Old
09-07-2012, 07:23 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Good moves by the Rangers getting 3 O/A s in the process and not giving up alot
Shores them up in alot of areas,gives the team some needed grit

Agreed. I expect Braithwaite to report. Why wouldn't he? He was happy to be dealt here a few days ago.

Getting this done now gives Spott lots of time to see if these three OA's are really good enough to be factors on a championship team.

The OA with the biggest question mark is Czinder. To me, this seems like Brian Soso all over again. The Rangers turned him into a player and I expect Spott to try and do the same with Czinder. If he does, then that's great.

Both OA forwards will have the extra incentive to impress because if AC is ever returned from the Marlies, one of them will be the odd man out.

The fact we filled three OA spots without giving up any of our valuable youth smells of one thing ... Blockbuster trade coming! As was stated above, we now have 15 forwards and 10 d-men who can play in this league. This can't last. don't be surprised if Spott doesn't put together the type of deal that brought Mason here for the '08 Memorial Cup run.

We sent C-Kadri, RW-Varone and D-Tarasuk to London for Mason.

We could send, say, LW-Pederson, C-Sterk, and D-Gilbert (3 young players with huge upside) to a rebuilding team for their #1 veteran '93 born forward without losing much off our roster. Here's how that could look:

Puempel / Faksa / Rieder
Thomson / incoming F / Marcantuoni
Czinder / Alberga / Bailey
Meighan / Schmalz / Llewellyn

Lesway / Ming

Murphy / Braithwaite
Iafrate / McEneny
Genovese / Fanelli

Young / Midensky
Stewart

If the incoming forward is a winger, I see the above. If he's a centerman, I'd put MM at second line RW and go with him and Faksa as the top two centermen.

Old
09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
The fact we filled three OA spots without giving up any of our valuable youth smells of one thing ... Blockbuster trade coming! As was stated above, we now have 15 forwards and 10 d-men who can play in this league. This can't last. don't be surprised if Spott doesn't put together the type of deal that brought Mason here for the '08 Memorial Cup run.

We sent C-Kadri, RW-Varone and D-Tarasuk to London for Mason.

We could send, say, LW-Pederson, C-Sterk, and D-Gilbert (3 young players with huge upside) to a rebuilding team for their #1 veteran '93 born forward without losing much off our roster. Here's how that could look:

Puempel / Faksa / Rieder
Thomson / incoming F / Marcantuoni
Czinder / Alberga / Bailey
Meighan / Schmalz / Llewellyn

Lesway / Ming

Murphy / Braithwaite
Iafrate / McEneny
Genovese / Fanelli

Young / Midensky
Stewart

If the incoming forward is a winger, I see the above. If he's a centerman, I'd put MM at second line RW and go with him and Faksa as the top two centermen.

.....and, now that I've had a few minutes to look over the rosters of the handful of teams who many feel will be, say, 7th to 10th in each conference, I've come up with a few guys who could be put on the market once the lock out is over and players are returned to their junior teams for the season.

Of course, the following players don't all hold the same value so the return they'd bring would vary. Any one though are affordable for the Rangers considering the depth of quality youth on the roster. Most are forwards but there are a few d-men who I couldn't overlook who would interest me and make our team better if they were made available.

Niagrara - C-Ryan Strome and D-Dougie Hamilton. It's possible that neither of these guys see the light of day in the OHL this year. Both could make their NHL teams. But, in the event they are returned and eventually made available, either of them could be the guy to push us over the top, so to speak. Faksa and Strome would be a dominant one two punch down the middle. Or how would Hamilton look beside Murphy on the top pairing?

Soo - C-Nick Cousins and D-Ryan Sproul. This duo would be a step down the ladder from Strome/Hamilton, but either would be a big help to the Rangers. Cousins may be put on the market anyway after his current off ice situation. As long as Spott feels he can rope him in so that teammates aren't forced to run around and put out his on ice fires all season, he could really be huge centering the second line. Sproul would be an excellant replacement for Sol's minutes on the top pairing.

Saginaw - C-Vincent Trochek. Another highly productive center who would look good on this roster.

Sudbury - LW-Josh Leivo and D-Juston Sefton. As a right shooting left winger, perhaps Leivo on the right side with Marcantuoni at center and LW-Thomson would create a damn good second line. Sefton would be the physical force to play on the top unit with Murphy. Perfect replacement for Sol's minutes. One of the best fighters in the league and therefore, doesn't have to much as a result.

Mississauga - D- Stuart Percy. Not much in the way of quality 93's on that roster. As a team that might eventually clean house, Percy would bring Missy the most in trade. I'd take Hamilton, Sproul or Sefton first, but Percy is right up with those guys in terms of what he'd bring to a contending team - and there's that Memorial cup experience to consider.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 09-08-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old
09-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Soo - C-Nick Cousins and D-Ryan Sproul. This duo would be a step down the ladder from Strome/Hamilton, but either would be a big help to the Rangers. Cousins may be put on the market anyway after his current off ice situation. As long as Spott feels he can rope him in so that teammates aren't forced to run around and put out his on ice fires all season, he could really be huge centering the second line. Sproul would be an excellant replacement for Sol's minutes on the top pairing.
Cousins the player I would be very interested in, but not sure if his sideshow is actually a positive for any team.
Maybe he's learned his life's lesson and will have grown up on ice and off?
But one item still not answered about Cousins, if he's playing this year, will he be allowed to enter the USA to play hockey?
Obtaining Cousins and he's not allowed to play in the USA during the playoffs wouldn't be worth it.

Geesch....four sentences about Cousins and 2 of them are questions!
Intuition?

Old
09-09-2012, 12:43 PM
EvenSteven

According to LoneRanger, Braithwaite has turned down the Rangers. The Rangers are bringing in Sudbury OA Ryan Hanes for a tryout.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
BenchedGuy

For those interested in the OHL opener in Mississauga. The individual tickets finally went on sale through ticketmaster. Pick them up and hope to see you all there.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
For those interested in the OHL opener in Mississauga. The individual tickets finally went on sale through ticketmaster. Pick them up and hope to see you all there.
Great, tickets are available and should go real quick with the new Renos and the team being iced this year.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
ORYX

Got my tickets! Will be making the drive from Kitchener!

By the looks of the ticket master "Select your seats option" there are tonnes of seats available (of course taking into account that today is the frist day to get individual tickets)

Though it didnt seem like there were mant blocked out in the premium area's where season ticket holders normally sit.

How many STH'ers does Missy have?

Old
09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
How many STH'ers does Missy have?
Virtually none lol.

Old
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Got my tickets! Will be making the drive from Kitchener!

By the looks of the ticket master "Select your seats option" there are tonnes of seats available (of course taking into account that today is the frist day to get individual tickets)

Though it didnt seem like there were mant blocked out in the premium area's where season ticket holders normally sit.
It's Mississauga, you can sit anywhere you want. Just be forewarned, you may be lonely in that big rink all by yourself

Old
09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Phatpat88

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
It's Mississauga, you can sit anywhere you want. Just be forewarned, you may be lonely in that big rink all by yourself
If you go to a ticketmaster place they have better seats avilable than what online has

Old
09-11-2012, 10:14 AM
BenchedGuy

Any new info on Ryan Hanes?

With Czinder and Alberga, that creates quite the log jam in our lineup. By my count that leaves 3 OHL forwards and 2 d that need to find a home. We could create a pretty good package to upgrade our roster somewhere. The players we may have available are young with alot of potential.

Old
09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Any new info on Ryan Hanes?

With Czinder and Alberga, that creates quite the log jam in our lineup. By my count that leaves 3 OHL forwards and 2 d that need to find a home. We could create a pretty good package to upgrade our roster somewhere. The players we may have available are young with alot of potential.
The team is currently carrying 15 forwards and 10 D with hanes.

Something has to give, as all are capable of playing in the OHL, and the 3 forwards sitting out right now have a full season under their belts, while the D sitting out have all played parts of last season at the least, with a very capable rookie.

Spott said moves will be made this week to shore up the numbers.

I suspect he is waiting to get a better idea on Hanes before pulling the trigger on something.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:04 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Nah, he'll have lots of Rangers fans for company!

Got mine too.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
The team is currently carrying 15 forwards and 10 D with hanes.

Something has to give, as all are capable of playing in the OHL, and the 3 forwards sitting out right now have a full season under their belts, while the D sitting out have all played parts of last season at the least, with a very capable rookie.

Spott said moves will be made this week to shore up the numbers.

I suspect he is waiting to get a better idea on Hanes before pulling the trigger on something.
There are two problems for Kitchener right now in the numbers game:

1. No one has really stepped up in the pre-season. You have your roster locks, but of the other kids, none have set themselves apart from the others. So Spott is left looking at a lot of decent, but not a lot of sure-things.

2. At this point, most teams feel they have competitive rosters and most teams have extra bodies who feel they are OHL players looking for homes. So it's really a bad time to be looking to off-load depth assets unless you're doing it as a favour to them. If you're doing it to upgrade your roster, not much aside from depth picks are on the table.

Bottom line: Spott is going to have to make a couple of kids unhappy in the next few weeks and unless he moves some of the higher-end bodies, he won't have much luck bringing in upgrades.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
There are two problems for Kitchener right now in the numbers game:

1. No one has really stepped up in the pre-season. You have your roster locks, but of the other kids, none have set themselves apart from the others. So Spott is left looking at a lot of decent, but not a lot of sure-things.

2. At this point, most teams feel they have competitive rosters and most teams have extra bodies who feel they are OHL players looking for homes. So it's really a bad time to be looking to off-load depth assets unless you're doing it as a favour to them. If you're doing it to upgrade your roster, not much aside from depth picks are on the table.

Bottom line: Spott is going to have to make a couple of kids unhappy in the next few weeks and unless he moves some of the higher-end bodies, he won't have much luck bringing in upgrades.
I still think there would be an opportunity with a team that doesnt have that much depth or is re-building. We may have to overpay to acquire as you said there rosters are more or less set, but I still think its possible.

I be the first to admit that I dont know other teams rosters that great but I look at a team like Saginaw that could use some young d-men (imo). Would they be willing to trade a Trocheck or Locke for maybe Ming and a d-man or 2? It replaces to a lesser degree their forward being lost and gives them an upgrade in their D. I would think that Trocheck would fit in our top 6 just fine.

Just throwing out idea's, maybe not the best team for an example but you get the jest.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
ORYX

Kitchener's depth forwards have very little value. Every team has a Ming, Meighan and Lesway.

Not every team has strong defensive depth, or mid range players.

If Kitchener is to acquire a Trochek, with their draft cupboard fairly bare, they'll have to part ways with a Gilbert, Genovese, Pedersen type talent, along with a lesser player and picks.

I like that they have strong depth, with Murphy, Faksa, Rieder and Gibson gone for WJC duty (Murphy at the least the camp), and the potential of Peumpel as well to the camp depending on his start to the season, the depth they have now will be crucial to get them through.

Something has to give on the blueline anyways, Spott isnt going to carry 10 d-men all year. I can Midensky and Young remaining as depth guys, while one of the better bottom pairing players is dealt for stronger forward depth, and Stewart returned to junior ranks (as much as I think he deserves a shot at the OHL, the Rangers have too many mid range d-men to fit him in this season, unless they trade one or more of them for an upgraded top pairing d-man)

Decisions I'm glad that I'm not making.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Kitchener's depth forwards have very little value. Every team has a Ming, Meighan and Lesway.

Not every team has strong defensive depth, or mid range players.

If Kitchener is to acquire a Trochek, with their draft cupboard fairly bare, they'll have to part ways with a Gilbert, Genovese, Pedersen type talent, along with a lesser player and picks.

I like that they have strong depth, with Murphy, Faksa, Rieder and Gibson gone for WJC duty (Murphy at the least the camp), and the potential of Peumpel as well to the camp depending on his start to the season, the depth they have now will be crucial to get them through.

Something has to give on the blueline anyways, Spott isnt going to carry 10 d-men all year. I can Midensky and Young remaining as depth guys, while one of the better bottom pairing players is dealt for stronger forward depth, and Stewart returned to junior ranks (as much as I think he deserves a shot at the OHL, the Rangers have too many mid range d-men to fit him in this season, unless they trade one or more of them for an upgraded top pairing d-man)

Decisions I'm glad that I'm not making.
That's fine too. I was just using Ming as an example. Pedersen (to me) is in the same boat. If that's what it will take to upgrade our top 6 then I am all for it.

While our depth isnt necessarily interchangeable, I feel they are all capable of performing in the slots we all have them penciled in for.

I guess the point is we should still be able to package our depth to improve our top 6 or maybe a top 4 D.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Tim Wallach

I guess it depends what you consider to be depth. Pederson is a 17-year-old 1st round pick at 6'3. Yes, he's currently a depth player and hasn't blossomed yet, but that's a valuable chip.

Gilbert, to a lesser degree, holds value as a young, mobile defenceman with upside. But when I scour the roster, aside from maybe Sterk, I don't see much else I'd consider "depth" that Kitchener could move for anything of value.

If you start moving McEneny, Iafrate or Marcantuoni, those are top-4/top-6 chips currently.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
ORYX

Quote:
I guess it depends what you consider to be depth. Pederson is a 17-year-old 1st round pick at 6'3. Yes, he's currently a depth player and hasn't blossomed yet, but that's a valuable chip.

Gilbert, to a lesser degree, holds value as a young, mobile defenceman with upside. But when I scour the roster, aside from maybe Sterk, I don't see much else I'd consider "depth" that Kitchener could move for anything of value.

If you start moving McEneny, Iafrate or Marcantuoni, those are top-4/top-6 chips currently.
Absolutely, the players you mention in McEneny, Iafrate and Marcantuoni arent going anywhere.

The reason i mention Pedersen, is because he is the only forward that is known around the league that has value, which i could see the team parting with in a year which Spott wishes to go for it.

And with this year, and the liklihood of 2 more seasons, possilbly 3, he'd have to fetch a top player who has game breaking ability, that could return next year.

Depending on the Franky P. situation and the looming lock-out, thats another chip as trade bait.

Franky, Pedersen, one of Genovese or Gilbert would return a star IMO. My preference being Genovese out the door as he is a year older then Gilbert, and the Rangers already have Iafrate, McEneny, Midensky and Young as 94's, the former 2 being of much higher quality, the latter two holding little to no trade value.

IMO, Spott should wait until late November, early December before making any big move like that though. Moylan should also handle the WJC duty when Gibson is gone so that we know if he has the stones to step in when needed, or if a back-up needs to be acquired. Keeping in Mind it was Franky that asked the team for a starters position if it's available somewhere.

Old
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Absolutely, the players you mention in McEneny, Iafrate and Marcantuoni arent going anywhere.

The reason i mention Pedersen, is because he is the only forward that is known around the league that has value, which i could see the team parting with in a year which Spott wishes to go for it.

And with this year, and the liklihood of 2 more seasons, possilbly 3, he'd have to fetch a top player who has game breaking ability, that could return next year.

Depending on the Franky P. situation and the looming lock-out, thats another chip as trade bait.

Franky, Pedersen, one of Genovese or Gilbert would return a star IMO. My preference being Genovese out the door as he is a year older then Gilbert, and the Rangers already have Iafrate, McEneny, Midensky and Young as 94's, the former 2 being of much higher quality, the latter two holding little to no trade value.

IMO, Spott should wait until late November, early December before making any big move like that though. Moylan should also handle the WJC duty when Gibson is gone so that we know if he has the stones to step in when needed, or if a back-up needs to be acquired. Keeping in Mind it was Franky that asked the team for a starters position if it's available somewhere.
I agree with almost all of that. Franky is a chip in play for sure. Goalies are hard to gauge though price-wise. But Pedersen should return good value. I kind of doubt he'll move Genovese as that's a kid who is likely to play three more seasons counting his OA and is the only D-man truly in the "tough, stay at home" mould on that roster.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:37 PM
ORYX

Quote:
I agree with almost all of that. Franky is a chip in play for sure. Goalies are hard to gauge though price-wise. But Pedersen should return good value. I kind of doubt he'll move Genovese as that's a kid who is likely to play three more seasons counting his OA and is the only D-man truly in the "tough, stay at home" mould on that roster.
Aside from Iafrate.

But out of Gilbert or Genovese who do you move?

Gilbert is a 1995 birth, has another 4 (including O/A), is a slick skating d-man who is great at moving the puck.

Genovese is a 1994 (Same as Iafrate, McEneny, Young and Midensky), a tough stay at home d-man.

Both have great upside and longevity left in this league.

The option remains to keep both, but you sit one each night. Provides excellent depth, but for either to continue in their development they need to see the ice with regularity.

IMO, unless Hanes is hands down a great improvement on the top pairing, I dont keep him. Its odd that no OHL has traded for him yet having been sent home weeks ago, and if Charlie Doderdo occupies an O/A spot over you, that isnt saying much....

I hope to be proven wrong, though it makes things pleasantly crowded on the Blueline.

Old
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Tim Wallach

I wouldn't call Iafrate a tough, stay at home guy. He's tough enough (not the fighter that Genovese is), but he likes to wheel up ice and jump into the offence and he can be a run-around guy in his own end. But I digress. He's solid.

I just look at Kitchener's roster currently and if they're going to contend this year, they're more in need of an 18-year-old, big, tough, stay-at-home guy than a 17-year-old, smallish puck-mover. Hence, I'd be dangling Gilbert first. That's if this season is the big goal and I think it is.

Old
09-12-2012, 07:15 PM
NHL Fanatic

If if they were going for the season I still wouldn't trade Gilbert. Too much potential, I like his game. That's just my opinion though.

Old
09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Aside from Iafrate.

But out of Gilbert or Genovese who do you move?

Gilbert is a 1995 birth, has another 4 (including O/A), is a slick skating d-man who is great at moving the puck.

Genovese is a 1994 (Same as Iafrate, McEneny, Young and Midensky), a tough stay at home d-man.

Both have great upside and longevity left in this league.

The option remains to keep both, but you sit one each night. Provides excellent depth, but for either to continue in their development they need to see the ice with regularity.
That's easy. I'd trade Gilbert 100%.
Genovese is the only big, tough stay at home guy we have. Someone mentioned Iafrate. Does he have any more than a fight or two as a Ranger? I don't remember if he even has that many. Genovese has three years left including his OA season. IMO, he's a TJ Eason clone and that's the kind of player you win with on defense. OA Eason was on the 3rd pairing during our Memorial Cup year and because of that, the coaching staff felt confident in playing that 3rd pairing more than 5 minutes a game during the long playoff run - unlike our third pairing last year.

Gilbert is a year younger and has a big upside as a future PP QB. Therefore, I feel he has bigger value on the trade market. We already have three good PP QB type guys ahead of him on the roster (Murphy, Iafrate, and McEneny). Iafrate and McEneny will be back next year and you never know, one may play an OA season. That makes Gilbert expendable. He is the best d-man who can be dealt that wouldn't be missed this year.

And I 100% don't keep both because if we are going to win a championship, we need more high end help. Therefore, since we have few high draft picks available for trade, assets going the other way in a deal will have to come from the current roster.

Quote:
IMO, unless Hanes is hands down a great improvement on the top pairing, I dont keep him. Its odd that no OHL has traded for him yet having been sent home weeks ago, and if Charlie Doderdo occupies an O/A spot over you, that isnt saying much....

I hope to be proven wrong, though it makes things pleasantly crowded on the Blueline.

100% agree! If he can't play on our top pairing, then he isn't improving our team. I understand Spott doing his due dilligence and exhausting all avenues before paying the steep price of bringing in a very good d-man to play beside Murphy but eventually, he may have to. If Hanes was top pairing calibre, he'd be in demand and there wouldn't be any 5 day tryouts.

Dodero has improved a lot since leaving the Rangers. The Wolves like him. Their fans like him. Nuff said there. Young reminds me of him a bit in that Dodero had a hard time getting into games due to a deep backend as well. A deal to another team allowed for more icetime and better development to the point where Dodero is a solid stay at home guy himself.

With that in mind, I would look into getting Young into a better situation with another team. We have to reduce the bodies on the back end. Moving him and keeping Stewart would give us better age balance as well. With this done, along with moving Gilbert and after we pick up a guy to play with Murphy, we'd look like this:

Murphy-93 / OAer-92
Iafrate-94 / McEneny-94
Fanelli-93 / Genovese-94

Stewart-95 / Midensky-94

Old
09-12-2012, 11:12 PM
EvenSteven

On a Trochek deal:

Ming and two excess d-men won't get that done. Trochek is comparable to Puempel and that deal was Lorentz and two 2nd rounders. I understand adding Ming but we don't have many more picks to toss around. Therefore, maybe this gets the deal done:

To Kit:
93C - Trocheck

To Sag:
95LW - Pederson
93RW Ming
2013 2nd rounder (I assume we have that pick)

On Marcantuoni:

ORYX, he may not be going anywhere but the coaching staff has to put him into a good position to excel. Right now, I see in his game the same as we've always seen - lot's of flash and dash and no finish.

Before any deal for a high end centerman, I feel MM has to be tried at center (his natural position) between Rieder and Puempel - and for more than a game or two. If he can realize his potential on that line, then we've solved two issues - his stagnated game and strengthening the second line by having Faksa centering it. Then, instead of dealing for Trochek, who is a centerman, we could deal for a high end RWer, like maybe right shooting LWer Josh Leivo of Sudbury (66GP-32G-41A-72pts), who may come a little cheaper than Trochek. Leivo could be tried on the right side or, failing that, Thomson could be tried on his opposite wing. After that, our top two lines would look like this:

93-Puempel / 94-Marcantuoni / 93-Rieder
93-Leivo / 94-Faksa / 93-Thomson

Closed Thread