*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-06-2012, 10:51 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
So we could still potentially lose Faksa, Rieder, Murphy and Gibson....ouch.

So right now does our lineup look something like:

Puempel - Faksa - Rieder
Thomson - Sterk - Marcantouni
Ming - Alberga - Bailey
Schmalz - Meighan/Lesway - Llewellyn

Murphy - Fanelli/Iafrate
Fanelli/Iafrate - McEneny
Genovese/Young/Gilbert

Gibson
Palazzese
Moylan
You forgot Pederson.

I'd go like this to start the season....

Peumpel - Faksa - Thomson
Rieder - Sterk - Marcantouni (thats a fast line!)
Pederson - Alberga - Bailey
Schmalz - Meighan - Llewellyn
Ming - Lesway

Murphy - Fanelli
Iafrate - McEneny
Genovese - Gilbert
Young - Midensky

Gibson
Palazzese

Old
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
You forgot Pederson.

I'd go like this to start the season....

Ming - Lesway

Murphy - Fanelli
Iafrate - McEneny
Genovese - Gilbert
Young - Midensky

Gibson
Palazzese
oh ya, Pedersen. In my defense though its easy to see that I forgot him. Doesnt always stand out....good or bad. I like what you did there but I just dont know if Spott is going to spread out the scoring over the 2 lines.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:05 AM
ORYX

Quote:
oh ya, Pedersen. In my defense though its easy to see that I forgot him. Doesnt always stand out....good or bad. I like what you did there but I just dont know if Spott is going to spread out the scoring over the 2 lines.
I agree, I think Spott will start which what you have suggested (insert Pedersen), though I like to spread the scoring in hopes that putting talented players with the likes of Sterk, Marcantuoni and even Pedersen will improve their scoring as well.

I think we'll see Bailey up on one of the top units sooner then excepted as well. His hands are unreal.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I think we'll see Bailey up on one of the top units sooner then excepted as well. His hands are unreal.
I agree....with the cpl games I've seen he'll be a good one !!!

Old
09-06-2012, 11:21 AM
BenchedGuy

Right now with the limited 2 games I have seen Bailey, I like him better than Sterk so far. I hope he see special teams ice time. He has great hands and speed for a big man.

Does anyone know off hand or heard what area Mike MacKenzie will be handling?

Old
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Right now with the limited 2 games I have seen Bailey, I like him better than Sterk so far. I hope he see special teams ice time. He has great hands and speed for a big man.

Does anyone know off hand or heard what area Mike MacKenzie will be handling?
MacKenzie was assisting Fixter behind the bench with the D at the game I saw. As far as I know though once the season begins he will be in the box, with Troy Smith, Fixter and Spott behind the bench.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I think he's also going to handle the video coaching duties.

Old
09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Thanks thats what I was wondering. I know Fixter will be the D coach and Smith doing Special Teams/Offense with Spott. Didn't know if Mike was doing video coaching/review, strength/conditioning...etc.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Sounds like an ideal job for Fixter!!...grrrrrrrrrrr
If Spott would finally listen to me he would have Troy Smith handle the defence!

I would love to see the Rangers get back to the Deboer days in which it was rare for the Rangers to give up more than 30 SOG.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
BenchedGuy

[QUOTE=Ward Cornell;54130991]I would love to see the Rangers get back to the Deboer days in which it was rare for the Rangers to give up more than 30 SOG.[QUOTE]

And that you will never see as long as Fixter is on staff. We need to start a campaign.

Old
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Sounds like an ideal job for Fixter!!...grrrrrrrrrrr
If Spott would finally listen to me he would have Troy Smith handle the defence!

I would love to see the Rangers get back to the Deboer days in which it was rare for the Rangers to give up more than 30 SOG.
You and me both. Gibson and Franky must see rubber coming at them in their sleep at the rate the Rangers have been going these past few years.

Old
09-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Ward Cornell

[QUOTE=BenchedGuy;54131079][QUOTE=Ward Cornell;54130991]I would love to see the Rangers get back to the Deboer days in which it was rare for the Rangers to give up more than 30 SOG.
Quote:

And that you will never see as long as Fixter is on staff. We need to start a campaign.
at least from what I've read Fixter has a one year contract which he signed in the spring. With Mike McKenzie on board things may be looking up for a reshuffling.
I was interested to read where Matt Pepe is now an asst coach with the London Nationals.
I would hope if there's a change that SS would consider Pepe ......or if Dan Kelly stops playing pro!

Spott cuts about 20 kids and basically kills theirs dreams every Sept., he shouldn't find it hard to let Fixter go!

Old
09-06-2012, 07:56 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Well, we'll see. This isn't the high end OA forward that the Rangers need to play on their top six.

But since Spott has said he expects him to be our 3rd line checking center to play against the opponants top lines, this may be a good acquisition at a bargain. Methinks that Spott won't deal for another OA forward until he gets a much better idea as to whether AC actually sticks with the Marlies or not.

I believe that the last thing he'd want to do is have 4 valuable OA's on the roster at the deadline and be forced to give one of them away for next to nothing as was the case with Melchiori last year.
I think u will be surprised.he gives u 100% every shift.he was a steal for a 6th rounder.u won't be disappointed.good luck dom

Old
09-06-2012, 10:46 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I don't see the rush personally in adding any further O/A's at the moment. Wait and see with AC (though all indication is he will not be returned. period. According to Mike Farwell). They need to add a 2C, but that doesnt have to be an O/A, and they have pieces to deal.

With all due respect, the last time I checked, Farwell wasn't employed by the Leafs. Just because he says it doesn't make it so. No matter where Farwell may have gotten his inside info from, AC still has a training camp to go through and a few guys ahead of him on the depth chart he'd have to leapfrog over to stay with the Marlies all year. And no way the Leafs have him play ECHL. That would be a step down as far as skilled opposition goes.

Lots of players much better than him have played OA seasons in the OHL. AC is a beast on the faceoff, on the PK, and physically along the boards and in front of the net. But he has very modest numbers offensively. He actually disappointed last year as far as offense goes. Much more was expected from him on the scoresheet., The Leafs may send him back to find his scoring touch.

I'm expecting him to start with the Marlies and eventually find his way back here before the deadline. Therefore, if I'm Spott, I find an OA d-man and then sit back and wait until New Years for word on AC. By then, either he'll be returned or Spott can deal at the deadline for a top six OA forward.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:

Ming - Lesway

Forward lines I'd like to see:

Puempel / Marcantuoni / Rieder
- What better way to get MM to realize the potential he came into this league with - entering two probable 40+ goal scorers.
- now that's a faster line!

Thomson / Faksa / Ming
- Ming & Faksa can hopefully find that chemistry they had for a lot of last year.
- A bang and crash line that should put up a lot of points.
- If Ming can't get it done, it's a good spot to put another OA forward.

Sterk / Alberga / Bailey
- Sterk played wing last year in the playoffs and did a decent job there.
- Sterk also developed a knack for getting under the opponants skin last year as well. Since that is apparently part of Alberga's game as well, this could be an uncomfortable line to play against.
- Add Bailey's upside as an offensive player, and this line could provide offense most nights.

Meighan / Schmalz / Llewellyn
- a good mix of offensive youth and defensive, Scott Timmins in the making, type play. Meighan would see PK duties as well.

Spares: Pederson & Lesway
- Pederson is a spare because he's earned it as far as I'm concerned. Won't or can't hit. Seems afraid to go into the corners. Slow and no hands. Worst 1st rounder since Michael Pelech in '06. Hopefully Spott can get the return for him that DeBoer did for Pelech (Matt Halischuk)
- Today, I have Sterk, Meighan, Ming and the rookies ahead of him on my depth chart.
- Lesway had a decent camp should be a good player to drop into the lineup in a pinch. Next year should be his year to solidify a spot in the lineup.

These are my lines - not Spott's. Therefore, look for Pederson to get every opportunity to "prove Spott right" for using a 1st round pick on him. If that is the case, here's hoping he comes around. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
- Pederson is a spare because he's earned it as far as I'm concerned. Won't or can't hit. Seems afraid to go into the corners. Slow and no hands. Worst 1st rounder since Michael Pelech in '06. Hopefully Spott can get the return for him that DeBoer did for Pelech (Matt Halischuk)
- Today, I have Sterk, Meighan, Ming and the rookies ahead of him on my depth chart.
- Lesway had a decent camp should be a good player to drop into the lineup in a pinch. Next year should be his year to solidify a spot in the lineup.

These are my lines - not Spott's. Therefore, look for Pederson to get every opportunity to "prove Spott right" for using a 1st round pick on him. If that is the case, here's hoping he comes around. Stranger things have happened I suppose.
I agree with you a lot on Pederson but really disagree on his hands.
IMHO he has some of the better hands on the team, the problem his skating (or lack of) prevents him from getting to any pucks that are loose!

Old
09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Forward lines I'd like to see:

Spares: Pederson & Lesway

While I agree with you on Pedersen's production and game to this point. You either have to play him or trade him before his value goes down, while he still has potential.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Ward Cornell

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...e-trade_126515
Quote:
Kitchener Rangers General Manager and Head Coach Steve Spott announced today that the team has completed a trade with the Windsor Spitfires.

In the deal, the Rangers send import forward Juraj Bezuch and a conditional sixth round pick* in the 2013 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection to Windsor in exchange for forward Nick Czinder, defenseman Jeff Braithwaite and a seventh round pick in the 2014 Priority Selection.

*Kitchener’s sixth round pick is conditional on Jeff Braithwaite playing one game for the Kitchener Rangers in 2012-13 or being traded by the Rangers during in the 2012-13 season. At this time, Jeff has elected to pursue an educational opportunity and has not committed to playing his overage season.

Czinder posted career-best numbers with the Spitfires in 2011-12, recording 15 goals and 15 assists in 68 regular season games and two goals in four playoff appearances. Prior to making his Ontario Hockey League debut, he was named to the 2009-10 USHL All Star Game as a member of the Youngstown Phantoms.

Originally drafted by the Peterborough Petes in the second round of the 2008 OHL Priority Selection, Braithwaite joined Windsor last season via trade with the Kingston Frontenacs. He scored four goals and added 18 assists in 57 regular season contests last year. He also picked up one assist in four games during the postseason.
I can't believe Spott obtained these two players for nothing!

Old
09-07-2012, 05:14 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...e-trade_126515

I can't believe Spott obtained these two players for nothing!
I know what you are getting at but i dont see it as for free. I think this was actually a great move by Spott using the new import rule in his favor. Very smart and I am impressed with this trade.

Old
09-07-2012, 05:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Good moves by the Rangers getting 3 O/A s in the process and not giving up alot
Shores them up in alot of areas,gives the team some needed grit

Old
09-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Spitsfan67*

Czinder has no grit and dosent hit really, that's why all the spits fans called him Czinder Block...if he used his body more to his advantage he would be pretty dominate

Old
09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Czinder has no grit and dosent hit really, that's why all the spits fans called him Czinder Block...if he used his body more to his advantage he would be pretty dominate
I was more speaking about Alberga and Braithwaite
Czinder for his size sure could be meaner,he can fight but it takes a long time to get angry

Old
09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I was more speaking about Alberga and Braithwaite
Czinder for his size sure could be meaner,he can fight but it takes a long time to get angry
We've seen players like that before and sometimes all it takes is being traded (Czinder) or waived (Bezuch) to light the fire!
Both teams traded something they already had in spades.

Old
09-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Ottomatic

Czinder has the longest fuse in history, but when he is legit pissed and drops the gloves he's hard to handle since he's so bloody big. He lead our team in bench presses this year at our fitness testing. Don't expect him to be a checker or an enforcer though, he's a 3rd line power forward type, but he's a finesse power forward if that makes sense.

Old
09-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
he's so bloody big.
Long fuses works mighty fine with Spott....he hates hot heads!
Czinder won't stand out as big on the Rangers...Matt Schmalz 16 yrs 6'-5",
Ben Thomson 6'-4", Justin Bailey 6'-4", Radek Faksa 6'-3" plus the Rangers have 5 other players over 6'-2" and all can play.
There's also a very good chance that Crescenzi will be sent back by the Leafs and he's 6'-4"

Just a few years the Rangers were nothing but smurfs

Closed Thread