HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Top teams for 2012-2013 season

Old
08-01-2012, 07:40 AM
daver

vCash: 500
Top teams for 2012-2013 season

Wondering what teams are expected to win this season.

Halifax?
Quebec?

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:50 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Blainville Boisriand , Gatineau , Moncton..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:37 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Wondering what teams are expected to win this season.

Halifax?
Quebec?
Don't we already have a thread about this?

Add Blainville, Moncton and Gatineau to those two. Altho Hfx and Que are in the top tier right now.

Those are the only 5 that will make noise most likely, at least at this point anyways. Maybe Baie- Comeau or Val-d'Or or Rimouski...

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:30 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Don't we already have a thread about this?

Add Blainville, Moncton and Gatineau to those two. Altho Hfx and Que are in the top tier right now.

Those are the only 5 that will make noise most likely, at least at this point anyways. Maybe Baie- Comeau or Val-d'Or or Rimouski...
I don't see things your way young man for sure.
Things will fold out handsomely once the season starts and they start clearing out.

I expect a top 5 to be a little different....enjoy...

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:24 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Things will fold out handsomely once the season starts and they start clearing out.

halifax and quebec are clear front runners for the time being. you never know what will happen once the season starts. i expect moncton to be up there, but, not quite at the level of Quebec or halifax yet.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:03 AM
mmfhockey

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemq View Post
halifax and quebec are clear front runners for the time being. You never know what will happen once the season starts. I expect moncton to be up there, but, not quite at the level of quebec or halifax yet.
quebec's defense is a big question mark.....i dont know how it will react they did lose top def from last year edition...

mmfhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Hockey Buff

With an NHL lock out looming....teams will have all of their top players available from the start. IMO fighting for top spot will be amongst 4 teams Quebec, Halifax, Moncton and Blainville. Looking forward to the camps starting!

Hockey Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:26 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buff View Post
With an NHL lock out looming....teams will have all of their top players available from the start. IMO fighting for top spot will be amongst 4 teams Quebec, Halifax, Moncton and Blainville. Looking forward to the camps starting!
at this point, i would agree on those 4 teams, certainly on paper anyway!

Old
08-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:

Yes, the Titan...

Maybe this time we can beat you in the final on an offside goal.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buff View Post
Remember, we get something awesome (I'm not sure who) if Pageau goes back to Chicoutimi.

I hear Le Droit was speculating that there was some way we could ask for the player we get back to be Pageau himself, but I don't see how that's kosher under the rules. Hudon?

Old
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
at this point, i would agree on those 4 teams, certainly on paper anyway!
I concur!

Including Gatineau in there is a little premature.
In any case I do expect the Titan also to be in the mix pretty quick once the season kicks off.

Old
08-02-2012, 04:04 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
I concur!

Including Gatineau in there is a little premature.
In any case I do expect the Titan also to be in the mix pretty quick once the season kicks off.
Bathurst have weak D and no # 1 goaltender..Kind of strange considering Gatineau got their starter from Bathurst.

Last edited by WildcatMapleLeafs28: 08-02-2012 at 04:14 PM.
WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:22 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quebec should suffer from Grigorenko and Kucherov not being there at the start of the season. They'll lose some points.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:24 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Remember, we get something awesome (I'm not sure who) if Pageau goes back to Chicoutimi.

I hear Le Droit was speculating that there was some way we could ask for the player we get back to be Pageau himself, but I don't see how that's kosher under the rules. Hudon?
Pageau can't come back to Gatineau and a lock out won't affect his chances to make the AHL.

Old
08-02-2012, 04:36 PM
RJQuack

Quote:

Maybe when we get rolling ya, but for now, you're not going to hear another top 5. HFX,QUE, BLB, MON and GAT being5th is how it is. I'm sure you're responding to the fact I forgot Bathurst in my post, but yes they're in that group with Riki VDO, BC... Probably ahead of Riki and BC imo. I have them at 7-8... But I know you'll object that

Come Christmas time if the Titan get that #1 (which will cost a fortune) then they'll be in the top 5 ... But with the starter and 6D they have right now... It's just a glorified offensive team.... Oh and Gatineau have your starter (former) a better D and two great euros. Reway hasn't played, but was one of the top available players, so we shall see.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:50 PM
chsb

Quote:
Maybe when we get rolling ya, but for now, you're not going to hear another top 5. HFX,QUE, BLB, MON and GAT being5th is how it is. I'm sure you're responding to the fact I forgot Bathurst in my post, but yes they're in that group with Riki VDO, BC... Probably ahead of Riki and BC imo. I have them at 7-8... But I know you'll object that

Come Christmas time if the Titan get that #1 (which will cost a fortune) then they'll be in the top 5 ... But with the starter and 6D they have right now... It's just a glorified offensive team.... Oh and Gatineau have your starter (former) a better D and two great euros. Reway hasn't played, but was one of the top available players, so we shall see.
Sorry to tell you Gatineau does not have the top line the Titan have....
Hyka is very good, but the linemates do not compare to our first line.

I do not deny that Gatineau might be in the mix down the road, but they will need to also add a couple of top 2 liners in order to do so....
They are not a top-5 team at the moment.

Steeves is good but he brought the Titan nowhere in the last two playoffs and did not win one game on his own.
The Titan were hoping he would steal one game against Chicoutimi and that could have changed that series...to no avail.

I think you sorely overrate him.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Pageau can't come back to Gatineau and a lock out won't affect his chances to make the AHL.
I didn't think so either, but Hudon would be pretty good too.

A lockout does affect Pageau's chances of making the B-Sens though, because there will be a number of younger Senators who go and play in Bingo for the duration of the lockout. It's a numbers game...

Old
08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Dubé and Réway? That's a pretty damn good top line. Réway blew Hyka's stats from two years ago away in the same league at the same age last year. Hyka was considered good in that league, Réway was better, and I'm expecting him to be as good as or better than Hyka was last year.

As for Steeves, really, we just need Groulx not to try to ride him for the entire year like he did to Lacerte last year. I have enough confidence in the team as a whole that I'm comfortable going forward with a good, if not great, goalie. Basically a guy who won't totally **** the bed at the end of the season because he's exhausted.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:15 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
I didn't think so either, but Hudon would be pretty good too.

A lockout does affect Pageau's chances of making the B-Sens though, because there will be a number of younger Senators who go and play in Bingo for the duration of the lockout. It's a numbers game...
He was going to make it last year. Murray wanted to keep and now he would send him back? It makes no sense...

Old
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Dubé and Réway? That's a pretty damn good top line. Réway blew Hyka's stats from two years ago away in the same league at the same age last year. Hyka was considered good in that league, Réway was better, and I'm expecting him to be as good as or better than Hyka was last year.

As for Steeves, really, we just need Groulx not to try to ride him for the entire year like he did to Lacerte last year. I have enough confidence in the team as a whole that I'm comfortable going forward with a good, if not great, goalie. Basically a guy who won't totally **** the bed at the end of the season because he's exhausted.
Stats don't say everything. Filippi had the same kind of stats, in the same league, at the same age.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:28 AM
RJQuack

Quote:

I do not deny that Gatineau might be in the mix down the road, but they will need to also add a couple of top 2 liners in order to do so....
They are not a top-5 team at the moment.

Steeves is good but he brought the Titan nowhere in the last two playoffs and did not win one game on his own.
The Titan were hoping he would steal one game against Chicoutimi and that could have changed that series...to no avail.

I think you sorely overrate him.
Because your top line = best team right

So who is a top five team then? Valdor? No. Bathurst? No. Riki, BC? No. Gatineau appear to look the best out of them so they get "#5" at this point. Yes, they will need to add to compete with the big dogs, but they look decent now.

But continue the crusade to validate the Titan!

And how convienent. Steeves is no longer a Titan so he's overrated, yet if he wasn't traded he would be compared to Carey Price, and would be the next Martin Brodeur. Just like if Salvail got traded, he would be back to being a 4th liner, not a superstar like you think he is.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:06 AM
chsb

Quote:
Because your top line = best team right

So who is a top five team then? Valdor? No. Bathurst? No. Riki, BC? No. Gatineau appear to look the best out of them so they get "#5" at this point. Yes, they will need to add to compete with the big dogs, but they look decent now.

But continue the crusade to validate the Titan!

And how convienent. Steeves is no longer a Titan so he's overrated, yet if he wasn't traded he would be compared to Carey Price, and would be the next Martin Brodeur. Just like if Salvail got traded, he would be back to being a 4th liner, not a superstar like you think he is.
So according to your Gospel, we have to accept that Gatineau is at #5?

I see.

Where did I write that Steeves should be compared to Carey Price?

Steeves is what he is and I gave the opinion that Steeves did not bring the Titan where they were hoping he would in the last two playoffs.

You seem to forget that Brennan is no slouch either and that Mason McDonald will be a Titan next season.
They are not proven, but they surely have a high upside as a tandem.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:

I see.

Steeves is what he is and I gave the opinion that Steeves did not bring the Titan where they were hoping he would in the last two playoffs.

You seem to forget that Brennan is no slouch either and that Mason McDonald will be a Titan next season.
McDonald will have to pull a Fucale in order for Bathurst to really make a push into the top 5. I'm not convinced on Brennan right yet. He performed well in Major Midget but definitely not last year. McDonald was one of the biggest steals in the draft and I think he'll be the only guy who's able to win on a consistent base for Bathurst.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:58 AM
ClemQ

Quote:

I see.

I dont think anyone is arguing the first line players. All those teams mentionned have above average first lines. Unfortunately, first lines dont win games on their own. Especially not in the playoffs. More often Goaltending will win in the playoffs. And i think bathurst is not close to top 5 in goaltending. Not based on previous performances. That's where team depth comes into play. At this point, i have to agree when looking at team depth up front, defense and in nets, Bathurst have much to prove. I agree with CHSB that they have lots of potential, but, until that potential becomes reality, that's all it is....potential. Example - Brennan: very good goalie, but has not been "the man" yet at this level. Much resembles Steeves of a few years ago. What happens if he falters? There have not been many 16yr olds who have made impacts from the net historically. Macdonald is not ready to start in this league yet. The potential is there, but, it's a huge jump and very difficult to make.
same story up front and same story on the D. The potential is there, and if all the players play to their capabilities, you can count bathurst in the mix.

I think when people put up the 5 teams mentionned, its because the depth is more evident and players have already exhibited certain results that people can count on.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
I dont think anyone is arguing the first line players. All those teams mentionned have above average first lines. Unfortunately, first lines dont win games on their own. Especially not in the playoffs. More often Goaltending will win in the playoffs. And i think bathurst is not close to top 5 in goaltending. Not based on previous performances. That's where team depth comes into play. At this point, i have to agree when looking at team depth up front, defense and in nets, Bathurst have much to prove. I agree with CHSB that they have lots of potential, but, until that potential becomes reality, that's all it is....potential. Example - Brennan: very good goalie, but has not been "the man" yet at this level. Much resembles Steeves of a few years ago. What happens if he falters? There have not been many 16yr olds who have made impacts from the net historically. Macdonald is not ready to start in this league yet. The potential is there, but, it's a huge jump and very difficult to make.
same story up front and same story on the D. The potential is there, and if all the players play to their capabilities, you can count bathurst in the mix.

I think when people put up the 5 teams mentionned, its because the depth is more evident and players have already exhibited certain results that people can count on.
This. Plus the defensive depth isn't the greatest. I know stats don't tell the whole story but only 3 dmen ended up with a positive +/- rating, and one of them got traded away. I assume these defencemen will improve but I don't think they have enough to really be able to fend off opposing teams enough to catapult themselves into the top 5. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a top 5 team? No.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote