as well whether they expect to be back or not. AC isn't guaranteed anything at the next level. He hasn't dominated at this level to the point where he is "above" playing in this league like OA aged players like Roy, Richards, Downie were in their day.

I have to assume that AC has been told that Faksa and MM are ahead of him on the depth chart down the middle (MM is a natural centerman and I think could wind up centering the second line). Therefore, as an NHL signed player, if AC is to eventually be returned to the OHL, he has probably asked to be then dealt to a team that will give him a chance to play a bigger role. I don't see any other reason for him to not attend training camp. If he can't be a second linbe centerman here, how does he crack the Marlies?

Catennacci, Sol and Melchiori all were at camp last year (not sure about Randell) with Sol and Melchiori ready to go the Jets camp. Unless one of these FA hopefuls on the training camp roster are OA's, this will be the 1st camp in years where there aren't any OA's taking part.

It was nice to see a detailed traing camp roster posted on Josh Brown's blog.
But, then I read this:
"Eric Ming - In the mold of Tyler Randell. A solid piece going forward."

Good lord what has Brown been watching the last couple of years?!?! Tyler Randell? Yeesh!!! That makes me doubt anything he's said about any of the other players at camp that we haven't seen here yet!
A summer league run every Sunday in the summer out of the Powerade Centre in Brampton. Lots of OHL, OJHL and midget players participate. Link below.

http://carnevalehockeygroup.com/

Old
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
For sure AC did NOT ask for a trade. Very simply put, the Leafs, he and his agent want him to focus hard on the pro camp this fall and the Rangers respect that.
Basically, the same scenario as Tyler Randell last year. Good.

That being the case, I'll revert back to my thoughts of a while back that had AC in a Ranger uniform by the time the deadline rolls around, as Randell was.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:42 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
A summer league run every Sunday in the summer out of the Powerade Centre in Brampton. Lots of OHL, OJHL and midget players participate. Link below.

http://carnevalehockeygroup.com/
Thanks for the info.

Old
08-28-2012, 08:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
....I would have done the exact same thing!

Will his tirade ever end?

I saw the media release sent out and who was all elected. Pretty much the same names, which to me, if it isn't broken (which I believe) then don't fix it.
I think there are one or two new people, which is good. One of them has nothing to do with Mr. Cosman, I know. I think it's healthy to get new blood in there, although not all at the same time, but one or two every couple of years is good for the organization.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
jmkrangers
Rookie User

NHL Lockout

If there is an NHL Lockout this year can last year's overagers (Sol, Randell, Catenacci) come back to the Rangers

Last edited by jmkrangers: 08-28-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 09:18 PM
jmkrangers
Rookie User

Also are the Rangers going to have a 50th Anniversary Jersey/Logo?

Old
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrangers View Post
If there is an NHL Lockout this year can last year's overagers (Sol, Randell, Catenacci) come back to the Rangers
No..

Old
08-29-2012, 08:39 AM
chrysleraspen08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrangers View Post
Also are the Rangers going to have a 50th Anniversary Jersey/Logo?
On the first page of the training camp roster.
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/uplo...rt_2012_EV.pdf

Old
08-29-2012, 10:14 AM
BenchedGuy

was wondering where people thought we needed OA's on our roster to fill spots or improve positions?

I wouldnt mind seeing a top 4 D, a 2nd line winger and a energy hitting forward.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:53 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I like the special logo, but I'd rather see the Rangers shield bigger.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
was wondering where people thought we needed OA's on our roster to fill spots or improve positions?

I wouldnt mind seeing a top 4 D, a 2nd line winger and a energy hitting forward.
The trouble is that right now there isn't much available. I wouldn't have minded Chiarlitti, but Owen Sound snagged him.

Right now most of the OAs that are available would be filling a spot for the sake of having an OA. Spott may need to be patient, or maybe even hope a higher-end OA requests a trade here.

Old
08-29-2012, 03:35 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
They reviewed the financials - a few interesting points. Since 2003, the Rangers have donated $2.7 million to the community. Also, the expansion project is on schedule and expected to be about $100K above budget - peanuts compared to the overall $10 million price tag. They showed a video of the progress since December when the work started, and talked about the enhancements to both the training areas and the new seating. They are installing dehumidification devices, similar to the ones at ACC, which will help regulate the temperature in the Aud and more importantly result in better ice - a huge need.

They talked about the big coin they'll lose if the NHL lockout does come to pass and the entire NHL season is lost.

Briefly talked about the CHLPA - not much is known and the team will not make a statement. The players are being told they can speak with anyone about it but the team will not.

Discussed the legal goings on with the U of Michigan paper. Two days before the case was headed to court, the paper complied, and the court case was dropped. It was never about the money; it was about the ability to recruit. To this point, they don't know who the "unnamed sources" were.

Faksa is expected to be back, per Spott's conversations with Dallas. Crescenzi will not be attending training camp. Puempel is a kid they've had their eye on since his OHL draft. If Murphy hadn't been available when the Rangers drafted, they'd have taken Puempel. Spott will look at a Puempel-Faksa-Reider line. Also will have 3 OA's before January 10. They're treating this 50th anniversary year as a Memorial Cup year - they want it to be great.

Finally, Spott talked a bit about the situation going on in the Soo right now. He said that they spend time talking with the players about various and assorted situations they might find themselves in, and how to remove themselves. Also they bring in the Waterloo Regional Police to do seminars on the same thing.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 - it was wonderful. Although Mr. Cosman did have lackeys handing out papers at the entrance. I suggested to the young man who asked if I wanted one that he tell the man who asked him to distribute these to stick it. He asked where. I behaved like a lady and said "you choose".
did they say why they'd lose a lot of money?

Old
08-29-2012, 03:49 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
did they say why they'd lose a lot of money?
Every CHL team gets development money for their drafted players from the NHL. I believe they also said that the OHL receives money from the NHL, and that teams would be required to make up the amount that wouldn't be forthcoming if a lockout occurs. All told, the Rangers expect the total hit to be about $250K this year, if the NHL doesn't play.

Old
08-29-2012, 09:56 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

As far as defence goes: Cutting from OS or Levi from PLY interest me.

Up front: I would really like to see RW-Kantor or RW-Schoenmakers from SUD brought in . Especially Kantor! But LW-Brace from Missy is my 1st choice.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 08-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old
08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I like the special logo, but I'd rather see the Rangers shield bigger.

Predictable. It's an "insert team logo here" type of logo.

Whatever. Everything that could be done has already been done in the way of anniversary type logos/jerseys anyway.

As long as the Ranger logo is included, it'll sell. That's what matters.

Old
08-30-2012, 12:43 AM
pinkfloyd44

A good read/interview with Justin Bailey if anyone is interested

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...rd-ohl-career/

Old
08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Phatpat88

Kitchener Rangers Head Coach and General Manager Steve Spott announced that the team has reassigned the following 12 players as of Thursday, August 30, 2012. 

Defense
Danylo Znaczko
Aaron Thow
Frank Hora

Forwards

Adam Abu-Ali
Taylor Best
Nic Marchand
Daniel Volpe
Tyler Hoffman
Cameron Nicoll
Ty Learn