*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
ORYX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I have to disagree vehemately with this. Defensemen production (Especially in junior) depends greatly on scoring by everyone else. With a lack of secondary scoring, all the defensive pressure is on the big guns and that will affect a defensemen much more than a forward. Murphy's offensive production is his lowest since his rookie year, does that mean he's playing bad? Of course not.

He produces scoring chances every game, something no othter player does. He's better defensively than he's ever been, and he's no where close to a liability (This is the first game in a long time where he's been responsible for a goal against).

Lets not pretend because he's not on the same offensive pace that he isn't playing well. Defensemen need other offensive support to produce, you will never see a player not named Bobby Orr who can produce offensively even if the rest of his offense is struggling.

Let's stop creating him as a scapegoat.
Maybe his problem is that unless its Rieder, Faksa or Puempel open, he doesnt pass the puck?

Im not saying he isnt talented, I'm saying, and he did this at the beginning of last year too, that he isnt using his teammates very effectively and trying to do to much on his own.

Teams focus in on him, and he draws, 2 sometimes three players with him. What does he do? He tries to skate through them everytime, while he has two open passes he could make that would send other players in on a 2-1 or 3-2 as a result of his drawing players to him. He often loses the puck trying to hold on to it himself in this situations.

Yes he generates offensive chances, he also kills them. His defense is much better this season thus far, when I say liability, Im not refering to his defensive coverage, but when he gets caught up ice as a result of a turn over because he is trying to do too much. And if you think he's only be responsible for 1 or 2 goals against as a result of this style of play, you're mistaken. You can also thank Gibson for that too. I recall from sunday one instance where Murphy flubbed on a clearing attempt right to the OS player for a point blank shot in the slot. Had Gibson not reacted to quickly the puck is in the net.

I believe, as a whole, the defensive unit is getting too much credit for the low goals against. Gibson and to a lesser degree Palazzese have been lights out, and bail the defense out every single game. There is absolutely zero ability on this team to clear the front of the net, and alot of times you see guys just standing there, not sure what to do.

For a player that is supposed to be such an offensive dynamo, he is certainly struggling, and I've noticed its because he is trying to do to much with the puck himself. He kills the rush alot, buy ignoring the open outlet pass to the winger, and skating up on his own, dumping it in and then there is no one to recover the puck. I wonder why? Because his forwards we're breaking out and had to throw on the breaks at the blue line because Murphy decided it was in the teams best interest that he retain control of the puck and gain the zone himself.

Its frustrating as a fan to see a player possess so much talent and ability, yet so little desire to help make those around him better.

In that 3 game stretch, Murphy was an entirely different player then he has been the majority of the season, he was actually making passes, and looking for the open guy. It paid off nicely for an offensive outburst by the team and him.

He is this years Catenacci, the offensive runs through him, he simply needs to be more open to hitting the open player whether his name is Ming or Puempel.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
Maybe his problem is that unless its Rieder, Faksa or Puempel open, he doesnt pass the puck?

Im not saying he isnt talented, I'm saying, and he did this at the beginning of last year too, that he isnt using his teammates very effectively and trying to do to much on his own.

Teams focus in on him, and he draws, 2 sometimes three players with him. What does he do? He tries to skate through them everytime, while he has two open passes he could make that would send other players in on a 2-1 or 3-2 as a result of his drawing players to him. He often loses the puck trying to hold on to it himself in this situations.

Yes he generates offensive chances, he also kills them. His defense is much better this season thus far, when I say liability, Im not refering to his defensive coverage, but when he gets caught up ice as a result of a turn over because he is trying to do too much. And if you think he's only be responsible for 1 or 2 goals against as a result of this style of play, you're mistaken. You can also thank Gibson for that too. I recall from sunday one instance where Murphy flubbed on a clearing attempt right to the OS player for a point blank shot in the slot. Had Gibson not reacted to quickly the puck is in the net.

I believe, as a whole, the defensive unit is getting too much credit for the low goals against. Gibson and to a lesser degree Palazzese have been lights out, and bail the defense out every single game. There is absolutely zero ability on this team to clear the front of the net, and alot of times you see guys just standing there, not sure what to do.

For a player that is supposed to be such an offensive dynamo, he is certainly struggling, and I've noticed its because he is trying to do to much with the puck himself. He kills the rush alot, buy ignoring the open outlet pass to the winger, and skating up on his own, dumping it in and then there is no one to recover the puck. I wonder why? Because his forwards we're breaking out and had to throw on the breaks at the blue line because Murphy decided it was in the teams best interest that he retain control of the puck and gain the zone himself.

Its frustrating as a fan to see a player possess so much talent and ability, yet so little desire to help make those around him better.

In that 3 game stretch, Murphy was an entirely different player then he has been the majority of the season, he was actually making passes, and looking for the open guy. It paid off nicely for an offensive outburst by the team and him.

He is this years Catenacci, the offensive runs through him, he simply needs to be more open to hitting the open player whether his name is Ming or Puempel.
It seems to me a clear indication of the state of Murphy's game currently will be whether he is included in the World Juniors......

Old
11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
This is ridiculous. We are talking about one of the most dynamic players in all of junior hockey at any position. The kid is entering his 19-year old season in the OHL and is clearly bored playing against inferior opposition. If it wasn’t for the NHL-CHL agreement this kid would be playing in the AHL and would be continuing to develop his game. Murphy was virtually unstoppable this past summer playing in the Canada-Russia Challenge as Canada’s co-leading scorer (tied with Ty Rattie/Jonathan Huberdeau) with 5 points. Many of you will also remember his performance at the 2011 IIHF World U18 Championships when he scored 13 points and was named defensemen of the tournament. The fact is this kid produces on the big stage when playing with players who share the same superior vision/hockey IQ he possesses.
Is anyone arguing that he doesnt produce at the highest levels or that he is a unique talent, or that he is perhaps bored? Nope.

The argument is that he isnt using his teammates and as a result, trying to do to much himself, which has found him out of position defensively, the cause of several bad turnovers per game which he is bailed out by his goalie or D partner, and he isnt generating the offense that would give you reason to look the other way.

Personally, it isnt the defensive mistakes that are bound to occur which cause for my criticism. I understand with an offensive d-man that will occur.

My problem is him NEVER passing to open forwards who arent first line players. In the three game stretch where the Rangers dominated offensively as did he, he was using his teammates, making outlet passes. In the 14 other games, he gains the zone on his own and either skates in circles until he loses the puck, or he dumps the puck in the corner, where no one can retrieve it because he nuetralized their breakout speed by failing to pass to the open wing when he draws the 2nd and 3rd defender onto him.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:56 AM
BenchedGuy

Some people are getting the wrong idea. There are some of us that are simply frustrated with the play of Murphy at times. We understand he is a dynamic player that does not come around all the time. The frustration comes with that we see the player he could be if he worked on certain aspects.

He has gotten better defensively this year and has developed that aspect a little, but its the "do it all himself" that some of us have a issue with. And yes, the more puck time you have the more you are susceptible to making mistakes. Thats the nature of it and most fans realize that, at times we may complain but accept it. But we also can see how much more of a complete player he can be offensively if he uses his team mates more in certain situations.

Its not a dump on Murph. We know what he is and are very happy he is here in Kitchener. Its more of what he could be.

On a side note, I still dont see Murphy having the D partner he should have for his style of game. He needs more of the stay at home, crease clearing partner to compliment his game. Some of the frustration stems from this as well.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
So since I'm hitting up the game tonight at the Aud, I just have a few other small questions as it's my first time going to the Aud since I just moved here in late September.....

A. Are there any good little restaurant/concession stands at the Aud with any good munchies??? Or is it just the standard arena food (i.e. hotdogs, pop, beer, fries,). With that said, are there any Aud munchies that you suggest I try???

B. I assume you can go outside for a smoke during intermissions right??? Where is the smoking area??? And I assume that even though you leave to go outside for a smoke you can go back in to the Aud with no issues right????

Any other Aud tidbits that y'all think I should know would be great too.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
So since I'm hitting up the game tonight at the Aud, I just have a few other small questions as it's my first time going to the Aud since I just moved here in late September.....

A. Are there any good little restaurant/concession stands at the Aud with any good munchies??? Or is it just the standard arena food (i.e. hotdogs, pop, beer, fries,). With that said, are there any Aud munchies that you suggest I try???

B. I assume you can go outside for a smoke during intermissions right??? Where is the smoking area??? And I assume that even though you leave to go outside for a smoke you can go back in to the Aud with no issues right????

A. Most of it is standard, but there is a roast beef/pulled pork sandwich stand near the big bar near your seats. There's also a Gourmet Hot Dog place (never tried it because the combinations look disgusting and you can't get a regular hot dog there). For munchies, there is a beer nuts stand at the top of the stairs as you enter the Aud. Other than that it's pretty standard I think.

B. Yes - you can either get a card and go out the front door or downstairs at the main entrance (either side of the building). From your seats, it might be easier going out the front door.

Other than that, be sure to sing along with the goal song (hope we hear it a lot tonight!). That's about it, other than have fun!

Old
11-06-2012, 01:38 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
A. Most of it is standard, but there is a roast beef/pulled pork sandwich stand near the big bar near your seats. There's also a Gourmet Hot Dog place (never tried it because the combinations look disgusting and you can't get a regular hot dog there). For munchies, there is a beer nuts stand at the top of the stairs as you enter the Aud. Other than that it's pretty standard I think.

B. Yes - you can either get a card and go out the front door or downstairs at the main entrance (either side of the building). From your seats, it might be easier going out the front door.

Other than that, be sure to sing along with the goal song (hope we hear it a lot tonight!). That's about it, other than have fun!
So where do I get these cards that will allow me to have access to go outside and back inside during intermissions?

And how does our little goal song go if I feel like singing along?

Old
11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
So where do I get these cards that will allow me to have access to go outside and back inside during intermissions?

Sorry about that -- you can get the cards from the ushers/ticket takers at the entrances.

Our goal song is the same one the NY Rangers use, but the emphasis is on different parts (they holler on the "heys", we emphasize "Let's Go Rangers"). You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly!

Old
11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
ORYX

Quote:

The East Ave entrance is the one CG is talking about, which is closest to your seat (it is essentially behind the Rangers Goal). When you go out to smoke or for fresh air, there will be an usher standing at the main entrance who will hand you an entrance card. Be sure you still have your original ticket as well (so they say, they dont usually ask to see both, but technically speaking they could if they wished). When you enter again, you simply hand the card back.

Make sure you try the beer nuts!

Enjoy the game!

Old
11-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
The cards are handed out right at the door!
The pulled pork and beef sandwiches are you best bet!
Also at the East Ave doors there's a concession stand that sells subs.
Downstairs at the main entrance there's a coffee concession booth that also sells muffins.
They also don't stop fans from bringing in their own drinks and food.

For some other games, there's a restaurant at the south end (behind section 1) that's located on the 2nd level and they open 2 hours before game time.

FYI....There's a wifi hotspot just at main entrance, there's no wifi in seating/concourse areas.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
The cards are handed out right at the door!
The pulled pork and beef sandwiches are you best bet!
Also at the East Ave doors there's a concession stand that sells subs.
Downstairs at the main entrance there's a coffee concession booth that also sells muffins.
They also don't stop fans from bringing in their own drinks and food.

For some other games, there's a restaurant at the south end (behind section 1) that's located on the 2nd level and they open 2 hours before game time.

FYI....There's a wifi hotspot just at main entrance, there's no wifi in seating/concourse areas.
I have yet to find that damn wifi spot!

Old
11-06-2012, 02:15 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Something that others have not mentioned (which not everyone may know), during the intermissions the washrooms are a pain to use on the main concourse area. At the East Ave entrance side there are stairwells to go downstairs. There are washrooms down on this level that hardly anyone uses. I have not seen a lineup there yet, but I also havent shared that tidbit with everyone either to prevent that from happening.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Something that others have not mentioned (which not everyone may know), during the intermissions the washrooms are a pain to use on the main concourse area. At the East Ave entrance side there are stairwells to go downstairs. There are washrooms down on this level that hardly anyone uses. I have not seen a lineup there yet, but I also havent shared that tidbit with everyone either to prevent that from happening.
We use those washrooms all the time!
The ground floor washrooms at the Main Entrance are also slow during intermission.!

Old
11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Torts

will be there tonight for steelheads game

first time me witnessing the renovations

Old
11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
will be there tonight for steelheads game

first time me witnessing the renovations
Enjoy!

Try and avoid the upper deck washrooms during intermission. Only 5 urinals and a couple stalls for the whole lot. The lineup is out the door before the intermission even starts. Follow the stairwell on the East Ave side all the way to the basement and use Benched Guy's advice. You'll go down there, back up and have time to grab a beer before you'd have surfaced from the washroom

Its not actually that bad, just a heads up. And beer in your seats in the Blues if thats where you find yourself seated!

Old
11-06-2012, 04:16 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
This is ridiculous. We are talking about one of the most dynamic players in all of junior hockey at any position. The kid is entering his 19-year old season in the OHL and is clearly bored playing against inferior opposition. If it wasn’t for the NHL-CHL agreement this kid would be playing in the AHL and would be continuing to develop his game. Murphy was virtually unstoppable this past summer playing in the Canada-Russia Challenge as Canada’s co-leading scorer (tied with Ty Rattie/Jonathan Huberdeau) with 5 points. Many of you will also remember his performance at the 2011 IIHF World U18 Championships when he scored 13 points and was named defensemen of the tournament. The fact is this kid produces on the big stage when playing with players who share the same superior vision/hockey IQ he possesses.
First of all, Murphy isn't eligible for the AHL. It's NHL or Kitchener for him - lockout or not.

Also, if Murphy truely is bored playing at this level vs inferior opposition, and that is the reason for all the turnovers etc, then Spott really screwed up when he named him captain. I want my captain to be in the Richards, Kelly, Catenacci mold - players that gave 100% all the time and cared whether the team lost or not, players with heart that oozed leadership.

I don't know what happens in the room, but I see none of this from Murphy - at least in his game or in his demeanor.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:15 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
First of all, Murphy isn't eligible for the AHL. It's NHL or Kitchener for him - lockout or not.
couldn't agree more... it's almost like saying I'm playing bad because I'm bored, playing with inferior players... which we all know it doesn't make sense.
I'm going to watch the Kitchener game tonight to see just how bored Murphy gets.

one thing though, can you enlighten me by what you mean by this (quoted)

Old
11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
NHL Fanatic

This bored statement is getting out of hand. The Ontario Hockey League is a very talented league and the games I've seen Murphy he was far from dominant. He's a very talented hockey player but he still needs to improve defensive aspects of his game if he expects to make it to the next level. It takes defensemen a lot longer than forwards to make the jump. I expect him to make the league after seasoning in the AHL.

I know its cliche but in reality it's up to him. If he really picks up his game, he may just get the opportunity and flourish.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:23 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
couldn't agree more... it's almost like saying I'm playing bad because I'm bored, playing with inferior players... which we all know it doesn't make sense.
I'm going to watch the Kitchener game tonight to see just how bored Murphy gets.

one thing though, can you enlighten me by what you mean by this (quoted)

Oops! I misread the particular part of the post by nikos. I skimmed through it quick enough to mistake the NHL-CHL agreement for the lack of a NHL-NHLPA agreement.

My bad!

Old
11-06-2012, 10:11 PM
nikos

The decision to anoint him captain of this franchise was interesting to say the least. I think the obvious fan favourite decision would have been to give the “C” to Fanelli. However, this situation reminds me a lot of the decision the Rangers made a decade ago when they named Derek Roy captain. I think Spott has taken a similar approach with Murphy. This isn’t about Murphy anymore. The entire team is depending on him to lead them during the 50th season. I think the decision to give him the “C” was the right choice. If all goes as planned this story will finish the same way Roy’s finished in May 2003.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:31 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
The decision to anoint him captain of this franchise was interesting to say the least. I think the obvious fan favourite decision would have been to give the “C” to Fanelli. However, this situation reminds me a lot of the decision the Rangers made a decade ago when they named Derek Roy captain. I think Spott has taken a similar approach with Murphy. This isn’t about Murphy anymore. The entire team is depending on him to lead them during the 50th season. I think the decision to give him the “C” was the right choice. If all goes as planned this story will finish the same way Roy’s finished in May 2003.

Last year when asked who I though would be captain this year, I looked at the lineup of returning players and said if not Thomson, then it'll be someone who we'll acquire in trade - like when we picked up Nick Policelli and gave him the "C". I said that because no-one stood out to me like Cat did last year for example.

I don't agree with Fanelli because the main reason many people wanted him to be captain, whether they want to admit it or not, is because of the injury and recovery, etc. If not for the injury, he isn't in the conversation. And the honeymoon is over as far as I'm concerned. Yes, he's an OK player but in the eyes of most fans, he can't do any wrong. He gets a pass from fans as often as Murphy does from Spott! Enough already. (I'm putting my helmet on cause I'm going to get beat up for that comment!)

That being said, he had a heck of a game tonight and is rounding out into a decent stay at home d-man. However, if this team is to be a strong championship contender, the Rangers need to pick up a genuine replacement for Cody Sol. Once that is done, Fanelli would be most valuable on the third pairing with Genovese. I'm nervous when Fanelli is out there against the opposition's best players.

For this year to end like 2003 did, Spott has a lot of work to do because we are pretty good now, but we aren't dominant. We can't keep depending on goaltending to win us games. We are at least 2 very good players away from being favoured to win the western conference.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:05 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

The game I thought was a phenomenal experience, made even better by the fact that we won!!!!

The Aud is a beautiful building, my fiancee and I must have spent about 30 minutes walking around and I was gleefully checking out all of the plaques and player photos.

But yup, my hands were red from all the clapping I did and my throat is hoarse from yelling various cheers and bits of encouragement.

I look forward to attending more games in the future. Now I just need to figure out the easiest and most hassle-free way to get good seats again.

Sadly I forgot to try the beer nuts although I picked up two t-shirts at the Rangers Authentic store this evening. I even convinced my fiancee to buy one of the shirts I bought myself for herself as well.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 11-07-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old
11-07-2012, 07:26 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
I don't agree with Fanelli because the main reason many people wanted him to be captain, whether they want to admit it or not, is because of the injury and recovery, etc. If not for the injury, he isn't in the conversation. And the honeymoon is over as far as I'm concerned. Yes, he's an OK player but in the eyes of most fans, he can't do any wrong. He gets a pass from fans as often as Murphy does from Spott! Enough already. (I'm putting my helmet on cause I'm going to get beat up for that comment!)
I'm not going to bash you for your comment, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so please dont take my comments as such.

I was one who felt Fanelli deserved the C. Was it because he got injured and returned? If you wanted to write a one line novel about why, then yes you could go ahead and say that.

In reality, the reason I felt (and I believe I speak for the majority of those who also felt he deserved the C) is not simply because he was injured and came back, it is because he has a never quit attitude. This is a young man that was on NHL radar, and had his dream stripped from his hands, nearly died before our very eyes on the ice. What did he do about that? He could have walked away from hockey, like his parents and doctors wanted, he could have used the woe me card, he could have blamed it all on Mike Liambas.

Instead you have at the time, a 16 year old kid who when faced with adversity, accepted his fate and fought. He didnt give up the dream he was chasing, not when he was down on the ice, and not for the year + recovery, which he was being told the entire time hockey was no longer an option. What else did he do? He started a foundation to promote the effects of head trauma, to help OTHERS who experience similar situations, to give back to the very hockey community that supported him through he fight.

He returned to hockey, knowing he didnt have a free pass and worked his way back into the line-up.

He possesses an experience and drive for the game of hockey which no other on this team possesses. He had his dream taken away, and he stood up and reclaimed it.

He is an excellent teammate by all accounts, an excellent community ambassador for the Kitchener Rangers, and I've never met a person with a bad thing to say of him. His teammates look up to him, and have shed tears with and for him.

He may not be the best player on the ice, but he certainly has the biggest heart. A captain in my eyes shouldnt be picked on skill, but on merit. If youre a 3rd pairing defender but you lead by example, teammates look up to you, you fight every shift you're on the ice, and have stared adversity in the eyes, then yes you're captain material.

Ben Fanelli was not considered because he simply got hurt and returned, he was considered because the of the fine qualities of a leader that he displays on a daily basis, over the past 3 years in a return to pursue the dream he shares with his teammates. He never gave up on his team.

I will not question Murphy's leadership abilities, I am not a member of the team, I do not see how he interacts in the room, the words he says on the bench. All I can see is his lacksidasical play on the ice, which as a fan, are less then inspiring. He is the offensive leader of this team. My worry is perhaps asking him to be the Captain in addition to this is too much for him.

Last edited by ORYX: 11-07-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old
11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

^^ *stands and applauds*

Nicely done Oryx.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Crottenham

I agree and thoroughly summarizes what a true captain is all about.

Leadership, perseverence, dedication and team-first. Well done.

Closed Thread