Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Phatpat88

vCash: 500
The rangers need some grit they were pushed around by most teams until randell came back are any of there draft picks gritty ie Tom Wilson/Tyler randell type guys

Old
07-23-2012, 12:18 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Pretty much agree with 100% with what you just said.
As for a 17 year old centreing the third line, I guess it depends on the player. Spott seems to have gotten away from showing patience with rookies the last cpl years and would much prefer a lot less talented 19 year olds. I rather show faith in the kids especially if they have a lot more talent than a Ryan Lopes or a Michael Hasson from a cpl years ago.
I betcha by mid-November that Crescenzi will be back here in Kitchener and will be averaging more than a point a game.
The unknown really is the NHL CBA and a possible work stoppage (from either side).
If it's looking like a mid season start-up AC will be back by October.
* also of note of the CBA which may affect Trouba, the rookie signing bonus and salary maximum that he can make may drop quite a bit with the new CBA.
I wonder if his agent...(oops....adviser) will start to push the Jets for a contract.
It could mean at least $200,000 or more in bonus money!

What I do really like is the size of our forwards......
Ben Thomson: 6'-4" 215
Radek Faksa: 6'-3" 202
Justin Bailey: 6'-4" 195 at 17 and growing
Matt Schmalz: 6'-5" 186 at 16 years old (what will he top out at???)
Andrew Crescenzi: 6'-5" 215
plus Darby Llewellyn 6'-1" @ 16 years old is midget here!!

From what I saw in rookie camp of Schmalz and Darby and what I read about Bailey it looks they all have a lot of puck skills to go along with size!

As for trading the spare parts...Grant, Clampitt, Lesway and Francisco, I'm not sure if you mean trading or waiver them since they basically have zero value.
With Francisco being the most perplexing, in his rookie year year there was talk about him being a Top 10 NHL pick (yeah I know!!....
). Just because of that ranking I was willing to give him some of last year year to show me something (well anything really) and I still haven't seen anything!

btw...from one of your previous posts about our depth forwards players being Blasby and Abu-Ali........I concur on those two but don't forget about Stephen Cooney
who has offensive upside and a nasty physical edge.

I don't see Spott going the Lopes/Hasson direction this year. But what we do need are good 3rd and 4th liners who, in the event of injury, can step onto the 1st or 2nd line and the Rangers not missing a beat. Spott wants to go for it, then that means stacking a team. Maybe not to the extent that the '05 Knights did because they were hosting, but at least acquiring veterans by making the tough moves like dealing away quality or valuable youth.

With AC playing here this year, I see him taking Randell's place as the high scoring, physical OA. With the amount of icetime, that I pointed out in an earlier post, I think he'd get, between 30-40 goals wouldn't be out of the question. He did get 24 last year in 52 regular season games.

I'd be stunned if there's not a work stoppage. The sides are so far apart and there's only, what, six weeks or so until training camps are scheduled to open? There'll be a delay to the opening of the season as far as I'm concerned and that bodes well for CHL teams getting their players back - and for young players, who would regularly be starting their 1st NHL seasons to open in the AHL which should provide a good crop of OA's to junior.

Trouba has to decide what he wants to do. No doubt entry level contracts will get hit. Therefore, if he plans on playing pro in a year or two, he'd best sign now for more money. If he plans on a degree, then go to the NCAA and get your degree. If he plans on going the Justin Schultz route, then go to the NCAA for four years and become a UFA - if they don't negotiate that posibility out of the CA in these current negotiations. Teams may push for it in light of the Schultz signing. You have to believe that the Jets want him inked to a deal sooner than later.

As far as Lesway, Grant, Francisco, and Clampitt go, I expect nothing for any of them on the trade market. If Clampitt was in Spott's plans at all, he'd have seen more ice last season. Spott needed Grant and Francisco to develop into OHLers in the worst way last year but it didn't happen. Mainly because he burned a 3rd rounder on Grant and got Francisco in the Maxwell deal.

None of these guys hold any value and what thay can provide next year, the younger rookies can provide - and, these rookies will be 2-3 years younger with big upside down the road.

When I mentioned Blasby and Abu-Ali, they were the ones that came to mind without a list in front of me. But, there were a few guys who stood out to me at the rookie camp who could surprise this fall.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
The rangers need some grit they were pushed around by most teams until randell came back are any of there draft picks gritty ie Tom Wilson/Tyler randell type guys

Not sure anyone we drafted would help us in that regard this year. What Spott has to do to deal for it. He has two OA spots to fill. Nobody wants toughness like, say, Kyle Flemmington was for the Knights last year. we need our tough guys to be players too.

Could OA Micheal Kantor be available from the Wolves? Every time he played us he was hard to play against. I'd love him here.

How about David Broll from the Soo? Some may frown on Broll but he was a 1st round pick in this league so there has to be some quality there waiting to bust out.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:39 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Providing he earns it is right. Until announced by the Rangers, as far as I'm concerned, AC is still in our plans this year.

This isn't a guy like McKegg, Halischuk, Downie, Spaling, Watson, D'Amigo, or others who virtually have no shot at an OA season because they've proven all they have to at this level and the AHL is the next logical step.

As an undrafted but NHL signed player, AC has a grand toal of 82 pts in 175 OHL reg season games. That's less thean a half point a game for a forward. There have been players of higher stature in the past that have played OA seasons in this league and to be honest, I think AC plays his OA season too. No doubt the Leafs will want him to work on his offense this year. He won't be able to do that from the Marlies 4th line or pressbox.

Unless he's asked for a trade, then I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be a Ranger this season. He has a hell of a lot to prove before all is said and done. I have him penciled in on the 3rd line but we all know that MM is injury prone and it wouldn't take long for AC the be elevated in the event MM does get hurt or the "back to center" move for MM doesn't work out.

As a team "going for it" this season, to have a 17 year old rookie (Bailey) on the third line (not to mention the underacheiving Pederson as well) doesn't sound to me like the veteran depth needed to win a championship.

And as far as Lesway goes, if Spott doesn't have guys like him, Grant and Francisco weeded out by the end of camp, then it won't say a lot about the quality of young newcomers joining the organization. I have Bailey, Llewellyn and Scmaltz bumping those three right off the roster.
I would love AC to come back. Just from interviews I've heard and speculation, you just don't hear him in returning conversations.

With the CBA and potential lock out I also see it the other way that you do. I see that NHL teams may hold onto OHL OA and potential see them starting on 4th lines or even in the ECHL. I see this because of the unknown, teams may want to hold onto these types of players before sending them back to jr because once they are back there is no more call ups. This will fill a holder spot if you will until everything gets figured out personel wise with their NHL and AHL clubs. ECHL is still on option as well. But this is all my opinion as I can see OA used as a inbetween tool.

AC would be the perfect 2nd/3rd line guy that could fill both roles and be valueable to a long playoff push. I hope he is back but not counting on it yet.

As for the Francisco, Lesway, Grants of this team....I just dont see them earning a spot with the latest developments of the roster in the off season. Players like Bailey, Schmaltz and Llewellyn will be taking (upgrading) their spots or pushing others down the chain to take their spots.

Old
07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Tim Wallach

Kitchener has added a ton of size, but most of it is very young. So I don't expect them to get pushed around as some fear, but they won't be brawlers. And this really solidifies Genovese's hold on the 6th defenceman role.

There will be more to come. I virtually guarantee it. With Schmalz, Llewellyn and Bailey all guaranteed ice and some like Blasby and possibly others nipping at the heels, it means the days of Francisco, Lesway and possibly even Ming could be nearing an end.

And don't expect any "announcement" from Kitchener re: Crescenzi. That is up to the Leafs. A Leaf scout mentioned toward the end of the year that he is "done at this level" but that doesn't mean much until the Leafs and Marlies take shape. Expect Spott to hold a place for him until at least mid-year either way.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Kitchener has added a ton of size, but most of it is very young. So I don't expect them to get pushed around as some fear, but they won't be brawlers. And this really solidifies Genovese's hold on the 6th defenceman role.

There will be more to come. I virtually guarantee it. With Schmalz, Llewellyn and Bailey all guaranteed ice and some like Blasby and possibly others nipping at the heels, it means the days of Francisco, Lesway and possibly even Ming could be nearing an end.
I agree with you on Genovese. He looks like he can be a TJ Eason clone and that suits me fine.

Ming is too good/old for 4th line duty, to old/soft for 3rd line duty, and not good enough to play on the top two lines. If we employ an old player on the third line, I want it to be a tougher player who can play, put up some goals, crash and bang, and be able to step in on the 2nd line if need be. I don't believe Ming can be that player this year.

I have Ming being moved in the same fashion as Lorentz was - as part of a package for high end help.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Not sure anyone we drafted would help us in that regard this year. What Spott has to do to deal for it. He has two OA spots to fill. Nobody wants toughness like, say, Kyle Flemmington was for the Knights last year. we need our tough guys to be players too.

Could OA Micheal Kantor be available from the Wolves? Every time he played us he was hard to play against. I'd love him here.

How about David Broll from the Soo? Some may frown on Broll but he was a 1st round pick in this league so there has to be some quality there waiting to bust out.
I would take Kantor over Broll, Broll may be marginally a better fighter due to size but Kantor is IMHO a better player.
The other player that always impressed me with his grit is Johnny McGuire of Erie who laid two beatings on Tinordi
(broke Tinordis cheekbone in one of the fights).
But too be honest the one player that I would make a big push for would be D-man Justin Sefton of the Wolves....(partner with Murphy on the No. 1 d-unit).
Our toughness up front is ok but having another bruiser on the blueline protecting Frankie and Gibson is a bigger priority for me. (Protect your prime assets!!!!!)
Not sure what it would take but I would start off with Ming, Gilbert, Lesway and Young (I consider Young to be > Dodero and Charlie turned out quite good for Sudbury)
...ahh what the heck they can have Francisco also!
I'm heavy on players in this trade since i want to see Spott start to re-coup some picks and quit giving them away (see the Mitch Eden trade).
*Imagine having Sefton and Genovese then if Trouba came on board? I know probably wishful thinking but that would give the Rangers toughness on all 3 d-pairings.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 12:41 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I would take Kantor over Broll, Broll may be marginally a better fighter due to size but Kantor is IMHO a better player.
The other player that always impressed me with his grit is Johnny McGuire of Erie who laid two beatings on Tinordi
(broke Tinordis cheekbone in one of the fights).
But too be honest the one player that I would make a big push for would be D-man Justin Sefton of the Wolves....(partner with Murphy on the No. 1 d-unit).
Our toughness up front is ok but having another bruiser on the blueline protecting Frankie and Gibson is a bigger priority for me. (Protect your prime assets!!!!!)
Not sure what it would take but I would start off with Ming, Gilbert, Lesway and Young (I consider Young to be > Dodero and Charlie turned out quite good for Sudbury)
...ahh what the heck they can have Francisco also!
I'm heavy on players in this trade since i want to see Spott start to re-coup some picks and quit giving them away (see the Mitch Eden trade).
*Imagine having Sefton and Genovese then if Trouba came on board? I know probably wishful thinking but that would give the Rangers toughness on all 3 d-pairings.

My thing with Broll is that he is a player with a lot to prove this year after a terrible year last year. I wondered if he didn't want to play in the Soo and if not, did that affecting his play? He appanently had a very good rookie camp with the Leafs and I expect he'll have a good season this year. As a tough, physical play, he does have his fights but he is the type of guy who won't have to fight much as his presense alone does the job out there more often than not. He isn't a PIM machine either (208PIMs in 188 GP). That means he's not putting your team on the PK much, thus, he isn't a liability.

Boy, I'd love to see Sefton here. He's only a one year guy as he's a '93, but the price may be a bit higher. Really, Gilbert would be the key to your deal for him as the rest would be basically throw-ins. You may have to add pick(s) as well. My fear in making that deal, is whether Gilbert would excercise his no-trade clause (at least to the Wolves) the way Thomson did a couple years ago. (If Thomson had a no-trade, Gilbert did for sure).

If we dealt for Sefton, and Trouba reported, our top six would look like this:
Murphy / Trouba
Iafrate / Sefton
Genovese / McEneny

Wow! And no an OA among them!

But, if Trouba reports, I doubt a Sefton deal ever happens. Those assets would be moved for more forward help.

I like MaGuire too. But does he provide enough quality to play on the third line of a championship team? My blueprint above, if you will, called for quality on the 3rd line and I'm not sure he'd be a consideration - for me anyway. In all likelyhood, Erie keeps all their toughness to help look after McDavid this year.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Phatpat88

With the CBA up in the air and rookie contracts changeing I think trouba will sign with the jets so he will have to go to the rangers but will half to wait and see if all are guys return and stay healthy we will be more dangerous than last year
Who do you think should be are captian?

Old
07-24-2012, 02:33 AM
NHL Fanatic

I think Trouba will stick out his commitment to the NCAA for at least a year. I expect Jared Gilbert to return to the roster. I like his potential and he was doing well until he got hurt.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Tim Wallach

I'm not certain about Gilbert's no-trade. He was a 3rd rounder, meaning it's far from certain. Don't forget Thomson was a kid slotted to go as high as the latter half of the 1st round, but had NCAA on his radar, hence the no-trade.

I'd be hesitant to move Gilbert as I believe he's going to be a really solid puck-moving D-man in time. But it's a chip they can afford to play at this point in time if they want to compete. As for Ming, I agree with everything said above. My only addendum would be that he's a consumate coach's player in Spott's eyes. He does exactly what is asked all the time and sets a great example off-ice. Never complains. So he occupies a weird grey zone where he probably could/should be moved, but it's not a given. For me, the givens are Francisco, Lesway, Grant and anyone else over the age of 17 who can't play top-9.

Finally, on the question of captain, I have Fanelli pencilled in. But there are options.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post

Finally, on the question of captain, I have Fanelli pencilled in. But there are options.
My three candidates would be in order....Fanelli, Thomson (thank-god for him on invoking his no-trade!!) and.....................................Eric Ming.

I'm not as down on Ming as some on here but I understand why.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Crottenham

Anyone have any thoughts on how Fanelli wasn't drafted by an NHL team, or even invited as an FA to a rookie camp? Odd.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on how Fanelli wasn't drafted by an NHL team, or even invited as an FA to a rookie camp? Odd.
I'm almost certain it has to be his injury from a cpl years ago.
But if a team took a chance on him they would be very happy with what he brings.
What pisses me off is he's a talented player who never got an sniff while an idiot (and has proven it plenty of times after) Mike Liambas got invited to the Leafs rookie camp all because of his hit on Fanelli.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:43 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
If we dealt for Sefton, and Trouba reported, our top six would look like this:
Murphy / Trouba
Iafrate / Sefton
Genovese / McEneny

Wow! And no an OA among them!
That would be quite the D! The only problem with your lineup would be Fanelli. I see him as a Ranger for his OHL career and in the lineup. I see Spott and Co finding a spot for him even if we are stacked. But in that lineup I still have him over Genovese and McEneny.

As for captain, I can see it going to Fanelli, Murphy (if back) or Thomson. If AC comes back I could see him in the mix.

Quote:
I would think it would be for precautionary reasons. I am not surprised he did not attend a camp to this point. You have to remember it was just his first season back after injury. Takes some time to get back up to speed of the game.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:33 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Mike Liambas got invited to the Leafs rookie camp all because of his hit on Fanelli.
I don't think that is true what so ever. Considering he was invited to the camp before the hit even happened going into his OA year.

Old
07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I don't think that is true what so ever. Considering he was invited to the camp before the hit even happened going into his OA year.
He got the invite (Sept 2010) almost a year after the hit (Oct. 2009) and never got a sniff at a NHL camp prior to the hit.

http://www.torontohockeynews.com/201...o-rookie-camp/

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=30071

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-24-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
He got the invite (Sept 2010) almost a year after the hit (Oct. 2009) and never got a sniff at a NHL camp prior to the hit.

http://www.torontohockeynews.com/201...o-rookie-camp/

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=30071
You're right I got the year mixed up but regardless he was not invited for that hit alone.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:56 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
With an injury as severe as Ben's I'd have to say it was definitely due to that. Otherwise there should have been some interest somewhere.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Phatpat88

As for captain, I can see it going to Fanelli, Murphy (if back) or Thomson. If AC comes back I could see him in the mix. Would you not think maybe Murphy or Toby

Old
07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I'd sooner see Murphy and Reider both concentrate on their game without the added burden of wearing the C. Both have areas to improve and while Reider had a stellar year last year, Murph did not.

Fanelli wearing the C sounds good to me, with some combination of Ming/Crescenzi/Puempel/Marcantuoni wearing the A's.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:02 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'd sooner see Murphy and Reider both concentrate on their game without the added burden of wearing the C. Both have areas to improve and while Reider had a stellar year last year, Murph did not.

Fanelli wearing the C sounds good to me, with some combination of Ming/Crescenzi/Puempel/Marcantuoni wearing the A's.
Puempel should not wear an A.... That experiment did not work in Peterborough. Just a heads up....

Old
07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Puempel should not wear an A.... That experiment did not work in Peterborough. Just a heads up....
Aaah, did not know that.

Spott & Co. are pretty good at recognizing who is a leader and who is better off concentrating on their games, so I'm pretty confident in whoever they choose.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Aaah, did not know that.

Spott & Co. are pretty good at recognizing who is a leader and who is better off concentrating on their games, so I'm pretty confident in whoever they choose.
Just from what I've personally seen... Dedication and loyalty aren't quite his thing lol. But... With that being said... Now that he is in Kitchener he could be that much more determined to prove people wrong!

Old
07-24-2012, 03:27 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
As for captain, I can see it going to Fanelli, Murphy (if back) or Thomson. If AC comes back I could see him in the mix. Would you not think maybe Murphy or Toby
I can see Murphy being considered. Rieder not so much just because I saw him as being quiet off the ice, not so much for interviews and what not. Dont see him being that vocal for the C. He can focus on the ice more and continuing to put the puck in the net.

I am always leary of giving an A or C to a new roster player. Takes them time to adapt to the room and players.

Closed Thread