HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2012, 01:28 PM
  #151
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
First off, I'm with you 100% Ward on that assessment.

Second, on Eden, from what I understand it's a case of both parties realizing the situation. The team had a good look at him at development camp but also has a few wild cards to sort out (Murphy, Trouba, etc.) and at this point, Eden is at best a bottom pairing guy on the team. So for both parties, it doesn't make sense for them to commit to each other until the clouds clear a bit. He will likely be at camp trying to earn that 5/6 role and looking for a commitment from the team if he clearly outplays the others.
Makes sense...also if he signs then it costs the Rangers a 3rd pick.
I wasn't big on trading (2) 4th round picks on a 3rd round OHL pick. Then if and when he signs the rangers give the gennies a 3rd round pick.

IMHO....I would rather not sign him and cut our losses on a questionable trade. Only way I would sign him would be trade him to re-coup our picks.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
  #152
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
First off, I'm with you 100% Ward on that assessment.

Second, on Eden, from what I understand it's a case of both parties realizing the situation. The team had a good look at him at development camp but also has a few wild cards to sort out (Murphy, Trouba, etc.) and at this point, Eden is at best a bottom pairing guy on the team. So for both parties, it doesn't make sense for them to commit to each other until the clouds clear a bit. He will likely be at camp trying to earn that 5/6 role and looking for a commitment from the team if he clearly outplays the others.
What I think will happen with the D....Trouba wont be in Kitchener, we will acquire an experienced D and you will see Genovese and Midensky rotated in and out for 6th spot. Not necessarily what I would want to happen but I think Spott and Co see's this as a contending year and you have to bring in the talent to put you over the top. So you will see Eden not being signed, Young riding the pine again or traded (too bad), and possibly McEneny not seeing top 4 minutes depending on who is brought in which is not good for his development.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
07-18-2012, 07:58 AM
  #153
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
What I think will happen with the D....Trouba wont be in Kitchener, we will acquire an experienced D and you will see Genovese and Midensky rotated in and out for 6th spot. Not necessarily what I would want to happen but I think Spott and Co see's this as a contending year and you have to bring in the talent to put you over the top. So you will see Eden not being signed, Young riding the pine again or traded (too bad), and possibly McEneny not seeing top 4 minutes depending on who is brought in which is not good for his development.
That's a good possibility. I also have ruled out Trouba. I also see Spott bringing in another veteran rearguard, possibly using Gilbert and picks as bait. But unless the year off really stunted his development, I can easily see McEneny ascending to #2 or 3 minutes for this team. If he's your #5 or 6, either you're mismanaging ice time or you're stacked.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
  #154
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
That's a good possibility. I also have ruled out Trouba. I also see Spott bringing in another veteran rearguard, possibly using Gilbert and picks as bait. But unless the year off really stunted his development, I can easily see McEneny ascending to #2 or 3 minutes for this team. If he's your #5 or 6, either you're mismanaging ice time or you're stacked.
I am one of the biggest supporter of developing within the organization. But what I have seen with Young the last 2 years, I dont know if that is Spotts way.

IF another veteran D is brought in, where do you give out the minutes?
Murphy - Fanelli - Iafrate - Vet D - McEneny
5 players deserving of top 4 minutes.

I have no problem (actually want him to) with McEneny playing top 4. Assuming his play warrants it. Just seeing, without injuries, a log jam in the top 4.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
07-18-2012, 09:51 AM
  #155
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I am one of the biggest supporter of developing within the organization. But what I have seen with Young the last 2 years, I dont know if that is Spotts way.

IF another veteran D is brought in, where do you give out the minutes?
Murphy - Fanelli - Iafrate - Vet D - McEneny
5 players deserving of top 4 minutes.

I have no problem (actually want him to) with McEneny playing top 4. Assuming his play warrants it. Just seeing, without injuries, a log jam in the top 4.
Having 5 top-4 guys is a good problem, so I don't think Spott will hesitate to add a guy. Especially with question marks around what level McEneny will be at and Murph maybe returning late and missing time at Christmas.

I think a Murphy, McEneny top pairing has a ton of potential if all goes well. The others will all get their ice via special teams and mixing-and-matching.

Unless Spott is wowed by Eden in the pre-season and signs him as the #5 guy and keeps Genovese as the #6. Either way, I can't see Young being thrilled about it.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
07-18-2012, 10:02 AM
  #156
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Having 5 top-4 guys is a good problem, so I don't think Spott will hesitate to add a guy. Especially with question marks around what level McEneny will be at and Murph maybe returning late and missing time at Christmas.

I think a Murphy, McEneny top pairing has a ton of potential if all goes well. The others will all get their ice via special teams and mixing-and-matching.

Unless Spott is wowed by Eden in the pre-season and signs him as the #5 guy and keeps Genovese as the #6. Either way, I can't see Young being thrilled about it.
I agree its a good problem to have if it happens. Which I hope is the case. As an organization I hope we keep enough good depth when Christmas break comes and injuries.

I could see keeping Fanelli and Iafrate together as the second pairing, I just hope Spott evens out the minutes a bit more this year then.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
  #157
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I agree its a good problem to have if it happens. Which I hope is the case. As an organization I hope we keep enough good depth when Christmas break comes and injuries.

I could see keeping Fanelli and Iafrate together as the second pairing, I just hope Spott evens out the minutes a bit more this year then.
No kidding! You mean you didn't enjoy watching Murphy and Sol get 42 minutes each, Fanelli/Iafrate get 16 and Genovese/Young get two?

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
07-18-2012, 11:10 PM
  #158
JSavoire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
No kidding! You mean you didn't enjoy watching Murphy and Sol get 42 minutes each, Fanelli/Iafrate get 16 and Genovese/Young get two?
The main reason that's SO deadly is what happens if both those top 2 D go down?? You now have guys that have played little to nothing being thrown large minutes and huge responsibilities. That usually backfires. You have to find ice for all, at least enough so they all develop and when needed can step in more prepared.

JSavoire is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
  #159
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
By the way all, I understand the team is pressing Justin Bailey to make a decision asap. They need to know what direction to take and is he in or out? They want him for sure, but enough of the tap dance!

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
  #160
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
By the way all, I understand the team is pressing Justin Bailey to make a decision asap. They need to know what direction to take and is he in or out? They want him for sure, but enough of the tap dance!
Thanks for mentioning this, I was just wondering about him!
If he comes onboard the Rangers will be quite stacked up front on the wing, but
I sure as heck would love to see Crescenzi back to help down the middle.
I suspect that Faksa will be playing quite a bit of time at centre along with Marcantuoni.
If the Rangers are shy at this season the centre position will probably one position that the
Rangers will definitely look to upgrade with an OA'r.
Lesway(meh), Sterk (great talent but not at centre this year) and Meighan are the returning centres
that are on the bubble. If push comes to shove I suspect Lesway will be in tough to make the team.
Puemple I believe is a LW and will be kept there.

Line combos anyone?
Puemple, Faksa, Rieder (Top line in the OHL/CHL?)
Thomson, Marcantuoni, Ming
Bailey(95 R), Sterk, Pederson
Llewellyn(96 R), Meighan, Schmalz(96 R)

I wish there's a way to get Adam Abu-Ali(95 R) regularly into this lineup.
Love his grit and physical play. The other rook to keep an eye on Keegan Blasby who could push
hard for a winger position on this team but his time is next year.
Jake Evans from what I was told wants to come here, his mom wants him to come but his father is the one insisting
on Notre Dame....(maybe he heard of the $500,000 Ranger signing bonus to lure recruits away from ND and is holding out for it??)


Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
  #161
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Thanks for mentioning this, I was just wondering about him!
If he comes onboard the Rangers will be quite stacked up front on the wing, but
I sure as heck would love to see Crescenzi back to help down the middle.
I suspect that Faksa will be playing quite a bit of time at centre along with Marcantuoni.
If the Rangers are shy at this season the centre position will probably one position that the
Rangers will definitely look to upgrade with an OA'r.

Lesway(meh), Sterk (great talent but not at centre this year) and Meighan are the returning centres
that are on the bubble. If push comes to shove I suspect Lesway will be in tough to make the team.
Puemple I believe is a LW and will be kept there.

Line combos anyone?
Puemple, Faksa, Rieder (Top line in the OHL/CHL?)
Thomson, Marcantuoni, Ming
Bailey(95 R), Sterk, Pederson
Llewellyn(96 R), Meighan, Schmalz(96 R)

I wish there's a way to get Adam Abu-Ali(95 R) regularly into this lineup.
Love his grit and physical play. The other rook to keep an eye on Keegan Blasby who could push
hard for a winger position on this team but his time is next year.
Jake Evans from what I was told wants to come here, his mom wants him to come but his father is the one insisting
on Notre Dame....(maybe he heard of the $500,000 Ranger signing bonus to lure recruits away from ND and is holding out for it??)
Thats what I think our concern should be. If Faksa doesnt return or if Faksa/Marcantuoni are injuried for any length of time, I dont see someone that can automatically step in and not miss a beat. Sterk/Meighan are fine for fill in roles on the second line for a few game stints, but I just dont think they are ready for an extended role in that regard. I would like to see a second line centre come in and maybe have them or Marcantuoni play the wing on the second line.

With what we have right now I see the line similar but here is what I would change.
Puempel, Faksa, Rieder (Top line in the OHL one would think /CHL?)
Thomson, Marcantuoni, Sterk
Ming , Meighan, Pederson
Llewellyn(96 R), Lesway, Schmalz(96 R)
I just see Sterk working better with Thomson/Matia and Ming can be somewhat of a physical presence on the third line. But this is all without any additional moves or roster additions, what we've got currently under contract.

Nice, with all these hidden payments going to players from money that doesnt exist, we are going to be loaded!!

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 08:03 AM
  #162
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
I think we're seeing the reason the Rangers have an issue with stories like the Trouba one. Suddenly the demands of families like Evans and Bailey go up.

In Bailey's case, we have a team that clearly wants him. A great fit for the player. And some ludicrous demands from the player. The team has finally said "enough" and "pee or get off the pot" if you will. We should know soon.

If he and even a long-shot like Evans show up it gives Spott a lot of options to move some extra parts for help. I know that as of this very moment, the team is not expecting Cres back and has Sterk pencilled in on the 2nd line. Good talent and a driven kid, but I still think that spells

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 08:52 AM
  #163
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I think we're seeing the reason the Rangers have an issue with stories like the Trouba one. Suddenly the demands of families like Evans and Bailey go up.

In Bailey's case, we have a team that clearly wants him. A great fit for the player. And some ludicrous demands from the player. The team has finally said "enough" and "pee or get off the pot" if you will. We should know soon.

If he and even a long-shot like Evans show up it gives Spott a lot of options to move some extra parts for help. I know that as of this very moment, the team is not expecting Cres back and has Sterk pencilled in on the 2nd line. Good talent and a driven kid, but I still think that spells
All the kids with multiple options will negotiate hard and demand the moon, wouldn't you?

P.S. His dad is Carlton Bailey, former NFL linebacker who no doubt knows a thing or two regarding negotiating with professional sports franchises.

Crottenham is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
  #164
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
All the kids with multiple options will negotiate hard and demand the moon, wouldn't you?

P.S. His dad is Carlton Bailey, former NFL linebacker who no doubt knows a thing or two regarding negotiating with professional sports franchises.
Yeah.....and with him possibly playing for the Rangers this could be the last chance for him to play relatively close (2hour drive) to home (Buffalo) for his family to come and watch him play.

Ward Cornell is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:11 AM
  #165
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
All the kids with multiple options will negotiate hard and demand the moon, wouldn't you?

P.S. His dad is Carlton Bailey, former NFL linebacker who no doubt knows a thing or two regarding negotiating with professional sports franchises.
I would expect people these days to ask for whatever they can. But in somewhat that regard, there is only so many top education packages you can give out. Is he a talent that deserves such?

I just want kids to start realizing they need to go where is best for their development and stop thinking that there's a big payday before turning pro. If Bailey thinks he will be better served going the USHL/NCAA route for his development....great, wish the kid all the best and good luck. If he feels Kitchener is better for development....great, welcome Ranger Nation.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
  #166
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I would expect people these days to ask for whatever they can. But in somewhat that regard, there is only so many top education packages you can give out. Is he a talent that deserves such?

I just want kids to start realizing they need to go where is best for their development and stop thinking that there's a big payday before turning pro. If Bailey thinks he will be better served going the USHL/NCAA route for his development....great, wish the kid all the best and good luck. If he feels Kitchener is better for development....great, welcome Ranger Nation.
Good points. To me it depends on who keeps making the approaches, the Rangers or the Bailey's?

Crottenham is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
  #167
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Good points. To me it depends on who keeps making the approaches, the Rangers or the Bailey's?
I'm told the Rangers made their final offer a long time ago and the family has repeatedly tried to milk more out of it. Hence, an ultimatum is now in place.

It's like any negotiation. Clearly for a negotiation to take place there is a high level of interest for both parties. But there's always a threshold where that interest is surpassed by the cost. And the Rangers have communicated that they're as close to that threshold as they're willing to go. i.e. Negotiations over. Take it or leave it.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
  #168
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
My take on the roster without considering unsigned players (Trouba, Bailey, etc):


Goal:

Gibson obviously. The problem is with Frankie. It's going to be hard to get good market value for a goalie as most teams are usually set in goal - especially after the season has started. Therefore, if Spott is 100% dealing him, it has to be done before the season starts IMO. Otherwise, we will either get hosed in a deal (Parks to Barrie) or be "stuck" with him (Stajer in OS).

If we are to challenge for the championship, is Moylan good enough insurance in the event Gibson needs to be pulled or gets hurt? I don't know but Spott will have to decide on that before dealing FP. Personally, I'd keep FP and he'd be Gibson's backup and play as our OA starter in 2013-14. (But that would mean one less asset to use in building this team this year)

Gibson
Palazzese


Defense:

With Sol's graduation, we are without a qualified partner for Murphy on the top pairing, period. I'd acquire an OA here and he'd have to be a good one to replace Sol's minutes.

I predict McEneny will have a breakout season and therefore, will bump Fanelli off the second pairing. Fanelli will be a decent 3rd pairing guy on a championship team. Eason was the #5 guy in 2003 and he easily trumps Fanelli.

Murphy / OA
Iafrate / McEneny
Genovese / Fanelli
Gilbert / Young
Midensky


Forwards:

I'd put Marcantuoni back at center, his natural position, on a line with Rieder who he clicked well with two years ago. He has a lot to prove this year and like McEneny, I think he has a breakout year if he stays healthy.

I'd acquire a skilled OA wingerr to play on Faksa's right side. We need an upgrade on Ming I think. I am of the opinion that Ming and Lorentz had above average seasons due to Faksa and Spott has to pick up a high-end skilled guy to play with him. This would give us two #1 lines.

Until the "AC is done here" rumors become more than rumors, he's my third line center, #1 PK guy, #1 faceoff man, and a fixture on the 1st or 2nd PP unit. I'd go after a banging winger to play with him (David Broll anyone?) and form a devastating crash and bang unit. Even though he's the 3rd line center, he'd get plenty of icetime.

By the time the wheeling and dealing is done, I see a 4th line of Schmalz, Llewellyn, and one of Sterk or Meighan. We have to give up youth to get veteran help and I think one of Sterk or Meighan will go the other way in a deal.

Puempel / Marcantuoni / Rieder
Thomson / Faksa / OA
Pederson / Crescenzi / Broll?
Llewellyn / Meighan or Sterk / Schmalz


Out of my plans:
Grant
Clampitt
Lesway
Francisco


Tradable assets:
Gilbert (just no room for him)
Moylan (if we keep FP)
Sterk
Meighan
Pederson (even though he is "Spott's guy", I'm not sold on him yet)
Ming (include him in a deal like they did with Lorentz)


I'd expect our depth forwards to be guys like Blasby, Abu Ali, or perhaps a FA invitee from camp.


All this without considering Trouba, Eden, Peca, Astin-Reese, Bailey or any other possible signee.



Thoughts?


Last edited by EvenSteven: 07-20-2012 at 05:08 PM.
EvenSteven is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:54 PM
  #169
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
My take on the roster without considering unsigned players (Trouba, Bailey, etc):


Goal:

Gibson obviously. The problem is with Frankie. It's going to be hard to get good market value for a goalie as most teams are usually set in goal - especially after the season has started. Therefore, if Spott is 100% dealing him, it has to be done before the season starts IMO. Otherwise, we will either get hosed in a deal (Parks to Barrie) or be "stuck" with him (Stajer in OS).

If we are to challenge for the championship, is Moylan good enough insurance in the event Gibson needs to be pulled or gets hurt? I don't know but Spott will have to decide on that before dealing FP. Personally, I'd keep FP and he'd be Gibson's backup and play as our OA starter in 2013-14. (But that would mean one less asset to use in building this team this year)

Gibson
Palazzese


Defense:

With Sol's graduation, we are without a qualified partner for Murphy on the top pairing, period. I'd acquire an OA here and he'd have to be a good one to replace Sol's minutes.

I predict McEneny will have a breakout season and therefore, will bump Fanelli off the second pairing. Fanelli will be a decent 3rd pairing guy on a championship team. Eason was the #5 guy in 2003 and he easily trumps Fanelli.

Murphy / OA
Iafrate / McEneny
Genovese / Fanelli
Gilbert / Young
Midensky


Forwards:

I'd put Marcantuoni back at center, his natural position, on a line with Rieder who he clicked well with two years ago. He has a lot to prove this year and like McEneny, I think he has a breakout year if he stays healthy.

I'd acquire a skilled OA wingerr to play on Faksa's right side. We need an upgrade on Ming I think. I am of the opinion that Ming and Lorentz had above average seasons due to Faksa and Spott has to pick up a high-end skilled guy to play with him. This would give us two #1 lines.

Until the "AC is done here" rumors become more than rumors, he's my third line center, #1 PK guy, #1 faceoff man, and a fixture on the 1st or 2nd PP unit. I'd go after a banging winger to play with him (David Broll anyone?) and form a devastating crash and bang unit. Even though he's the 3rd line center, he'd get plenty of icetime.

By the time the wheeling and dealing is done, I see a 4th line of Schmalz, Llewellyn, and one of Sterk or Meighan. We have to give up youth to get veteran help and I think one of Sterk or Meighan will go the other way in a deal.

Puempel / Marcantuoni / Rieder
Thomson / Faksa / OA
Pederson / Crescenzi / Broll?
Llewellyn / Meighan or Sterk / Schmalz


Out of my plans:
Grant
Clampitt
Lesway
Francisco


Tradable assets:
Gilbert (just no room for him)
Moylan (if we keep FP)
Sterk
Meighan
Pederson (even though he is "Spott's guy", I'm not sold on him yet)
Ming (include him in a deal like they did with Lorentz)


I'd expect our depth forwards to be guys like Blasby, Abu Ali, or perhaps a FA invitee from camp.


All this without considering Trouba, Eden, Peca, Astin-Reese, Bailey or any other possible signee.



Thoughts?
Sean LaFortune on prospect blogs is reporting Bailey just signed with Kitchener?

Crottenham is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 07:28 PM
  #170
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Sean LaFortune on prospect blogs is reporting Bailey just signed with Kitchener?
Yup. It's up on the Rangers website now.

Therefore, I'd pencil him in as the 4th line center between Schmalz and Llewellyn and that gives us one more asset to use in trade to improve the team.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:05 PM
  #171
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Yup. It's up on the Rangers website now.

Therefore, I'd pencil him in as the 4th line center between Schmalz and Llewellyn and that gives us one more asset to use in trade to improve the team.
Expect him to start at minimum 3rd line. Someone has to or will be moved because trust me he wouldn't commit to the OHL to play 4th line when he pretty much had the NCAA route lined up. Saw Bailey play 3/4 years ago and I wasn't impressed at all but this kid just worked extremely hard and there has been a MAJOR improvement in his game. Happy for the kid, hopefully he transitions well to the OHL but for one he definitely has the size at 6'3/6'4 190 lbs.

NHL Fanatic is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
  #172
ExtremeHockeyFan
Registered User
 
ExtremeHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Moylan doesn't seem all that ready to take the backup job just yet. I'd see him playing Junior B somewhere this season. As to trading Palazzese, it would make sense from some viewpoints, and it wouldn't make sense from. I'm sure some team would love to have him, because if Gibson's back, he won't get as much ice as he did last year. #Developmentstaller

ExtremeHockeyFan is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 03:24 PM
  #173
BenchedGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kitchener
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Expect him to start at minimum 3rd line. Someone has to or will be moved because trust me he wouldn't commit to the OHL to play 4th line when he pretty much had the NCAA route lined up. Saw Bailey play 3/4 years ago and I wasn't impressed at all but this kid just worked extremely hard and there has been a MAJOR improvement in his game. Happy for the kid, hopefully he transitions well to the OHL but for one he definitely has the size at 6'3/6'4 190 lbs.
Providing he earns it, I don't see a problem with him starting at 3rd line Centre. We have somewhat of an opening as thats one area I would have like to seen an upgrade (I dont see AC coming back).

IMO that pushes Meighan to 4th line and Lesway fighting for a spot.

Lineup appears to be getting better every week. Interested to see if more moves are made when the freeze is lifted.

BenchedGuy is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 05:23 PM
  #174
EvenSteven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Providing he earns it, I don't see a problem with him starting at 3rd line Centre. We have somewhat of an opening as thats one area I would have like to seen an upgrade (I dont see AC coming back).

IMO that pushes Meighan to 4th line and Lesway fighting for a spot.

Lineup appears to be getting better every week. Interested to see if more moves are made when the freeze is lifted.


Providing he earns it is right. Until announced by the Rangers, as far as I'm concerned, AC is still in our plans this year.

This isn't a guy like McKegg, Halischuk, Downie, Spaling, Watson, D'Amigo, or others who virtually have no shot at an OA season because they've proven all they have to at this level and the AHL is the next logical step.

As an undrafted but NHL signed player, AC has a grand toal of 82 pts in 175 OHL reg season games. That's less thean a half point a game for a forward. There have been players of higher stature in the past that have played OA seasons in this league and to be honest, I think AC plays his OA season too. No doubt the Leafs will want him to work on his offense this year. He won't be able to do that from the Marlies 4th line or pressbox.

Unless he's asked for a trade, then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be a Ranger this season. He has a hell of a lot to prove before all is said and done. I have him penciled in on the 3rd line but we all know that MM is injury prone and it wouldn't take long for AC the be elevated in the event MM does get hurt or the "back to center" move for MM doesn't work out.

As a team "going for it" this season, to have a 17 year old rookie (Bailey) on the third line (not to mention the underacheiving Pederson as well) doesn't sound to me like the veteran depth needed to win a championship.

And as far as Lesway goes, if Spott doesn't have guys like him, Grant and Francisco weeded out by the end of camp, then it won't say a lot about the quality of young newcomers joining the organization. I have Bailey, Llewellyn and Scmaltz bumping those three right off the roster.

EvenSteven is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
  #175
Ward Cornell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Providing he earns it is right. Until announced by the Rangers, as far as I'm concerned, AC is still in our plans this year.

This isn't a guy like McKegg, Halischuk, Downie, Spaling, Watson, D'Amigo, or others who virtually have no shot at an OA season because they've proven all they have to at this level and the AHL is the next logical step.

As an undrafted but NHL signed player, AC has a grand toal of 82 pts in 175 OHL reg season games. That's less thean a half point a game for a forward. There have been players of higher stature in the past that have played OA seasons in this league and to be honest, I think AC plays his OA season too. No doubt the Leafs will want him to work on his offense this year. He won't be able to do that from the Marlies 4th line or pressbox.

Unless he's asked for a trade, then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be a Ranger this season. He has a hell of a lot to prove before all is said and done. I have him penciled in on the 3rd line but we all know that MM is injury prone and it wouldn't take long for AC the be elevated in the event MM does get hurt or the "back to center" move for MM doesn't work out.

As a team "going for it" this season, to have a 17 year old rookie (Bailey) on the third line (not to mention the underacheiving Pederson as well) doesn't sound to me like the veteran depth needed to win a championship.

And as far as Lesway goes, if Spott doesn't have guys like him, Grant and Francisco weeded out by the end of camp, then it won't say a lot about the quality of young newcomers joining the organization. I have Bailey, Llewellyn and Scmaltz bumping those three right off the roster.
Pretty much agree with 100% with what you just said.
As for a 17 year old centreing the third line, I guess it depends on the player. Spott seems to have gotten away from showing patience with rookies the last cpl years and would much prefer a lot less talented 19 year olds. I rather show faith in the kids especially if they have a lot more talent than a Ryan Lopes or a Michael Hasson from a cpl years ago.
I betcha by mid-November that Crescenzi will be back here in Kitchener and will be averaging more than a point a game.
The unknown really is the NHL CBA and a possible work stoppage (from either side).
If it's looking like a mid season start-up AC will be back by October.
* also of note of the CBA which may affect Trouba, the rookie signing bonus and salary maximum that he can make may drop quite a bit with the new CBA.
I wonder if his agent...(oops....adviser) will start to push the Jets for a contract.
It could mean at least $200,000 or more in bonus money!

What I do really like is the size of our forwards......
Ben Thomson: 6'-4" 215
Radek Faksa: 6'-3" 202
Justin Bailey: 6'-4" 195 at 17 and growing
Matt Schmalz: 6'-5" 186 at 16 years old (what will he top out at???)
Andrew Crescenzi: 6'-5" 215
plus Darby Llewellyn 6'-1" @ 16 years old is midget here!!

From what I saw in rookie camp of Schmalz and Darby and what I read about Bailey it looks they all have a lot of puck skills to go along with size!

As for trading the spare parts...Grant, Clampitt, Lesway and Francisco, I'm not sure if you mean trading or waiver them since they basically have zero value.
With Francisco being the most perplexing, in his rookie year year there was talk about him being a Top 10 NHL pick (yeah I know!!....
). Just because of that ranking I was willing to give him some of last year year to show me something (well anything really) and I still haven't seen anything!

btw...from one of your previous posts about our depth forwards players being Blasby and Abu-Ali........I concur on those two but don't forget about Stephen Cooney
who has offensive upside and a nasty physical edge.


Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-22-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Ward Cornell is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.