HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Takashi

vCash: 500
My habs pick:
1- Yakupov
2- Grigorenko
3- Galchenyuk
4- Forsberg
5- Murray

Old
05-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Do you guys think Murray is a lock for the NHL next season, since he's already playing with the big guys in an international competition (in a limited role, but still).

Also, do you think he's a good comparable to Erik Johnson?
He could play and survive, but I am not sure he'd be more than a 4th defender. Possibly just a 3rd pairing guy next season.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Maatta, slowly but surely, aiming for a top 10 spot.

Old
05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Jesker

What do you guys think of Dylan Blujus ? Saw him a play a couple of times and looked really poised as he played a smart effective game. Has solid stats, has great size (6'3 and 190), right-handed shot, and looked like the general of Brampton's defense but he's ranked pretty far...

I know there's some concern on defensive aspect of his game as well as his physical game, but arn't they the same concerns you would apply to Griffin Reinhart or Derrick Pouliot for example ?

Old
05-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Krnage

Seth Jones will have a new home next season with the Portland Winterhawks.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/jones...h-winterhawks/

Old
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM
phillytennis

Nicholas kerdiles!!!

If we can find a way to get a second pick in the 1st round...around the 20th
overall...we should get a true go getter...a grinder with a scoring touch...
Nicholas Kerdiles...6'1, 200 lbs., could become the next Max Pacioretty.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
rockjngo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Do you guys think Murray is a lock for the NHL next season, since he's already playing with the big guys in an international competition (in a limited role, but still).

Also, do you think he's a good comparable to Erik Johnson?
I believe Murray can jump right in and play. He'll better than you think. People under value Murray's offensive potential. I heard Bobby Mac said he can play a shutdown game like Erik Gudbranson or offensive game like Ryan Murphy. I don't know about you but when I think of Gudbranson I think of Jovanovski and when I think of Murphy I think of Brian Rafalski.

Old
05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Not a Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Nice blog written by Galchenyuk himself:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=9327
Iím actually wondering what the odds are that
Galchenyuk wrote this blog himself. Remember that players and their entourage (agents) stand to gain greatly by being picked early.

It may go something like this (speculation only):

A meeting takes place between the agent, the player, and a public relations firm.

Agent: We need your help. Our client has dropped in the latest draft rankings. Weíre afraid that he may drop even further.

Public relations guy: what in your opinion is the reason for this?

Agent: Well, he didnít play all year and when he did return to action he didnít perform as well as we had hoped.

Public relations guy: Why?

Agent: It could be many reasons: 1. Itís my clientís first playoffs. 2. He was not in game shape. 3. Bad luck. 4. The other teamís goalie was hot.

Public relations guy: OK How about we put together a blog to remind everyone of your clientís assets i.e., team player, warrior, and completely healed. We would make sure to write it in such a way that it will not sound like excuses for subpar performance.

Now go read the blog Ö

Old
05-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Not a Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysvette View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...hl_news_notes/

Sorry if this has been posted already but Sam mentions that Grigs has been diagnosed with Mono...might explain his slow play lately, in which I was able to see first hand...
Now im sure if Grigs would be a bad choice...im still thinking that Galchenyuk has a higher ceiling..
It may explain it or it may not. Mono can be as mild as a common cold or so severe that it requires hospitalization.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:07 PM
JAVO16

Man, 13 draft threads in one year, this has got to be some sort of record.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:19 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Fish View Post
It may explain it or it may not. Mono can be as mild as a common cold or so severe that it requires hospitalization.
Yeah, Mono can really **** you up.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
05-07-2012, 10:24 PM
le_sean

Lots of interesting choices with their 2nd rounders. I can see the Habs trade Nashville's pick for a couple more 3rd rounders.

I really like Matteau and Sissons early in the 2nd. Two guys that can be difference makers on the ice with hard, physical play. The player that can make the difference on the scoresheet can be picked with their 1st, the player that will lay the big hit or block a big shot at the end of the game can be picked in the 2nd.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:32 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Lots of interesting choices with their 2nd rounders. I can see the Habs trade Nashville's pick for a couple more 3rd rounders.

I really like Matteau and Sissons early in the 2nd. Two guys that can be difference makers on the ice with hard, physical play. The player that can make the difference on the scoresheet can be picked with their 1st, the player that will lay the big hit or block a big shot at the end of the game can be picked in the 2nd.
Sissons sounds like a great pick up. He is considered one of the strongest two way players in the draft so he is probably going to make it to the NHL some day just for his defensive abilities.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:36 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Sissons sounds like a great pick up. He is considered one of the strongest two way players in the draft so he is probably going to make it to the NHL some day just for his defensive abilities.
I don't know how good his skating is, but he sounds like a Timmins kind of pick. Two-way play and leadership. Leblanc is really the only sure-fire forward with those qualities on the team. Bournival is another possibility, but who knows after his poor playoff performance.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I also like Matteau. Seems like a player similar to Pacioretty in his draft year.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:26 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If we somehow luck into Yakupov, I'll be thrilled beyond belief because he's like Kessel only with bite to his game.

If we draft Galchenyuk, I'll be ecstatic as you may have guessed.

If we draft Grigorenko, I'll be happy because he remains a mammoth talent with a terrific brain and I think we'll have enough guys up who really care at the wing position (Pacioretty, Gallagher, Leblanc, etc) to makeup for his possible ''baggage''.

If we draft Forsberg, I'll be pleased with it because you know the guy who recommended Lidstrom and Lundqvist (Rockstrom) would have had a huge say.

If we draft Murray or Dumba, I'll look forward to having an excellent foursome of young defenders to build around, while also immediately being on board with a scenario where we acquire Schenn or Couturier from Philly in a year or two for one of them.

Any other pick at #3 would be bad, for the love of god trade down if for some reason Teravainen-Rielly-Trouba is our guy.
sums up my feelings pretty closely.

i think Dumba & Galchenyuk are the "safest" to make the most out of their potential, though Yakupov, Grigs, Murray & Forsberg all probably have slightly higher end physical talent/skill potential.

If Timmins does favour one of the other kids projecting to be picked later, I hope Bergevin does manage to trade down, but if not, I'll give our scouting team the short-term benefit of the doubt & cross my fingers that we don't end up with a "Hickey".

Old
05-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

YES! Guaranteed that the Nashville pick will be #51 at worst.

Good chance it's #50. 1 of NJ forfeits their 1st OR Rangers lose to WSH needs to happen (NJ will forfeit, IMO).

If both happen, #49.

Old
05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
sums up my feelings pretty closely.

i think Dumba & Galchenyuk are the "safest" to make the most out of their potential, though Yakupov, Grigs, Murray & Forsberg all probably have slightly higher end physical talent/skill potential.

If Timmins does favour one of the other kids projecting to be picked later, I hope Bergevin does manage to trade down, but if not, I'll give our scouting team the short-term benefit of the doubt & cross my fingers that we don't end up with a "Hickey".
That "Hickey" is a disease common to LA Kings,Timmins is immune to the garden variety diseases that the rest of the teams in the NHL seem to catch.Montreal fans are extremely happy to have a head scout that develops their players that has this immunity.Yeah Trevor!

Old
05-08-2012, 03:23 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Fish View Post
Iím actually wondering what the odds are that
Galchenyuk wrote this blog himself. Remember that players and their entourage (agents) stand to gain greatly by being picked early.

It may go something like this (speculation only):

A meeting takes place between the agent, the player, and a public relations firm.

Agent: We need your help. Our client has dropped in the latest draft rankings. Weíre afraid that he may drop even further.

Public relations guy: what in your opinion is the reason for this?

Agent: Well, he didnít play all year and when he did return to action he didnít perform as well as we had hoped.

Public relations guy: Why?

Agent: It could be many reasons: 1. Itís my clientís first playoffs. 2. He was not in game shape. 3. Bad luck. 4. The other teamís goalie was hot.

Public relations guy: OK How about we put together a blog to remind everyone of your clientís assets i.e., team player, warrior, and completely healed. We would make sure to write it in such a way that it will not sound like excuses for subpar performance.

Now go read the blog Ö

You see the world as it is.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:37 AM
BobbyFischer*

We need to draft Ryan Murray, to replace the hurt of losing McDonagh.

He will be even better than McDonagh, or should be anyway.

Old
05-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
We need to draft Ryan Murray, to replace the hurt of losing McDonagh.

He will be even better than McDonagh, or should be anyway.
It certainly would. Murray looks like a beast of a player but I'd love to get a star center. My first choice would be Galchenyuk but I wouldn't mind Grigs either. I can hardly wait till draft day to see what happens

Old
05-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

They aren't that comparable in my mind. Murray is nowhere near as physical. Trouba is more like McDonagh.

Timmins needs to pick the best player, not try to repair the idiotic mistake made by people no longer in charge.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

I haven't seen much of Sissons, but as a late 1993 41 points in 58 games screams 3rd or 4th liner to me...does he have enough upside for round 2?

By comparison Sutter went 59 in 70 and most people see him as a good 3rd liner.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post

You see the world as it is.
But do Scouts really give a crap about the blog? Average Joes like us do, but do scouts put any weight into this or just base i off of interviews and Scouting?

Old
05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I haven't seen much of Sissons, but as a late 1993 41 points in 58 games screams 3rd or 4th liner to me...does he have enough upside for round 2?

By comparison Sutter went 59 in 70 and most people see him as a good 3rd liner.
If it came down to it, I'd choose Sutter before Sissons. Sutter can score, but he is also well groomed in the FO circle and has all the sandpaper you'd want in a bottom 6 role

Closed Thread