*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Ideally, I'd like to see the Rangers add a 2nd line player, capable of putting up 1 point per game pace, and a D-man capable of playing with Murphy who is solid in his own end.

That is why I identified Ross and Archibald. Both are O/A's so the price will not be sky high considering a potential return next year, neither is a star, but solid players, they are on a bad bad team, and the same team, so can likely get both for less then what it would otherwise cost to acquire each individually.
Despite my earlier post that speaks of bringing Ceci/Leivo, etc here, I'd love to see these two guys here and we'd have a more realistic shot at getting that type of deal done. Also, I looked back at the OHL champions from the last 10 years and most of the time, the OA's are just the type of players you describe above.

2012 - London. D-Brett Cook. F-Colin Martin.
2011 - Owen Sound. D-Matt Stanisz. F-Bobby Mignardi. F-Liam Heelis.
2010 - Windsor. D-Harry Young. F-Dale Mitchell. F-Scott Timmins.
2009 - Windsor. D- Ben Shutron. D-Rob Kwiet. G-Andrew Englelage.
2008 - Kitchener. D-Matt Pepe. F-Mike Duco. F-Scott Tregunna.
2007 - Plymouth. D-Steve Ward. F-Even Brophey. F-Jared Boll.
2006 - Peterboro. D-Trevor Hendrix. D-Aaron dawson. F-Jamie Tardif.
2005 - London. D-Bryan Rodney. D-Dan Girardi. F-Brandon Prust.
2004 - Guelph. D-Niko Tuomi. F-Marty St.Pierre. F-Matt Ryan.
2003 - Kitchener. D-George Halkidis. D-TJ Eason. G-Scott Dickie.

The players I've bolded can be considered among the best OA's in the league that year. Pretty much all the rest are just as you descibed above.

Therefore, if we were to acquire those players, without giving up Bailey, then our top three lines and top 4 d could look like this (I'm not letting AC go yet!)

Thomson / Marcantuoni / Rieder
Puempel / Faksa / Ming
Ross / Crescenzi / Bailey

Murphy / Archibald
Iafrate / McEneny

Old
10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
clearwater

Lets see how bad bad of a team the Spirit are when they play the Rangers, Evensteven. Didn't hear much from you when you guys were losing.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:51 AM
EvenSteven

Then, Clearwater, you haven't been following my posts enough. Because, I posted the following during the back half of our season opening 8 game road trip. This 4 game losing streak included a loss to your Saginaw Spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
This is a mess!

No leadership!
No grit!
No heart!
No contribution from the last THREE 1st round picks!
No contribution from our three OA's!
This is worse than I thought!
If you're going to lose, at least make the other team pay a price!

Ottawa always plays us tough in Ottawa!
Oshawa may very well embarrass us in the home opener!

Old
10-31-2012, 07:55 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Lets see how bad bad of a team the Spirit are when they play the Rangers, Evensteven. Didn't hear much from you when you guys were losing.
Saying the Spirit are a bad team this season isnt to be construded as an insult.

The Spirit are in 9th place in the West, 5 points out of a playoff spot, only 1/5th of the season in, with a very very young team. Its a reality that this isnt their year, whether or not you want to believe that is your own choice, but you'll be greatly disappointed to see them near the bottom at the end of the year as well.

Even if the Spirit make the playoffs, which isnt a stretch, is it worth playing a round, holding onto your bonafide players whom can garner a very good return, to play 4-5 games and be gone?

Plenty of season left, though the are where everyone thought they'd be thus far.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:08 PM
EvenSteven

I can't believe I wasted the evening watching that mess!

If you exclude the 3 in 3 home opening weekend, this team has scored 19 real goals in 12 games. That's terrible! And this team is supposed to be a contender for the championship (Spott's words). Looks like all you have to do is shut down the big three forwards, get a goal or two and you at least get to OT vs the Rangers or beat them.

On top of that, this has to be the softest team in the league. 10 fight rule? Yeah right! Alberga wanted to drop the gloves last Sunday vs Plymouth, looked to the bench and Spott gave him the red light. What are you actually afraid of Steve? One of your underacheivers maybe jump starting the team or his own game? It must have turned your stomach coaching with DeBoer all those years and leading the league in PIMs most of the time.

According to Spott, this team was supposed to be where Owen Sound is right now.

Oh, let me guess posters: Don't worry, it's only early

Old
11-01-2012, 11:27 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Well since I finally am unpacked from moving here in late September I'll be going to my first Rangers game this upcoming Tuesday night against Mississauga.

As I have never been to the Aud or to a Rangers game before, are there any important things I need to know?

Old
11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Well since I finally am unpacked from moving here in late September I'll be going to my first Rangers game this upcoming Tuesday night against Mississauga.

As I have never been to the Aud or to a Rangers game before, are there any important things I need to know?
Welcome home!
First bit of advice i can tell you is the parking is a nightmare. The lots take about 20 minutes to get out of. I suggest getting to the Aud about 30 minutes before game time to get a decent spot. I usually park on the street and walk over.

If your a beer drinker, you cant take them to your seat unless its the new section (blues). The bar fills up fast, your best bet is a vendor at the corner usually.

Have fun. I think the Aud is one of the best CHL atmospheres.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:25 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

I can't believe I wasted the evening watching that mess!

If you exclude the 3 in 3 home opening weekend, this team has scored 19 real goals in 12 games. That's terrible! And this team is supposed to be a contender for the championship (Spott's words). Looks like all you have to do is shut down the big three forwards, get a goal or two and you at least get to OT vs the Rangers or beat them.

On top of that, this has to be the softest team in the league. 10 fight rule? Yeah right! Alberga wanted to drop the gloves last Sunday vs Plymouth, looked to the bench and Spott gave him the red light. What are you actually afraid of Steve? One of your underacheivers maybe jump starting the team or his own game? It must have turned your stomach coaching with DeBoer all those years and leading the league in PIMs most of the time.

According to Spott, this team was supposed to be where Owen Sound is right now.

Oh, let me guess posters: Don't worry, it's only early
I think your right ES, secondary scoring has not been producing consistantly enough. Time Spott addresses it before the gap becomes bigger. Not been impressed with Sterk/Ming/OA's/Pedersen, the guys who should be picking up the secondary scoring. I think the time is here to bring in someone. Not panic time yet but dont let things start slipping away yet either.

Old
11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Secondary scoring is an issue, but so is primary -- outside of Puempel, who else is scoring goals?

With Gibson in net, this team doesn't have to throw 5 goals up every game to get a win, but a solid 2 or 3 would be great.

In the two games they've lost out of the past 6, they've had goals overturned - goals that would have given them the win (in Plymouth) or a tie (last night).

If Marcantuoni is out for any length of time, I want to see Bailey up there. I couldn't believe I saw Alberga in his spot last night, unless it was Spott's attempt to get him going on the scoresheet.

It's way too early in the process to be panicking already.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:10 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I think your right ES, secondary scoring has not been producing consistantly enough. Time Spott addresses it before the gap becomes bigger. Not been impressed with Sterk/Ming/OA's/Pedersen, the guys who should be picking up the secondary scoring. I think the time is here to bring in someone. Not panic time yet but dont let things start slipping away yet either.
Can hardly blame Ming at all! The guy has half his goal output from last year already, and is playing on a line, in all fairness to him, he has no business being on.

Sterk has been a collosal disappointment, Pedersen needs to step it up in a big way, same with the O/A's.

I agree with CG wanting to see Bailey get some prime minutes in MM's spot if he is out injured. If not, swap Ming out and see what Bailey can do up there.

I'm tired of hearing the same excuses from Spott: Forwards didnt get off the bus, building chemistry, they are new to the league, blah blah blah!

Incite some energy in the players, get them pumped to play, let them fight for pete's sake instead of red lighting them and maybe just maybe they wont be afraid to play a physical game and be scrappy.

Maybe he should scratch Pedersen, McEneny, Sterk, O/A's, MM as a message to stop playing without passion and drive and to start playing like the way they were drafted to play.

I'm being very critical atm, but be assured, half of this criticism is directed at Spott himself. I dont agree with his passive style of play, and inability to recognize that this team faces a greater problem then 'Chemistry'.

Doesnt matter if they win them all at home, if they lose them all on the road!

Doesnt matter if Gibson finishes the season with a .920+ save % and a 2.0 GAA if the team can only muster up >2 per game on the road.

Old
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Secondary scoring is an issue, but so is primary -- outside of Puempel, who else is scoring goals?

With Gibson in net, this team doesn't have to throw 5 goals up every game to get a win, but a solid 2 or 3 would be great.

In the two games they've lost out of the past 6, they've had goals overturned - goals that would have given them the win (in Plymouth) or a tie (last night).

If Marcantuoni is out for any length of time, I want to see Bailey up there. I couldn't believe I saw Alberga in his spot last night, unless it was Spott's attempt to get him going on the scoresheet.

It's way too early in the process to be panicking already.
Rieder and Puempel are on a point per game pace right now with Faksa starting to play better as of late. To me, that is your big 3 primary scoring. Your right, its not time to panic, but dont let things slip away either. We all know a deal or 2 has to be made to get this teamwhere Spott keeps claiming it should be for the 50th. Make the deal sooner than later so there is time to gel and get chemistty. Besides Spott will be gone for HC committment and I think we all dont want Fixter making the deals for this team if the way he runs things in the past is any indication.

I dont see Spott changing the way he coaches and divides the ice time, so unfortunately to me that means roster movement should be made to make this team more dominant. Just my 2 cents.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Tim Wallach

I know a lot of teams are like this, but Kitchener is clearly not the same team on the road. They can't score to save their lives. What they really need are two things:

1) Obviously, secondary scoring. Not much more needs to be said.
2) A stabilizing, veteran presence. None of the current OAs are that guy you look to in the dressing room. And the other vets don't seem to be the big brother/protector type. Who is going to take the Sterks, Pedersens and Schmalz's under their wing and make them feel like someone has their back out there as well as hold them accountable when they're playing like scared rookies?

Murphy, Puempel, etc. mean well, but that's just not their personality, nor is it their image.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:56 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Welcome home!
First bit of advice i can tell you is the parking is a nightmare. The lots take about 20 minutes to get out of. I suggest getting to the Aud about 30 minutes before game time to get a decent spot. I usually park on the street and walk over.

If your a beer drinker, you cant take them to your seat unless its the new section (blues). The bar fills up fast, your best bet is a vendor at the corner usually.

Have fun. I think the Aud is one of the best CHL atmospheres.
Oh OK. Well my fiancee and I don't have a car so, we will be taking the bus I think. And yes I'm a beer drinker but I'm not paying the usual ridiculous arena prices for beer. I figure screw it, I'll just have a beer after I get home. Besides, who wants to pay $7-8 for swill like like Bud or Molson??? I sure don't.

According to a seating chart for the Aud our seats will be located in the gold section in Section 10...Row G. Is that good seating????

Old
11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
According to a seating chart for the Aud our seats will be located in the gold section in Section 10...Row G. Is that good seating????
Very nice seats -- you're across from the Rangers' bench, and right around the blue line.

Enjoy the game!

Old
11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Oh OK. Well my fiancee and I don't have a car so, we will be taking the bus I think. And yes I'm a beer drinker but I'm not paying the usual ridiculous arena prices for beer. I figure screw it, I'll just have a beer after I get home. Besides, who wants to pay $7-8 for swill like like Bud or Molson??? I sure don't.

I havent taken it but the rangers do offer a shuttle bus from different restaurants in the area for free. you can get details from the rangers website.

there really isnt a bad seat in the house. you will be on theblue line on thepenalty box side 7 rows up. i have mine in section 14 on the other blueline. great vantage points.

you will also be on the main bar side. and yes, beer is not the cheapest.
have fun !

Old
11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
NHL Fanatic

I was at the game yesterday and for a team that is that talented on paper, they are really struggling on the offensive side of the puck. Gibson can't save them every game. I think Spot should break up the lines and try something new because clearly it hasn't been working. Tied for 3rd last in Goals For is not acceptable.

Old
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Very nice seats -- you're across from the Rangers' bench, and right around the blue line.

Enjoy the game!
Excellent news. Yes I'm sure we will enjoy although I must confess to not paying as much attention to the Rangers as I would have liked to so far. The fact that the games are shown the night after they occur on channel 20 annoys me. I always forget and miss the games.

Now to hopefully pick up a Rangers tshirt before the game. Does the Rangers Authentics store at the Aud have more of a selection of stuff in person?? Or do they just have what they have listed in the online store more or less?

Old
11-02-2012, 04:18 PM
EvenSteven

I'm not happy with Spott the GM as well as Spott the coach.

He failed to recognize that he should have gone for it at the deadline last year when we were ranked 8th in the country and owned the #1 ranked Knights. Instead of upping the ante to get Watson, he allowed our biggest rival to get him and the rest is history. Don't forget that he put the blame on the Petes for not taking his offer, which was "better" instead of admitting he lost out to the Hunters.

He fails to recognize when it's time to sell, and build the asset pool needed to make a run for it at a later date. He's too interested in being a home ice advantage playoff team every year instead of taking his lumps once in a while for the greater good. The Hunters knew they were screwed when Kane and Gagner weren't returned and acted accordingly, which resulted in some of the assets used to acquire Tavares and Del Zotto. Spott should have sold when Skinner and Morin weren't returned. Had Spott dealt vets Akeson, Maxwell and Tipoff that year, we'd be in a much better position today to make noise on the trade market.

The loss of Mike Sadler as head scout a year or two ago is starting to rear it's ugly head. Gone are the days of 1st rounders Azevedo, Kadri, Skinner and Murphy. These days, it's Pederson, who is fast becoming an embarrassment as an OHL 1st rounder, and Schmalz, who can't even make the lineup on a regular basis. You'd swear we were one of the "have not" team who have to draft the players who will report, not the best player available.

Right now, Guelph, London, Windsor, and Owen Sound (all rivals of ours) all have really good 95 and 96 aged young players. Outside of Bailey, who do we have that comes close?

Old
11-02-2012, 09:36 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Excellent news. Yes I'm sure we will enjoy although I must confess to not paying as much attention to the Rangers as I would have liked to so far. The fact that the games are shown the night after they occur on channel 20 annoys me. I always forget and miss the games.

Now to hopefully pick up a Rangers tshirt before the game. Does the Rangers Authentics store at the Aud have more of a selection of stuff in person?? Or do they just have what they have listed in the online store more or less?
Hope you enjoyed the game, and found something in the store!

As for the game, did someone mention secondary scoring? Pederson's best game in the OHL, both offensively and defensively, and wonderful to see Alberga get one (and it was a beauty). Here's hoping he just needed to get one to open the floodgates.

Not a big fan of all the shenanigans at the end of the game, but whatever. A very good game by most of the guys in white.

Old
11-02-2012, 10:34 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Hope you enjoyed the game, and found something in the store!
As for the game, did someone mention secondary scoring? Pederson's best game in the OHL, both offensively and defensively, and wonderful to see Alberga get one (and it was a beauty). Here's hoping he just needed to get one to open the floodgates.

Not a big fan of all the shenanigans at the end of the game, but whatever. A very good game by most of the guys in white.
I didn't go tonight. I'll be going on Tuesday night when we play Mississauga.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:23 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I didn't go tonight. I'll be going on Tuesday night when we play Mississauga.
Oh hell, I'd be awesome if I'd read thoroughly!

But to answer your question, the store has a LOT more stock than what is shown on the online store.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:11 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
But to answer your question, the store has a LOT more stock than what is shown on the online store.
Excellent.

Gee who'd have though I (a Pens fan) would have so much wonderful help from you (a Flyers fan) eh?

In all seriousness though...again thank you.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
I'm not happy with Spott the GM as well as Spott the coach.

He failed to recognize that he should have gone for it at the deadline last year when we were ranked 8th in the country and owned the #1 ranked Knights. Instead of upping the ante to get Watson, he allowed our biggest rival to get him and the rest is history. Don't forget that he put the blame on the Petes for not taking his offer, which was "better" instead of admitting he lost out to the Hunters.

He fails to recognize when it's time to sell, and build the asset pool needed to make a run for it at a later date. He's too interested in being a home ice advantage playoff team every year instead of taking his lumps once in a while for the greater good. The Hunters knew they were screwed when Kane and Gagner weren't returned and acted accordingly, which resulted in some of the assets used to acquire Tavares and Del Zotto. Spott should have sold when Skinner and Morin weren't returned. Had Spott dealt vets Akeson, Maxwell and Tipoff that year, we'd be in a much better position today to make noise on the trade market.

The loss of Mike Sadler as head scout a year or two ago is starting to rear it's ugly head. Gone are the days of 1st rounders Azevedo, Kadri, Skinner and Murphy. These days, it's Pederson, who is fast becoming an embarrassment as an OHL 1st rounder, and Schmalz, who can't even make the lineup on a regular basis. You'd swear we were one of the "have not" team who have to draft the players who will report, not the best player available.

Right now, Guelph, London, Windsor, and Owen Sound (all rivals of ours) all have really good 95 and 96 aged young players. Outside of Bailey, who do we have that comes close?
I couldn't agree more.....

Anyone watch the game tonight?? Can someone explain to me how Murphy can be part of the equation to let Owen Sound get back into this game while they were down 5 on 3 late in the 3rd and trailing by two, then be completely responsible for the game tying goal and then play the rest of the game??????? Murphy should have sat out the rest of the game after the game tying goal. But what does Spott do??? Puts him right back out on the ice and does not take him off for more than 25 seconds for the remaining 9 minutes of the hockey game. Can you possibly send a worse message to a kid that turns the puck over all the time???

How do the other "D" on the bench feel???

Sure he scores the game winner....but with all the time they spent on the power play in that game, someone was bound to! And then some moron makes him the 3rd star of the game??????? Rangers should have won 2-0! I wonder if that point will come back to haunt the Rangers later! Time will tell.

IMO Spott is the most over rated coach in the CHL. I just don't get what he has done to deserve the recognition that he gets. What makes him a premier coach in this league? What has he won?? What great trades has he made?? http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/im...ilies/help.gif

This is not minor hockey.....Captain of your team or not, if a player makes a mistake like Murphy did in that game, it has to be addressed. Not only for him, but for the entire team. I believe the reason Murphy coughs the puck up so much, is because he's allowed to. It would not have been the same tonight if Deboerr was behind the bench!!!

I think Spott's signed until 2017 or 2018.....anyone know if he has a "no trade" clause???? lol

Old
11-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

To an outside observer learning the thoughts and concerns about Kitchener from Ranger's fans, you'd think they would be a lot worse than they actually are. You hear it every year, and it's not unique to Spott. I've seen the same things said about DeBoer. Selective memory huh.

And KnightRanger, you'd be out of your mind if you think Spott (Or any coach for that matter) would bench a captain, and his teams best player because of a defensive gaffe (That you make out to be far worse than it actually was). No coach, anywhere, sits a player because of one mistake especially if they had been having a good game (Which Murphy was) to that point. I've seen guys considered awesome defensive defensemen make several mistakes in a game, but a high level coach knows better than to sit a player to make a point. That's asking for trouble, and it does nothing to help Kitchener win. You play to win, not play to make an example out of a guy who's about the only player on the team who consistently generates scoring chances game.

Calm down, the team may not be burning rubber like people thought they would, but they certainly aren't playing that bad. Kitchener's beat the best team in the league twice this year, and they've looked like the better team in both games (Including this one, Kitchener dominated all night and if they weren't as snakebitten, game could have been won easily.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:37 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
I couldn't agree more.....

Anyone watch the game tonight?? Can someone explain to me how Murphy can be part of the equation to let Owen Sound get back into this game while they were down 5 on 3 late in the 3rd and trailing by two, then be completely responsible for the game tying goal and then play the rest of the game??????? Murphy should have sat out the rest of the game after the game tying goal. But what does Spott do??? Puts him right back out on the ice and does not take him off for more than 25 seconds for the remaining 9 minutes of the hockey game. Can you possibly send a worse message to a kid that turns the puck over all the time???

How do the other "D" on the bench feel???

Sure he scores the game winner....but with all the time they spent on the power play in that game, someone was bound to! And then some moron makes him the 3rd star of the game??????? Rangers should have won 2-0! I wonder if that point will come back to haunt the Rangers later! Time will tell.

IMO Spott is the most over rated coach in the CHL. I just don't get what he has done to deserve the recognition that he gets. What makes him a premier coach in this league? What has he won?? What great trades has he made?? http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/im...ilies/help.gif

This is not minor hockey.....Captain of your team or not, if a player makes a mistake like Murphy did in that game, it has to be addressed. Not only for him, but for the entire team. I believe the reason Murphy coughs the puck up so much, is because he's allowed to. It would not have been the same tonight if Deboerr was behind the bench!!!

I think Spott's signed until 2017 or 2018.....anyone know if he has a "no trade" clause???? lol
ya I just finish watching the game, in a nut shell I'm very satisfied with the outcome. If anybody should be upset at a captain I would say Owen Sound's captain had a terrible game. He was on the ice for both goals and very poor effort on his part, not to mention all the bad penalties he got.

I'm happy with the outcome though. The Attack were on a long road trip, 3 games in a row, were woken up and kicked out if bed at 5 am Saturday morning with a false fire alarm to boot, were down 2 goals in the 3rd, spent practically all of the 3rd and OT period in the box, were down 5 on 3, and 4 on 3 way too long, and still manage to take a point. Lots of character on the team... love it. Powerplays were 11-3 for Kitchener.

As far as Murphy for the part your questioning, he was beaten by Brace and really had no choice. The bad part was ruling a penalty shot when it should've been a 2 minute minor. It was a good penalty to take after the facts. Brace is not the guy you want to leave alone with your goalie. The coach probably seen it this way too.

Closed Thread