HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
I agree with you...Plekanec had a lousy year...though Plekanec has a great deal
more HOCKEY SENSE or PUCK SENSE than Eller...and it's not even close!!!
If we begin to value Eller as a better player than Plekanec...we will be bottom
dwellers for a while yet!!!
First who made you a GM not the Habs sounds like Pierre McGuire talk,I recall him saying Eller is a 3rd line center and that's it.Eller can lay out some sweet passes,bodychecks and is learning quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I still say trade Plekanec. Look at the team objectively - sure he's our best two way player but he nets a huge asset if traded. Lets be honest - the Habs are a one line team with a lot of building blocks needed to become contenders. Eller can slide into Plekanec's second line role and should do well with more ice time. Desharnais stays on the top line and we can sign a guy like Chris Kelly, Dominic Moore or Jarret Stoll to play third line minutes. The return that Plekanec nets should be fairly substantial and should really expedite the rebuild.
Plekanec signed for $5mil a yr.a very cap-friendly salary for the good of the team and has a No-Trade-Contract which unlike some organizations really means something in Montreal.This team isn't about stomping on loyal players that play their heart out for the team.The reason Marc Bergevin,Rick Dudley and Larry Robinson want to be here is winners treat others with respect and the Habs are winners.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Physical HABuse

Lars Eller reminds me of a player I have been watching lately...Dainius Zubrus. Not necessarily because they play the same style of game. They are both big forwards.....having played centre and winger....and long ago when he played for the Habs I thought what does he offer the team? He isn't putting up many points. Now.....14 years after he played for the Habs, he is still playing in the NHL and playing for a playoff team that values him. He must be doing something right. A team just needs players like this to succeed. I wouldn't give up on Eller anytime soon. Besides he may turn out to put up more impressive numbers in the coming years....and if not, he'll still be doing the things that need to be done to stay in the league for a decade and a half.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:38 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
First who made you a GM not the Habs sounds like Pierre McGuire talk,I recall him saying Eller is a 3rd line center and that's it.Eller can lay out some sweet passes,bodychecks and is learning quickly.

Plekanec signed for $5mil a yr.a very cap-friendly salary for the good of the team and has a No-Trade-Contract which unlike some organizations really means something in Montreal.This team isn't about stomping on loyal players that play their heart out for the team.The reason Marc Bergevin,Rick Dudley and Larry Robinson want to be here is winners treat others with respect and the Habs are winners.
Wrong. Unless you missed them lose all year, trade a guy midway through a game, trade players and Not inform them where they were going and publicly apologize for HIRING a coach? The Habs are and have been a joke. I'm not thrilled about it, but I do have the ability to see things objectively. The Habs have looked like the Harold Ballard Leafs of old. Now this can be remedied but it's time to rebuild. Plekanec is a good piece and if you moved him to a team like Anaheim, he'd be an immediate contender.

Just so you remember, Larry Robinson was traded by Montreal. Ditto for other greats like Roy, Carbonneau, Etc... It's a business. Plekanec certainly hasn't done as much as those legends.

Old
05-16-2012, 03:40 AM
McPheesMoustache
No Scrubs...

Quote:
If I am Max Pacioretty...I would be insulted if I was compared to Eller.
Don't get me wrong...Eller seems like a nice guy...but certainly not a top 6 player
on any NHL roster...realistically, he will be our 4th line centre or at best a winger
on the 3rd line.
It just occurred to me that we could put together a package of your Eller hate along with Esteem Prophet's Grigo hate and Dryden's Tinordi hate and offer it in a trade to one of the HF Team Boards for something equally as informative and insightful...

Say for example, a Leafs fan's opinion on whether it will be Kadri or Kessel that will lead the NHL in points next year. Maybe if were lucky they'll even throw in some posts about how even though hes an ok defenceman, they wouldn't want Subban on their team because he's not a team player...
If the Leafs fans are somehow too smart to take the deal, we could almost surely swing something with the Oilers posters who are just waiting to trade their 1st overall for another high 1st rd and that teams young franchise star/GM's firstborn son. (Don't know what those guys are smoking but at least they spend their ignorance LOVING, not hating on their own team).

Obviously we'd have to insist on a Burke/Dudley type clause forbidding you from sharing any more of your helpful knowledge about the Habs until after the draft.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:00 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Wrong. Unless you missed them lose all year, trade a guy midway through a game, trade players and Not inform them where they were going and publicly apologize for HIRING a coach? The Habs are and have been a joke. I'm not thrilled about it, but I do have the ability to see things objectively. The Habs have looked like the Harold Ballard Leafs of old. Now this can be remedied but it's time to rebuild. Plekanec is a good piece and if you moved him to a team like Anaheim, he'd be an immediate contender.

Just so you remember, Larry Robinson was traded by Montreal. Ditto for other greats like Roy, Carbonneau, Etc... It's a business. Plekanec certainly hasn't done as much as those legends.
One poor season with the causes of that fiasco are gone and replaced with a new GM that is respected throughout the league for his professionalism.The transgressions of the last GM cannot speak for all of the great teams and people that have helped build the NHL to the best hockey league in the world.Please direct your sour words to the person that deserves it not upon the Montreal Canadiens and all of the honest hardworking people that strive to make the Habs great again.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:47 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
I still say trade Plekanec. Look at the team objectively - sure he's our best two way player but he nets a huge asset if traded. Lets be honest - the Habs are a one line team with a lot of building blocks needed to become contenders. Eller can slide into Plekanec's second line role and should do well with more ice time. Desharnais stays on the top line and we can sign a guy like Chris Kelly, Dominic Moore or Jarret Stoll to play third line minutes. The return that Plekanec nets should be fairly substantial and should really expedite the rebuild.
Why you so fierce to trade Plekanec for a pick who probably end up not as good as him? Plekanec is signed longterm, excellent defensively, average about 60 points and is great in dressing room? Common wrong in hockey is over valuing draft picks near the draft. It happens quite often, picks are at there highest value. Look at the 6th overall picks who disappointed in last 10-15 years compare that number to ones who end better than Plekanec. The odds are against it.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
One poor season with the causes of that fiasco are gone and replaced with a new GM that is respected throughout the league for his professionalism.The transgressions of the last GM cannot speak for all of the great teams and people that have helped build the NHL to the best hockey league in the world.Please direct your sour words to the person that deserves it not upon the Montreal Canadiens and all of the honest hardworking people that strive to make the Habs great again.
Lol - it wasn't just the GM my friend. He has to report to the president and owners and they allowed the circus to continue. As far as "the honest hard working people trying to make the Habs great again," I'm all for them. But how is Larry Robinson coaching the Devils helping the Habs?

Old
05-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Why you so fierce to trade Plekanec for a pick who probably end up not as good as him? Plekanec is signed longterm, excellent defensively, average about 60 points and is great in dressing room? Common wrong in hockey is over valuing draft picks near the draft. It happens quite often, picks are at there highest value. Look at the 6th overall picks who disappointed in last 10-15 years compare that number to ones who end better than Plekanec. The odds are against it.
Plus, it's the worst time to trade Plekanec after playing half the year with crappy linemates and having a down year stats wise.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:52 AM
baldrick

If you want to finish near the bottom for the next five years then yes,trade Plekanec.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Trading Plekanec would only make sense if the Habs plan on acquiring someone better via trade since there aren't any Centers in the UFA pool this year. Trading Plekanec for a draft pick or hoping that this pick becomes better at this point makes no sense for the Habs

Old
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
Lars Eller reminds me of a player I have been watching lately...Dainius Zubrus. Not necessarily because they play the same style of game. They are both big forwards.....having played centre and winger....and long ago when he played for the Habs I thought what does he offer the team? He isn't putting up many points. Now.....14 years after he played for the Habs, he is still playing in the NHL and playing for a playoff team that values him. He must be doing something right. A team just needs players like this to succeed. I wouldn't give up on Eller anytime soon. Besides he may turn out to put up more impressive numbers in the coming years....and if not, he'll still be doing the things that need to be done to stay in the league for a decade and a half.
Great post.

It seems, we are always looking for a savior on our team and if a player does not live up to unreasonable expectations and doesn't set the league ablaze he somehow 'sucks' and we get rid of him.

Okay, so, what's the idea here... we trade Eller, who is a very good 2-way player for his age, still quite young, has decent size, and has obvious offensive upside.

So.... we trade him away.. why? because he hasn't scored 40 goals in a season?

Old
05-16-2012, 09:09 AM
newtown33

Quote:
If I am Max Pacioretty...I would be insulted if I was compared to Eller.
Don't get me wrong...Eller seems like a nice guy...but certainly not a top 6 player
on any NHL roster...realistically, he will be our 4th line centre or at best a winger
on the 3rd line.
Eller is and will be a valuable player for a while...he got drafted in 2007 for god sake...he reminds of guys like Hanzal and Stoll to be honest, very valuable player

Old
05-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Eller has not developped into a first or second line center...at best he will
remain as a third line centre...and not that great at that.
As a center you must see the ice really well and create opportunities for your
wingers. He doesn't do that well.
I would rather see Eller on the wing...or trade him for a 1st round pick...
around 20th overall.
The guy is 22 with 2 years in the NHL, it's pretty early to write him off, especially considering last year due to injuries he mostly played with 4th line or AHL calibre wingers.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I don't understand the obsession with centers on here, we have a solid group of top 3 centers, they each bring something different and it's a group we could win with but all we hear about is trading this guy and that guy...let them friggen develop and find them decent wingers to play with.

I have no issues drafting Galcheyuk but he won't be NHL ready for at least a year.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The guy is 22 with 2 years in the NHL, it's pretty early to write him off, especially considering last year due to injuries he mostly played with 4th line or AHL calibre wingers.
Please tell me people aren't actually writing Eller off? I thought he had a great season overall last year.

At worst, I think he's a solid 2-way center with size... not unlike Zubrus as another poster mentioned.

If his flashes of brilliance that we saw from time to time are an indicator of his offensive upside than I think he can be a top 2 centerman just yet. There are times where he looks like Kopitar out there.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Grant McCagg

It's ridiculous to predict that Eller will only ever be a fourth line center at best....he's already been a 16 goal scorer before the age of 23 and had a four-goal game. Those stats are only going to get better as he matures and gains more strength and confidence.

I've seen progress in his game since first coming to the Habs, and that progress will continue. I think he'll be a solid third-line player this season, and I think he's still got a shot at being a top six forward in this league.

Alas - we should get back to the draft discussion.

I talked to a scout today who, like myself, has major issues with Button's latest list after the top 7...

Personally I don't see Finn, Jankowski and Subban going that high or Murray and Maatta that low.

I also don't think Bystrom or Smith are first rounders, and Collberg for me is a top 15 guy. I'm not even to get into the second round. :-0

Old
05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
juve

Grant, is there a possibility Yakupov could drop to 3?

Old
05-16-2012, 09:44 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Grant, is there a possibility Yakupov could drop to 3?
well im not grant and i already said i'd eat a shoe if the oilers didn't draft him. i dread to think what i'd have to eat if he dropped to third

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 05-16-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: shocking amount of missing words
Old
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
Please tell me people aren't actually writing Eller off? I thought he had a great season overall last year.

At worst, I think he's a solid 2-way center with size... not unlike Zubrus as another poster mentioned.

If his flashes of brilliance that we saw from time to time are an indicator of his offensive upside than I think he can be a top 2 centerman just yet. There are times where he looks like Kopitar out there.
Just look at a guy like Koivu(Mikko) who has a similar style game and build.

At 20 he played in Finland, at 21 he played AHL 48 points in 67 games. At 22 he was an NHL rookie 21 points in 64 games. At 23 his production jumped to 54 points in 82 games.

Eller's development curve has been about the same but a year ahead up to 22. I'm not saying he'll jump to 50+ points(would be hard to do with #3 minutes and no PP time) but if he was given a top 6 spot it wouldn't be far off the mark.

Even if he tops out as a big 2 way #3 center with 40-50 points a year, that's a luxury only the best/deepest teams have at #3.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:35 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Eller is definitely intriguing. Great combination of size, speed, and skill, and he works his butt off, has great intangibles, and has great defensive awareness for such a talent. In fact if DD can prove last year was just the begining, Eller could be the ideal complementary center in the top 6.

I think ultimately he ends up a 2 way center who can contribute 60 or so points a year. Like a Plekanec but with much better size.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Fozz

Isn't this the draft thread? What's with all the Eller & Plekanec talk?

Old
05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
SnapVirus

Youre crazy or a bad talent evaluator if you think that Eller wont become better than what he is right now : a third line center.

I'm sure the guy will perform and become a 2nd line C.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Eller has not developped into a first or second line center...at best he will
remain as a third line centre...and not that great at that.
As a center you must see the ice really well and create opportunities for your
wingers. He doesn't do that well.
I would rather see Eller on the wing...or trade him for a 1st round pick...
around 20th overall.

If we all put our head together I think we would come up with a pretty impressive list of players The Habs gave up on when they were very young and they went elsewhere and had pretty good careers.

Maybe none were superstars but they were/are very valueable to a team. I will also conceed that not all of them could have worked out here for whatever reason. But 22 is far too young to give up on a player IMO.

I`ll start

Ribiero
Robidas
Zubrus
Asham
Lapierre

Last edited by IceDaddy: 05-16-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old
05-16-2012, 10:56 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Pacioretty is 20 times better than Eller...and I came to that conclusion
immidiately. You build around guys like Max Pacioretty.
Talent...you either have it or you don't.
Obviously, you are not a good judge of talent...
I see the problem here, you don't have a sweet clue how to read. Where did I compare the two? Both started slow and are becoming the players they will be for the remainder of their careers. Brain first mouth second please.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
If we all put our head together I think we would come up with a pretty impressive list of players The Habs gave up on when they were very young and they went elsewhere and had pretty good careers.

Maybe none were superstars but they were/are very valueable to a team. I will also conceed that not all of them could have worked out here for whatever reason. But 22 is far too young to give up on a player IMO.

I`ll start

Ribiero
Robidas
Zubrus
Asham
Lapierre
I don't think Lapierre is any different from what he was here. Decent 3rd/4th line guy who runs hot and cold. The others we did let them go too soon, though Riberiro it was mostly for off ice stuff moreso than on ice production.

Closed Thread