Josh Harding?

Are you guys set on re-signing him? He is a UFA
I think he can be a number 1, I'd love to have him in Toronto

Old
06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
He'll test the waters. I don't see him wanting to come back. He has bigger opportunities elsewhere.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

vCash: 500
Considering the amount of teams needing a number one, he'll leave. He's just shown too many flashes of being good to still be a backup for 20 games a year.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Considering the amount of teams needing a number one, he'll leave. He's just shown too many flashes of being good to still be a backup for 20 games a year.
I agree.

BUT

Old
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
Offer him the job and I bet he will take it, and I for one will be happy for him. He kind of got caught in bad-timing land around here, but he has been a damn good sport ever since. He deserves a shot at a #1 job.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

If he can stay healthy he could be a decent #1 somewhere.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

With Hackett in the wing, Fletcher won't be giving out a long-term deal to a goalie. I expect him to offer a one-year at a reasonable (at the very most $2.5M) price, and it will be up to Harding if he wants to look for a #1 job elsewhere. I do get the feeling he really likes it here though, especially since Fletch gave him a deal after missing an entire season.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:45 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Offer him the job and I bet he will take it, and I for one will be happy for him. He kind of got caught in bad-timing land around here, but he has been a damn good sport ever since. He deserves a shot at a #1 job.
That about sums it up. He was suppose to be groomed to take over for Manny, but Backstrom unexpectedly stepped in. He's never complained. I'd like to see how he can handle the starting job, which means he'll have to move on. I'm sure there are a few teams who will be ready to take him on.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:49 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Yeah, he would have to go to a team I just can't stand for me not to cheer for him. Even then, it'd just be like how I feel about Teemu and Saku: some of my favorite players, and I'm just sad to see their careers being wasted on such an un-respectable franchise.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Taylor26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
That about sums it up. He was suppose to be groomed to take over for Manny, but Backstrom unexpectedly stepped in. He's never complained. I'd like to see how he can handle the starting job, which means he'll have to move on. I'm sure there are a few teams who will be ready to take him on.
I second that

Old
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Sonofjorg

Don't forget that Backstrom's contract is up at the end of next year. Harding may want to resign here knowing that he would have a shot at number 1 next year.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:59 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofjorg View Post
Don't forget that Backstrom's contract is up at the end of next year. Harding may want to resign here knowing that he would have a shot at number 1 next year.
It would probably be a 1A/1B at that point, since Hackett is expected to get big minutes in the NHL starting in '13-'14.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:03 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Or just stick around and takeover when Backstrom isn't re-signed after this coming season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
It would probably be a 1A/1B at that point, since Hackett is expected to get big minutes in the NHL starting in '13-'14.
I wouldn't assume big minutes so easily. Minutes are earned, not gifted.

Harding was "expected" to take big minutes and then an injury and Backstrom getting those minutes instead changed everything.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:05 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Yeah, he would have to go to a team I just can't stand for me not to cheer for him. Even then, it'd just be like how I feel about Teemu and Saku: some of my favorite players, and I'm just sad to see their careers being wasted on such an un-respectable franchise.
Exactly. It'll take a lot for me to not cheer for him. Got a whole lot of respect for the guy, and would love to see him get the chance to play every night. Maybe he'll struggle. Who knows. But I hope he gets the chance to at least find out whether he has the chops for it.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:05 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Well I hope he gets it

Old
06-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

There's three scenarios with Harding that I could see happening.

1. He wants to be a starter and signs with a team like Columbus, Tampa, Toronto, etc. this coming season.

2. He likes it here and decides to sign a one year deal for one more season with us then leaves after next year and we re-sign Backstrom for a Backs-Hackett tandem in 2013-2014.

3. He likes it here and decides to sign a one year deal for one more season with us. Then during the next off-season, Fletcher decides to let Backstrom go and we re-sign Harding to a multi-year deal and have a Hackett-Harding tandem to start the 2013-2014 season.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:20 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
There's three scenarios with Harding that I could see happening.

1. He wants to be a starter and signs with a team like Columbus, Tampa, Toronto, etc. this coming season.

2. He likes it here and decides to sign a one year deal for one more season with us then leaves after next year and we re-sign Backstrom for a Backs-Hackett tandem in 2013-2014.

3. He likes it here and decides to sign a one year deal for one more season with us. Then during the next off-season, Fletcher decides to let Backstrom go and we re-sign Harding to a multi-year deal and have a Hackett-Harding tandem to start the 2013-2014 season.
I think #3 is the likeliest. Especially when you consider that Columbus, Tampa, Toronto, etc. are the alternatives, and Harding has seen firsthand how close we can get to a playoff spot.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:29 AM
grN1g

i think he'll resign and i believe fletchers pitch is going to be that backstroms contract is expiring and the #1 is open for either or, so its up too one of them to step up and show who wants it more.

harding loves it here and man he's been so loyal, i would hate to see him go but even if that did happen i would be happy for him getting a chance at a #1 spot somewhere, and would follow him and which ever team he ended up signing.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:41 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Bingo!

Old
06-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
I think #3 is the likeliest. Especially when you consider that Columbus, Tampa, Toronto, etc. are the alternatives, and Harding has seen firsthand how close we can get to a playoff spot.
I agree. I could see him going to Tampa Bay potentially. I get the feeling that Steve Y may try and make a deal for Luongo though. I can't see Harding choosing Columbus or Toronto. While Toronto is at least a team on the rise, they have just been a meat grinder for goalies the last few years. Harding could probably handle the insane scrutiny, but I don't see him willingly walking into that type of situation. Columbus is just a mess of an organization. I realized the hockey gods must really hate that club after losing the draft lottery. Think that if he does follow through with free agency, Chicago would be most likely spot. Or even New Jersey, as they don't seem to have any one in the pipeline to replace Brodeur. Gotta think next season will be his last.

That is a cool picture Talon.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
I agree. I could see him going to Tampa Bay potentially. I get the feeling that Steve Y may try and make a deal for Luongo though. I can't see Harding choosing Columbus or Toronto. While Toronto is at least a team on the rise, they have just been a meat grinder for goalies the last few years. Harding could probably handle the insane scrutiny, but I don't see him willingly walking into that type of situation. Columbus is just a mess of an organization. I realized the hockey gods must really hate that club after losing the draft lottery. Think that if he does follow through with free agency, Chicago would be most likely spot. Or even New Jersey, as they don't seem to have any one in the pipeline to replace Brodeur. Gotta think next season will be his last.

That is a cool picture Talon.
With the re-signing of Emery, I think we can rule out Chicago. It sounds like Marty isn't ready to hang em' up yet so I don't think he goes to NJ either.

If Harding leaves, it's gonna be to a team where he knows damn well that he's gonna be the best goalie they have, even if that does mean he'll have to battle a little bit with another netminder for the no. 1 job. There's no way that he'll go to another team to be a back-up when he can already do that here, and then some. He's more than a back-up here, but it's not quite a 1A-1B situation.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:20 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
I'll be really pissed if he doesn't sign here. We could've got a 2nd rounder for him

Old
06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I'll be really pissed if he doesn't sign here. We could've got a 2nd rounder for him
I must've missed this....who offered a 2nd round pick for Harding?

Old
06-03-2012, 12:43 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I hope he leaves. I just want to see him be a starter somewhere, and that won't ever be here.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
Not even on HFBoards.

Closed Thread