*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Thanks -- I think that's why Czinder got to watch the game last night. It says a lot when a 16 year old kid is showing more spark, energy, smarts, and game play than an OA.

I think Alberga is probably putting too much pressure on himself to score. His defensive play is well worth it, despite not getting points.
I suspect(hope?) Czinder doesn't survive the month of November in Ranger blue. Too many talented kids sitting because of him. I understand the need of an OA but not when a much talented player(s) is sitting.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
ORYX

I've been fairly vocal against Czinder occupying a roster spot simply based on his age. Had he been a 17-18 year old kid with similar numbers last year, okay, sure, give him time.

Problem is he has 33 points in 2 seasons. He isnt good. He had a breakout season last year as a 19 year old player, I believe he is a one and done type.

How he went from fan favorite in Windsor to a guy Ranger fans cringe at when he takes the ice, is i dont know how to explain it. He looked like he could prove valuable in preseason, but that all changed when the games meant something.

I'm willing to give him a shot again, as maybe sitting out as a healthy scratch lights a fire under him, but when/if he returns to the line up, he needs to produce a few points pretty quick or he'll be shown the door, no question about it.

O/A's cant be sitting pointless through 10 games played. Thats unacceptable.

Personally, the reason I see more value in Alberga is his defensive play is great, is good PK'er and has had success in this league for more then just one season.

In interviews with Czinder and Alberga, Alberga said he is going to come back stronger etc after being scratched. Czinder? just said he's embarassed seeing his name on the scratched list upon arriving to the rink.

Both need to put up a few points, Czinder especially though as he doesnt bring the solid d play that alberga does.

I bet he is a great kid, and I feel bad for being so hard on him, but its a business, he is frustrated as well. Hopefully he can pot 20 in a Rangers Uni, thats good for him and the Rangers.

Last edited by ORYX: 10-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I've been fairly vocal against Czinder occupying a roster spot simply based on his age. Had he been a 17-18 year old kid with similar numbers last year, okay, sure, give him time.

Problem is he has 33 points in 2 seasons. He isnt good. He had a breakout season last year as a 19 year old player, I believe he is a one and done type.

How he went from fan favorite in Windsor to a guy Ranger fans cringe at when he takes the ice, is i dont know how to explain it. He looked like he could prove valuable in preseason, but that all changed when the games meant something.

I'm willing to give him a shot again, as maybe sitting out as a healthy scratch lights a fire under him, but when/if he returns to the line up, he needs to produce a few points pretty quick or he'll be shown the door, no question about it.

O/A's cant be sitting pointless through 10 games played. Thats unacceptable.
It's not acceptable to get good ice AND not get points. It's that combo that means you're not panning out in that playing situation.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
It's not acceptable to get good ice AND not get points. It's that combo that means you're not panning out in that playing situation.
Or providing much of anything else. Alberga does play well in a defensive role and on the PK, and works his behind off out there. Unfortunately, we can't say the same about Czinder thus far.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Ward Cornell

http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Czinder may be out of a job soon if there's some creedance to this....

Quote:
Ex-Rangers centre Andrew Crescenzi was at Sunday's game.

The potential OHL overager was cut by the AHL's Toronto Marlies and was supposed to go to the ECHL's Fort Wayne Komets but there is no room for him on the roster.

At last check the Toronto Maple Leafs' prospect is still without a team.

Earlier this season, the Leafs said they did not want him coming back to junior and that he needed to play against men in order to develop properly.

Rangers GM/coach Steve Spott hasn't heard anything about him coming back to junior and said that decision is in the Leafs' hands.

I contacted Crescenzi's agent but have not heard back yet. Will update if there is any news.
http://therecord.blogs.com/rangers_report/

Seems like it's getting very very smoky!

Old
10-22-2012, 03:27 PM
BenchedGuy

I get what you people are saying about Czinder and to a lesser degree Alberga, but I think the bigger one to start with would be Hanes. To this point he has been a turnover machine. Not what you expect out of an OA shutdown D. He can not handle the bigger minutes that Spott would expect from an OA D. We need to address the D and get that shutdown guy.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Spitsfan67*

Sounds like you got Czinder-Block the guy from 10/11 who put up 3 points in 50 games, The guy who couldn't skate, couldn't handle the puck, dosent use his big 6'5 230 pound frame to his advantage, didnt hit...At the beginning of last year i was thinking 100% Fluke, But then he just kept putting points up and was consistant, actually hitting and using his body...to bad he's not working out guess all of last season was a fluke or maybe he really just didn't want to leave Windsor and when he got traded it was a blow to his confidence I dunno hopefully he turns it around and starts producing.

Old
10-22-2012, 07:41 PM
lazyboy

Czinder and Alberga

I'm abit of an oddity in that I'm a spits fan (take in about a dozen games live a year) but a sting season ticket holder. I've seen a fair bit of these 2 players so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
Czinder has to be one of my least favourite players of all time on the teams I cheer for. As spitsfan said he really brings nothing to the table despite his size and if he's not doing that or producing point wise any team would be further ahead allotting his ice team to developing a player
Alberga at least does bring a defensive element that every team can use and could be used in spot duty on a skill line. Apparently he's also well liked by teammates and good in the room. If that is true then he doesnt really need to produce offensively to be an asset on what should be a chl top 10 team before too long

Old
10-23-2012, 07:36 AM
ORYX

Absolutely agree BenchedGuy.

My take is that the only O/A worth keeping at this point is Alberga. Czinder should be released, and Hanes is god aweful, has been from the start.

Well not God aweful, but on this team, the 6th dman. You look for more out of your OA players. We have 17 year old kid and a 16 year old kid who would benefit more from playing that 6th spot, as would the team long term, while not being set back in the present.

I agree that the Rangers, in order to be bonafide contenders require the service of a top pairing stay at home defender. They also need to have a chat with Genovese and Iafrate and say look, you two are defensive d-men, play like it. McEneny, Murphy, Fanelli, Gilbert, those are the puck movers and offensive guys. Iafrate has a shot too, but with his mean streak, he should focus on clearing the front of the net and working the corners.

Even if Czinder was to put up a few points in his next few games, I think his time in a Rangers jersey will come to and end in the next couple weeks and I dont see any takers.

Old
10-23-2012, 11:21 PM
EvenSteven

Thank you coaching staff for finally putting MM back at center between a couple of quality players for more than a few shifts or a period!!!!! I know it's only three games, but so far so good.

That really sets things up nice going forward when it comes, and it will come, to making the moves that have to be made between now and the deadline. Remember, Spott said he was going for it this year. I am of the belief that if the Rangers are to be bigtime championship contenders, we have to pretty much do what London did last year. When they decided to go for it, they did in a big way (McKegg and Watson were brought in). So:

Let's say, theoretically, that our top two lines are set. Period.

Puempel / Faksa / Ming
Thomson / Marcantuoni / Rieder

Now for arguments sake, let's just say it's the week of the deadline and the current standings are the standings at the deadline. We'll also assume the bottom 3 or 4 teams in each conference are sellers and we are major buyers. (we'll need to be higher in the standings ourselves! LOL). Also, we'll also assume AC has been returned by now from the gong show that is the Leaf organization. That means we should be looking to bring in two high end players and at the same time fix up our remaining two OA spots.

Suppose we do two different deals, as the Knights did:

To Kitchener:
LW- Josh Leivo-93
RW- Michael Kantor-92
1st round import pick 2013

To Sudbury:
LW- Brent Pederson-95
C- Josh Sterk-95
RW- Nick Czinder-92

Then, this:

To Kitchener:
D- Cody Ceci-93
D- Jake Cardwell-92

To Ottawa:
C-Matt Schmalz-96
D- Jared Gilbert-95
D- Ryan Hanes-92
C- Dominic Alberga-92
pick(s)

We'd look like this:

Puempel / Faksa / Ming
Leivo / Crescenzi / Kantor
Llewellyn / Meighan / Bailey

Murphy / Cardwell
Ceci / Iafrate
McEneny / Fanelli
Genovese / Stewart

This sorts out our OA problems.
This gives us the depth we didn't have last year in the playoffs in the event of injury/suspension.
It gives us three very good scoring lines.
It gives us one of, if not THE best defense in the league.

Look, either Spott is going to actually go for it or he's going to nickel and dime his way into another missed opportunity. IMO, Gibson is the best goalie to come through here (I'm leaving out Mason on purpose since he barely played for us) in 20 years (Mike Torchia). He's only going to be here for 2 years, last year and this year, and it may be years before a goalie like this comes through here again. Since Spott piddled away the 1st of Gibson's two years here, he CANNOT do the same again this year. Therefore, if he's serious about going for it, and I hope he is, then it's these types of deals that have to be made. Never mind nickel and diming his way at the deadline and then complaining about the price being too high - just pay the damn price like everyone else does and worry about tomorrow after the banner raising!

Last edited by EvenSteven: 10-24-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old
10-24-2012, 07:04 PM
mapleleaf979

Jake Evans a 1996 born player. Property of the Kitchener Rangers is doing extremely well in the OJHL for the St.Mikes Buzzers. Tied for second on his team with 19 points in 17 games. He played 5 games with the Buzzers as a minor midget and posted 2 Goals and 2 assists. He was an 8th round pick in the 2012 Ohl Draft. He only fell that low because of his commitment to Notre Dame. He would have been a 3rd round pick. He is a very, very smart hockey player. He was very under-rated player last year on the Mississauga Rebels. It be great if the Rangers could get him to join the club. The Aud is a fantastic place to play.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Jake Evans a 1996 born player. Property of the Kitchener Rangers is doing extremely well in the OJHL for the St.Mikes Buzzers. Tied for second on his team with 19 points in 17 games. He played 5 games with the Buzzers as a minor midget and posted 2 Goals and 2 assists. He was an 8th round pick in the 2012 Ohl Draft. He only fell that low because of his commitment to Notre Dame. He would have been a 3rd round pick. He is a very, very smart hockey player. He was very under-rated player last year on the Mississauga Rebels. It be great if the Rangers could get him to join the club. The Aud is a fantastic place to play.

Yeah I was aware of Evans and thanks for the update. I hear a lot of good things about him and hope the Rangers can get him to commit for next year.

Any idea how strong a committment he has to Notre Dame? Is this kid a top student or is there a chance that grades could make signing with the Rangers a greater possibility?

Old
10-25-2012, 04:59 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Thank you coaching staff for finally putting MM back at center between a couple of quality players for more than a few shifts or a period!!!!! I know it's only three games, but so far so good.

That really sets things up nice going forward when it comes, and it will come, to making the moves that have to be made between now and the deadline. Remember, Spott said he was going for it this year. I am of the belief that if the Rangers are to be bigtime championship contenders, we have to pretty much do what London did last year. When they decided to go for it, they did in a big way (McKegg and Watson were brought in). So:

Let's say, theoretically, that our top two lines are set. Period.

Puempel / Faksa / Ming

Now for arguments sake, let's just say it's the week of the deadline and the current standings are the standings at the deadline. We'll also assume the bottom 3 or 4 teams in each conference are sellers and we are major buyers. (we'll need to be higher in the standings ourselves! LOL). Also, we'll also assume AC has been returned by now from the gong show that is the Leaf organization. That means we should be looking to bring in two high end players and at the same time fix up our remaining two OA spots.

Suppose we do two different deals, as the Knights did:

To Kitchener:
LW- Josh Leivo-93
RW- Michael Kantor-92

To Sudbury:
LW- Brent Pederson-95
C- Josh Sterk-95
RW- Nick Czinder-92

Then, this:

To Kitchener:
D- Cody Ceci-93
D- Jake Cardwell-92

To Ottawa:
C-Matt Schmalz-96
D- Jared Gilbert-95
D- Ryan Hanes-92
C- Dominic Alberga-92
pick(s)

We'd look like this:

Puempel / Faksa / Ming
Leivo / Crescenzi / Kantor
Llewellyn / Meighan / Bailey

Murphy / Cardwell
Ceci / Iafrate
McEneny / Fanelli
Genovese / Stewart

This sorts out our OA problems.
This gives us the depth we didn't have last year in the playoffs in the event of injury/suspension.
It gives us three very good scoring lines.
It gives us one of, if not THE best defense in the league.

Look, either Spott is going to actually go for it or he's going to nickel and dime his way into another missed opportunity. IMO, Gibson is the best goalie to come through here (I'm leaving out Mason on purpose since he barely played for us) in 20 years (Mike Torchia). He's only going to be here for 2 years, last year and this year, and it may be years before a goalie like this comes through here again. Since Spott piddled away the 1st of Gibson's two years here, he CANNOT do the same again this year. Therefore, if he's serious about going for it, and I hope he is, then it's these types of deals that have to be made. Never mind nickel and diming his way at the deadline and then complaining about the price being too high - just pay the damn price like everyone else does and worry about tomorrow after the banner raising!
I think that would be the best case scenerio in a perfect world. I agree with you that Spott better change his philosophy in regards to trades, escpecially this year. But I dont see that kind of return. I think Ottawa is not a trade partner only because I dont remember the last time the unloaded talent for a rebuild. I also think no one is going to want Hanes or Czinder in a trade. I see them as being casualities of the numbers game and eventually released. Might have to pony up more to be a serious buyer.

Ideally we need another scoring top 6 forward and a shutdown D. At least one being an OA that can bring in some leadership.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:18 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I think that would be the best case scenerio in a perfect world. I agree with you that Spott better change his philosophy in regards to trades, escpecially this year. But I dont see that kind of return. I think Ottawa is not a trade partner only because I dont remember the last time the unloaded talent for a rebuild. I also think no one is going to want Hanes or Czinder in a trade. I see them as being casualities of the numbers game and eventually released. Might have to pony up more to be a serious buyer.

Ideally we need another scoring top 6 forward and a shutdown D. At least one being an OA that can bring in some leadership.

I don't think Ottawa will unload talent for a rebuild either. It's just that they were one of the teams that were at the bottom of the standings when I posted my scenario. Heck, these standing may be upside down in a month! I wasn't looking for particular players, but rather looking for certain types of players we need going forward:

Cody Ceci (Justin Sefton or Connor Murphy) - a top 2 d-man
Jake Cardwell (Brandon Archibald) - a shutdown OA d-man
Josh Leivo (Reid Boucher or Vincent Trochek or Alan Quine or Tyler Graovac) - a high end player that may be unloaded at the deadline to play anywhere on our top three lines.
Micheal Kantor (Craig Hottot) - huge upgrade on the type of OA forward that Spott hoped Czinder would be.

I can guarantee you nobody wants Hanes or Czinder in a trade, but as we had no need for OA Jacob Lalonde in 2009, we took him on to give him a place to finish out his OHL career since we sent OA Shutron the other way to Windsor. GMs do this sort of thing at the deadline to make sure players aren't suddenly left with nowhere to play at mid-season. I was only throwing them into the deals really. They weren't critical to get the deals done.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 10-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Jakey43

EvenSteven
Are you trading hockey cards with your sister?

Old
10-26-2012, 08:00 AM
ORYX

Lets face it, Pedersen is unlikely to become a point+ per game player in the OHL. I just dont see it. He will be a valuable player no doubt however, but not a big ticket scorer. Gilbert is a good young puck moving d-man, great skater, good vision, though he doesnt see much ice right now and that likely hurts his stock.

Schmalz has played like 4 games, and in those games has IMO looked out of place. Wondering what it'll take to get him going. OHL first rounders usually ALWAYS make their teams roster. Lets give him more time, and he will likely turn into a big time player, though not sure what his trade value would be to teams if he isnt cracking the lineup over guys like Llewellyn (who might I had has been great!)

Sterk looked good in pre-season, has been non-existent thus far.

What I'm getting at, is that all these young players, while they have value, come at a risk for GM's. NONE of them are producing points even semi regularly, and none of them did last year either. That is cause for concern. You'd have to find a patient buyer.

When a team unloads a player like Ceci, I think there are 18 other teams with more proven young players that will look more attractive to the seller.

I think given that 2 O/A spots should become open in the coming weeks, a lack of draft picks, and unproven, inconsistent youth, I'm not really sure what the Rangers can afford to buy.

I'm thinking a mid range 2nd liner and one dimensional defensive d-man is going to be about as good as it gets. Can't see them landing a top flight, world class d-man (Ceci) and a 80+ point forward. Maybe one of the two, but not both.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Lets face it, Pedersen is unlikely to become a point+ per game player in the OHL. I just dont see it. He will be a valuable player no doubt however, but not a big ticket scorer. Gilbert is a good young puck moving d-man, great skater, good vision, though he doesnt see much ice right now and that likely hurts his stock.

Schmalz has played like 4 games, and in those games has IMO looked out of place. Wondering what it'll take to get him going. OHL first rounders usually ALWAYS make their teams roster. Lets give him more time, and he will likely turn into a big time player, though not sure what his trade value would be to teams if he isnt cracking the lineup over guys like Llewellyn (who might I had has been great!)

What I'm getting at, is that all these young players, while they have value, come at a risk for GM's. NONE of them are producing points even semi regularly, and none of them did last year either. That is cause for concern. You'd have to find a patient buyer.

When a team unloads a player like Ceci, I think there are 18 other teams with more proven young players that will look more attractive to the seller.

I think given that 2 O/A spots should become open in the coming weeks, a lack of draft picks, and unproven, inconsistent youth, I'm not really sure what the Rangers can afford to buy.

I'm thinking a mid range 2nd liner and one dimensional defensive d-man is going to be about as good as it gets. Can't see them landing a top flight, world class d-man (Ceci) and a 80+ point forward. Maybe one of the two, but not both.
Wouldn't it make sense for Schmaltz to be playing lots in Junior A or B than watching from the stands? Seems to me a 16 year old NEEDS to play to get better....

Old
10-26-2012, 08:22 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Wouldn't it make sense for Schmaltz to be playing lots in Junior A or B than watching from the stands? Seems to me a 16 year old NEEDS to play to get better....
I agree that he needs the ice time. I think Spott is waiting to see how the line-up forms, who steps up, who doesnt. We may very well see him sent down as of yet. It would save the team a card as well if he doesnt play in 10 games.

I dont believe Czinder should have a roster spot over him though. He is no worse then Pedersen was to start last season, just there are so many bodies that are OHL ready right now, he is feeling the squeeze.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:00 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

You have just made the case as to why Spott should consider selling at the deadline. If he can't turn this team into a dominant force in the conference by acquiring the kind of talent needed, then we are just another very good team that could go out in the 2nd round or maybe all the way to the final. That's not what Spott has been selling when he calls this a special year, that we are going for it, and mentioning the Memorial Cup all in the same breath.

I still contend that he blew it by not going for it at last year's trade deadline when we had a much better OA group, were ranked 8th in the country, and teams like Owen Sound and Guelph were still building. The Puempel type move needed to happen last January. This year, we have no OA's of any note, London will only get better, Plymouth will climb up the standings, and Owen Sound and Guelph are (at least now) the class of the conference.

The worst thing Spott could do is stand pat or improve just marginally. It wouldn't get us anywhere really when we know the usual teams in the conference spend big at the deadline.

Can you imagine the return that Rieder, Puempel, Gibson and Murphy would bring? I'm not saying sell - I'm saying buy big. But if Spott ain't buying big, then don't stand pat and whine in the media about the high prices at the deadline and the effect of the NHL lockout.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
You have just made the case as to why Spott should consider selling at the deadline. If he can't turn this team into a dominant force in the conference by acquiring the kind of talent needed, then we are just another very good team that could go out in the 2nd round or maybe all the way to the final. That's not what Spott has been selling when he calls this a special year, that we are going for it, and mentioning the Memorial Cup all in the same breath.

I still contend that he blew it by not going for it at last year's trade deadline when we had a much better OA group, were ranked 8th in the country, and teams like Owen Sound and Guelph were still building. The Puempel type move needed to happen last January. This year, we have no OA's of any note, London will only get better, Plymouth will climb up the standings, and Owen Sound and Guelph are (at least now) the class of the conference.

The worst thing Spott could do is stand pat or improve just marginally. It wouldn't get us anywhere really when we know the usual teams in the conference spend big at the deadline.

Can you imagine the return that Rieder, Puempel, Gibson and Murphy would bring? I'm not saying sell - I'm saying buy big. But if Spott ain't buying big, then don't stand pat and whine in the media about the high prices at the deadline and the effect of the NHL lockout.
Im not suggesting he not buy, I'm just suggesting that the acquisitions you have mentioned, would likely come at a higher cost. There looks like there may be many buyers this season, if we were to look at the number of good teams out of the gate thus far.

I dont believe this team needs a top line forward. They have 3 world class forwards in Rieder, Puempel, Faksa, emerging stars in Marcantuoni, Bailey, a great complimentary piece in Thomson, and are starting to get secondary scoring from the rest.

Give them time to gel. The past 3 games we have seen a new team to what we say the first 8.

It is a weak O/A class, I'm not one that thinks without 3 good O/A's the team will go no where. No where does it say that an o/a is more valuable, scores more, checks more, back checks more. It just happens that in history, O/A's on Kitchener have been good performers, and this years crop, lets face it, sucks. If they can get a 19 year old with similar ability, why not? If an O/A with a good skill set becomes available, of course make the appropriate inquiries.

You don't need a world class d-man. Cody Ceci or a Dougie Hamilton provide more then this team requires. We don't need another puck mover, we need a puck stopper. Both do that as well. But you're paying out your butt for them, when a player who is just as good, or better defensively could be had for less. Just because they dont play for team Canada doesnt mean they are high quality players.

If they acquired a player who is a good second liner, with the ability to play PP, and a shut down defender who is a good PK'er I think they have what they require to be very successful.

If they add those pieces and still look like they could use that final guy, then yea, you throw the farm at someone and leave no if ands or buts about it! But remember, the games arent won on the roster, but the ice. Can't just tear out 5-6 players, and replace them with 3 and expect the W's to pile up!

Old
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
rangersfan88

Just wondering if more tickets will go on sale just before game time?

Old
10-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan88 View Post
Just wondering if more tickets will go on sale just before game time?
If you're looking for tickets there's always STH holders selling spare tickets in the Lobby! At lot of times you can get 2 or 3 seats together.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:54 PM
rangersfan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
If you're looking for tickets there's always STH holders selling spare tickets in the Lobby! At lot of times you can get 2 or 3 seats together.
Ya hoping to get 3 seats only standing room left , last year me and a buddy bought two tickets online on the morning of game day and standing room was the best available . Another two buddy's went online at about 6 and got two seats in the gold section

Old
10-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan88 View Post
Ya hoping to get 3 seats only standing room left , last year me and a buddy bought two tickets online on the morning of game day and standing room was the best available . Another two buddy's went online at about 6 and got two seats in the gold section

Try this on the Ranger Site for spare tickets...
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page...place-postings
They have gold tickets for tonights game.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Ward Cornell

No overagers again tonight against the Attack!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 10-26-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Closed Thread