*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2012, 08:04 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I wouldn't call Iafrate a tough, stay at home guy. He's tough enough (not the fighter that Genovese is), but he likes to wheel up ice and jump into the offence and he can be a run-around guy in his own end. But I digress. He's solid.

I just look at Kitchener's roster currently and if they're going to contend this year, they're more in need of an 18-year-old, big, tough, stay-at-home guy than a 17-year-old, smallish puck-mover. Hence, I'd be dangling Gilbert first. That's if this season is the big goal and I think it is.
I call Iafrate tough not on account of him fighting, but on account of his style of play, and this preseason has confirmed it for me again. He is well positioned entering his zone of the ice, and is always looking to put someone through the boards. He doesnt take crap from anyone, and while that doesnt result in fights, you can see the fight in him.

Watch as he skates around the ice, he looks like to could kill a man.

I do like Genovese, I just fear Gilbert will bite us in the butt if traded. Its one of those situations, where the lack of bonafide forward depth and draft picks means the team has to deal from the only position of strength, goaltending and defence. I believe it is inevitable that one of these two is dealt for a vet. Would be nice if Dougie Hamilton was back

Murphy - Hamilton
Iafrate - McEneny
Fanelli - Genovese
Stewart (Deal Gilbert and Young, re-assign Midensky)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
On a Trochek deal:

Ming and two excess d-men won't get that done. Trochek is comparable to Puempel and that deal was Lorentz and two 2nd rounders. I understand adding Ming but we don't have many more picks to toss around. Therefore, maybe this gets the deal done:

On Marcantuoni:

Before any deal for a high end centerman, I feel MM has to be tried at center (his natural position) between Rieder and Puempel - and for more than a game or two. If he can realize his potential on that line, then we've solved two issues - his stagnated game and strengthening the second line by having Faksa centering it. Then, instead of dealing for Trochek, who is a centerman, we could deal for a high end RWer, like maybe right shooting LWer Josh Leivo of Sudbury (66GP-32G-41A-72pts), who may come a little cheaper than Trochek. Leivo could be tried on the right side or, failing that, Thomson could be tried on his opposite wing. After that, our top two lines would look like this:

93-Puempel / 94-Marcantuoni / 93-Rieder
93-Leivo / 94-Faksa / 93-Thomson
Who suggested Ming and two D? I suggested Pedersen, Gilbert and Genovese are pieces that are likely in play? A team like Sudbury could use a Goalie as well. I know Spott has said he wants to get his deals done eearly so the team can mesh, but with the NHL looking like they'll lock-out, its uncertain who will be returned to the team (I assume all, but might miss out on Murphy), and I believe this factors into who is dealt at the moment, as well for other teams.

Leivo is a good player, someone who you are right, could come at less then the high end players out there. Sudbury wont be making a run this year, or next so perhaps now is the time for them to cut some players and start things fresh.

Another player I am interested in is Nick Cousins, despite his current legal proceedings. I believe he could be had for cheaper as a result, though they would want to find out all the ins and outs of that situation before they treaded those waters.

I do like the idea of Marcantuoni at center, opens up the trade options. Though he'd have to prove he can win a draw or things will get fishy in a hurry.

Old
09-13-2012, 12:49 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I call Iafrate tough not on account of him fighting, but on account of his style of play, and this preseason has confirmed it for me again. He is well positioned entering his zone of the ice, and is always looking to put someone through the boards. He doesnt take crap from anyone, and while that doesnt result in fights, you can see the fight in him.

Watch as he skates around the ice, he looks like to could kill a man.

I do like Genovese, I just fear Gilbert will bite us in the butt if traded. Its one of those situations, where the lack of bonafide forward depth and draft picks means the team has to deal from the only position of strength, goaltending and defence. I believe it is inevitable that one of these two is dealt for a vet. Would be nice if Dougie Hamilton was back

Murphy - Hamilton
Iafrate - McEneny
Fanelli - Genovese
Stewart (Deal Gilbert and Young, re-assign Midensky)

Who suggested Ming and two D? I suggested Pedersen, Gilbert and Genovese are pieces that are likely in play? A team like Sudbury could use a Goalie as well. I know Spott has said he wants to get his deals done eearly so the team can mesh, but with the NHL looking like they'll lock-out, its uncertain who will be returned to the team (I assume all, but might miss out on Murphy), and I believe this factors into who is dealt at the moment, as well for other teams.

Leivo is a good player, someone who you are right, could come at less then the high end players out there. Sudbury wont be making a run this year, or next so perhaps now is the time for them to cut some players and start things fresh.

Another player I am interested in is Nick Cousins, despite his current legal proceedings. I believe he could be had for cheaper as a result, though they would want to find out all the ins and outs of that situation before they treaded those waters.

I do like the idea of Marcantuoni at center, opens up the trade options. Though he'd have to prove he can win a draw or things will get fishy in a hurry.
Well, Gilbert's name is out there in a big way so that trade is probably imminent. For who or what no one knows for now.

Old
09-13-2012, 01:01 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Well, Gilbert's name is out there in a big way so that trade is probably imminent. For who or what no one knows for now.
Where did you hear Gilbert is being shopped?

Old
09-13-2012, 08:00 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Who suggested Ming and two D? I suggested Pedersen, Gilbert and Genovese are pieces that are likely in play? A team like Sudbury could use a Goalie as well.
BenchedGuy suggested Ming and 2 d-men in his post yesterday.

I don't know if the Wolves are looking for goaltending. They currently have a goalie as one of their OA's (Joel Vienneau) who played half the games last year.

Dealing Frankie may not be so easy - especially for fair market value. Most teams are usually set in goal going into the regular season so the prospective trade partners are usually few. Therefore, to get the most for him, he'd have to deal him soon - but he can't until he's 100% sure Gibson will be here all year.

Spott may have to hang onto Frankie longer than he planned - or trade him to a team looking for playoff insurance for a mid-round pick or two. The longer he holds onto him, the value may slip - unless some top contender's goalie goes down with a season ending injury.

I'd rather keep him and have him as the #1 next year as an OA than get what Spott eventually got for Josh Unice. It was strongly rumored that Spott turned down Justin Shugg for Unice in September, instead, holding out for more. Unice's stock dropped to the point where he was basically a throw in to complete the Shutron/Timmins for Maxwell deadline deal with Windsor.

I know its early and its only ex-games, but Frankie hasn't really been "on fire" so far this preseason.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:52 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
BenchedGuy suggested Ming and 2 d-men in his post yesterday.

I don't know if the Wolves are looking for goaltending. They currently have a goalie as one of their OA's (Joel Vienneau) who played half the games last year.

Dealing Frankie may not be so easy - especially for fair market value. Most teams are usually set in goal going into the regular season so the prospective trade partners are usually few. Therefore, to get the most for him, he'd have to deal him soon - but he can't until he's 100% sure Gibson will be here all year.

Spott may have to hang onto Frankie longer than he planned - or trade him to a team looking for playoff insurance for a mid-round pick or two. The longer he holds onto him, the value may slip - unless some top contender's goalie goes down with a season ending injury.

I'd rather keep him and have him as the #1 next year as an OA than get what Spott eventually got for Josh Unice. It was strongly rumored that Spott turned down Justin Shugg for Unice in September, instead, holding out for more. Unice's stock dropped to the point where he was basically a throw in to complete the Shutron/Timmins for Maxwell deadline deal with Windsor.

I know its early and its only ex-games, but Frankie hasn't really been "on fire" so far this preseason.
My rationale for trading him soon is that Gibson will not stick in the NHL this season. Although he is eligible for the AHL, it is highly unlikely that he gets assigned to the AHL once the lock-out is over with Deslauriers there already among others. And lets be serious, this is going to be a season losing lockout.

The team needs to know, whether its now or at Christmas if Jack Moyan is a capable back-up, as Franky wont be around all year. If Moylan is not capable of carrying the load then a vet back-up needs to be had.

The longer you keep Franky, the more assurance you have that you've got a great starting goalie, but you also harbour an unhappy goalie in your dressing room.

John Gibson is the guy, not Franky Palazzese. They both know that, the team knows that.

Teams that could use a goalie are or where Palazzese is an obvious upgrade are:

Sudbury (Vienneau sucks, lets be serious)
Kingston (unlikely as he came from there)
Mississauga
Niagara - Festarini could be part of the return to back up Gibson
Peterborough

It's a limited pool yes, the return wont be as strong as we all hope I suspect, though its better then him turning into a locker room cancer. He seems like he is handling it very professionally, and thats what I think will happen.

Maybe Spott convinces him to stay, back-up, get all the christmas time with Gibson gone and really push for starts down the wire. He would be an excellent O/A goalie next year with Gibson gone, and would be bonus insurance is Gibson gets hurt down the stretch. I dont like the idea of trading him, but give the guy credit, he wants to start and it more then capable of doing so on most OHL teams.

Old
09-14-2012, 02:27 PM
NHL Fanatic

Kitchener continues to stockpile defensemen, they have acquired OA Ryan Hanes from Sudbury for a conditional 14th round pick

Old
09-14-2012, 02:47 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Kitchener continues to stockpile defensemen, they have acquired OA Ryan Hanes from Sudbury for a conditional 14th round pick
He's been in Kitchener on a 5 day tryout.

My best guess is that they want to see him in Exhibition action tonight against Barrie, and they can't do that on a tryout while under the control of another team.

14th rounder to check him out in game action, if he makes the opening day roster I'm sure the pick turns into a mid round selection.

Old
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
He's been in Kitchener on a 5 day tryout.

My best guess is that they want to see him in Exhibition action tonight against Barrie, and they can't do that on a tryout while under the control of another team.

14th rounder to check him out in game action, if he makes the opening day roster I'm sure the pick turns into a mid round selection.
Well he's officially a Ranger now

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 09-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old
09-14-2012, 04:22 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
The longer you keep Franky, the more assurance you have that you've got a great starting goalie, but you also harbour an unhappy goalie in your dressing room.

John Gibson is the guy, not Franky Palazzese. They both know that, the team knows that.

Mississauga
Peterborough

It's a limited pool yes, the return wont be as strong as we all hope I suspect, though its better then him turning into a locker room cancer. He seems like he is handling it very professionally, and thats what I think will happen.

Maybe Spott convinces him to stay, back-up, get all the christmas time with Gibson gone and really push for starts down the wire. He would be an excellent O/A goalie next year with Gibson gone, and would be bonus insurance is Gibson gets hurt down the stretch. I dont like the idea of trading him, but give the guy credit, he wants to start and it more then capable of doing so on most OHL teams.

I like the possibility with a deal with Sudbury (I have no idea whether or not Vienneau is any good. Just assumed he was decent enough for them to use an OA spot on) especially if we can get OA RW-Kantor back in the deal. Send them Czinder and Frankie for Kantor and a pick and I'm happy.

But no way I take bargain basement return for him. He'd be more valuable to us as an OA next year. Right now, on the current roster, the possible OA's for next year are Thomson, Ming, Frankie, and Fanelli. (Murphy, Puempel, Rieder and Gibson will graduate).

Thomson, Frankie and Fanelli would be a good OA group IMO. Ming not so much. Therefore, because there isn't a bunch of OA candidates to choose from, maybe Spott talking Frankie into sticking around with the promise as #1 next year may be possible. He'd still get 25+ games this year once you factor in Gibson at the WJC.

Old
09-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Radzy

Quote:
My rationale for trading him soon is that Gibson will not stick in the NHL this season. Although he is eligible for the AHL, it is highly unlikely that he gets assigned to the AHL once the lock-out is over with Deslauriers there already among others. And lets be serious, this is going to be a season losing lockout.

The team needs to know, whether its now or at Christmas if Jack Moyan is a capable back-up, as Franky wont be around all year. If Moylan is not capable of carrying the load then a vet back-up needs to be had.

Mississauga
Peterborough

I would be happy to see him come to Peterborough as he could mentor Vaz and we would be better between the pipes

Old
09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
New Fan Here

Hi all,

So as of next Sunday (the 23rd) I'll have moved to Kitchener from Timmins. With the lockout highly likely I am thinking of jumping on the Rangers fanwagon to both qwell my hockey cravings and because I am excited to finally have a home team to cheer for.

Any new tips for a new fan??? Who are our stars?? Do we possess any elite talent?? I know we had Landeskog from 2009-11. Ticket prices are very very good from what I've read online ($20-25 yes?).

Am thinking of bringing my fiancee to a live game after we settle in and I get familiar with the who'se who of our roster. Speaking of which, are all Rangers games broadcast on Rogers or will I need that "OHL Action Pak???" as well in order to catch every game of the season. While I am on the subject, what is that OHL Action Pak thing anyways???

Any tidbits or helpful facts you guys care to share to help me will be great. Am looking forward to living in your community very soon and cheering on your/our Rangers.

Old
09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Hi all,

So as of next Sunday (the 23rd) I'll have moved to Kitchener from Timmins. With the lockout highly likely I am thinking of jumping on the Rangers fanwagon to both qwell my hockey cravings and because I am excited to finally have a home team to cheer for.

Any new tips for a new fan??? Who are our stars?? Do we possess any elite talent?? I know we had Landeskog from 2009-11. Ticket prices are very very good from what I've read online ($20-25 yes?).

Am thinking of bringing my fiancee to a live game after we settle in and I get familiar with the who'se who of our roster. Speaking of which, are all Rangers games broadcast on Rogers or will I need that "OHL Action Pak???" as well in order to catch every game of the season. While I am on the subject, what is that OHL Action Pak thing anyways???

Any tidbits or helpful facts you guys care to share to help me will be great. Am looking forward to living in your community very soon and cheering on your/our Rangers.
The stars would be Murphy (On defense), Rieder and Puempel (On the wings), Faksa (Centre) and Gibson (In goal). Tickets are cheap but I wouldn't suggest going the day of to get tickets. May work sometimes but not usually.

Most Ranger games are on Rogers TV but a handful of games in certain markets are not on TV (The American teams, Saginaw, Erie, and Plymouth are the usually culprits for not being on TV). Don't bother with buying the games, just listen to the ones not on TV on the radio station 570 News (Which you can on the internet as well).

Old
09-14-2012, 08:00 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Hi all,

The OHL Action Pak shows around 600 regular season games, plus playoff games. It will cost you around $110 ish + tax, check your cable provider if you're eligible. Some providers sell it on its own while others require that you purchase the super sports pak which is around $30 a month but includes season and playoffs for NHL, NBA, NFL , Baseball, OHL and Nascar. I purchased the Super Sport Pak last year it was like a Sports overload, change games during commercials it was pretty good. A good way to keep up with many teams especially if you're unable to attend games.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:25 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Hi all,

Well the TV is pretty good, I highly recommend to actually attend games, great experience, very nice arena and great on ice product considering the money you're paying. Kitchener is my early favourite for the OHL Championship. In terms of Elite talent as stated above Faksa (Dallas prospect), Puempel (Senators prospect), Rieder (Oilers draftee), Marcantuoni (Penguins draftee), Ryan Murphy (Hurricanes prospect) and Goaltender John Gibson (Anaheim prospect).

NHL 2013 eligible- Justin Bailey, Josh Sterk, Brent Pederson, Cory Genovese, & Jared Gilbert

Very talented team as well as a good coaching staff.

Old
09-14-2012, 08:49 PM
aresknights

Get tics for London, plymouth and Owen Sound when they visit if your looking for a good atmosphere ( althou it's usually a great place to catch a game regardless the opponent)

Old
09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
The stars would be Murphy (On defense), Rieder and Puempel (On the wings), Faksa (Centre) and Gibson (In goal). Tickets are cheap but I wouldn't suggest going the day of to get tickets. May work sometimes but not usually.

Most Ranger games are on Rogers TV but a handful of games in certain markets are not on TV (The American teams, Saginaw, Erie, and Plymouth are the usually culprits for not being on TV). Don't bother with buying the games, just listen to the ones not on TV on the radio station 570 News (Which you can on the internet as well).
First off, it's good to know who'se who in terms of stars.

And what can I do on the internet for the games that aren't on TV you say?? Listen to these games via online radio you mean?? What games should I not bother buying?? Or by that do you mean I don't need that OHL Action Pak???

Quote:
The OHL Action Pak shows around 600 regular season games, plus playoff games. It will cost you around $110 ish + tax, check your cable provider if you're eligible. Some providers sell it on its own while others require that you purchase the super sports pak which is around $30 a month but includes season and playoffs for NHL, NBA, NFL , Baseball, OHL and Nascar. I purchased the Super Sport Pak last year it was like a Sports overload, change games during commercials it was pretty good. A good way to keep up with many teams especially if you're unable to attend games.
Yep. My fiancee and I will have Rogers as our TV provider. So we're eligible for that super sports pak thing. To be honest I'm kinda peeved that in order to get Center Ice through Rogers you can only get it through that sports pack and not as a standalone package. As up until I had cancelled it a few weeks ago, I had Center Ice through Bell by itself with no issues whatsoever. I guess I'm just kinda annoyed with having to pay for parts of that package that I know I won't use (I.E. the NFL, NBA, MLB, or the NASCAR components). But yeah that OHL Action Pak does have me intrigued. But do I really need it in order to catch every Rangers regular season game (i.e. out of market ones)??

I mean with the NHL lockout I now refuse to pay for Centre Ice this season (if we even have one) even though with Rogers I'd get CI anyway if I subscribed to that Super Sports Pak for the OHL thing. But if I don't need that OHL pack to catch all the Rangers games, then I'll hold off on buying it until I'm more familiar with the who'se who of the OHL.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:39 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Two more newbie questions:

- Who are our main rivals

- While yes as a Pens fan I'm framilliar with Marcantuoni being selected as a Penguins draftee. For those of you who've seen him play, how is this kid?? Elite?? Good?? Average?? Meh??

Again thank you very very much for all the fast, in-depth, and cheerful responses to my questions guys. As I said before, I am looking forward to not only living in your community very soon but cheering on your/our Rangesr as well. And I'll probably become a regular in this subforum or thread here.

Speaking of which, on game days, do we have GDT's here for Rangers games or no??

Old
09-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Loosie

Quote:
Well he's officially a Ranger now
Yup conditional 14th that turns into an 8th if the conditions are met.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Loosie

Quote:
First off, it's good to know who'se who in terms of stars.

And what can I do on the internet for the games that aren't on TV you say?? Listen to these games via online radio you mean?? What games should I not bother buying?? Or by that do you mean I don't need that OHL Action Pak???

Yep. My fiancee and I will have Rogers as our TV provider. So we're eligible for that super sports pak thing. To be honest I'm kinda peeved that in order to get Center Ice through Rogers you can only get it through that sports pack and not as a standalone package. As up until I had cancelled it a few weeks ago, I had Center Ice through Bell by itself with no issues whatsoever. I guess I'm just kinda annoyed with having to pay for parts of that package that I know I won't use (I.E. the NFL, NBA, MLB, or the NASCAR components). But yeah that OHL Action Pak does have me intrigued. But do I really need it in order to catch every Rangers regular season game (i.e. out of market ones)??

I mean with the NHL lockout I now refuse to pay for Centre Ice this season (if we even have one) even though with Rogers I'd get CI anyway if I subscribed to that Super Sports Pak for the OHL thing. But if I don't need that OHL pack to catch all the Rangers games, then I'll hold off on buying it until I'm more familiar with the who'se who of the OHL.
Welcome to KW! Sudbury native here living in KW for the past 15 years. Coverage here is really good. Rogers TV (Channel 20) has every home game, and most road games, so yeah there isn't really much point in buying the OHL action pack unless you want to watch out of market games as well.

For sure try and catch a game in person at the Aud though, ticket prices are very reasonable even if the parking can be a little crazy. Huge recommendation for Teddy Bear toss night (of course with a requisite stop at a store to pick a teddy bear to throw on the ice), and of course the Rangers for the past few years have had a memorial jersey for their Remembrance Day game

AS for major rivals London is the big one, as well as Guelph.

Old
09-15-2012, 07:50 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Welcome to Kitchener and the Rangers!

Quote:

- While yes as a Pens fan I'm framilliar with Marcantuoni being selected as a Penguins draftee. For those of you who've seen him play, how is this kid?? Elite?? Good?? Average?? Meh??

Again thank you very very much for all the fast, in-depth, and cheerful responses to my questions guys. As I said before, I am looking forward to not only living in your community very soon but cheering on your/our Rangesr as well. And I'll probably become a regular in this subforum or thread here.

Speaking of which, on game days, do we have GDT's here for Rangers games or no??
a) London-Kitchener has all the warm fuzzies of the Pens-Flyers rivalry. Games in September have a playoff atmosphere. Guelph is also a big rival, mainly due to proximity (about 1/2 hour away). Owen Sound/Plymouth are a step down but can flare up at any time.

b) Marcantuoni is very fast and has good hands around the net. It's hard to give you a really accurate projection due to the amount of time he's missed due to injury. We're really hopeful that he's done with all the injuries and that we can see the dynamic player he was expected to be.

You won't need the OHL action pack to follow the Rangers - every game that is broadcast is shown on the local Rogers channel 20. As mentioned earlier, Plymouth/Saginaw/Erie don't broadcast their games. Our radio broadcast team on Newstalk 570 are among the best in the league and are worth listening to. We can't say the same about the TV team, unfortunately.

I'd encourage you to plan to attend a game at the Aud - it's a great old building that has been updated to keep pace with the times. The other plus about living here is that you can get to a half dozen teams within about an hour.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:40 AM
aresknights

Quote:

CG is bang on. London is a big rival and both teams should challenge each other for the div crown (along with Owen Sound) Ktown dominated last years regular season series but were swept in POs after an upset of PLymouth in rd 2. There is a good recent history of PO battles between the 2 and they are often in the mix as one of the better teams in the West Conf.
If your a Pens fan as well, keep an eye on Dmen Harrington and Maata from London when they come to town.
PLymouth, Guelph, OS are games to catch as well. Heck in Ktown, any game is worth going to live. Yeah never know what game will be the " shoulda been there game"!
Ktown has a rep (well earned) as one of the elite franchises in the O. ( along with the Knights ) Well run, well supported and often in the mix. Should be an interesting year with some good competitive balance.

If your only interested in Kitchener games, local Rogers cable will get you most home and away games. (except US home games and occassional Soo/ SUdbury games arent braodcast) If youd like to check out the rest of the league the OHL pak is a good idea
Welcome to OHL hockey. Its a good product and fun to follow. Unfortunately you moved to Ktown and not London
As much as I love seeing the Knights stick it to Ktown, its prolly the organization I respect most outside my own city borders. Plymouth 2nd.

I sent you a PM as well with a link you should check out

Old
09-15-2012, 09:41 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Welcome to KW! Sudbury native here living in KW for the past 15 years. Coverage here is really good. Rogers TV (Channel 20) has every home game, and most road games, so yeah there isn't really much point in buying the OHL action pack unless you want to watch out of market games as well.

For sure try and catch a game in person at the Aud though, ticket prices are very reasonable even if the parking can be a little crazy. Huge recommendation for Teddy Bear toss night (of course with a requisite stop at a store to pick a teddy bear to throw on the ice), and of course the Rangers for the past few years have had a memorial jersey for their Remembrance Day game

AS for major rivals London is the big one, as well as Guelph.
So most games are on Channel 20 eh...good good. Yeah again I think I'll wait then on grabbing that OHL Action Pak until next year until I know more about the who'se who and the what's what of the OHL.

And for sure yeah my fiancee and I will be at a game at the Aud at some point. But aren't games now taking place at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex??? What's up with that anywho??? How long will that be in effect??

And I'm not worried about parking at the Aud being a zoo as my fiancee and I don't have a car so we'll be taking a bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Welcome to Kitchener and the Rangers!

a) London-Kitchener has all the warm fuzzies of the Pens-Flyers rivalry. Games in September have a playoff atmosphere. Guelph is also a big rival, mainly due to proximity (about 1/2 hour away). Owen Sound/Plymouth are a step down but can flare up at any time.

b) Marcantuoni is very fast and has good hands around the net. It's hard to give you a really accurate projection due to the amount of time he's missed due to injury. We're really hopeful that he's done with all the injuries and that we can see the dynamic player he was expected to be.

You won't need the OHL action pack to follow the Rangers - every game that is broadcast is shown on the local Rogers channel 20. As mentioned earlier, Plymouth/Saginaw/Erie don't broadcast their games. Our radio broadcast team on Newstalk 570 are among the best in the league and are worth listening to. We can't say the same about the TV team, unfortunately.
I'd encourage you to plan to attend a game at the Aud - it's a great old building that has been updated to keep pace with the times. The other plus about living here is that you can get to a half dozen teams within about an hour.
A. So the Knights and Rangers have "all the warm fuzzies of the Pens and Flyers rivalry" eh?? Ohh how cute and fun!!! Won't take me long to hate London then.

B. So I assume then you mean that our TV team is the K-W equivilent to Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey calling Pens games eh??? Oh boy that should be...interesting.

But yeah thanks alot for all of the info guys. If any of you post in The Lounge on Page 2 of HF here, I'll be making a "So I Just Moved To Kitchener" thread after I move. Basically a thread asking about where good restaurants are to go eat, what are the best bars in terms of beer selection, what attractions should I check out (and yes I know about K-W Oktoberfest), etc.

Cheers friends.

Old
09-15-2012, 09:51 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
So most games are on Channel 20 eh...good good. Yeah again I think I'll wait then on grabbing that OHL Action Pak until next year until I know more about the who'se who and the what's what of the OHL.

And for sure yeah my fiancee and I will be at a game at the Aud at some point. But aren't games now taking place at the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex??? What's up with that anywho??? How long will that be in effect??

And I'm not worried about parking at the Aud being a zoo as my fiancee and I don't have a car so we'll be taking a bus.

A. So the Knights and Rangers have "all the warm fuzzies of the Pens and Flyers rivalry" eh?? Ohh how cute and fun!!! Won't take me long to hate London then.

B. So I assume then you mean that our TV team is the K-W equivilent to Paul Steigerwald and Bob Errey calling Pens games eh??? Oh boy that should be...interesting.

But yeah thanks alot for all of the info guys. If any of you post in The Lounge on Page 2 of HF here, I'll be making a "So I Just Moved To Kitchener" thread after I move. Basically a thread asking about where good restaurants are to go eat, what are the best bars in terms of beer selection, what attractions should I check out (and yes I know about K-W Oktoberfest), etc.

Cheers friends.
Welcome to the rivalry. As a London fan nothing pleases me more than pasting the Rags. As a Flyers fan nothing makes me more giddy with joy than making the Pens and their fans cry. Should be fun

I might add...that most of my closest friends in the league are Spitfires and Rangers fans...also most of my biggest detractors cheer for the same 2 teams.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Old
09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Loosie

Quote:

The game at the Rec Complex were just exhibition games as they were finishing the latest reno on the Aud, games are still at the Aud.

In fact the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complexes 'OHL rights' are held by a Waterloo businessman that every off season says he's going to bring a team there. Still hasn't happened.

Old
09-15-2012, 12:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Welcome to the rivalry. As a London fan nothing pleases me more than pasting the Rags. As a Flyers fan nothing makes me more giddy with joy than making the Pens and their fans cry. Should be fun

I might add...that most of my closest friends in the league are Spitfires and Rangers fans...also most of my biggest detractors cheer for the same 2 teams.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
So it looks like you and I will be mortal enemies during Knights/Rangers and Pens/Flyers games then eh?

*Writes this down* Oh it's on now Jack!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
The game at the Rec Complex were just exhibition games as they were finishing the latest reno on the Aud, games are still at the Aud.

In fact the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complexes 'OHL rights' are held by a Waterloo businessman that every off season says he's going to bring a team there. Still hasn't happened.
Ohhh ok so regular season games will still at the Aud as usual. Whew, that's good.

And yeah I heard about that Waterloo businessman wanting to put an OHL team in Waterloo. Frank Leahy is his name isn't it???

When I read about that at first, I immediately thought of the infamous "**** off Lahey" catchphrase from Trailer Park Boys.

Closed Thread