Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 10:51 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I know they sell pucks, but I don't think I've seen autographed ones.

And just a reminder everyone - tomorrow night's game starts at 7:00, not 7:30. Yay Sportsnet... blech.
Oh ok. Again thank you for always answering my questions. I know I've said this before but...yer alright for a Flyers fan.

Seeing as I'm still on the fence about whether to buy NHL merch because of the stupid lockout, I thought it'd be nice to maybe buy an OHL (Rangers) autographed puck instead. Speaking of autographs, do our players ever sign stuff after games at all? I.E. Do folks ever wait outside for autographs like how alot of folks do with NHL games???

And no I'm not some silly Ebay autograph seller person Just an avid collector of hockey memorabilia who despite being poor...can now afford the occasional piece of autographed merch here and there. Currently I now have 2 autographed things.

And yeah that 7PM start and drawing out of the game time wise has me annoyed. Mostly just because I dunno how good of a view I'll have in my blue seats since my eyesight sucks. Sure I know I'll be able to watch the game again via replay on Channel 20 to catch anything I may miss/not get a good view of, but it's just not the same as seeing an amazing play or goal in person.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 11-29-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 01:21 AM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
I think a move needs to made sooner rather than later in Rangerland to give them time to decide if this is the year they want to go for it! With 4 teams ahead of them in the West alone this year, the smart move may be to sell and re-stock the draft cupboard and pick up a few quality young players at the same time.

I say make a move now......assess where you are at.....then make a decision.....ALL IN or ALL OUT! But that first move needs to be made now.

In my mind, Spott has to go all in big time or sell big time. To stand pat and throw around excuses as he's done in the past, or only add a marginal player or two at the deadline is the last thing I think he should do.

All in:
My first choice is to buy bigtime and make a serious run at the title. That means that our more valuble young players and the few picks we have or on the table. Period. With that in mind, I've put together an example of a couple of deals that we could make that would push us over the top.

To Sarnia:
95F - Brent Pederson
95F - Josh Sterk
95F - Justin Bailey
2nd round pick in 2013
2nd round pick in 2017
(These 2nd rounders are added since we theoretically had to outbid London. London won't want to give up their quality '95s Domi or Horvat so us giving up ours gets the deal done.)

To Kitchener:
93F - Reid Boucher
94F - Alex Galchenyuk
92F - Charles Sarault

That is Sarnia's top line and one of the best lines in the league. We give up much quality youth (all three ranked for the upcoming NHL draft), but we are all in, remember. This may be enough to get Galchenyuk and company as there may be a wealth of high end guys available at the deadline, meaning the prices shouldn't be as high as they were in other years (multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks).

Then:

To Sudbury:
96F - Matt Schmalz
95D - Jared Gilbert
1st round import pick in 2014

To Kitchener:
93D - Justin Sefton
1st round import pick in 2013.

We give up more youth but as far as we are concerned, Schmalz is unproven thus far. Sefton may be the best d-man available who comes closest to being a Sol, Kelly, Pepe type defensive rock on the back end. The swap of import picks work because Sudbury's import players are '95 birthdates and they shouldn't need their import pick next year - and it will be a high one. Our import pick in 2014 should be high as well since we'd be in a total rebuild next year.

We'd look like this:

Boucher / Sarault / Galchenyuk
Puempel / Faksa / Rieder
Thomson / Alberga / Marcantuoni
Llewellyn / Meighan / Czinder
Grant (depth with playoff experience. Currently lighting up JrB)

Murphy / Sefton
Iafrate / McEneny
Fanelli / Genovese
Stewart / Young (depth with to playoff experience)

Gibson
Palazzese

I don't trade Frankie. I feel with Sarnia selling, they also put JP Anderson on the market and he'd be more in demend (#1 the last three years. Memorial Cup experience to boot) than Frankie would be so trading Frankie wouldn't bring us fair market value. And, he's insurance if Gibson gets hurt. I deal Frankie in the summer when he'd bring much more in return - and we'd need the assets. 18 year old Moylan would be my starter on a rebuilding team.

We'd be very thin next year but I'll direct anyone who complains about it to the new banners we'd have hanging in the rafters, cause that team would be very tough to beat!

OR:

All out.
If we sell, (and I'd only sell if we couldn't buy big time due to possible very high prices) the four guys I'd move are Gibson, Puempel, Murphy, and Rieder. That would be a total rebuild. The assets these players would bring would set us up for years.

To London:
John Gibson

To Kitchener:
96G-Liam Herbst
95D-Myles Liberati
3 second round picks
2 third round picks.

To Guelph:
Ryan Murphy

To Kitchener:
96F-Robbie Fabbri
3 second round picks.
2014 1st round import pick.

To Oshawa:
Tobias Rieder

To Kitchener
95D-Hunter Smith
1 second rounder
1 third rounder

To Belleville:
Matt Puempel

To Kitchener
96C-Nikki Petti
2 second rounders

The total haul could be:
5 young players
nine 2nd rounders,
three 3rd rounders
1st round import pick.

That kind of return would set us up for years. I'd much rather go for it, but this wouldn't be such a bad "Plan B". And even after Plan B, we'd probably still be a playoff team this year.

In any case, Spott's past history shows he'll do neither. He'll likely tweek the lineup which would probably have us going out in the 1st or 2nd round this year - especially if we don't finish any higher than 4th in the conference.

Keep in mind that the types of deals mentioned in this post are merely examples of the calibre of players I think that could be involved.
-I don't think London will want to give us that much for Gibson. They'll rather want to keep it closer to the Mason deal rather than the Campbell deal.
-I figure Sarnia would want to deal thoise three separately
-I also had a little fun dealing our best two assets to division rivals. However, I don't care where they'd go. I take the best return possible.

Last edited by EvenSteven: 11-30-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old
11-30-2012, 07:00 AM
hockeylegend11

I think a better solution at a lot lower cost is ditch your 2 o/as and add Hottot,Schoenmakers, and Carlos Amestoy,u get 2 20 goal scorers,1 potential 20 scorer in Amestoy,plus Hottot and Schoesmakers gives the Rangers some snarl up front
Would not u would win but be much more competive at a cheap cost in zero cost to the teams future,or at least minimal
A selloff is unneccessary,and going nucluear regards to the ditching of youth
I give u credit for a fertile imagination,Rangers are probably glad that u arent the GM

Old
11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I think a better solution at a lot lower cost is ditch your 2 o/as and add Hottot,Schoenmakers, and Carlos Amestoy,u get 2 20 goal scorers,1 potential 20 scorer in Amestoy,plus Hottot and Schoesmakers gives the Rangers some snarl up front
Would not u would win but be much more competive at a cheap cost in zero cost to the teams future,or at least minimal
A selloff is unneccessary,and going nucluear regards to the ditching of youth
I give u credit for a fertile imagination,Rangers are probably glad that u arent the GM

Dream scenarios aside, I'd actually prefer Even Steven's approach. What you describe legend is exactly what has exasperated a lot of Rangers fans lately. Conservative dabbling and mostly stand-pat approaches at the deadline that perpetuate a cycle of "decent" hockey. Never the top, never the bottom.

In junior hockey, it makes all the sense in the world to be bold. You go all-in or you go all-out and totally rebuild for your next all-in phase. Simply trying to be respectable and competitive is kind of a loser's game if you ask me.

Old
11-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Dream scenarios aside, I'd actually prefer Even Steven's approach. What you describe legend is exactly what has exasperated a lot of Rangers fans lately. Conservative dabbling and mostly stand-pat approaches at the deadline that perpetuate a cycle of "decent" hockey. Never the top, never the bottom.

In junior hockey, it makes all the sense in the world to be bold. You go all-in or you go all-out and totally rebuild for your next all-in phase. Simply trying to be respectable and competitive is kind of a loser's game if you ask me.
Put me in the camp of selling but I'm afraid Spott will never do it.
I suspect Spott buys and we're subjected to 5 years of struggling to make playoffs with limited draft picks to rebuild.

I totally disagree with going for it because it's the 50th Anniversary!
To "go for it" you need to prepare at least 2 years in advance not a cpl months!

Old
11-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Put me in the camp of selling but I'm afraid Spott will never do it.
I suspect Spott buys and we're subjected to 5 years of struggling to make playoffs with limited draft picks to rebuild.

I totally disagree with going for it because it's the 50th Anniversary!
To "go for it" you need to prepare at least 2 years in advance not a cpl months!

And you just addressed my primary fear. I think Spott will go for it because he opened his mouth too much before properly evaluating his team. He talked loud and clear about going for it for the 50th. And I happen to know he even made that promise/commitment to a few of his vets.

So to remain true to his word, I think he has painted himself into a corner. And I'm not sure he has the GM skills or assets to get himself out. I think he'll make a couple additions of mid-level guys and hope Gibson and his star nucleus can carry them come playoff time.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Oh ok. Again thank you for always answering my questions. I know I've said this before but...yer alright for a Flyers fan.

Seeing as I'm still on the fence about whether to buy NHL merch because of the stupid lockout, I thought it'd be nice to maybe buy an OHL (Rangers) autographed puck instead. Speaking of autographs, do our players ever sign stuff after games at all? I.E. Do folks ever wait outside for autographs like how alot of folks do with NHL games???

And no I'm not some silly Ebay autograph seller person Just an avid collector of hockey memorabilia who despite being poor...can now afford the occasional piece of autographed merch here and there. Currently I now have 2 autographed things.

And yeah that 7PM start and drawing out of the game time wise has me annoyed. Mostly just because I dunno how good of a view I'll have in my blue seats since my eyesight sucks. Sure I know I'll be able to watch the game again via replay on Channel 20 to catch anything I may miss/not get a good view of, but it's just not the same as seeing an amazing play or goal in person.
I'm not sure how it works now - the boys used to be available after the game downstairs outside the dressing room to get things signed, but I think the renovations have changed things around down there.

Old
11-30-2012, 10:46 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
And you just addressed my primary fear. I think Spott will go for it because he opened his mouth too much before properly evaluating his team. He talked loud and clear about going for it for the 50th. And I happen to know he even made that promise/commitment to a few of his vets.

So to remain true to his word, I think he has painted himself into a corner. And I'm not sure he has the GM skills or assets to get himself out. I think he'll make a couple additions of mid-level guys and hope Gibson and his star nucleus can carry them come playoff time.
Spott was outspoken bout going for it all this year but as GM, he has to be big enough to change direction and admit he overvalued what he had if thats the position they find themselves in

I totally agree thou he has to be agressive regardless of direction they take. I love org that are aggressive, it may not always work out (tavares/DelZotto) but ya gotta give it your best. not half sell or buys. Add everything you need to take a shot or start moving top end kids.
London sold 2 yrs straight and is now paying huge dividends (still made POs but had short runs)

Old
11-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Spott was outspoken bout going for it all this year but as GM, he has to be big enough to change direction and admit he overvalued what he had if thats the position they find themselves in

I totally agree thou he has to be agressive regardless of direction they take. I love org that are aggressive, it may not always work out (tavares/DelZotto) but ya gotta give it your best. not half sell or buys. Add everything you need to take a shot or start moving top end kids.
London sold 2 yrs straight and is now paying huge dividends (still made POs but had short runs)
You're absolutely right that as a GM he has to be big enough to change direction and admit he was wrong, but as a coach you'd also think he'd be big enough to not throw his players under the bus consistently without ever admitting he wasn't up to snuff. So I think Spott will hold firm.

And you're totally right about credit to aggressive, bold GMs. You don't win by sitting on the fence.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:32 PM
CharlieGirl

Well, tonight ought to be interesting:

Quote:
John Gibson (hip flexor), Matt Puempel (shoulder), Darby Llewellyn (concussion), Josh Sterk (concussion) and Max Iafrate (flu) out of lineup
But at least Gilbert is back.

Ty Learn and Jack Moylan have been recalled from the Dutchies.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Spitsfan67*

You guys should have a cake walk tonight just try not to kill us to bad out there....

Old
11-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Bob Barker

How long is Gibson out (approximately)?

I don't even know what a hip flexor is.

Old
12-01-2012, 12:10 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Great game last night. I had a blast. Our home crowd seemed very very animated and at times I could have sworn I was watching an NHL game. That shootout battle was just awesome. Am glad we won it, some sick goals were scored for sure. And yes I must say I enjoyed the blue seats, although having to walk all the way across the rows to get to the elevator afterwards was annoying. Damn you Section 37!!!!

Randoms questions:

A. What is that 50/50 draw they keep going on about???

B. What's up with the "Lucky Numbers" (can't remember if it's lucky seat numbers) thing where they'll have digits up on the screens at times??

Old
12-01-2012, 12:11 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
How long is Gibson out (approximately)?

I don't even know what a hip flexor is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_flexors

Old
12-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Randoms questions:

A. What is that 50/50 draw they keep going on about???

B. What's up with the "Lucky Numbers" (can't remember if it's lucky seat numbers) thing where they'll have digits up on the screens at times??
A. The 50-50 draw is 50% of the that nights take from the purchases of tickets goes to Kitchener Minor Hockey while the other 50% goes to the very lucky ticket holder. Cost is $5.00 for 3 numbers on 1 ticket and i believe $10.00 for 9 numbers of 3 tickets.
The winning jackpot has been north of $5000 for the fan with the winning numbers.

B. I believe you thinking of the numbers they call out in the first period? Those are numbers in the programs that are sold at the game and if you have one of the numbers you can shoot the puck between periods to win a prize. My beef with some of the holes on the boards that the puck has to go through is that there's about 1/16" clearance and IMHO the prize will never be won!

The other draw with numbers is for actual game worn jerseys from this season or seasons past.
The tickets can be bought pre-game at the concourse at the top of the stairs. The jersey to be won is worn by the ticket seller.

Maybe someone can answer this question....where does the proceeds go for the jersey and program numbers ?????

Old
12-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
In my mind, Spott has to go all in big time or sell big time. To stand pat and throw around excuses as he's done in the past, or only add a marginal player or two at the deadline is the last thing I think he should do.

All in:
<SNIP>
I'm in the "sell off frame of mind" while your buy scenerios sounds logical the only draw back is it's too much of a buy.
IMHO usually the best "buys" are when you're already adding a piece to a true contender and not trying to buy a contender.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:05 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
A. The 50-50 draw is 50% of the that nights take from the purchases of tickets goes to Kitchener Minor Hockey while the other 50% goes to the very lucky ticket holder. Cost is $5.00 for 3 numbers on 1 ticket and i believe $10.00 for 9 numbers of 3 tickets.
The winning jackpot has been north of $5000 for the fan with the winning numbers.

B. I believe you thinking of the numbers they call out in the first period? Those are numbers in the programs that are sold at the game and if you have one of the numbers you can shoot the puck between periods to win a prize. My beef with some of the holes on the boards that the puck has to go through is that there's about 1/16" clearance and IMHO the prize will never be won!

The other draw with numbers is for actual game worn jerseys from this season or seasons past.
The tickets can be bought pre-game at the concourse at the top of the stairs. The jersey to be won is worn by the ticket seller.

Maybe someone can answer this question....where does the proceeds go for the jersey and program numbers ?????
There are also prizes with the program numbers - nothing too great (gift cards for various places around town mostly).

I think the jersey tickets and programs go into the operating budget - I've never heard otherwise.

Quote:
I'm in the "sell off frame of mind" while your buy scenerios sounds logical the only draw back is it's too much of a buy.
IMHO usually the best "buys" are when you're already adding a piece to a true contender and not trying to buy a contender.
Exactly - this team has too many holes to fill. Get a good return for the players that aren't returning, and build around Bailey. Unfortunately, this is not our year.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
I looked at that before I posted the question, but I have no idea what that means. Thanks anyways.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:

The 50/50 proceeds actually go to the KSA Kitchener Sports Association. And the dispurse it.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
EvenSteven

I see the Rangers have called up Keli Grant from the Dutchmen. I haven't been a fan of his, his whole time here, and said so more than once on this board. I thought he got way more than enough opportunities over the last couple years to "break out" if you will, and it never happened.

The best I saw him play was in last year's playoffs after his minutes went up due to all the injuries. He looked okay even though the offense still wasn't there.

Fast forward to this year. He is almost a goal a game player with the Dutchmen, so I thought he might have been called up a little earlier considering our lack of offense. But whatever. Tonight he'll play against the Whalers and I'm hoping the coaching staff puts him situations where he can get a really good chance to excel. Don't bury him on the 4th line and only give him a shift a period - as what happens to most JrB call ups. Give him a couple decent line mates and let's see what he can do.

Grant could prove to be that late bloomer who finally finds his way at this level. I'd like nothing more than to see him show that he can be an asset to the big club going forward.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:57 AM
lstuckless
Rookie User

Did I do somethign wrong? Is there somewhere I can post that I have a jersey for sale. sorry if I shouldn't have done it here!!!

Old
12-02-2012, 07:13 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
I looked at that before I posted the question, but I have no idea what that means. Thanks anyways.
In simple terms, a hip flexor injury is the pulling or tearing of one of those muscles IIRC.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
BenchedGuy

Murphy with the invite to selection camp. Nothing for Puempel. Not that it is overly surprising with the amount of goal scorer available with TC History.

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...selection-camp

Quote:
Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League, announced Monday that Kitchener Rangers captain Ryan Murphy is one of 37 junior-aged players invited to take part in Canada’s National Junior Team selection camp, Dec. 11-13, 2012 at the Markin MacPhail Centre at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
CharlieGirl

According to the Yahoo chat, questions surrounding Puempel's shoulder are what kept him off the invite list.

Considering Spott would know better than most, that's a bit concerning.

Old
12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
PRNuck

Hey Ranger fans,
Do you guys have any info on how McEneny got himself sent to the dressing room last game? Thanks in advance.

Closed Thread