HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Genghis Keon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Where was he? Leading the Ivan Hlinka tournament in scoring at 16. Ahh - I feel like a broken record trying to explain to people that these scouting services don't always have the top ten figured out months before the draft......every year there are guys that justifiably climb the rankings in the last couple of months especially after the U-18s where a lot of things become clearer.

The same thing happens every year..Oliver Ekman Larsson a few years back Erik Karlsson, Klefbom...there are always some late climbers who weren't seen a lot by NA scouts before the U-18's because teams can't afford to ship their top scouts overseas every couple of weeks.
How does he compare to a forward version of Erik Karlsson? Both were seen as having the potential to be the best players in their drafts (at least their was talk about Karlsson potentially ending up the best defender in his draft class, a draft class that included Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Bogosian, even though Karlsson was generally viewed by fans as a late first rounder with lots of helium), both are 5-11ish and rail thin (at the time of the draft), both are known for their exemplary hockey sense, both are good skaters, and both are known for their big shots (despite their light weight frames).

Karlsson plays a position where size is much more important, yet he's been the biggest reason for the Sens quick turnaround and is a Norris nominee at 21. If Teraivanen's potentially close to a forward version of Karlsson, I don't see how size matters at all. Not saying I'd draft him, but I wouldn't mind if we did.

Old
05-13-2012, 11:22 AM
phillytennis

Drafting...Like the Stockmarket!!!

Unfortunately, the draft is like the stockmarket.
Even though you have done your due diligence...unexpected things can occur...
difficulty dealing with pressure...injury...personnal and family problems...conflicts
with coaching staff...teammates...you get the picture!!!
Character...is the key issue to examine... all these players have great physical
skills to justify the Habs picking them. Trevor Timmins will have to pick their
brains and that of their junior coaches...to figure who may have the necessary
upside to deal with the relentless pressure that goes with playing for a storied
franchise like the Montreal Canadiens.
For those reasons, I would probably select...Galchenyuk, Dumba and Forsberg
in that order...though if Yakupov is available...difficult not to select him...most
NHL ready!!!

Old
05-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Unfortunately, the draft is like the stockmarket.
Even though you have done your due diligence...unexpected things can occur...
difficulty dealing with pressure...injury...personnal and family problems...conflicts
with coaching staff...teammates...you get the picture!!!
Character...is the key issue to examine... all these players have great physical
skills to justify the Habs picking them. Trevor Timmins will have to pick their
brains and that of their junior coaches...to figure who may have the necessary
upside to deal with the relentless pressure that goes with playing for a storied
franchise like the Montreal Canadiens.
For those reasons, I would probably select...Galchenyuk, Dumba and Forsberg
in that order...though if Yakupov is available...difficult not to select him...most
NHL ready!!!
you realize you dont need to title every post right?

Old
05-13-2012, 12:38 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
It's nice to know that Marc Bergevin is considered to be in the top 1% for his knowledge in evaluating talent,that along with Trevor Timmins and Rick Dudley (in the near future) gives the Habs one of the best teams for drafting in the NHL.(IMO the best)No longer will our draft picks be like throwing darts blindfolded,which will speed the healing process exponentially.The 2012 Entry Draft will be a pleasurable consolation prize for enduring a season of injury woes and heart wrenching losses repeatedly. This is not directed to Timmins picks in any way,shape or form he has turned the Habs fortunes around since being head scout.These drinks are getting to me or the heat,what I meant to say is Timmins has drafted really well since being Head Scout and the Habs are starting to reap the rewards from those draft picks now and in the next few years.

Last edited by S Bah: 05-13-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old
05-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Maybe 10-15 years ago.

THN's draft preview now is more for the casual draft fan. The only reason I still get it is because of my collection.

If you want a MUCH deeper draft preview, I'd go with either McKeen's or ISS personally. I thought Hockey Prospect has been quite good the past 2 years as well.
I just get it for the pictures!! haha...really.

Personally my favourite is Red Line....not because it is the most accurate, but because Woodlief doesn't pull any punches.... his whole motto is that he runs it like a 31st NHL team and when you read it, you can see why every year there are big surprises. Each team will have favourites and teams will NOT draft players if they don't like them....doesn't matter what others think....also if teams love players they are going to take them high....and that is just proven year after year.

I think ISS is the best in terms of having all the players. They normally get it pretty close, but their rankings I find a bit biased.

Mckeens has gone through a lot of changes it seems. The couple of years I got Mckeens I found that they had pretty good write-ups, but were a bit less willing to stray from popular opinion. And anyone who has followed the draft knows that popular opinions get's tossed out the window as soon as Betman introduces the 1st team.

Ultimately the only list that really counts is the list that the teams make during the draft and the best way to get to know players is to watch them play.

Old
05-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Where was he? Leading the Ivan Hlinka tournament in scoring at 16. Ahh - I feel like a broken record trying to explain to people that these scouting services don't always have the top ten figured out months before the draft......every year there are guys that justifiably climb the rankings in the last couple of months especially after the U-18s where a lot of things become clearer.

The same thing happens every year..Oliver Ekman Larsson a few years back Erik Karlsson, Klefbom...there are always some late climbers who weren't seen a lot by NA scouts before the U-18's because teams can't afford to ship their top scouts overseas every couple of weeks.

+1

I guess these guys don't pay attention to what actually happens on draft day.

The other interesting thing is that these late risers often end up being great picks.....AND for habs fans Trevor Timmins is usually pretty au courrant ......AND if past drafts are any indication Timmins seems to like players that do well down the stretch and are trending upwards...

Old
05-13-2012, 12:58 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
It's nice to know that Marc Bergevin is considered to be in the top 1% for his knowledge in evaluating talent,that along with Trevor Timmins and Rick Dudley (in the near future) gives the Habs one of the best teams for drafting in the NHL.(IMO the best)No longer will our draft picks be like throwing darts blindfolded,which will speed the healing process exponentially.The 2012 Entry Draft will be a pleasurable consolation prize for enduring a season of injury woes and heart wrenching losses repeatedly.
If they don't pick Gally fire them all
We might be surprised with who they go for. For all we know Grigorenko will be their choice.

Old
05-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Top Corner2

Has anybody seen enough of Tereuvanen to know if this kid will translate into a C in the NHL or will he be better suited at W?

Old
05-13-2012, 02:00 PM
S Bah

When I look through the players in the first three rounds,there are so many picks that would look good in Habs uniforms I'd like to see them acquire another three picks.One in each of the first three rounds would make this draft like the old 60's drafts when the Habs had the first two choices from the QMJHL to start.Anyway whoever said this draft drops off after the middle of the first round doesn't know much about evaluating players.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:01 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
THN's Top 10 are:

Yakupov
Forsberg
Grigorenko
Murray
Dumba
Reilly
Galchenyuk
Reinhart
Trouba
Ceci
nothin new here .i'm sure lotsa people on hf boards will have issues with it tho.cant wait to see who we get.

Old
05-13-2012, 02:06 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
It was considered the "bible of the draft" when Bob McKenzie was publisher 15-20 years ago. Bear in mind this is the same publication that had Karlsson ranked in the 50's a few years back. Also consider that the rankings are done before the U-18 tournament, the most pertinent competition of the draft year.

There is a very good chance that the person who did these rankings never saw him play. He is a center...
No that can't be right. Mckenzie has Teravainen ranked 10th and a RW. There is some screwy stuff going on here

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=62636

Old
05-13-2012, 02:13 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
No that can't be right. Mckenzie has Teravainen ranked 10th and a RW. There is some screwy stuff going on here

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=62636
That was before the U18s

Old
05-13-2012, 02:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

Speaking of Bobbymac when does his final draft list come out?

Old
05-13-2012, 03:20 PM
sheed36

I haven't been following the World Championships but for those that have been how as Ryan Murray looked for Canada? Is he getting much ice time and contributing?

Old
05-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Has anybody seen enough of Tereuvanen to know if this kid will translate into a C in the NHL or will he be better suited at W?

I mentioned to an eastern conference scout that THN ranks him as a LW. Here was his reply....

"He only played LW with Jokerit menís team because they wanted to protect him, didnít think he was strong enough to defend in OZ BUT they moved him to center in playoffs and he never had a problem. He always played center internationally. He is natural center if I have ever seen one!"

Old
05-13-2012, 04:11 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I mentioned to an eastern conference scout that THN ranks him as a LW. Here was his reply....

"He only played LW with Jokerit menís team because they wanted to protect him, didnít think he was strong enough to defend in OZ BUT they moved him to center in playoffs and he never had a problem. He always played center internationally. He is natural center if I have ever seen one!"
Well the scouts have been aware of TT's rising value all season and particularly the last 8 weeks,TT could very well be high on the Habs list.Montreal knows the worth of centers like TT,Henri Richard,Ralph Backstrom,Pierre Mondou,Saku Koivu,etc. to name a few.Funny that four out of five forwards in the top picks are Centers,that gives the Habs a very good position to pick considering Yakupov is the one that doesn't play Center.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Dada

Quote:

Between Grigo, Galch and Teravainen, you'd say he's the most gifted offensively ?

Old
05-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Speaking of Bobbymac when does his final draft list come out?
New ranking on Tuesday

Old
05-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Slava Malamud ‏ @SlavaMalamud
Sources in Russia say that CSKA is very likely to make a big play for Grigorenko. If true, this should plunge his draft stock.

------------

Maybe Roy won't get his guy back next year.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Sources in Russia say that CSKA is very likely to make a big play for Grigorenko. If true, this should plunge his draft stock.

------------

Should hurt his stock and further cement the fact we are not selecting Grigorenko at 3.

Old
05-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:

Cool...thanks.

It's amazing when you look back at the drafts how often with a bit of retrospect, the centres become the better picks. It sounds like we might be able to get ourselves a top notch centre prospect this year. That would be great!

Old
05-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Should hurt his stock and further cement the fact we are not selecting Grigorenko at 3.
Yup.

I'm hoping it's Galchenyuk.

Old
05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
New ranking on Tuesday
Thanks! I look forward to it.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

------------

They did the same thing last summer after he was drafted by Quebec.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:17 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Considering Murray will probably go #1 or #2, we'll have Yakupov or Galchenyuk. I don't think Habs will have to choose between Grigorenko or another player outside of Yaks or Galch, which is a good thing.

Closed Thread