HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

it's like musical chairs, but with roster spots (avys/wallpaper in posts 1&2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
If Jays take Giolito, they essentially need to punt their 22nd overall pick if they want to be able to pay Giolito because he will cost at least 3M, if not more.

If Jays can get him, it is absolutely an steal. He could have gone 1st overall pick if he stayed healthy this year.
Punt punt punt away!!

Old
06-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Stats01

Romero, Morrow, Alvarez, Drabek, Hutchison,

Giolito, Sanchez, Syndergaard, Nicolino, Norris, Comer and on and on and on.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:06 PM
metafour

Quote:
If Jays take Giolito, they essentially need to punt their 22nd overall pick if they want to be able to pay Giolito because he will cost at least 3M, if not more.
They'd have to skimp on several of the next few picks. Giolito will realistically cost $4-5 million; I see no reason for him to sign for $3 million.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafour View Post
They'd have to skimp on several of the next few picks. Giolito will realistically cost $4-5 million; I see no reason for him to sign for $3 million.
Which we have the luxury of doing. The Jays have had multiple picks due to lost free agents the last 2 years. If we have to punt a few picks to sign Giolito you do it.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:18 PM
metafour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Which we have the luxury of doing. The Jays have had multiple picks due to lost free agents the last 2 years. If we have to punt a few picks to sign Giolito you do it.
Well you cant just "punt" the picks; you have to find guys who will sign for below slot so that you keep the accumulated savings in your bonus pool. We have the staff and accumulated picks to pull this off; but it would take a good amount of planning and you'd have to be certain on the asking price of Giolito. Giolito's asking price is yet to be established...its possible that he's told teams; but nothing has leaked to the draft experts yet. If you underestimate his asking price then you're basically screwed. Even after all that you're still looking at a guy who is currently injured and who isn't going to throw a bullpen session for scouts before the draft. Is the risk worth it? I'd go for it; but there is definitely a reason why he could drop to unsignable status and why no one knows
what will happen to him yet. I still wouldn't be surprised at all if one of the Top 10 teams simply ends up taking him and he doesn't even sniff our first pick.

Old
06-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I would expect to see Vlad up here before Thames is. The team knows Vlad is only going to DH for the team so they're just seeing how he produces with the bat and so far he's been torching it, he'll be up June 10th to 15th. Thames needs to work on a couple of things so just like Lind he's going to be down there for a while IMO.
Vlad is coming up, but I don't think it's going to matter to much with regards to Thames.

McCoy won't be up for long, that's for sure, so he'll go down and they'll call up another outfielder. I assume they don't plan on having Vlad play outfield so they'll need a new person up. Right now it seems like they're carrying 13 pitchers and only 3 bench so unless they want McCoy to stay, they have to call up another outfielder and Thames really is the only option.

Wasn't it Farrell that said he'd be down for a few weeks to tweak mechanics than come up? Lind needs to work on a lot, completely revamp his swing. Thames needs work but he's by far the best avaiable option to be the other outfielder.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
If Giolito goes prior, I wouldn't mind using that first on Cecchini. He's great defensively at both middle infield positions, has speed, athleticism and boasts a quick bat.
I would take him with the 22nd pick but I don't know if I like the ceiling all that much. He's got a great glove but there are questions about his bat.

I am hoping we could get McCullers at 17. His stuff is top notch and could be one of the best players in the draft if he can stick to starting.

Quote:
Me neither but I said "at least". It makes him difficult to fit into the budget with that price so I'm not sure if Jays can pull it off.

But let's assume for a second that Giolito does fall to us, could the Jays pick him and continue accumulating high ceiling talent throughout the draft and just go way over the cap to sign him? Yes, it's a hefty penalty but Giolito is a top 3 talent in any draft and if you think he is healthy, then it could be a great pick.

Quote:
One problem with doing this is if you don't end up signing Giolito, you are screwed because you've basically messed up your whole draft. So the Jays will have to be absolutely sure Giolito can sign if they want to do something like this. You also have to be sure he is totally healthy and can remain healthy because you would be essentially punting 3-4 picks and weigh the risk of drafting Giolito or accumulating 3-5 high ceiling guys.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:08 PM
TheKule

I'm not completely familiar with the new CBA, but I think the Jays should draft the best player available and worry about signings after. If they should get Giolito at 17, great, he's probably worth losing the Beede comp pick if that's what it takes to sign him. If he doesn't sign, you lock down 22, and take a compensation pick in next year's draft.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:15 PM
metafour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKule View Post
I'm not completely familiar with the new CBA, but I think the Jays should draft the best player available and worry about signings after. If they should get Giolito at 17, great, he's probably worth losing the Beede comp pick if that's what it takes to sign him. If he doesn't sign, you lock down 22, and take a compensation pick in next year's draft.
Under the new CBA if you fail to sign a pick (Top 10 rounds) you lose the bonus allocated to it from your overall draft pool. Because of this you cant purposely throw picks away (ie: draft someone, choose not to sign them) without being penalized heavily. Our total draft pool is approximately $8.8 million; #17 slot is $2 million and #22 slot is $1.8 million. If we fail to sign #22 then we lose that $1.8 million completely and our total pool now becomes $7 million.

So if you take Giolito at #17 and he wants $4 million (for example) then you need to somehow find a way to scrape up an extra $2 million to add to the $2 million you already have allocated to the 17th pick. That means cutting under-slot deals with several of the next few picks.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
TheKule

Quote:
Under the new CBA if you fail to sign a pick (Top 10 rounds) you lose the bonus allocated to it from your overall draft pool.
Ahaha ok. I was imagining a situation where the Jays would continually leave their first rounder unsigned so that every year they could go overslot on the comp pick. Don't know why I thought MLB would allow such a massive loophole.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:32 PM
metafour

Quote:
He's got a great glove but there are questions about his bat.
There aren't "questions" about Cecchini's bat; there simply isn't a whole lot of high-upside present. Cecchini has an advanced approach and a consistent line-drive swing, and he also has a lot of experience hitting with wood. The "downside" is simply that he doesn't profile as being an impact hitter.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:44 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Keith Law in his mock draft has us taking Giolito with our first pick and Gavin Cecchini a high school SS with our second first rounder. I would absolutely love to get Giolito at #17. He would automatically become our #1 prospect after D'Arnaud is called up. For people who don't know, he's 6 ft 6 230 lbs and he turns 18 in July. Throws mid to high 90's with a sharp curve and a developing change-up. This guy has true ace potential. His injury will scare some teams thats why he will probably drop.
I'm not sure about drafting a high schooler with the 22 pick if we draft Giolito with the 17 pick. High schoolers are usually looking for a money incentive to skip college and we'll have to find money somewhere for Giolito. I think if they take the chance then they'll go with a safe easy/cheap sign with 22 especially considering they won't want to lose that pick.

Problem is there are a lot of HS prospects around where we're picking so that doesn't help unless they go further down the list which isn't the greatest idea.

Last edited by dredeye: 06-01-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old
06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

The Mets are an inning away from their first no hitter ever.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:12 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

in Lansing tonight

Nicolino 4 IP 1 hit 0 runs 1bb 2 so 0.92 era now
Sanchez 4 IP 5 hits 0 runs 1bb 3 so 0.47 era now

The lost 1 0 in the 10th innning on an un earned run

LV tonight

Gose 4 for 5 4 runs 1 double 1rbi
Hech 2 for 4 1 double 3 rbi
D'Arnaud 0 for 4 with 2 so 1 sac fly for rbi
Thames hitting .214 so far and 1 for 5 tonight and surprisingly hit into the only dp of the night
Gomes 2 for 4 with 2 doubles and a walk
Sierra 3 for 5 with 3hr and 5 rbi (wouldn't normally post him but that's impressive)

AA game still in progress tied at two

Cecil pitched 5.2 innings 10hits 2 earned runs 3 bb 5 so

Old
06-02-2012, 01:44 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

never realized we were over 1000 posts here. New thread in a minute.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 23 GP, 9-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Closed Thread