HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 13.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
pezcore

vCash: 500
Cant believe that Gally is now #14 in the ISS rankings yet he's in the top 5 of most mock drafts.

Im starting to think that Grigs will be outside looking in of the top 10

Old
05-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Teamwork

I have the biggest feeling that the leafs will draft Jacob Trouba. I can just see it, it's really my gut feeling..

Old
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post
Cant believe that Gally is now #14 in the ISS rankings yet he's in the top 5 of most mock drafts.

Should we draft Forsberg/Gally or whoever with #3 and Grigo falls out of the top 10. I would be VERY happy if habs made a play for the next pick and drafted Grigo. As a top 3 he has too many question marks, but out of the top 10? I'd want him for sure.

We'd have two top prospects on our team. I can't complain with that.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Unless Columbus picks Murray unlikely,with Nash leaving they need a forward to replace him and #2 overall will get them a good forward out of the three I mentioned leaving two for the Habs to choose from.Barring a trade with Edmonton for the #1 pick that's the way it should play out.IMO

This is why I think they want either Yakupov or Grigorenko. Nash is leaving, that is almost guaranteed (and if it's T.O. than 5th overall isn't out of the question either---getting them a good Dman).

Yaks is a RW, Grigs plays C and RW. Both could possibly make the jump next year. Not to mention adding one of them in Nash's stead saves about 4-5M in actual salary.

They'd be the natural choices. I don't see the "russian factor" playing too much into it. Both chose to come to NA for their draft year (and Yak had 2 full seasons)...Filatov did not.

Old
05-16-2012, 01:48 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Woodlief on Grigorenko and Teravainen:

...while the other two are supremely skilled (they are right up there with Yakupov on pure skills), both have questions about their intensity level and emotional commitment.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ort/55015670/1

I'm wondering if anyone else shares this concern about Teravainen?
Never heard that about Teravainen. Woodlief is projecting the 5'10" ~160lbs figure into lack of intensity or commitment in the gym perhaps?

Old
05-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Never heard that about Teravainen. Woodlief is projecting the 5'10" ~160lbs figure into lack of intensity or commitment in the gym perhaps?
or by his parents for not making him more genetically prone to height?

Old
05-16-2012, 02:00 PM
windycity

seems odd since (1) Grant McGagg hasn't mentioned it as a question mark and (2) he's been rising not dropping like Grigs

maybe Woodlief is running interference for some GM . . .

Old
05-16-2012, 02:29 PM
habitue*

Galchenyuk or Forsberg. That's fine with me... If the Habs keep their pick

Old
05-16-2012, 02:30 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post

Doesn't make much sense ! Only reason: his year-long injury. THat's it. Next combine, he's gonna prove them wrong.

Old
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Doesn't make much sense ! Only reason: his year-long injury. THat's it. Next combine, he's gonna prove them wrong.
Maybe its because mock drafts aren't real. I trust iss waay befor sumones mock draft.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Maybe its because mock drafts aren't real. I trust iss waay befor sumones mock draft.
Let this be a lesson to yourself when you see how far off ISS is on Galchenyuk. The fact is that most of these services/publications are a joke as they are staffed by people who can't get hired by an NHL team. This isn't to say that there aren't any quality talent evaluators in these organizations but the overall body of work has to be seriously questioned. As for publications that claim to use confidential consensus rankings from NHL scouts.....there is alot of misinformation put forward as teams don't want to overhype their preferred picks. There are also many instances where publications intentionally raise and drop players to create buzz and to sell their product. I am not endorsing these mock drafts either on public forums for obvious credibility issues.

You have to take this information with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusion from actually seeing the prospect play.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I don't see Galchenyuk lasting beyond the top 5. If we don't take him, I don't see him getting past NYI and Toronto.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Grant McCagg

I sat down with an eastern conference crossover scout for a couple of hours today. I asked him who he thinks the Habs should draft - he said it should come down to Galchenyuk and Teravainen.

"With the puck he's amazing...he's got Giroux type skill..he also reminds me of Sakic. Only knock on him is he lets the puck come to him a little too much..to be that special kind of NHLer you hope he wants to get the puck more. But don't forget he's pretty skinny...what's he weigh..170 if that? The puck seems to follow him around anyway. And he's a late birthday...he's not done growing, he may end up being 6-0....6-0 185 or 190. Let's not forget Giroux was 5-10 in his draft year."

Old
05-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I sat down with an eastern conference crossover scout for a couple of hours today. I asked him who he thinks the Habs should draft - he said it should come down to Galchenyuk and Teravainen.

"With the puck he's amazing...he's got Giroux type skill..he also reminds me of Sakic. Only knock on him is he lets the puck come to him a little too much..to be that special kind of NHLer you hope he wants to get the puck more. But don't forget he's pretty skinny...what's he weigh..170 if that? The puck seems to follow him around anyway. And he's a late birthday...he's not done growing, he may end up being 6-0....6-0 185 or 190. Let's not forget Giroux was 5-10 in his draft year."
I have had very limited viewings of Teravainen but I had a very similar observation. He stays on the perimeter a little too much and seemed to be more of an opportunist than a pure creator.

He is very young and with more size and strength he may become more agressive but these are real enough concerns to keep him behind Galchenyuk imo.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Who is the scout talking about grant, TT?

Old
05-16-2012, 05:24 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Who is the scout talking about grant, TT?
Yes, TT.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Takashi

let's just draft grigs or gally, finished.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

I wonder how many replies have been posted about the same players... how about 2nd, 3rd or heck 6th rounders that might be interesting ?

I mean, seriously ?

Old
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
I wonder how many replies have been posted about the same players... how about 2nd, 3rd or heck 6th rounders that might be interesting ?

I mean, seriously ?
There is very little consensus on who is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. rounder. It makes it kind of silly to speculate on players who may be gone 3 rounds before you suggest taking them. We can debate the #3 pick because it is narrowed down to a handfull of players to pick from.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post

I mean, seriously ?
2nd rounder? Well I'd go with Grigorenko....

Old
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
2nd rounder? Well I'd go with Grigorenko....
lol

I allready used that one a couple of weeks ago.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I have had very limited viewings of Teravainen but I had a very similar observation. He stays on the perimeter a little too much and seemed to be more of an opportunist than a pure creator.

He is very young and with more size and strength he may become more agressive but these are real enough concerns to keep him behind Galchenyuk imo.
The scout did add that at this level Teravainen doesn't have to go after the puck, it follows him around. He said he may never have to be very aggressive because of his smarts and skills. He also told me he would pick Teravainen and Galchenyuk ahead of Yakupov...he wouldn't risk a top pick on a Russian player.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:04 PM
WHATaboutLOVE

Teravainen

I'm kinda split on Teravainen, on one side, I don't want to pick at number 3 a ''late riser'' and Forsberg look safer.

At the same time, if he was born like 5 days later, he would of been a 2013 pick, so he's a couple of months younger than other top picks, so it's normal to shine a bit later. (Jordan Staal was born sept 10 '88 and was drafted 2nd overrall, so not sure if my age argument is valid)

Old
05-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Viggo Mortensen

Am I the only one who find it weird that on the Habs official Facebook page, they posted a link on Morgan Rielly?

I mean, ok there's video about other possible picks on HabsTV, but why focus on Rielly?

Old
05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Am I the only one who find it weird that on the Habs official Facebook page, they posted a link on Morgan Rielly?

I mean, ok there's video about other possible picks on HabsTV, but why focus on Rielly?
They did it for Ceci too, I wouldn't worry too much.

Closed Thread